Man Utd 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

5 minutes ago, Highfield Saint said:

Can anyone explain how XG is calculated? i see that we had an XG of 0.74 yesterday compared with >2.5 for them?

https://www.goal.com/en/news/what-is-xg-football-how-statistic-calculated/h42z0iiv8mdg1ub10iisg1dju

It's worth noting the weighting of each factor and interpretation is still subjective. As in, if two people work out xG there will be differences.

That being said. Man Utd had some excellent chances. 2.5 doesn't seem crazy. 0.75 on the other hand...

Edited by coalman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, coalman said:

https://www.goal.com/en/news/what-is-xg-football-how-statistic-calculated/h42z0iiv8mdg1ub10iisg1dju

It's worth noting the weighting of each factor and interpretation is still subjective. As in, if two people work out xG there will be differences.

That being said. Man Utd had some excellent chances. 2.5 doesn't seem crazy. 0.75 on the other hand...

Just goes to prove what a flawed system it is. 

• Like 2

Just now, Teddeer said:

Just goes to prove what a flawed system it is. 

No system which attempts to turn subjective metrics into an objective metric is perfect. However, I'd argue that a metric which attempts to quantify expected results is extremely useful in dealing with self serving bias.

28 minutes ago, Highfield Saint said:

Can anyone explain how XG is calculated? i see that we had an XG of 0.74 yesterday compared with >2.5 for them?

Don’t quite see how ours is so low. Aside from the goal we had a few gilt edge chances. Che Adams in the first half, if he doesn’t slip it’s a tap in.

Great game to watch. My thoughts team looks so much more balanced with a left footed fullback. Man U has good players but is a bad team, that is the difference between the two Manchester clubs. If the incident had happened at the other end that would have been a penalty, no doubt about it. Why on earth did it take so long for VAR to rule out a goal that was offside twice and really obviously, were they trying to find some thing to justify the goal? Because it is starting to look a little corrupt in the VAR room. Foster is a lot better than McCarthy right now.

We have seen that pressing teams have not been able to keep up that intense level of play all season. Teams have shown early results and been lauded, only for their form to fall away down the stretch. I am wondering if we were playing within ourselves early in the year to be able to play like this in the second half of season when tiring teams can be picked off, and that party explains our recent success.

PS my wife enjoyed the game too. She was cheering for Southampton now Chicharito no longer plays there.

Edited by Mystic Force
  • Like 1

United's goal wasn't Forster's fault BUT if McCarthy had conceded that, it would absolutely have been his fault. Forster had a decent game again but neither one of them fills me with confidence. It's just strange that when Forster has a good game, he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. When McCarthy has a good game, every effort is made to rob him of any praise. Imagine if McCarthy had conceded that goal against Wolves a few weeks ago or yesterday when Ronaldo took it round him and Forster basically said "Go on, help yourself" and just stood there.

He's making progress but he's got a long way to go before I'd consider offering him a new contract.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Instant Classic said:

United's goal wasn't Forster's fault BUT if McCarthy had conceded that, it would absolutely have been his fault. Forster had a decent game again but neither one of them fills me with confidence. It's just strange that when Forster has a good game, he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. When McCarthy has a good game, every effort is made to rob him of any praise. Imagine if McCarthy had conceded that goal against Wolves a few weeks ago or yesterday when Ronaldo took it round him and Forster basically said "Go on, help yourself" and just stood there.

He's making progress but he's got a long way to go before I'd consider offering him a new contract.

Agreed. One of the saves Forster made yesterday resulted in him pushing the ball straight back into the danger area. He got away with it but McCarthy would have been slated for not pushing it around the post. He also never seems particularly aware of what's going on around him. When Son scored for Spurs on Wednesday Forster was guilty of ball-watching and seemed oblivious to the fact that Son was arriving to knock it in.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, coalman said:

The difference between Armstrong shooting at range and Ronlado having to zimmer frame his way into the box for his efforts.  🙂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, northam soul said:

The difference yesterday was simple.

One club is a football team whilst the other club is a collection of individuals.

Amended it for my take. As Ralph stated afterwards and also Paul Scholes, United are a side that just have no team ethic at the moment. In possession they’ve got an abundance of talent and will always be a threat to score. They just don’t have th3 desire or responsibility to work as a team properly when they’re out of possession.

I remember when Nigel Adkins and in turn Pochettino and Koeman came in. Within a game or two it was obvious to see what the players were doing differently. How they set up out of possession. When and where they pressed. How to set up to move the ball out of defence. Sometimes the changes were only small but they were noticeable. There’s none of that with United, they’re still just relying on the sum of their parts.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, redder freak said:

The Maguire incident reminds me of the Walker foul on Armstrong against City. Quite perplexing and confusing to watch. And how Shaw was allowed to pull Broja’s shirt without getting a yellow card. What a weird and wonderful game it is.

Yet some people on here reckon the ref had a blinder.

15 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Amended it for my take. As Ralph stated afterwards and also Paul Scholes, United are a side that just have no team ethic at the moment. In possession they’ve got an abundance of talent and will always be a threat to score. They just don’t have th3 desire or responsibility to work as a team properly when they’re out of possession.

