Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

5 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Such a desperate championship promoted side  signing ! 
dippers rubbing their hands over this one ! 

Where as paying over £10m for players who have never played a second of premier league football, or barely any first team football , is different?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Such a desperate championship promoted side  signing ! 
dippers rubbing their hands over this one ! 

59 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Where as paying over £10m for players who have never played a second of premier league football, or barely any first team football , is different?

Hard to disagree with that. £17m* for a proven international player doesn't feel like bad value compared to £14m* for an unproven youth team player. *max price

8 hours ago, le_tiss said:

Bored Christopher Walken GIF

so no then? to my questions?

so just another opinion, every thought of running for government dude - you would do well

and you know what they say - opinions - everyone has one just like ........

P.s - if you shout really loudly and more often than most (38k posts), everyone will think assume you are right 😉

to coin a forum phrase = PONY

James Franco Flirt GIF

#iamstillboredasismyfriend

what is boring is yet another poster who has been registered for years with hardly any posts now suddenly starts posting loads attacking individual posters, so obvious, what's up hun? missing me on TUI?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Our season depends on a decent striker or two.

Delap is a great option like Broja but getting a top striker alongside Adams is important.

Its pretty clear A.Armstrong will be on his way.

Wouldnt be so sure. Even if we bring two strikers in we'll still have the same number as we did last season. Theres also conflicting stories that Armstrong is in Ralphs plans but that hes also out of favour. Will just have to wait and see

15 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Wouldnt be so sure. Even if we bring two strikers in we'll still have the same number as we did last season. Theres also conflicting stories that Armstrong is in Ralphs plans but that hes also out of favour. Will just have to wait and see

If we don't get another striker or two then A Armstrong will have to be in the managers mind. 

Just now, egg said:

If we don't get another striker or two then A Armstrong will have to be in the managers mind. 

We need 2 ideally. Still think it'll be one perm and one youngster on loan from somewhere like City or Chelsea.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, egg said:

Hard to disagree with that. £17m* for a proven international player doesn't feel like bad value compared to £14m* for an unproven youth team player. *max price

The difference being is that Williams has proven he isn’t a £17m player, especially in a weaker team as Wales are, where he is the weak defensively. It does feel like bad value when you consider we signed both KWP and Livramento for the cost of Williams.

However, looking at our transfers, I do wonder if we would have been in for both Brewster and Solanke if we had this model at the time of them both becoming available. Both were highly rated youngsters, as ours are this summer. Brewster came off a good Championship season and Solanke was scoring for fun in the England youth setup. Both cost £20m and both were shockingly bad and out of depth in their first seasons. Brewster still is, while Solanke has only done it at Championship level. So, there isn’t an exact science and that’s the gamble. It’s possible ours could turn out the same way, but it is also high risk, and hopefully high reward.

19 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

The difference being is that Williams has proven he isn’t a £17m player, especially in a weaker team as Wales are, where he is the weak defensively. It does feel like bad value when you consider we signed both KWP and Livramento for the cost of Williams.

Bazunu is not much less, played League 1 and for a weaker international side....but he is a great signing, right?

Time will tell if our new signings are more Tino/Broja than Brewster/Solanke/Ibe.

Transfer fees have increased since then though, we are paying £10-12m initial fees for these new youngsters and I’d expect any add ons would kick in if they are doing the business for us.

Neco at Liverpool does seem overpriced and with the FBs we have, like other posters, I’m glad we haven’t signed him.

You’d also hope Joe Shields inside track on these City youngsters mitigates the risk somewhat. I’d assume he’s had a big say, despite not yet being announced.

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Bazunu is not much less, played League 1 and for a weaker international side....but he is a great signing, right?

But he still has to play against the best international sides while playing for a weaker international side... He has impressed on every outing he's had for Ireland including against Portugal. 

I've not seen it mentioned on here, but he's also not afraid to use his voice and shout at his defenders to organise them. I remember him doing in on his first and second caps for Ireland, shouting at defenders who have been in the squad for years. It's something we've been sorely missing from the back, especially if Stephens isn't playing

• Like 1

Just now, Psycrow said:

But he still has to play against the best international sides while playing for a weaker international side... He has impressed on every outing he's had for Ireland including against Portugal. 

