Pre Season 2021-22

kjurwi

Would love us to play some really just to score a lot of goals and keep a clean sheet. A Dutch 3rd division team or something like that.

But i wonder if we would play like turds and lose. 

Not in a good Saintsmood right now.

In case anyone interested.

Only 3 other clubs have confirmed fixtures - and all of them currently staying within the British Isles.

I’d like us to play a load of Championship clubs ideally, would be keen on southern-ish clubs like Millwall, Luton, Reading away etc etc

78444615-2DAA-40AA-A96F-DBF375F2A20E.thumb.jpeg.0d7d7a09e30bc68b4cab170275ee137a.jpeg

At the Leeds match, one of the staff in the Saints bar/suite told me they expect the “standard” match against reasonably decent European competition at St Mary’s on the weekend before the season starts. Hardly a surprise, but thought I’d pass it on.

On 26/05/2021 at 15:59, rooney said:

Why not Poole Town? They probably still have Stan Rickerby, Wilf Mannion and Les Phillips playing for them.

We got run all over the place down there last time we had them .. loadsa Bournemouth turned up and was only 30 maybe 40 Saints .. the ground had scaffolding led around all over the place and it was very hairy situation to say the least .. think we won but never saw the end of the game .. 1988 I think 🤔 anyone there that day ? 

13 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

We got run all over the place down there last time we had them .. loadsa Bournemouth turned up and was only 30 maybe 40 Saints .. the ground had scaffolding led around all over the place and it was very hairy situation to say the least .. think we won but never saw the end of the game .. 1988 I think 🤔 anyone there that day ? 

Went there in pre-season 1987 but that was at the old Wimborne Road ground where they have the speedway. They have a new ground at The Tatnam now which floods each time it rains heavily.. I remember we had Russell Osmund and Paul Rideout playing for us whilst they had our favourite, Forbes Phillipson Masters in midfield.

• Like 1

On 30/05/2021 at 10:32, Charlie Wayman said:

The mystery of the "behind closed doors" match has evaporated that's for sure.

Why not play Pompey instead of some obscure European side if fans will be allowed in. Guaranteed sell out and lots of overtime for our local bobbies.

..Surely Pompey already rate as  " an obscure European side " - don't they ?   

We may not be in the EU anymore, but they would still qualify  geographically-speaking. 

Q - Do you need a special vaccination to visit Fratton Park?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Any further rumours on who we're playing in Pre season? 

Hopefully a couple of localish away games and home fixtures to gives fans who didn't get a chance to go last season an opportunity to get back to St Mary's. 

On 27/06/2021 at 11:51, JRM said:

Any further rumours on who we're playing in Pre season? 

Hopefully a couple of localish away games and home fixtures to gives fans who didn't get a chance to go last season an opportunity to get back to St Mary's. 

Pompey, Bournemouth & Brighton the ideal Pre Season 🤣

On 01/06/2021 at 15:30, david in sweden said:

..Surely Pompey already rate as  " an obscure European side " - don't they ?   

We may not be in the EU anymore, but they would still qualify  geographically-speaking. 

Q - Do you need a special vaccination to visit Fratton Park?

I think they've got it down to smallpox, rabies and super gonorrhea these days, but you will likely need to quarantine for six months and undergo a neurological flow test. 

Southampton

When do the first players report back? Monday, July 5.

How many will return later? Southampton have had four players at the Euros (Che Adams, Stuart Armstrong, Jan Bednarekand Jannik Vestergaard) and their returns will be staggered. Only Vestergaard’s Denmark got beyond the group stage.

Are the squad going anywhere? Southampton have two pre-season camps pencilled in. The first one is in Austria, with the second one in the UK. However, the trip to Austria depends on the latest government guidelines. The club will wait until the final moment before making a decision, although contingency plans are in place.

Pre-season fixtures: If they do go to Austria, they will take part in matches there. Southampton will be spending five days in Wales at the end of July and will play Cardiff (July 27) & Swansea (July 31).

