Pick Four Strikers

Lighthouse

Just for giggles, supposing you're going into next season and you can choose any of the strikers we've had in our ten years since promotion, in the condition/ability they were in while they were playing for us. For the purposes of this thread, we will say Sadio Mane was an attacking midfielder and therefore isn't included. Likewise Redmond.

It's not necessarily the best four, you may want more by way of variety so you can mix it up tactically.

In case your memories need jogging it's four from: Rickie Lambert, Jay Rodriguez, Billy Sharp, Tadanari Lee, Dani Osvaldo, Sam Gallagher, Graziano Pelle, Shane Long, Charlie Austin, Manolo Gabbiadini, Guido Carrillo, Danny Ings, Che Adams, Armando Broja, Adam Armstrong

I'm going with:
Pelle - A key fixture in our most successful period in the modern era.

Broja - I think the lad has got everything. If we can get him permanently or even on loan for another year I'll be delighted

Ings - Just about edges Jay Rod in my book. Both had one excellent season and a couple of so-so seasons.

Gabbiadini - A hat trick in a Wembley cup final against Man United. I wish his career here hadn't coincided with us being at our worst.

Lambert - He was awesome for us in the first couple of PL seasons, he went up another level under Poch

Jay - Started slow, but under Poch him and Lambo were unplayable at times. They worked really well together alongside Lallana in the hole. That was a great team.

Ings - Kept us up for a couple of years with his goals, he was a pleasure to watch during 2020 under Ralph.

Pelle - He got some pelters for his debut, but he gave us such a preseance up top and it allowed the likes of Mane and Tadic to flourish in and around him. 12 goals in his first season isn't to be sniffed at.

Can't quite go with Broja yet, give him a full season and see how it ends. Attribute wise he's certainly got it all though. Gabbianni had the 'Saganoswki' effect for me, good for 6 months and then non-existent there after. Good player in there for sure, not sure if our shitty managers at the time played him wrong or not, but he struggled in the grand scheme.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Just for giggles, supposing you're going into next season and you can choose any of the strikers we've had in our ten years since promotion, in the condition/ability they were in while they were playing for us. For the purposes of this thread, we will say Sadio Mane was an attacking midfielder and therefore isn't included. Likewise Redmond.

It's not necessarily the best four, you may want more by way of variety so you can mix it up tactically.

In case your memories need jogging it's four from: Rickie Lambert, Jay Rodriguez, Billy Sharp, Tadanari Lee, Dani Osvaldo, Sam Gallagher, Graziano Pelle, Shane Long, Charlie Austin, Manolo Gabbiadini, Guido Carrillo, Danny Ings, Che Adams, Armando Broja, Adam Armstrong

I'm going with:

Broja - I think the lad has got everything. If we can get him permanently or even on loan for another year I'll be delighted

Ings - Just about edges Jay Rod in my book. Both had one excellent season and a couple of so-so seasons.

Gabbiadini - A hat trick in a Wembley cup final against Man United. I wish his career here hadn't coincided with us being at our worst.

That list highlights the lack of diversity in our striker signings. Such a lack of BAME players, so depressing 

2 hours ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Twar would go for Armstrong, Carrillo., Adam’s 

I'd go for Ings, Pelle, Lambert, and JRod. 

When have I ever rated Carrillo? Adams is probably 5th and Broja 6th, but neither have had a double digit season yet so holding off on a spot in the top 4 till then.

Edited by TWar

Ings - has to be in everyones team it is a no brainer with that 20+ season

Lambert - a legend and guaranteed to score pens... I'd take him to be our Plan B/target man option over Pelle I think

Jay Rod - I think he got 15 goals in that 13/14 season, was looking really good and he can also play LW in a 4231 - offers a good option

Broja - This one might be the controversial one because there is an element of recency bias, but I've included him purely for the "potential" factor, but as said above I've been so impressed by what I've seen. 

• Like 1

Lambert because a true legend.

Ings probably the most naturally gifted  finisher of the lot. 

Gabbiadini. So talented but came to us under an ultra defensive manager and was criminally underused, I thought.

I suppose it has to be Pelle, but I hated the fact he was such a drama queen.