I've not seen it mentioned on here, but he's also not afraid to use his voice and shout at his defenders to organise them. I remember him doing in on his first and second caps for Ireland, shouting at defenders who have been in the squad for years. It's something we've been sorely missing from the back, especially if Stephens isn't playing

Isn't that the same for Neco Williams?

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Isn't that the same for Neco Williams?

Absolutely. I don't know much about him. I'm just making the point about Bazunu as an Irish fan who's watched all his international games. And as a league of Ireland fan where Bazunu's name was known since he was 16. I'm not claiming he's already the greatest goalkeeper in the world or he won't make mistakes. But he's been picked out for his potential for years and now and I think he can be great for Saints

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

what is boring is yet another poster who has been registered for years with hardly any posts now suddenly starts posting loads attacking individual posters, so obvious, what's up hun? missing me on TUI?

Morning T - have no idea what TUI is? 

Steve knows who i am, and I am certainty not a full on everyday poster as I like to dip in and out (and have work to do / family etc.) - think i have always only really posted in a few threads (transfers mainly), but if you want to feel important and there is a conspiracy against you - not a lot I can do to dissuade you

Sorry you have taken it personally - I have liked or laughed at a number of your posts recently 🤷‍♂️ so I don't really feel like its an attack tbh and i don't think i have attacked anyone else?

but, as i said if you spout a lot of nonsense / opinion dressed up as fact = expect to be pulled up on it 

anyway no harm no foul my end, so have a great day

:toppa:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, saint lard said:

🤝 Transfer Talk

Southampton are keen to bring the Braga striker, Vitinha to the Premier League.

The 22-year-old hit a hat-trick on his first pre-season outing - alongside his 13 goals during his breakthrough campaign in 2021/22

#saintsfc
[O Minho]

13 goals, 7 of which were in the Portuguese cup in just two games. 

He managed 6 in 20 in the league and 1 in 9 in the Europa league for Braga, not sure how many are sub appearances but the Portuguese league is not that strong beyond the big 3. 

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Hasn't it been suggested by various posters that although he enjoyed his time here, he wasn't totally impressed by Ralph?

Just because he didn't mention Ralph in his goodbye post. That's all it is.

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Time will tell if our new signings are more Tino/Broja than Brewster/Solanke/Ibe.

Transfer fees have increased since then though, we are paying £10-12m initial fees for these new youngsters and I’d expect any add ons would kick in if they are doing the business for us.

Neco at Liverpool does seem overpriced and with the FBs we have, like other posters, I’m glad we haven’t signed him.

You’d also hope Joe Shields inside track on these City youngsters mitigates the risk somewhat. I’d assume he’s had a big say, despite not yet being announced.

Joe Shields has been announced now as new Head of Recruitment.

Opps…just seen a thread on his appointment elsewhere 😵💫

Edited by sadoldgit
  • Like 1

KWP: Versatile. on the fringes of England. Experienced in the league. 3 years left on his contact.

Can see his value being worth around £30mil to us.

With Everton's reported financial 'issues' cant see it being any more than an enquiry.

31 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I think Everton made a move to sign him at the end of the window last summer too? With Tino’s serious injury, 3 years left on his deal. Surely there’s no chance we would entertain selling him? Along with Prowsey he’s our best player for me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I’ve never labelled Bazunu as a great signing, because he isn’t. Great signings are established internationals at the peak of their career. Players we don’t sign. Bazunu is an exciting signing because he’s relatively unknown, rated by Ireland, Man City and Portsmouth fans (and staff). 

Williams would be an underwhelming signing at £17m, because he’s already answered all the questions Bazunu’s going to face next season. If we could pick up Williams in the same way we did Bertrand, that would be good, but at £17m, that’s too big an outlay for what you’re getting. 

Man City offered Bazunu a new contract and wanted to keep him, put a buyback clause on him. Whereas Liverpool wanted Williams to leave, as they had already replaced him with the Scottish full-back. 

44 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Ha ha do one!

