Predictions for 2021-22 Season

Edmonton Saint

18 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

We’ve improved because we have multiple defensive permutations that we didn’t have last year, and wing backs on both sides who will be pivotal to an effective attacking style.

Just to clarify, what permutations do you think we have this year that we didn’t last year? I don’t see it myself, Perraud looks like for like to me, jury is well out on how good he is of course. Livramento too early to tell IMO.

Heart says 15th/16th, head says 18th or worse. If Ings had gone a bit sooner we would have been in a stronger position to take our time with his replacement, can't help feeling we are going to rush this and sign up the first forward who shows an interest. I really don't think the club were expecting Ings to go, they knew there was no top four interest, and were prepared to take Ings word that he would leave only for top four. 

If anyone is expecting anything less than a relegation battle they are seriously deluded. 

Sheffield Utd had a shit end to the season before last and went down with a bullet last season after strengthening their squad. We had a shit middle and end to last season and haven't strengthened so far, in fact we are definitely much weaker without Ings. I can see a relegation season rivalling theirs IF we don't at a minimum get in a decent replacement for Ings plus 2 more, probably midfield reinforcement and sensible left back cover.  

• Like 4

I think if Shane Long's anywhere near the pitch we can forget it. The 2nd half of last season is where we're at now, minus our goalscorer. Adams may step up a bit but I doubt it, and it's of course it's our "defense" that's going to let us down. We have so many issues at the club it's a wonder we've survived this long. This seasons 0-9 will probably be at the Etihad (bets anyone?). Forgive the pessimism, I've been a Saints fan for 45 years, it grinds you down eventually! I have a dream, that Messi has been a lifelong fan of MLT and wants to play for us for free...

Anyway 19th, just above Brentford on goal difference.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Just to clarify, what permutations do you think we have this year that we didn’t last year? I don’t see it myself, Perraud looks like for like to me, jury is well out on how good he is of course. Livramento too early to tell IMO.

We have four decent-ish CDs and cover at RWB that we didn't have last year. We have a LWB who already seems to be about four times as engaged as Bertrand was last year - that's not a "like for like" to me. The strength at Wing Back is key - it makes us better going forward, and it makes us better defensively and gives us various options at the back. I think our CDs will be less exposed when we're under pressure.

Having strong wing backs on both sides, not just one, changes a lot of things for the better.

The caveats remain, but so does the potential for nice young surprises - like Livramento.

Twelfth might be pushing it but I certainly don't see us below fourteenth.

• Like 1

I think there is a lot of evidence of form flowing from one season into the next, just like 19/20 to 20/21 when we finished strongly and started really well. Unfortunately given our end to the season, I think it is more than likely that that will carry over this year and IMO we will be bottom three at Christmas. I can't see us having the financial clout to attract anyone who would be capable of changing it. So for me I think this season we may be one of the teams who gives a bit of hope to those coming up, that there are a couple of teams already in the prem who may give them a chance to stay up!

• Like 1

It clear not many of us have forgotten the utterly dreadful end to last season. In addition to that, we’ve now sold our best player and our main goalscorer.

It’s going to be an utter clusterfuck if we don’t strengthen significantly!

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, John B said:

I do not know where we will finish but we have some decent players and we will not go down

We do have some decent players , but we do not have 11 decent players and we also don’t have  capable squad players to cover injuries and loss off form, therein lies the problem.

Edited by Toussaint

Well, I watched the community shield just now, and although both teams are far better than us there were a lot of misplaced passes and lack of control, witness the defending for the goal. The match report I read on the Man U - Everton game was also fairly negative about the latter, so although we hate going to Goodison Park perhaps the first game is as good as any.  As Whelk said "Everton also has potential to be hilarious car crash.", so it would be good if we could start off the process.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Killers Knee said:

Goal difference last season was -21. Remove the 12 from Ings and we are on -33 which, if you order the table by GD, will put us 18th.  More interesting is who will get the 9 goal bonus this season?

Yeah that is exactly how football works

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LGTL said:

I think we’ll go down. I also think RH won’t be here after 10-15 games. 

Once again, it’s a case of hope and pray for 3 teams worse then us. 

Unless he walks that aint happening. The club is in it for the long haul with Ralph

Saints are weaker this year, I think we are all agreed on that.

However so are a bunch of other teams.

Its going to be a good old fashioned relegation scrap. Beat those around us and we stay up ... simples.

Assuming a few more signings, I'm going with 16th.

