Joe Aribo

Matthew Le God

Based on the post from the Rangers fan (thank you) it seems Joe Aribo can also play at LB. This provides some cover if Perraud is injured and Small is not deemed ready.

It also could free up JWP in mid field to cover RB if KWP is injured. This gives us options until Tino is back up and running. 

This flexibility takes pressure of full back cover and allows us to focus on improving the attack. Hopefully we'll get to see KWP and Tino both play on the right when fit. Also think Perraud did a good job for his first season so would like to keep them all happy and playing.

The other thing the Rangers fan mentioned was the quality of Aribo's first touch and close control. Brings back memories of Fabrice Fernandes (yes, I remember the crop circles)

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Dank said:

Based on the post from the Rangers fan (thank you) it seems Joe Aribo can also play at LB. This provides some cover if Perraud is injured and Small is not deemed ready.

It also could free up JWP in mid field to cover RB if KWP is injured. This gives us options until Tino is back up and running. 

This flexibility takes pressure of full back cover and allows us to focus on improving the attack. Hopefully we'll get to see KWP and Tino both play on the right when fit. Also think Perraud did a good job for his first season so would like to keep them all happy and playing.

The other thing the Rangers fan mentioned was the quality of Aribo's first touch and close control. Brings back memories of Fabrice Fernandes (yes, I remember the crop circles)

Yeah, there's a lot of versatility in his game and for 'just' £10m that is just priceless. I don't think we can go wrong with this one at all.

I keep watching random youtube vids of him and his touch is just out of this world, that's why he probably finds it easy to play anywhere. Has a bit of a physical presence about him as well.

He's always been one which has stood out for me at Rangers, and as we all know too well there are some absolute gems hiding in the SPL (VVD/Steven Davis/Armstrong)

3 hours ago, Dank said:

He's literally played 36 mins off the bench at left back - he isn't in any way a defender and I'd be amazed if he would ever be considered to play fullback in the Premier League. 

Edited by SFC Chris
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, St.Patrik said:

That's how all football articles should be written in the future. I like the idea of Rangers shredding his contract and that they feel they have "made a killing" on the deal. When Jacob Tanswell one day ends his coverage of Saints on the Athletic, this is the person we need to take over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, SFC Chris said:

He's literally played 36 mins off the bench at left back - he isn't in any way a defender and I'd be amazed if he would ever be considered to play fullback in the Premier League. 

Indeed. He is way way way too slow to ever play at fullback in the Premier League.

24 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Gone a bit quiet here...announced today? 

from a marketing point of view, you want to maximise these signings, so spreading them (announcements) out a little makes total sense - but get it out before everyone from the marcoms department goes on their holiday.

Could have got him for £300k three years ago, but maybe now for £6m we get a more experienced player. Can't wait to see him in a Saints shirt.

About time we got `lucky' with one of these flair players. Boufal, Djenpo and to a slightly lessor degree Redmond, just haven't worked out as well as we hoped.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Possibly. I've heard nothing since, but source reckons 3 medicals this week. Would make sense as its popped out the woodwork....

Thanks, appreciate the snippets 👍. Nice to have a couple of ITK’ers around the place again 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Black Sea Saint said:

The perfect song…

The good thing about signing players from Glasgow is that they come complete with a song (perhaps it’s part of the deal):

And for a more classical style:

Not sure about smuggling a piano into St Mary’s mind 

6 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Great deal for another exciting young player . he has played all over the field and plays mid and front line very effectively,  most minutes on field played over last season of any player in the world, proves he has got an engine and robustness for the pl . 1 in 3 goal scoring and just Learning the front line positions , plays for super eagles, what's not to like for 6mil. WELCOME JOE!

SKY SPORTS NEWS VIDEO: JOE ARIBO’S BEST RANGERS GOALS

Could be exciting lads!

Last few players we’ve signed from Celtic have been some of our best (IMO) so here’s hoping we’ve unearthed another SPL gem. 

Hoping these new faces are able to motivate some of our current squad to push themselves and fight for their places as well as giving us some much needed new options. 

UP THE SAINTS!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ElTrinidad said:

SKY SPORTS NEWS VIDEO: JOE ARIBO’S BEST RANGERS GOALS

Could be exciting lads!

Last few players we’ve signed from Celtic have been some of our best (IMO) so here’s hoping we’ve unearthed another SPL gem. 

Hoping these new faces are able to motivate some of our current squad to push themselves and fight for their places as well as giving us some much needed new options. 

UP THE SAINTS!

Some pretty shocking defending on display but he is confident with shooting and we don’t have many players who offer that.

On 06/07/2022 at 07:16, Rangers72 said:

Hey guys, Rangers fan here, just wanted to jump on to the forum to tell you what kind of player you’ll be getting.

First of all, sounds as if the race is between you and Palace but that you guys are going to win it. To which I say, congratulations, because you’re getting a hell of a player.

First of all, one of the things to understand about Joe is that his intangibles are off-the-charts good. He’s reliable (played 70 games last year), consistent and versatile (he played every outfield position bar two (RB and CB) for us). Above all, he’s a really likeable guy and there’s not a Rangers fan who has a bad word to say about him. Easy to root for. Never complains. His best position is as a No.10 but you can play him as a No.8 too.

On to the pitch, and the first thing that stands out is his control and dribbling. He has the best first touch of any player I’ve ever seen - there are numerous clips of him just instantly controlling a ball falling from the moon with one touch. He also has the ability to beat a man 1v1, and often multiple men (check his goal in the 3-2 win vs Braga to see what I mean - he scored it while playing left back FWIW).

Hes also surprisingly good at winning the ball back, and he’s extremely athletic. He has other strings to his bow, but these are his main selling points.

Downsides are he doesn’t get great numbers, but if you have plenty of that in your team then I wouldn’t worry about it.

Overall, he’s just a brilliant player to watch and definitely one to get excited about. Rangers fans love him but understand that three years is a long time at any club, and that for the London boys the PL is a big draw. I’ve no doubt he’ll be a success for you - he’s done it against some top teams in Europe in recent years, which are a higher standard than all bar two EPL teams. Enjoy him you lucky bastards!

Thanks for that.

We still definitely need to invest in a striker who can bang in at least 10 + goals a season then I think we are nearly there 👍

On 06/07/2022 at 13:34, Kingsland Codger said:

A sad, but realistic, comment - and to think it wasn't that long ago when every Saint on the pitch was an international.

Well with aribo joining we've gained another one! 😛