This. KWP isn't going anywhere while Tino is out unless it's for big money. Vastly improved (despite what Spurs fans say), versatile, young, made the England squad. Our second best player last season. £40 million+ if we are looking to sell but I can't see him leaving... yet.

• Like 1

Well... we all knew there was going to be sales to pay for the spend. And we're still nowhere near the rumoured double figures in and out....

Still, you've got to think that we won't sell easily our second best player given Tino's injury and his remaining contract length?

Also, its seems somewhat against our revised transfer strategy to sell a player for big bucks and then get held to ransom for a replacemnet.

58 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Edited by Saint86

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

Well... we all knew there was going to be sales to pay for the spend. And we're still nowhere near the rumoured double figures in and out....

Still, you've got to think that we won't sell easily our second best player given Tino's injury and his remaining contract length?

We will sell if the price is right, that's the model we have now. It did seem odd that we were linked with so many right backs when we have two very good ones already.

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Also, its seems somewhat against our revised transfer strategy to sell a player for big bucks and then get held to ransom for a replacemnet.

Would be terrible to lose one of our best players to Everton, but got to pay for the new signings somehow 

Selling KWP would in my mind put a big dampener on the summer signings we've made so far - a weakening of the 1st team and importantly a defence that needed urgent surgery given 2nd half of last seasons performances.  There are few players in the 1st team that I would protect at all costs this season and KWP is one of them - he makes such a difference to the success or otherwise of the team.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, le_tiss said:

Morning T - have no idea what TUI is? 

Steve knows who i am, and I am certainty not a full on everyday poster as I like to dip in and out (and have work to do / family etc.) - think i have always only really posted in a few threads (transfers mainly), but if you want to feel important and there is a conspiracy against you - not a lot I can do to dissuade you

Sorry you have taken it personally - I have liked or laughed at a number of your posts recently 🤷‍♂️ so I don't really feel like its an attack tbh and i don't think i have attacked anyone else?

but, as i said if you spout a lot of nonsense / opinion dressed up as fact = expect to be pulled up on it 

anyway no harm no foul my end, so have a great day

:toppa:

Of all the accusations you could chuck at Turkish, I'm not sure masquerading opinion as fact is one of them - virtually every post on here is an opinion, no? Are we all not here to exchange opinion?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Hasn't it been suggested by various posters that although he enjoyed his time here, he wasn't totally impressed by Ralph?

It's been suggested - whether its true or not I dont know.

he certainly didn't look happy when subbed in the Norwich game, a game in which he struggled to make an impact (our build up play was garbage and he seemed to keep running into/getting in the way of Moi). He was dropped after the Newcastle game, and that was after two pretty average performances against Villa and Newcastle. I doubt he was impressed by that, as plenty of other players underperformed yet he was the one dropped....but that's top flight football. You can't expect to play all the time, especially if the side is not doing well. 

In general, I think Ralph treated him pretty well. He saw he was the best option and he played him. Personally, I think Broja feels like he has served his time at SFC is set for big things and the next step is a bigger club, be that Everton, Newcastle or whoever. I am not sure we are attractive enough. I doubt he will sign for us. I hope I am wrong, but thats the vibe I get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I'm amazed its taken this long for him to be linked with another club. If you have watched SFC over the last two years you can't fail to have been impressed by him. Hope we can hold onto him, but buying anther fullback this summer could well be essential.

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

It's been suggested - whether its true or not I dont know.

he certainly didn't look happy when subbed in the Norwich game, a game in which he struggled to make an impact (our build up play was garbage and he seemed to keep running into/getting in the way of Moi). He was dropped after the Newcastle game, and that was after two pretty average performances against Villa and Newcastle. I doubt he was impressed by that, as plenty of other players underperformed yet he was the one dropped....but that's top flight football. You can't expect to play all the time, especially if the side is not doing well. 

In general, I think Ralph treated him pretty well. He saw he was the best option and he played him. Personally, I think Broja feels like he has served his time at SFC is set for big things and the next step is a bigger club, be that Everton, Newcastle or whoever. I am not sure we are attractive enough. I doubt he will sign for us. I hope I am wrong, but thats the vibe I get.

Well he signed for Ralph after being loaned here for a year... so its unlikely he doesn't like him or rates him badly.