Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

10 hours ago, Mowgli said:

You obviously weren’t at the game last night.  Three of our back up CBs (Valery, Lyanco and Stephens) all put in decent performances 

But they are still bang average imo, how many of our back 3 would grace other teams starting eleven?

38 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62328723

Kounde to Barcelona. Chelsea miss out on a CB they wanted. #colwillwatch

Chelsea are like a chick that has been buying some boy chocolates all year, been super nice and telling him she'd take him on holiday with her family, she's about to seal the deal and then the female exchange student from Spain turns up and bangs him on the first night.

Edited by Convict Colony
Make it relevant
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

But they are still bang average imo, how many of our back 3 would grace other teams starting eleven?

Your missing the point, us having all cbs putting in a good performance is nearly as rare as the yeti turning up. Don't care about other teams but if our cbs are in form and playing well I will take that as a big improvement from last year.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Chelsea are like a chick that has been buying some boy chocolates all year, been super nice and telling him she'd take him on holiday with her family, she's about to seal the deal and then the exchange student from Italy turns up and bangs him on the first night.

Wait this metaphor is messed up I think, does the Italian exchange student bang him or her? Well actually I guess it works either way 'some boy' gets screwed over.

Edited by HnycS
Grammar
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HnycS said:

Wait this metaphor is messed up I think, does the Italian exchange student bang him or her? Well actually I guess it works either way 'some boy' gets screwed over.

Hahaha changed it to Spanish  and female to be clear now anyway to make it relevant  and this exchange student (girl) bangs him.

Edited by Convict Colony

30 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Chelsea are like a chick that has been buying some boy chocolates all year, been super nice and telling him she'd take him on holiday with her family, she's about to seal the deal and then the female exchange student from Spain turns up and bangs him on the first night.

LOL. Internet winner today. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Oddly specific.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Hahaha changed it to Spanish now anyway to make it relevant  and this exchange student (girl) bangs him.

No that wrecks it, if one of the protagonists gets a happy ending!

• Haha 1

Chelsea sell/lose their existing CB’s, spend the entire summer going for Koundé and lose him to Barcelona a week before the season kicks off.

Man Utd in desperate need of a rebuild. Focus on CM, piss around haggling over a few million with Barcelona all summer for Frankie De Jong, despite him apparently not wanting to join them at all, and are still no closer a week before the season starts to getting him.

🤣

8 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Chelsea sell/lose their existing CB’s, spend the entire summer going for Koundé and lose him to Barcelona a week before the season kicks off.

Man Utd in desperate need of a rebuild. Focus on CM, piss around haggling over a few million with Barcelona all summer for Frankie De Jong, despite him apparently not wanting to join them at all, and are still no closer a week before the season starts to getting him.

🤣

I know the season is starting earlier this year but it does seem like a few clubs have been dilly dallying in the transfer window and have been caught by surprise. Leicester especially, they can't rely on Vardy forever. For us, however our youngsters turn out, we really got our teeth stuck in to the window early this summer. Yes there's a month to go but that's a good few fixtures that new signings for clubs will miss as they get up to speed.

29 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I know the season is starting earlier this year but it does seem like a few clubs have been dilly dallying in the transfer window and have been caught by surprise. Leicester especially, they can't rely on Vardy forever. 

I suspect they are waiting for the Tielman bid from United or whoever to provide them with the funds. They already have a big debt, so perhaps need to sell before they can buy. They spent £20m on Patson Daka last summer to take over from Vardy...

5 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I'm sure they will cope with Silva & Koulibaly to start the season with decent backup.

I've been a Saints fan for 60+ years ....and counting, but am I the only person who misses having a tough s.o.b. of a CF

up front who can terrorise defences .... and actually SCORE GOALS ? ...then let's get someone PDQ. 

Names are still being bandied around and if there is any mileage in the rumours about Dembele (?)  then providing the man isn't 

some sort of criminal, or a bad role model for the younger players at the club - then let's get him (or someone similar).

The fee is irrelevant, (considering the money we've squandered over the last 6 years since the Koemans left) ...then surely

someone with a year left on their contract and his goal-scoring history won't cost a fortune and must be a positive addition to the squad.

Ugh !... rant over.

Keep seeing people bleating on about get someone experienced.  Experience doesn't equal good. Walcott is experienced, Redmond is experienced.Long was experienced I'd much rather have someone that's actually good. Experienced or not.

We do have plenty of experience in the side already.

If you want good and experienced that doesn't come cheap.

• Like 13

48 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

I've been a Saints fan for 60+ years ....and counting, but am I the only person who misses having a tough s.o.b. of a CF

up front who can terrorise defences .... and actually SCORE GOALS ? ...then let's get someone PDQ. 