However a big factor will be the reaction of a jaundiced supporter base. I don't think the team has the resilience to withstand the inevitable negative vibes, after a string of defeats.

Anyhow bring it on. I don't fear relegation, I just want the team to fight hard.

2 hours ago, Killers Knee said:

Goal difference last season was -21. Remove the 12 from Ings and we are on -33 which, if you order the table by GD, will put us 18th.  More interesting is who will get the 9 goal bonus this season?

Ah but then you need to subtract the goals that Bertrand caused and also add in ones that he could have got assist on if he could be arsed to run down the wing...

42 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Yep, sad bunch of quitters. 

Let's hope the squad aren't. 

I think the default is to be slightly apprehensive, pessimistic and hope that somehow we are much better. It comes from the pain of being optimistic and having it blow up in your face. 

We all want Saints to win but it feels like we are going to need to weather the storm a bit until we can undo the mistakes that Reed and Kruger made.

Time will tell.

Edited by OttawaSaint

8 minutes ago, JRM said:

Matches my thoughts. 19th. 

And mine. We were utter shit last half of last season and seen nothing to suggest this will turn around. There is no momentum or positivity around the place. The squad is weaker, we can’t defend and we’ve just lost our only reliable source of goals. Plus we’ve got a very tough start and we all know what this lot are like when things go against us. We do have some talented players but we’re a sinking ship and I think this could be the year we go under. Unless of course there are somehow three teams worse than us.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, John B said:

I do not know where we will finish but we have some decent players and we will not go down

If that's what our aims are. Then sooner or later we will go down, no wonder ings left, we have no ambition anymore. What a boring club we have become.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

And mine. We were utter shit last half of last season and seen nothing to suggest this will turn around. The squad is weaker, we can’t defend and we’ve just lost our only reliable source of goals. Plus we’ve got a very tough start and we all know what this lot are like when things go against us. We do have some talented players but we’re a sinking ship and I think this could be the year we go under. 

So much negativity around the club mate, no football for 18 months and yet quite a few I know can't be bothered to go,  Everton (a) Man Utd (h) Newcastle (a) West Ham (h) Man City (a) , nightmare start for us at grounds we struggle at,,I'll be amazed if we're not bottom after that. (1 point in equivalent fixtures last season)

I believe in the power of momentum carrying positively or negatively from one season to the next.

Given how badly we finished last season, coupled with the current squad I can’t see how it won’t be an entire season of leaked goals and missed chances , topped off by relegation. I would go so far as saying it could be an embarrassingly poor attempt at survival with little heart or grit. 

The only nugget of hope I’m holding on to is the final weeks of the transfer window. Surely the powers that be can see what we need and what’s coming if the don’t invest. It’s not about throwing cash around, it’s about protecting their investment. 

If we don’t get 2-3 decent players in I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Ralph go. This could be either him walking or getting the sack if the board decide the only hope is fresh blood. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

So we're all agreed then that we won't sign any more players this window? Honestly the predictions in this thread are ridiculous.

Who agreed on that? Where is it posted that we won’t sign anyone else?

Most people looking at it objectively. Since the Liverpool win we’ve been abject and relegation form, all that’s changed since then is: Bertrand and Ings gone, Perraud and Livremento in. JWP injured, Vestergaard still on holiday and Shane Long is back?

Forgive us for not thinking we’ll get off to a storming start.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JRM said:

So much negativity around the club mate, no football for 18 months and yet quite a few I know can't be bothered to go,  Everton (a) Man Utd (h) Newcastle (a) West Ham (h) Man City (a) , nightmare start for us at grounds we struggle at,,I'll be amazed if we're not bottom after that. (1 point in equivalent fixtures last season)

The worry is you could see us getting a couple of thrashings in those games too. We won’t be able to handle United’s attack, we lost to 9 man Newcastle and could easily have lost by a lot more at city last season. Plus we always lose at Everton and west ham usually beat us. There really isn’t much to look forward too, we’ve basically got to hope there are 3 shitter teams than us. There are man for man ability wise but mentality and momentum aren’t on our side either.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

So we're all agreed then that we won't sign any more players this window? Honestly the predictions in this thread are ridiculous.

We'll get some players in and finish 12th to 16th

How is saying "on current form with current squad equals relegation", ridiculous when all you've done is caveat a 16th place finish (which FWIW is still a relegation battle) by adding in "we'll get some players".

