Coaching shake up - confirmed

EBS1980

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

The right thing to do. Good luck to them all especially Davis but had to be done 

Agree, but we will now have largely Ralph's squad, no doubt he'll also have a say as to who joins the coaching set up, so no excuses next season.  Get it right, or be gone. 

• Like 3

Good. The right thing to do.

Sad to see KD leave the club, given his loyalty and service in our rise back up the leagues.

He should never have been given a first team coaching role though: not as his first coaching gig. Crazy decision. All the best KD! And cheers.

• Like 11

It's a good start getting better coaches but you can't polish a turd, and there are a lot of players on our books that I very much doubt can be improved to an acceptable standard. Hopefully the improvement of the coaching staff is followed with an improvement in the playing staff.

Shame about Kelvin though. I started going regularly to St Mary's during our League One era and have good memories of him between the sticks (and some bad!), but he was never proven as a coach and with our league status on the line there is no room for much sentimentality.

• Like 1

The correct decision. Things simply have to change, and I back Ralph to be the one to lead our revival.

Next up, a cull of the playing squad please.

If he is backed in the transfer window and we bring in coaches, I assume Ralph will have a say in who they are, I believe we will improve.

However, my view if there is no improvement or sign of improvement by the time we break for the World Cup, I think Ralph's position will be untenable.

• Like 4

Positive news, hopefully the start of a shake up across staff and players.

Mail article hints at playing squad investment too. Definitely seems like last chance saloon for Ralph, absolutely zero excuses left now for him to get this right.

• Like 3

On 22/05/2022 at 22:28, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

On balance I think I remain in the 'Pro Ralph' camp, but that's conditional on the new owners doing three things:

1. Replacing the coaching staff. All of them. They're fucking shite.

2. Forcing Ralph to get an Assistant Manager. Ralph is capable of getting us playing good football, but he needs a knowledgeable and experienced partner to help him in the situations in which he struggles, and to provide other plan B options when shit on the pitch ain't working.

3. Investing a good nine figure sum into the squad. We need first team ready signings, not just promising youngsters, and of course a reliable, quality striker. Also, let's get some proper Prem experience in the heart of defence and midfield - a couple of 30 somethings who've maybe even won stuff or at the very least challenged for honours, and are perhaps looking for their last decent contract. Then we build around them with youth.

If the above isn't going to happen then there's clearly no point sticking with Ralph, as three years in he's still struggling to achieve any progress with what we've currently got.

OK, that's one tick!

• Like 1

This is hopefully the first of many steps in the right direction this summer. Something needed to change with the coaching, be it the manager, or the people behind him, who've been at the club for years now, breeding averageness and despite question marks, I'm sure we can all agree that Hasenhuttl is a better manager than Fleming, Davis and Watson are coaches. I said it before, Adkins had his own team here with Crosby perceived to be the bad cop to his good cop. Poch had his own team, that he took to Spurs and still works with at PSG. Koeman had his brother, Jan Kluitenberg (sp), Sammy Lee, Watson as a GK coach, even Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes had their own guys. Why we decided we needed everlasting coaches, I don't know. Possibly one of Les Reeds' job for the boys beliefs. As said, we had success here with Watson as a GK coach, but that doesn't make him a good overall coach. Fleming and Davis were promoted well above their stations after being in the youth setup, and, essentially being in the right place at the right time. We all love Davis and I'd welcome the recently vacant ambassadorial role for him, but, sadly we need better as a Premier League coach, in the same way that we needed better in goal once we became a Premier League club.

• Like 7

Good riddance to bad rubbish. They somehow managed to take good players and leach quality out of them. Hope new blood improves it (as long as good coaches) and that will definitely expose Ralph’s aptitude. Wonder if they appoint a number two who clearly has the propensity to step up…

• Like 5

Right decision but a shame that Kelvin's time with the club ends this way. But as others have said he was promoted out of his depth in being elevated to First Team Coach and that is where some of the fault lies.

Hope he continues in the game.

(Sods Law his son moves on to another Academy and turns out to be a star in the making).

14 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Just saw Eric Black at Winchester services. Carrying a toblerone, a signed Jürgen Klopp photo and a sheet of piano music.

I was there and notice a diesel  spillage. Some bloke putting cones around it. Wondered what Dennis Rofe was up to these days.

• Haha 1

Obviously sorry that three fellas have lost their jobs. Good luck to them all.

