Saints fans outside the area.

Nieldy

7 hours ago, Margatesaint said:

As my profile name suggests. Buried away in deepest East Kent. Southampton born and bred leaving Hants for work and stayed away. Get to the occasion games, home and away just to get away from the plastic Man U, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham (loads of them here) so called supporters living around me. There are a few Saints around here, occasionally seeing shirts being worn (with pride) and Saints 'We March On' car stickers. COYS 

I'm also East Kent. Canterbury. Moved here for University 12 years ago and never left. I try to get to 5+ games a season but it's not easy as I often work on Saturdays, and our most "local" away games are London, which tend to sell out.

Hoping to get down for the Brentford game in a few weeks.

14 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Devon here too. Only a few counties away but the journey always seems like it’s hundreds of miles due to crap road and rail links to Southampton.

Get to one or two games a season but have the bonus of the kids game at Exeter next month!

Feel for you about the crap roads, went to Brixham last week on hols nearly 4 and a half hrs shit roads.

• Haha 2

Gold Coast, Australia. 
Haven’t been back for a while, miss it a lot, maybe will next couple years and will definitely be at a game. 
was season ticket holder and member since a kid, still watch with interest every day 

Edited by STEVEADAMS
  • Like 1

Born in Winchester and moved up to Nottingham in 1984 when I was 11. Usually get to all the local Midlands games each season, though missed Leicester and Wolves due to other plans. Aiming to get to Leeds and Forest if tickets reach general sale. Usually get to 1 home game at least each season, targeting Palace this time. Love being back in Southampton when we can get down, always have a great time!

Edit: Forgot, there are a fair few Saints fans in Nottm, been stopped a few times when wearing colours to chat with fellow fans, both me and my wife work with other fans as well.

Edited by CylonKing
Added other fans info.

On 30/08/2022 at 13:48, Bad Wolf said:

Also, by pure coincidence, my nextdoor neighbour is a similar age to me and is also a Saints fan! Couldn't believe it when I found out. When we moved here, I was quite standoffish and "I don't want to be too pally with the neighbours" but since establishing the Saints connection, we talk every day pretty much throughout the day and go to the pub and watch most games together...Cheers Saints 😄

You just wouldn't get that if it was United or Liverpool it'd just be a "Cool, me too..." and never mention it again

That is one of the great things about being a Saints fan. Wherever you are in the world, if you meet another Saints fan , you immediately have a friend. There are not so many of us. I have met Saints fans in so many unlikely locations - Times Square , New Orleans, Barcelona airport, Singapore. Always a quick conversation and an agreement of "Up the Saints".

I cannot imagine that it is the same for fans of the "Big 6". 

• Like 1

Born and raised in Southampton but, in 2018, we made our big move to Scotland. No going back now but I love it here in a little village called Kirkhill, near Inverness. I also love being a Saints fan through thick and thin. Nothing plastic about me.

Trips back to Southampton are rare. Came back in February and luckily managed to squeeze in 3 home games. Almost 3 wins but that would have been very "unsaintsy".

Was amazed to see a Portsmouth FC sticker on the back of a car here in my village. Had a bit of banter with the owner and no it wasn't just an unfortunate buy. He really is an exiled Pompey fan. Have to respect his loyalty. Fortunately he lives at the other end of the village so we are socially distanced by geography and league position!

Wherever I am I still follow my team by whatever means I can.    

Edited by BallBoy
spelling
  • Like 3

On 30/08/2022 at 15:18, Doctoroncall said:

Deepest Cambridgeshire due to work after Uni. Only managed to get to a few games at SMS and a few aways. 

I’m sure there are a few Saints fans around here, I remember following a van which had a Saints sticker on it!

I used to travel to a lot of games from Royston Town 2006-2015. 

Born Southampton 74, moved away in 1996 and back again in 2001, with my now wife and new born via, Guildford, Cheltenham and Reading. Then moved away to Royston in 2006 where my wife grew up. We made the move up to Carlisle (where we had family living) in 2015. Love it up here. 