We will get some players to finish 16th rather than 18th. Brilliant, well done.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

How is saying "on current form with current squad equals relegation", ridiculous when all you've done is caveat a 16th place finish (which FWIW is still a relegation battle) by adding in "we'll get some players".

We will get some players to finish 16th rather than 18th. Brilliant, well done.

If this thread is about predicting how we'll do next season, why would you base your prediction on our current squad?

15 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

We'll get some players in and finish 12th to 16th

No one has agreed that. Its obvious we will and I see absolutely no one at all saying we won't sign anyone.

It's pretty easy to envisage that we will sign some players but still be in the relegation mix and perfectly possible to be relegated. Sheffield United signed a twenty plus million pound striker and went down abjectly last season.

• Like 1

Jesus those first 5 fixtures!?! 

I think well need to hopecwe can somehow grind out a couple of draws out of that lot. Zero points and a couple of spankings seems likely. The club has the air of a beaten dog right now, head down just trying to avoid the inevitable thrashings.

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

If this thread is about predicting how we'll do next season, why would you base your prediction on our current squad?

That’s all we can do. Tell you what, we can open up a “predictions with an imaginary squad” thread for you and we can all wax lyrical about the tandem of Eduardo  and Armstrobg blasting us into the top 6!

7 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Good point, however I just can't see the club with current leadership signing anyone who will make a difference.  Like it or not, Ings will be a big loss. The fact he did f**k all from December and the team were in free fall shows how much of a loss he will be.  They'll have to pull of some genius transfers to replace him AND find a decent centre back AND find a '6'.

If Ward-Prowse is also sold as per the rumours (whether agent or not), then that's the free kicks from last season wiped off.

No, sorry, not feeling it right now, but by the end of August, I'd of course love to be amazed ... 

Edit: I want to also caveat my own post because many friends will say I'm a 'happy clapper' usually. 

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 2

We’re not good enough in the key parts of the pitch.

We are half-decent in midfield, but that’s just for the pretty passing in the middle-third of the pitch. It doesn’t win matches.

We don’t have enough guile to score the goals we need, and we are liable to concede at any time. Plus we won’t have the positivity in the ground for home games that the fans of the 3 promoted teams will create, particularly Brentford.

I very much fear this will not end well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

No one has agreed that. Its obvious we will and I see absolutely no one at all saying we won't sign anyone.

It's pretty easy to envisage that we will sign some players but still be in the relegation mix and perfectly possible to be relegated. Sheffield United signed a twenty plus million pound striker and went down abjectly last season.

Perhaps I've misrepresented the thread a bit there, but Sheffield United isn't a good comparison. They were team of championship level players who massively overachieved for one season and bought a striker who failed. We have a squad which needs some reinforcements but in essence it is a Premier League quality squad

• Confused 2

Don't replace ings and we're in trouble - Looks like a lot of fans think we won't be replacing him which is just mental to me. 

Replace ings and the squad is stronger than last year and back to full fitness with JWP. 

Key man for how well we'll start is JWP, and if we do get off to a terrible start we'll be playing catch up - no matter how much you dress it up as "play every team twice".

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Hmm. I think our EPL quality players are: KWP, Vest, JWP, Armstrong and Romeu. Maybe Adams.

Perraud, Tella, Salisu and yes, Adams, are all way too good for the championship. Then you've got the replacement for Ings who hopefully will be, and maybe another signing

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

Took the 5/1 on Saints to go down a fortnight ago as I knew that price would only go one way and it was pretty obvious Ings was going.  I even think 20/1 to finish bottom is a big price but we may just avoid that. Sadly, I don’t have any faith at all that more than half the Ings money will be spent. Knowing Saints, we’ll probably end up signing someone like McBurnie! 

Honestly think the cheeky couple of quid each way I’ve had on Che Adams to be top scorer at 100/1 needs to come in or we’re doomed. Just don’t see where the goals come from otherwise, maybe this is the season where Redmond has to and needs to step up and deliver but I’ve been thinking that the last two or three seasons. We’re relying on Stuart Armstrong to have another good season with a few more goals too but still think we'll still concede a lot of goals. We definitely need luck with the first eleven staying fit too this season.

I also think Watford will go down along with Norwich. Have backed Bournemouth to win the Championship, Charlton to get promoted from league 1 and Bradford to win League 2.

Finally, If Kane ends up at Man City, how many penalties are they going to get with him, Sterling and Grealish diving everywhere despite VAR.