Names are still being bandied around and if there is any mileage in the rumours about Dembele (?)  then providing the man isn't 

some sort of criminal, or a bad role model for the younger players at the club - then let's get him (or someone similar).

The fee is irrelevant, (considering the money we've squandered over the last 6 years since the Koemans left) ...then surely

someone with a year left on their contract and his goal-scoring history won't cost a fortune and must be a positive addition to the squad.

Ugh !... rant over.

Never mind a tough CF I miss a tough CB!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Was speaking to my friend who follows European football about this Joshua Zirkzee guy. He said; Very talented but massive attitude problem

From what i can gather it seems Ajax, Stuttgart, bolgna, Leeds,Newcastle, parma, bournemouth, fulham and us are all monitoring him.

Personally I wouldnt buy him

"He dealt with a lot of criticism during that period, mostly over his motivation and body language during practice sessions. “I am who I am. Either people accept it or they don’t. And if they don’t, I don’t care.”

Edited by Convict Colony

12 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

🤣

More than possible United get desperate and shove a wedge our way for JWP.

33 minutes ago, saintadjg said:

Keep seeing people bleating on about get someone experienced.  Experience doesn't equal good. Walcott is experienced, Redmond is experienced.Long was experienced I'd much rather have someone that's actually good. Experienced or not.

We do have plenty of experience in the side already.

If you want good and experienced that doesn't come cheap.

Pointed this out the other day, Vestergaard had nearly 200 Bundesliga games under his belt for a good side, he'd played champions league football and international football. 

But he turned out thoroughly average at best. 

'Experience' at our price bracket often means proven mediocrity, usually coupled with high wages that then become hard to get off the wage bill. 

Considering all transfers are a gamble anyway, I'd prefer young inexperienced players who might turn out to be way way better than their initial transfer fees (like Tino) rather than 'experienced' players that are likely to be average or no different from what we have.

The experienced players route IMO is just basically a slow walk to relegation. All those clubs like West Brom, Stoke, Burnley etc. did that route, and eventually all of them went down pretty much. 

The young players might lead to relegation too, but I think there is also a much better chance of us doing something unexpected and over performing. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

Pointed this out the other day, Vestergaard had nearly 200 Bundesliga games under his belt for a good side, he'd played champions league football and international football. 

'Experience' at our price bracket often means proven mediocrity, usually coupled with high wages that then become hard to get off the wage bill. 

Considering all transfers are a gamble anyway, I'd prefer young inexperienced players who might turn out to be way way better than their initial transfer fees (like Tino) rather than 'experienced' players that are likely to be average or no different from what we have.

The experienced players route IMO is just basically a slow walk to relegation. All those clubs like West Brom, Stoke, Burnley etc. did that route, and eventually all of them went down pretty much. 

The young players might lead to relegation too, but I think there is also a much better chance of us doing something unexpected and over performing. 

Back in the early 80s we used to bring in experienced old heads that still had lots to offer (jimmy case etc). I know times have changed but is the game to fast for these types of players. Although technically OR could be classed as an old experienced heads 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bakovnetski said:

Could be linked to Tyler Dibling?

I doubt it.

Dibling is a 16 year old 1st year scholar who'll probably be playing a mix of under 18s and under 21s football for the next two seasons and then go out in loan.

Hudson-Odoi is a fringe first team player.

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I doubt it.

Dibling is a 16 year old 1st year scholar who'll probably be playing a mix of under 18s and under 21s football for the next two seasons and then go out in loan.

Hudson-Odoi is a fringe first team player.

Why do you think that ? He made the first team squad with us , so I can’t see Chelsea waiting 3 years before integrating him into the first team squad.

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Why do you think that ? He made the first team squad with us , so I can’t see Chelsea waiting 3 years before integrating him into the first team squad.

How many 16 or 17 years olds have Chelsea used in the 1st team in recent years? There is a big difference from the level to be in our first team vs Chelsea's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

Goes without saying that most people agree on the repeated experience point. We want players that are good enough and that will work well in the system - We appear to have been doing that.

A large issue with players like Vestergard (as you mention), is that he was signed by a previous regime and is a slow and not particularly physical player. We then appointed ralph who wants a high line with pace, power, and fitness from the defenders. That was a club decision to change our style of play, but it meant that Vestergard (and others) were suddenly being asked to play a style of football that didn't suit their own attributes. And similarly with that, fans have grumbled (rightly or wrongly) that Ralph makes odd tactical decisions or plays players out of position etc. 