But, from the club’s POV, this at least seems to be a positive step towards addressing our problems. I won’t claim to have an inside knowledge of our set up, so can’t comment on what Ralph was getting in terms of input from his coaches. But it definitely seems to me that Ralph needs people to support him and challenge his ideas. The whole Salisu long throw nonsense sums up where we were in terms of set piece invention.

it will be interesting to see who comes in and where this leaves Ralph. If I were him, I’d definitely feel like I’d had my wings clipped.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DT said:

It doesn’t really solve lack of in-game nous/tactical obstinacy from Ralph. So not enough for me. 

I think we should wait and see who is appointed as replacements before deciding that. Maybe he'll have a better sounding board with any new coaching team.

I would say the goalkeeper coach is lucky to keep his job too! 

From watching the warm up on match days his distribution is embarrassing, comparing that to the standards of Martyn Margeston he’s way way short! 

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

it will be interesting to see who comes in and where this leaves Ralph. If I were him, I’d definitely feel like I’d had my wings clipped.

That isn't a given. It would be surprising if  he didn't have a big input into who is appointed as replacements. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

This is hopefully the first of many steps in the right direction this summer. Something needed to change with the coaching, be it the manager, or the people behind him, who've been at the club for years now, breeding averageness and despite question marks, I'm sure we can all agree that Hasenhuttl is a better manager than Fleming, Davis and Watson are coaches. I said it before, Adkins had his own team here with Crosby perceived to be the bad cop to his good cop. Poch had his own team, that he took to Spurs and still works with at PSG. Koeman had his brother, Jan Kluitenberg (sp), Sammy Lee, Watson as a GK coach, even Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes had their own guys. Why we decided we needed everlasting coaches, I don't know. Possibly one of Les Reeds' job for the boys beliefs. As said, we had success here with Watson as a GK coach, but that doesn't make him a good overall coach. Fleming and Davis were promoted well above their stations after being in the youth setup, and, essentially being in the right place at the right time. We all love Davis and I'd welcome the recently vacant ambassadorial role for him, but, sadly we need better as a Premier League coach, in the same way that we needed better in goal once we became a Premier League club.

You forgot 'arry. Jim Smith, Joe Jordan and the other fella whose name escapes me. What'Joe doing these days?

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

Right decision but a shame that Kelvin's time with the club ends this way. But as others have said he was promoted out of his depth in being elevated to First Team Coach and that is where some of the fault lies.

Pretty much this...

147b8eb5-31f2-4d8c-b66c-093f1a206032_SP+646+-+The+Peter+Principle (2).jpg

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That isn't a given. It would be surprising if  he didn't have a big input into who is appointed as replacements. 

What I said and what you’ve said aren’t mutually exclusive.

But it seems quite clear that this is a direction he was given. Hopefully it’s a positive move. I just hope it’s not something that Ralph resents, as that spells conflict. Hopefully you’re right, this is something that Ralph wants. I’d just wonder why he didn’t act on it before now.

Edited by The Kraken

Interesting that 2 of the coaches in Watson and Davis were clearly not Ralph’s choosing. Whilst I hate to see people made redundant, it never makes sense to me when a club stipulates a new manager has to work with incumbent coaches, which is what we kept doing.

hopefully all 3 will find further success elsewhere - but now we have a new question - do we let Ralph employ more yes men or find someone Ralph can work with but isn’t afraid to disagree or can compliment his weaknesses. Like that bloke who went to Bayern, never felt like we really replaced him.

Well done SR for making a change, even if it doesn’t work out we needed to try something different. 

• Like 4

A sad but necessary decision.

Now we'll really see how good Sports Republic are. They should have observed Where the weaknesses in the coaching setups are including in Hassenhüttl and need to appoint to create a more rounded set of staff.

Nows a good chance to put down a strong marker for what they want to achieve as owners.

Pleasantly surprised by this. Hopefully we don't scrimp on their replacements, get some coaches in proven to develop talent. We then go into next season with a squad full of players Ralph has chosen to either sign or retain, and a backroom staff you'd assume he's had a hand in picking too. No excuses for next season.

• Like 1

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Saints B team keeper coach not happy...

Obviously he doesn't expect to be elevated to first team duties then.

Perhaps Semmens will give him 100 lines on the first day back, I must learn the difference between there and their.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It was always very hard to get behind people whose main qualification for the job seemed to be, "is here already and we like him." Good luck to them but something had to change. I remember watching Tino’s debut in a pre-season friendly when he came on, darted forward and provided an excellent assist in the first thirty seconds. After a small celebration I though, "we’ll we’ll soon coach that out of him," and it’s basically how it transpired.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1