Alien Lucy

CAH61

Can anybody tell me what Ralph sees in him?,  as one of the supposed "creative" players in the team you would expect a few goals and assists from him every now and again and I only recall the one rather fortunate goal at Newcastle in the PL. He's no more effective now than when we packed him off to Jockland a couple of years ago IMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I think that is a tiny bit unfair, in so much as he is better than prior to going on loan, but perhaps not adequate enough as a starter.

I imagine Stuart A would start in his place, with the other 10 either Moussa or Nathan. Not so bad as a sub, i.e. better than Theo to bring on, but I’d imagine next summer we must be looking to address this.

Our general play needs to start yielding more goals though, and even when we went on our winning run recently, I’m pretty sure we still struggled 2nd half in all the games. It makes me Q how good Ralph is tactically, in so much as when opposing managers change their tactics, I’m not sure he is quite earning his corn. I thought 2nd half v Watford and Villa, we could easily have conceded, and the 2nd Hal’s of games is still a major concern.

Last season we thought it was injuries/fatigue, this season it isn’t quite so bad, but not far enough of an improvement for me.

I think that the SPL/Championship is probably his level but he appears to never have enough time and rushes everything in the PL. He had a couple of really good opportunities to shoot yesterday and failed to make a decent contact on either. I don't recall him taking players on or crossing much either.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CAH61 said:

I think that the SPL/Championship is probably his level but he appears to never have enough time and rushes everything in the PL. He had a couple of really good opportunities to shoot yesterday and failed to make a decent contact on either. I don't recall him taking players on or crossing much either.

That's usually a tell-tale sign of a player not quite good enough for the level he's in. In the SPL he looked better as he had more time, his lack of pace wasn't exposed. At this level he won't get the time he needs and his lack of pace is exposed by even a slightly quick opposing player. Exactly the same could be said for Redmond as well (in respect of needing more time on the ball), I'm sure if he was thrown into the SPL he'd absolutely rip it up

I'm not denying he's improved, he has a tiny bit, but fundamentally he will never cut it at this level as his game is not suited. Another Wilson fail.

We need a flush of all our 'number 10's' and to start again.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

He sees injuries to Armstrong and Djenepo, Redmond having a baby and an overall dearth of talent in creative positions.

He's been picked above those players when they have been available too.

• Haha 1

I had no idea what the thread title was about until I scanned down and started reading. Is it supposed to be funny? Is it really not worth 10 seconds of your time to look up his name and spell it? 

Anyway, he has all the ability but his brain can't transmit what he wants to do to his feet in time. Look at yesterday for an example when the ball was played into him on the edge of the box in a bit of space. He took a touch, steadied himself, pulled the trigger and bang, the defender flew across and got a block in. 

Just a slightly quicker piece of thinking and he would have got the shot away.

He also suffers from just being slightly too slow to out run players when in space. Does a lot of things well but never anything great. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Cat said:

I had no idea what the thread title was about until I scanned down and started reading. Is it supposed to be funny? Is it really not worth 10 seconds of your time to look up his name and spell it? 

Anyway, he has all the ability but his brain can't transmit what he wants to do to his feet in time. Look at yesterday for an example when the ball was played into him on the edge of the box in a bit of space. He took a touch, steadied himself, pulled the trigger and bang, the defender flew across and got a block in. 

Just a slightly quicker piece of thinking and he would have got the shot away.

He also suffers from just being slightly too slow to out run players when in space. Does a lot of things well but never anything great. 

Me too. Had no idea who was being talked about until someone mentioned the difference between the SPL and PL, then i got the “joke” anyway yes just not good enough, anyway Ralph seems to like him and weren’t we told he gets picked a lot because he’s brilliant without the ball? I always thought it was kind of important to be good on the ball to be considered a good football player  but there we go. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Me too. Had no idea who was being talked about until someone mentioned the difference between the SPL and PL, then i got the “joke” anyway yes just not good enough, anyway Ralph seems to like him and weren’t we told he gets picked a lot because he’s brilliant without the ball? I always thought it was kind of important to be good on the ball to be considered a good football player  but there we go. 

That's fine at certain levels but unless you are insanely talented there's no place for people relying on just ability these days. Look what happend to Ozil. One of the purest footballers around but Arsenal ditched him because he stood around doing nothing without the ball.

I guess he gets picked because he follows instructions better than someone like Tella. Could be wrong but that's my theory anyway.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Cat said:

That's fine at certain levels but unless you are insanely talented there's no place for people relying on just ability these days. Look what happend to Ozil. One of the purest footballers around but Arsenal ditched him because he stood around doing nothing without the ball.

I guess he gets picked because he follows instructions better than someone like Tella. Could be wrong but that's my theory anyway.

Yes but not really much point being good without the ball if you’re pretty shit with it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Revisionism in full swing already, he's been pretty good for us so far this season. 