Stability in the manager has the primary benefit that they are allowed to build and shape a team over many seasons - and buy the players they want to implement their style of football. OFC, that relies on both good recruitment and a solid manager. But if you look at the best teams (say Jose's chelsea, or SAF's united, Pep's city - granted extreme examples) they've either maintained a style/manager, or allowed the new manager to build the squad he wants. Against that, clubs that totally change style of manager (and don't recruit well to support a new manager/style) tend to struggle - take Tottenham going from Poch to nuno to Jose... A better example maybe palace last season - changed manager to Viera and combined it with a significant squad overall to suit his style of player. Or maybe Everton - absolute car crash of managerial/style changes and scattergun recruitment - all with no plan.

For us in this window - i don't think anyone can really argue that we have finally revamped the squad with the means and intention to back the manager's style. We haven't made compromises so far in terms of players signed, and we've done our business early rather than picking up scraps. The fan's are excited generally? And i guess that means we broadly believe that the manager is capable and that the recruitment is good - and that therefore this strategy is going to pay off with improvements in our competitiveness? But the debate for the first few months is going to be - have we actually done good business, and/or is this backing of the manager justified (that debate is for another thread!!) 😆

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 9

16 hours ago, Ldnsaint said:

Dreadful source 

Wow, I can finally do a "I signed him on football manager" post! Good player on there but a terrible attitude-he decided he wanted to leave a few weeks after I signed him!! 

(Please note I know this is just a game and doesn't have any real bearing on the real world!)

• Haha 1

Just now, sibster said:

Wow, I can finally do a "I signed him on football manager" post! Good player on there but a terrible attitude-he decided he wanted to leave a few weeks after I signed him!! 

(Please note I know this is just a game and doesn't have any real bearing on the real world!)

Disagree GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

From what i can gather it seems Ajax, Stuttgart, bolgna, Leeds,Newcastle, parma, bournemouth, fulham and us are all monitoring him.

Personally I wouldnt buy him

"He dealt with a lot of criticism during that period, mostly over his motivation and body language during practice sessions. “I am who I am. Either people accept it or they don’t. And if they don’t, I don’t care.”

Fair enough. I respect that in a way but then I should hope he'd also respect our decision (or anyone's to not sign him based on this)

1 hour ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

There's a very big difference between training with the Saints first team for a couple of days and playing for Chelsea's first team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wild-saint said:

Back in the early 80s we used to bring in experienced old heads that still had lots to offer (jimmy case etc). I know times have changed but is the game to fast for these types of players. Although technically OR could be classed as an old experienced heads 

I think the game would be too fast for Jimmy Case. Good shout though.

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Goes without saying that most people agree on the repeated experience point. We want players that are good enough and that will work well in the system - We appear to have been doing that.

A large issue with players like Vestergard (as you mention), is that he was signed by a previous regime and is a slow and not particularly physical player. We then appointed ralph who wants a high line with pace, power, and fitness from the defenders. That was a club decision to change our style of play, but it meant that Vestergard (and others) were suddenly being asked to play a style of football that didn't suit their own attributes. And similarly with that, fans have grumbled (rightly or wrongly) that Ralph makes odd tactical decisions or plays players out of position etc. 

Stability in the manager has the primary benefit that they are allowed to build and shape a team over many seasons - and buy the players they want to implement their style of football. OFC, that relies on both good recruitment and a solid manager. But if you look at the best teams (say Jose's chelsea, or SAF's united, Pep's city - granted extreme examples) they've either maintained a style/manager, or allowed the new manager to build the squad he wants. Against that, clubs that totally change style of manager (and don't recruit well to support a new manager/style) tend to struggle - take Tottenham going from Poch to nuno to Jose... A better example maybe palace last season - changed manager to Viera and combined it with a significant squad overall to suit his style of player. Or maybe Everton - absolute car crash of managerial/style changes and scattergun recruitment - all with no plan.

For us in this window - i don't think anyone can really argue that we have finally revamped the squad with the means and intention to back the manager's style. We haven't made compromises so far in terms of players signed, and we've done our business early rather than picking up scraps. The fan's are excited generally? And i guess that means we broadly believe that the manager is capable and that the recruitment is good - and that therefore this strategy is going to pay off with improvements in our competitiveness? But the debate for the first few months is going to be - have we actually done good business, and/or is this backing of the manager justified (that debate is for another thread!!) 😆

Totally agree.  Personally, I’m looking forward to this season more than any one in recent memory , not because I believe we’ll finish particularly high but more to see how this team can evolve now that we’ve got owners who are backing the manager and his vision.

interesting times ahead.

• Like 6