Get to the away games in the north west and north east and down to Leeds, and now Forest. Go to about 6 away games, and probably one home game when we go and visit my sister who is still in Southampton. Normally between Christmas and new year or Easter. 

It’s a good job because I could not afford to go every week like I did in the mid to late 90’s. 

Does mean you are less likely to see us win though. It has been a while. 🙄 

Despite my username I actually live just across the Ottawa River from Ottawa, in Aylmer, Québec.

Started supporting Saints in 1980 when we lived near Andover. After that my family (Dad in the Army) we moved to Germany and then back to UK to N. Yorkshire. We'd go to Leeds, Boro, Sunderland, Newcastle etc. vs Saints.

I later lived in Aberdeen and Newcastle for University before leaving for Canada.

I think the last time I saw Saints live would have been in Nov 2000 vs Sunderland, 2-2 late Dean Richards equalizer and then Tessem missing a huge sitter in injury time. 

Edited by OttawaSaint

On 30/08/2022 at 08:19, Turkish said:

North Yorkshire.

On 30/08/2022 at 08:45, goodymatt said:

Cheshire

On 30/08/2022 at 11:17, Sheaf Saint said:

Sheffield

On 30/08/2022 at 12:43, Le Timmier said:

Cheshire

On 30/08/2022 at 13:45, badgerx16 said:

Morecambe Bay

21 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

Carlisle

On 30/08/2022 at 12:58, Yorkshire Saint said:

Horbury, nearer Wakefield

On 30/08/2022 at 12:20, Yorkshire Saint said:

Not sure Northern Saints or Yorkshire Saints still exists

On 30/08/2022 at 13:51, jasonb said:

Manchester

I used to be a member of the northern saints supporters group. For those who don't know about them (and are northern based) they can apply for tickets for away games as an official supporter group and usually get tickets that are requested. useful for those that might need it.

A small admin fee is payable to join the group. It used to be a fiver and you need to be a registered "customer" with the club. 

EDIT: Now I have a Google I can't seem to find a link of joining the above mentioned club. Hopefully someone linked will be along shortly to clean up the mess I've made 😃

Great to note all these northern-based supporters! As my name suggests I am based in the village of Hurworth near Darlington. Previously I also lived in Northallerton and in Wakefield. I grew up in Hythe and also lived in Farnborough and Basingstoke.

I am sure I will have met some of you who are part of Northern Saints. I tend to attend a few matches each season - mostly up North, though in recent years I have tried to take my youngest daughter to a match at St Marys each season when visiting family.

To answer the questions about Northern Saints...

The club has a presence on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2450705627 

The club itself can be found on Google Groups at https://groups.google.com/g/northernsaints

And... to answer another question:

On 30/08/2022 at 12:29, The Cat said:

For those that live around the country, do you see or know any other Saints fans in your area or are you one of a kind?

As well as Northern Saints, there are a number of other regional Saints groups - some of them with official links to the club like Northern Saints.

Personally, I know a couple of other Saints fans in the Darlington area - one lives on my estate and the other is also a member of Northern Saints with whom I sometimes go to matches.

Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Personally, I know a couple of other Saints fans in the Darlington area - one lives on my estate and the other is also a member of Northern Saints with whom I sometimes go to matches.

A few years ago I was staying with a friend in the Dales and she took me to the station at Darlo to get the train to see Saints at Newcastle. There were a surprising number with Saints colours on the platform, and I don't think Sunderland were at home!

On 03/09/2022 at 14:44, saintstowin said:

Eastbourne for me the past 10+years after living in Charlton all my life. Manage a few games each season. Not a terrible train journey despite the 25+ stops between Brighton and Southampton sometimes!