• Like 1

Lambert, Ings, JayRod - for certain. 4th a bit of a choice - Pelle if you are looking at just how they were at that time, but he doesn't really offer anything than central striker; Gabby is a different type of striker, good finisher but maybe not as many goals in him as Pelle; Broja for his all round game, pace and potential. Looking at that - Broja gets my pick.

Lambert - one of the few who can sit at the top table from my years of watching along with Paine, Davies, Channon, MLT

Ings - for his performances in 2019/20

Pelle - wasn't always fully utilised by us, but his QPR goal deserves selection alone

Fourth choice is more difficult:

Gabbiadini - we rally looked to have unearthed a gem in his early stages, shame it didn't last longer or that he couldn't be better used.

Of the current squad Broja has the potential to compete with any of them, although will have to hang around a few years to compare with RL in supporter's eyes. Hoping AA realises his potential with us.

Lambert: was such an amazing player for us.

Ings: as much as I dislike his choice to go to villa he was quality while here.

pelle: great piece of business by koeman.

4th is tough. I can’t give it to Jrod as his best spell came out wide. Gabbi had such a short productive window. Probably have to give it to Shane for his longevity for now but Broja or even Adams could well overhaul that spot by season’s end.

Lambert - I started supporting in 2004, so missed the Le Tissier days, making Lambert my favourite Saints player of all time. He could strike a ball, pass a ball, head a ball, score penalties, score free kicks, even had some moments of beating players with skill. Only thing he missed really was pace, but he was such a good player. 

Ings - 2019-20 made him the best striker I’ve seen in a Saints shirt. He was pulling goals from nothing, pulling off top class goals. Shame it was quite short lived and ended the way it did. 

Rodriguez - Was going to join the others at one of the top four, but that injury truly done him. I know he’s forged a Premier League career still, but he was so pacey, direct and unpredictable, causing him to bring nightmares to defences. Wasn’t the same player when he returned, grew his hair out, bulked up big time and became a target man forward, which he wasn’t quite as good at. Like I say though, got a Premier League career at his home club, but could have been so much more.

Pelle - The best looking Saints player. Hated the winter, but was part of our most successful team of recent years. Again, it’s a shame he chased the money in China, surrendering both his club and international careers, as I feel he still had more to offer. Was the type of player we were missing for years also, hopefully Broja can become that.

For the rest, they have all had good moments, barring Carrillo whose highlight was a contract termination after becoming our record signing (I know the same can be said of Osvaldo, but he actually had talent at least!) Sharp got us over the finish line in the Championship and the 2-2 vs Portsmouth. Lee scored the good goal against Derby and got the assist in the Kelvin Davis vs Leeds match. Osvaldo tore up Kompany, hit Fonte and a Newcastle coach. Gallagher looked a prospect at one time and was an okay squad option for a time. Long had the Koeman years, his performance against Villa was overshadowed by Mane’s fastest hat trick, the Liverpool goal and now the Swansea comeback. I also thought he was a massive part of the Ings 2019-20 partnership. And of course the fastest Premier League goal. Austin was a good scorer, bagging the winner on his debut against United. Shame his ego and weight got a bit too big. Gabbiadini was fantastic when he first joined, the United cup final and our most important goal of recent years against Swansea. Then Adams, Broja and Armstrong are all pulling individual moments now. I think Broja has a higher ceiling than Lukaku and unfortunately Chelsea would be stupid to let Broja leave.

Edited by HarvSFC
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I'm going with:

And where is Mayuka. Tut tut

I'm putting a shout out for Shane Long - a brilliant supporting role in the 15/16 season when we came 6th, 1 goal behind Pelle and Mane. If football is about moments, then that Liverpool goal was an amazing moment, watching the game in the front room with my kids, celebrating getting to Wembley is up there. He's been a solid servant and when asked to do a job of chasing down long balls, he comes on and does it. Proof of the value he still gives, is turning around the the recent Swansea tie. And he comes from a village down the road from my beautiful mums birth place, Up the Tip.

Followed by;

Lambert - the figurehead of our journey back to the prem and a starring role in re-cementing our place back at the top.