I remember when Nigel Adkins and in turn Pochettino and Koeman came in. Within a game or two it was obvious to see what the players were doing differently. How they set up out of possession. When and where they pressed. How to set up to move the ball out of defence. Sometimes the changes were only small but they were noticeable. There’s none of that with United, they’re still just relying on the sum of their parts.

I didn't hear all of Scholes witterings. But I really don't think the concept of a manager having to spend a couple of months getting a team to play to defined systems has really sunk in. In a club with giant egos on the pitch, and most likely behind the scenes, it may take even longer.

There should be changes apparent shorter term, but it will still look disjointed until more of it fits together. There's always the choice of not going down that path, or having a manager who implements layered solutions. Or a big shouty manager who gets short term gain through force of personality.

And there's always the chance that the new systems simply don't work or won't work with those egos, which may well be the case with United. As Kraken points out, there's not the signs of the changes yet, and they look quite disjointed.

He's been there a little while now too. But that may be signs of how much has to change all across the club. Or perhaps they picked the wrong Ralph* But they've shocen a longer term fix, and they have to see that through (appointing a permanent manager would be a good step). They also have to face up to the financial clout and progression Man CIty, Liverpool and Chelsea have already made, and keep a bit of persepctive. 

*The Wrong Ralph: Disney's madcap soccer caper coming to screens this summer.

2 hours ago, Instant Classic said:

United's goal wasn't Forster's fault BUT if McCarthy had conceded that, it would absolutely have been his fault. 

I actually think there's a decent shout for calling it an own goal. The shot from Sancho is going straight at Forster, it's the touch off KWP that takes it away from him and into the net.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Instant Classic said:

Is that you Mrs. McCarthy?

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Said it for a while. Rashford is massively overrated. 

Just quite decent, with little work rate. However, for too long he is hailed as some boy wonder.

Thankfully people are starting to see through it, more so Southgate 

Rashford OBE please, have some respect.

I'm not going to make a case out for him and agree he's been overhyped as are all their players when things are going well. But is it possible he and everyone else have been forced to adapt their games to allow Ronaldo and his ego centre stage at every opportunity ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Said it for a while. Rashford is massively overrated. 

Just quite decent, with little work rate. However, for too long he is hailed as some boy wonder.

Thankfully people are starting to see through it, more so Southgate 

He has a lot of ability but hasn't been playing well. That being said, his pass to Sancho was a beauty, inch perfect.

• Like 1

Just a few posts from the RedCafe forum, er, they're not a happy bunch...

"Southampton play like an absolute team. Plenty of hunger.
We have no leaders. Not one. Pathetic."

"Ronaldo is a horrible footballer. Playing with 10 men every game. Does feck all defensively. Does feck all in link up. Does feck all in hold up. Gives it away constantly. Can't even get shots off anymore. Just fecking bench him until he retires. He's done and he's useless on the pitch."

"feck off.
Unable to score more than once and can't defend.
Useless.
Gassed after 45 mins.
Top 4 most probably gone."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dark Munster said:

He has a lot of ability but hasn't been playing well. That being said, his pass to Sancho was a beauty, inch perfect.

I think he's been injured for about 2 years straight now and playing through it, he delayed surgery a few times because Ole refused to let him have time out the team.

• Like 1

Only just seen the highlights...not much more to say, being a Saints fan means accepting the lows and making the most of the highs. We're all of a sudden in an unexpected high (for the fans, we've had a few trailers over the last year's) so we need to make the most of this and drive this team on. That is the key, we're a real team. Really feel that we're now a full Saints package. FA cup win with Armstrong scoring a brace, that's my prediction.

15 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I don’t see the point of it. Once the game is over we know the final score. 

The idea is very Moneyball. I think it means you can compare the final score with the xG and work out whether you got lucky/unlucky.

I can see how it might affect firing a manager - six defeats in a row where xG says you should have won 3 or 4 of them might be “bad luck” rather than a sackable offence, I guess.

What I still can’t work out though is what is luck and what is skill. If your xG is, say, 1.2 per game but you are averaging 2.5 goals is this sheer luck or a reflection that your skilful strikers are bloody brilliant at converting chances?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Roo1976 said:

Overrated.

Yup - my usual mate who knows more about football than most and a Man U fan too has been saying that for a couple of years. “You’ve seen all he’s got - take him out of that team of an embarrassment of riches and he is just a run of the mill striker - he won’t roll his sleeves up and make something happen, because the way United normally play it’s laid on a plate for him”

1 minute ago, John Boy Saint said:

Yup - my usual mate who knows more about football than most and a Man U fan too has been saying that for a couple of years. “You’ve seen all he’s got - take him out of that team of an embarrassment of riches and he is just a run of the mill striker - he won’t roll his sleeves up and make something happen, because the way United normally play it’s laid on a plate for him”

Totally agree, put him somewhere other than his preferred  position which is wherever i dont know and he just blends in .