I’m moving to Eastbourne next month after 40+ years in London. I researched the trains. 2 hrs 40 mins to nearly 3 hrs when you add the train journey from Eastbourne to Brighton. I believe Southern to be quite useless. Going via Clapham Junction is more expensive and no quicker but maybe more reliable? Evening matches at St Mary’s look to be impossible.  I’m a season a season ticket holder and go to most away matches so sadly I’m going to have to scale back. Not keen on driving. Hope Eastbourne is worth it. 

• Sad 1

Grew up in Hedge End but now live between Slough and Maidenhead (Taplow). Get to 5-6 games a year, mostly aways but managed to get to St Mary's for the Leeds game this year. Would love to go more but it's an expensive day out with train and/or fuel costs as they are. Keen to meet other local Saints fans for watching games in the pub.

When I lived in North London I would try to get to away games in London which nets quite a few games most seasons. Now I am in the states my couple visits back I looked to making a match but unfortunately the middle weekends fell when Saints were away in the north far from family (Newcastle and Manchester  I believe) tried to get to Milan when I was in southern Germany for work, but couldn't find a way there and back in the time window. So I do not know when I will get to see them live again. However one advantage is for $5 a month I cam watch all of their premier league games without needing to find a dodgy stream.

London Saints is a well organised and established supporters (really covers the whole South East region). 

In the days before internet, the club was vital when it came to getting hold of tickets and arranging cheap group train travel. These services still exist and it has good sports and social activities.

https://www.londonsaints.com

Now live back in Hampshire but still attend St Mary’s with the friends that I made following Saints home and away in my 30 years living in London.

• Like 1

Old git, used to be a season ticket holder at the Dell, so most home games when my career allowed, plus a smattering of away games. Then on to St Mary’s, but not a season ticket member, though I have a brick in the wall. Emigrated to Australia 9 years ago, and see every match home and away on tv. May come home one day.

Live in Brisbane Australia now so no haven’t been to a game but do have the joy of being able to watch every game on Optus sports so that’s a plus.

but I have the delight of being able to say I went to the last (official) game at The Dell and the first (friendly) at St Mary’s as a wee lad.

• Like 2

Born in Southampton, lived first few years in Bransgore but don't particularly remember much. Chose Saints as my 'hometown' club over family team of Liverpool due to a deal I made with my Grandfather on whoever won a televised game on Easter Sunday 1990...

Anyway, lived in Gloucester since 1988. I am a Gloucester Rugby season ticket holder so tend to get to 4 games a year, mainly the home games as it is pot luck when we are playing teams from the midlands and whether it clashes with rugby etc. Hoping to get to the Newcastle game on 5th November and Nottingham on 2nd Jan. Away fixtures will be a challenge this year but always fancied trying to do Arsenal or Utd.

Hoping for a relatively local fixture in the FA Cup or League Cup too.

West London, would probably have a been a QPR fan if it hadn't been for my Romsey born dad. Get to 2 or 3 home games and when  QPR or Watford are in the same division go to those. Brentford is just down the road, so will probably be visiting there before too long. Been to Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs many times but tickets have gotten harder to to nab over the years if you're not a season ticket holder.

There was one other Southampton fan at my school but he wasn't until we signed Keegan and started finishing in the top 6, bloody plastic.

Edited by Golac's Iron Gonads

Currently in deepest Thailand around 575 km north east of Bangkok. Been living overseas in many places for over 20 years. 

Last time I went to a game was 2018. Stoke and Brighton. Both draws. Both terrible games. 

Grew up in Shirley mainly, through the 1970's. Saw my first game in 1979. Very unlikely I'll be back any be back anytime soon. But I have IPTV so can watch all games. 

On 04/09/2022 at 11:51, CylonKing said:

Born in Winchester and moved up to Nottingham in 1984 when I was 11. Usually get to all the local Midlands games each season, though missed Leicester and Wolves due to other plans. Aiming to get to Leeds and Forest if tickets reach general sale. Usually get to 1 home game at least each season, targeting Palace this time. Love being back in Southampton when we can get down, always have a great time!