Pelle - We lost our legend and could have been sunk without the gorgeous Pelle, his 1 in 3 was instrumental in us pushing on and finishing 6th.

Ings - Best feet and 25 goals in a season, enough said.

• Like 1

Lambert 2012 > 2014 — 25 goals, 22 Assists. 2 great seasons and seemed everything he touched turned gold during that period. Goal on his England debut too. Was already a club favourite by the time we got to the prem, secured legendary status with these two seasons. Like every striker on this list, we saw the best of him. Couldn’t begrudge him his move to his boyhood club in what fast became the twilight of his career 

JROD 2013 > 2014 - 15 goals in 30 games his best and worst season in the professional game wrapped up in 1, frightening pace and was unplayable at times, could have gone on to be Harry Kanes level, then that injury. Never the same player after even though he’s still had a decent career. The move to Burnley suited both parties at that time.

Pelle 2014 > 2016 - 23 goals in what was probably my favourite team as a saints supporter. Important goals, great goals, great understanding with Tadic in a team that was so entertaining to watch. Robbed a hatrick in our 8-0 win over Sunderland. Can’t fault his move away to become one of the best paid players in football history at the time of his move.

Ings 2019 - 2020 - 22 goals in a season. Will we ever have a 20+ goal scorer again? Slightly soured by the way he left compared to the others on this list.

Edited by Dan Johnson
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

I'm putting a shout out for Shane Long - a brilliant supporting role in the 15/16 season when we came 6th, 1 goal behind Pelle and Mane. If football is about moments, then that Liverpool goal was an amazing moment, watching the game in the front room with my kids, celebrating getting to Wembley is up there. He's been a solid servant and when asked to do a job of chasing down long balls, he comes on and does it. Proof of the value he still gives, is turning around the the recent Swansea tie. And he comes from a village down the road from my beautiful mums birth place, Up the Tip.

Followed by;

Lambert - the figurehead of our journey back to the prem and a starring role in re-cementing our place back at the top.

Pelle - We lost our legend and could have been sunk without the gorgeous Pelle, his 1 in 3 was instrumental in us pushing on and finishing 6th.

Ings - Best feet and 25 goals in a season, enough said.

I agree, he really doesn't deserve the crap he gets, heart of a lion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Lambert, Mane, Pelle, Ings

1 too slow, lazy won’t cut it in the premier league 

2. Worst player since Ali Dia, fuck off back to where he came from 

3 not mobile enough doesn’t turn up between October and March, waves his arms around a lot

4 injury prone crock, no way should we make his deal permanent 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

1 too slow, lazy won’t cut it in the premier league 

2. Worst player since Ali Dia, fuck off back to where he came from 

3 not mobile enough doesn’t turn up between October and March, waves his arms around a lot

4 injury prone crock, no way should we make his deal permanent 

Scarily spot on ffs 😳

On 13/01/2022 at 11:53, Dan Johnson said:

Ings 2019 - 2020 - 22 goals in a season. Will we ever have a 20+ goal scorer again? Slightly soured by the way he left compared to the others on this list.

Disappointing that he left and that it was clearly a slightly bitter departure. However, I get the feeling this was just the nature of the football business. Given that without him, we probably would have gone down, and weren't exactly showing progress off the field, you can't blame Ings for wanting a shot at a club in the CL, or even with a big club on the outskirts of the CL. His best (only?) shot of getting that was if one of the big clubs could get him for a reduced fee. Ergo, don't sign a new contract. From the club's point of view, why would we let him go to anyone offering less than Villa? You certainly can't blame the club for that decision. It's not the move Ings wanted though, and he probably felt a bit pissed off about it and that the club weren't doing him any favours. Villa probably looked to have more potential than us, and would no doubt offer him a lot more money. So probably thought he might as well go.

In an ideal world it would have played out differently - either one of the top clubs gave us the money for him or there was no interest and he wanted to stay. But given the circumstances, I don't feel a great deal of ill towards him. Certainly don't want him to succeed at Villa, but still grateful for his goals here, both to keep us in the PL and at Fratton Park :)

Sorry, went on a bit there and off topic...!