No, he's been largely ineffective.

We lined up at the weekend with no creative players in our team, apart from maybe the full backs. He is no use at PL level. I'd sooner have Lee Holmes or Guly. No joke.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Revisionism in full swing already, he's been pretty good for us so far this season. 

He hasn't really, and the Norwich game was just about it for me - but will it be enough for Ralph?   Could easily have been replaced at half-time.

• Like 1

I too thought he has been quite good this season, but when you stop and think about the end product players in his position are supposed to offer, it’s hard to back that up. He definitely gets involved more, his passing is quite good, but in that position he should be assisting far more often. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TWar said:

JWP is still our main chance creator, which is pretty poor given he plays so deep. We really need more from our attacking mids who barely created anything.

You're right about our no.10s but this stat didn't look right to me having watched the game so I've just briefly looked at the 5 passes to check. For them to qualify as "chances created" is absurd. 3 of them are simple 5/10 yard passes for players to shoot from distance and another is a weak corner that bednarek barely can make contact with. The last one was a great cross in for Walcott's header at the end.

This is a great example of how misleading stats can be, as only 1 of them can actually be described as creating a chance

• Like 2

This thread is one of the worst ever to appear on the forum. Some loon invents a nickname for one of our reasonably decent players as a put down and then encourages others to jump on a band wagon and trash him. Shame on those who fell into his trap.

This childish idiocy makes me sick, why don't you sod off CAH61 and find another club to support as clearly Saints are nor for you.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

This thread is one of the worst ever to appear on the forum. Some loon invents a nickname for one of our reasonably decent players as a put down and then encourages others to jump on a band wagon and trash him. Shame on those who fell into his trap.

This childish idiocy makes me sick, why don't you sod off CAH61 and find another club to support as clearly Saints are nor for you.

Woah!, steady on there Grandad..😄..haven't you ever heard of the right of free speech?

It's my opinion as a longstanding Saints supporter since the age of 9 that Mr Elyounoussi hasn't shown the required standard to represent my club in the PL and the official stats suggest that my opinion is not entirely baseless.986565226_Screenshot(40).thumb.png.c7c6d1e5deb86ecf345b26cdd528c886.png1321837239_Screenshot(41).thumb.png.c834740a7f4e447c34840fc02e64e3d3.png

Now, remember his role in the team is chiefly as a creator and occasionally scorer of goals and the facts that stand out to me are ZERO assists (in the whole time he has been at the club) shooting accuracy of 27% (6 shots on target), ZERO cross accuracy (from 12 crosses), ZERO big chances created, 2 big chances missed and just the one lucky finish at Newcastle.

Oh and I never "invented" the nickname, it is a lighthearted one used by a lot of Saints fans I know because of the difficulty of spelling his name correctly and i'm not going to "sod off" anytime soon just because you don't agree with my opinion.

Edited by CAH61
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

😂 reasonably decent players. Jeez what a line.

Charlie, bit out of order, and no real need. 

Moi Ely, Alien Lucy, whatever your preference hasnt really pulled up trees, and really should only be an impact sub.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I don't think he's been pretty good whatsoever. He looks better than he did when we first signed him when he was laughably shite, but he's still not pretty good and I highly doubt he ever will be.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Definitely not pretty good. He's been between a non-event and a partial-event. 

He doesn't really exist in any game, although he's not as disastrous as he was. But as has been mentioned he needs to go to a league that suits him, this league is too quick/too high quality.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Definitely not pretty good. He's been between a non-event and a partial-event. 

He doesn't really exist in any game, although he's not as disastrous as he was. But as has been mentioned he needs to go to a league that suits him, this league is too quick/too high quality.

This is the crux of the matter for me, he is not spontaneous and certainly not brave enough on the ball and i'm still waiting to see what the scouts saw in him to make the club splash out £16m on him. He has now played 26 PL games for the club and barely created anything of note in all those matches.

Edited by CAH61
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

Any more than about £15m and I'd sell. He has been OK this season but has hit his ceiling imo and still is probably our third choice AM at best behind Redmond and Tella (Stu too if he can get fit).

Sell high, buy low, that's how we grow with no funds. Moi stocks I suspect are at their peak. Feels like Vest to me, crap for ages, good for a few months, we sold high, and now crap again.

10 hours ago, TWar said:

Any more than about £15m and I'd sell. He has been OK this season but has hit his ceiling imo and still is probably our third choice AM at best behind Redmond and Tella (Stu too if he can get fit).

Sell high, buy low, that's how we grow with no funds. Moi stocks I suspect are at their peak. Feels like Vest to me, crap for ages, good for a few months, we sold high, and now crap again.

Yeah, and I suppose if we could put the funds towards buying Broja (I know it’s unlikely Chelsea will sell) it will be money well reinvested.