Edit: Forgot, there are a fair few Saints fans in Nottm, been stopped a few times when wearing colours to chat with fellow fans, both me and my wife work with other fans as well.

CylonKing, maybe we should form a NottsSaints group?  My lad and I get to several away matches a season (Leicester, Villa, Wolves etc).

Edited by TheH
Adding detail.

Never lived near Southampton (grew up in Hampton in old Middlesex) but my boyhood idol was Ron Davies and from pretending to be him in the junior school playground it was an easy extension to supporting the Saints and use a Red Rover bus ticket to watch all the London games as a teenager. Had a season ticket from late 90s until Covid - with my son (poor lad) whose only link was that I always took him but it's ingrained in him too now. So many great memories inc many away games around the country but the traffic from West Kent round the M25 and down the M3 has become so bad now that I can't see us buying season tickets again. Well - unless we can regularly produce entertaining positive football and it's a long time since we've seen that. Glimmers of hope now though that attendance won't result in a really flat Sat night and depressed Sunday.

9 hours ago, Saint Kent said:

Never lived near Southampton (grew up in Hampton in old Middlesex) but my boyhood idol was Ron Davies and from pretending to be him in the junior school playground it was an easy extension to supporting the Saints and use a Red Rover bus ticket to watch all the London games as a teenager. Had a season ticket from late 90s until Covid - with my son (poor lad) whose only link was that I always took him but it's ingrained in him too now. So many great memories inc many away games around the country but the traffic from West Kent round the M25 and down the M3 has become so bad now that I can't see us buying season tickets again. Well - unless we can regularly produce entertaining positive football and it's a long time since we've seen that. Glimmers of hope now though that attendance won't result in a really flat Sat night and depressed Sunday.

M25 seems to be getting worse since covid especially jt 5-7 and jt 10 -14 , we used to go jt 10 , Guidlford then A31 to cut across via Alton etc which was pretty quiet , then a bit of M3 and the slow bit was to get to West Quay area to park . We used to use Cineworld for parking until they started charging with 4hr limit so used the main shopping multi story at West Quay for £5 before covid.

The all lane running from jt10 has now been put on hoid re safety issues so not much will change . We have to allow 3 hours to go the 90 miles to Heathrow to make sure we don't miss the plane !!!!

Edited by East Kent Saint

By the way before this thread goes any further can someone confirm what “outside the area” is? Our catchment area is south of the line from London, through Birmingham up to Liverpool so a lot of you aren’t from “outside the area” at all. 

Norfolk.

Pig of a journey to home games. Hence haven't been since we lived in London during the League One/Championship era. Went to loads home and away then. Cannot get excited enough about Premier League crowds and atmospheres, they look dreadful. Guess I am getting old too and everything is an effort. 

Edited by adrian lord

From Maidenhead but always supported Saints as my dad's family is from the New Forest. Have had a season ticket for 10 years now after going pretty regularly once we moved to St Mary's. Now live in Sutton in South London/Surrey borders so the drive (or train) is a bit longer than it used to be but still manageable. Used to go to pretty much every away game (particularly in our first few seasons back up) but now tend to just do the London ones and one or two longer distance games per year. 

• Like 1

Chester here. Walked into a tool hire shop this morning in Ellesmere Port (about 5 miles from Chester) and on the counter, was a Saints mug. The chap behind the counter lives up here but was originally from just outside Southampton. I shall use that branch more often as a result. I used to always go to the local away matches and some home but admittedly don't bother so much nowadays with the dodgy box showing all games. 

• Like 1

South Cambridge. My son is also a fan.

When my parents were alive and in Winchester used to go to quite a few games.

Son has young child which makes long weekend trips difficult.

My health is not so good any more and at 75 can't stand so going in the Saints end is a non-starter as I found out at my last away game.

Amazingly enough one of my neighbours is a Saints fan as were her family back in Southampton.