How does this differ from the summer of 2019? Southampton’s pre-season camp was split between Austria and their Staplewood training ground, with a host of players also flying to China for a friendly against Guangzhou City. Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side also travelled to the Netherlands to play Feyenoord. Their UK-based games were against Preston North End and Cologne.

Dan Sheldon

The delta variant of Covid-19 has dictated our pre-season plans and quite rightly so. It is bound to be restricted and disappoint but all that matters is that our players get as many match miles into their legs as possible ready for the new season in August.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

Suprised to see JWP back so soon given his England outings. He has barely had a break considering how much he played last season - presumably thats his choice.

First team wise only Diallo and Djenepo missing aside from GKs and Intls.

Lots of players pictured who should/could leave: Lemina, Elyounoussi, Long, Obafemi, Valery...still a lot to be done.

Edited by Dusic

Interesting that judging from the pics of the training so far there are no U23s who are training with the first team. Usually at the start of pre season there are 2 or 3 but even last week before this covid outbreak there were none.

Pretty telling about the level in that squad overall and what Ralph thinks of them.

Very suprised we haven't yet made any signings to strengthen that U23 group.

Also...how is Harry Lewis still there?!

Edited by Dusic

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

This.  It's so weird given results last season & what was said that we've decided to thin the squads out and make them younger.  

Fine idea in principle, but odd given the results last year.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

So odd, right?  The 3rd choice keeper role is such a weird position.  

I thought he was scheduled to go out on loan?

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

Interesting that judging from the pics of the training so far there are no U23s who are training with the first team. Usually at the start of pre season there are 2 or 3 but even last week before this covid outbreak there were none.

Pretty telling about the level in that squad overall and what Ralph thinks of them.

Covid is rife in the U23s so that's probably why. Friendly against Crawley cancelled.

Edited by Master Bates

Anyone else find that without our other Intls back you see all the photos and it really hits home how thin and lacking in real PL quality the squad is?

Of those currently training only really KWP, Romeu, JWP, Ings, Walcott and Redmond have any really proven PL pedigree, certainly of the outfield players. Of those one is leaving, one is way past his best and one is very inconsistent.

7 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Anyone else find that without our other Intls back you see all the photos and it really hits home how thin and lacking in real PL quality the squad is?

Of those currently training only really KWP, Romeu, JWP, Ings, Walcott and Redmond have any really proven PL pedigree, certainly of the outfield players. Of those one is leaving, one is way past his best and one is very inconsistent.

Is that second one Redmond or Walcott?

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Sadly this is the result of years and years of terrible squad management. It will take some time to get back to where we were but I'd like to think we are making some 'baby steps' back in the right direction, it just takes some time and it will be overall several windows because we have no money. We just have to hope we continue to keep our head above the water really.

Great to see Sam involved though, must be tough for him personally so I'm glad the club are keeping him around.

Edited by S-Clarke

Bit of a disappointing pre season so far, from Monday crowds are allowed back in full but all Saints have managed to announce so far is two friendlies in Wales both of which have banned away fans. Going to end up going to Yeovil to see the U23s at this rate. 

8 minutes ago, sifter said:

Is it correct that Saints will not be selling tickets for the Swansea game?

If so, I guess we just buy tickets and sit with the Swansea fans, given that they are on general sale.

I have thought about that. But what if they check IDs before going in? I guess I would be ok as my home address is 130 miles from Southampton.

41 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I have thought about that. But what if they check IDs before going in? I guess I would be ok as my home address is 130 miles from Southampton.

Good point. I dont imagine they would enforce ID checks that include proof of residency. They would have to notify that intention as not many people would be able to prove that on demand.

Is there any indication at all that we're going to play more than the 2 games currently announced? I know with travel restricted and a long season in 20/21 there seems to be less PSFs in general but 2 matches is hardly ideal prep for the new season, especially with the risk of them being postponed (as we've seen with others recently) a real threat given the current COVID case level in the UK.