January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 minute ago, DT said:

BANTZ

😀😃 . Im grumpy today as I couldn't get to sleep last night. A stupid game of football with 22 men kicking a ball of air around had got to me again. I so wish I could kick the disease. I said to the wife last night that i cant enjoy watching anymore as it means far too much. A sad indictment on me

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, OldNick said:

😀😃 . Im grumpy today as I couldn't get to sleep last night. A stupid game of football with 22 men kicking a ball of air around had got to me again. I so wish I could kick the disease. I said to the wife last night that i cant enjoy watching anymore as it means far too much. A sad indictment on me

I feel your pain. The first thing I think of after a defeat in the morning is that defeat. And it is so depressing. Not least as I can't see a way out - or rather, we can all see it; investing in a striker - but that it is unlikely to happen. The pain may decrease once we know we're down, I guess. When the team will start playing, probably...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Yeah its only £3m afterall , lol. He was a gamble, and watching Ursic last night who obviously is not ready can we afford to overpay for another like him. 

Definitely a gamble, I’d agree with that. He did seem to be our first choice though, so it’s obviously disappointing to see him go to Bournemouth. We will see how he does there soon enough and whether we were right to walk away.

Orsic looked terrible last night didn’t he? Offered no defensive workrate (not his primary role tbf, but was needed with Newcastle’s pace in Almiron) and he just looked lost positionally. Didn’t really see the explosive pace he displayed in Qatar either. Very underwhelming full debut but it’s far too early to write him off.

The problem is it’s so frustrating for us fans because we can see exactly where/who the problems are.

But there is a growing reluctance from the board to rectify these clear and obvious issues, and that will cost us.

Only the board can tell you whether it is caution for overspending and still being relegated, optimism of our form improving by changing little, or ego just on another planet and oblivious to the obvious problems - at the moment I’m thinking the latter. 
Ankersen isn’t showing himself to be the genius he thinks he is.

50 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Udinese buying another young striker........i can live in hope for Beto

Might as well hope for a Unicorn as a birthday present. Our latest "one we wanted all along" appears to be Antoine Semenyo from Bristol City

Edited by miserableoldgit
  • Haha 1

At the start of this window I had some hope we'd try and get ourselves out of this. We'd get a striker that we've needed for almost 2 years..

Now we're here, I've lost all belief we'll get anyone worthwhile. I used to check Twitter for updated regularly, now I cant even be arsed. Cheers SR.

30 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Well I did the unthinkable of which I am ashamed, I forgot we were playing!!!!. 

I live too far away now to get to the matches, but even so, to forget we are playing and even worse, a semi final is criminal. 

I just feel so beaten up by saints and their performances these last few years, including all the continuing off field carnage, makes feel like I am watching my old faithful dog die. 

I know it sounds over emotional just being a game of football, but a lot of my own personal family history and life is wrapped up in saints having been taken to watch my first game at 6 years old at the Dell in the 60's.

Yes saints have had lots of ups and downs in that time, but this down period has been going on for such a long time, and the bad management and overseeing of the club just seems to be getting worse and worse, it just sucks the desire out of you. 

• Like 2

I'm getting to the point when I hear who we are supposed to be chasing, then sombody else steps in and buys them, because our scouting since Koeman has been awful. Maybe it's just as well we didn't get them. I hope I'm wrong but I'm anticipating another final day thinking surely we'll sign someone/anyone then we don't or panic buy another faulty player.

3 minutes ago, derry said:

I'm getting to the point when I hear who we are supposed to be chasing, then sombody else steps in and buys them, because our scouting since Koeman has been awful. Maybe it's just as well we didn't get them. I hope I'm wrong but I'm anticipating another final day thinking surely we'll sign someone/anyone then we don't or panic buy another faulty player.

Up for debate but: Lavia, Edozie, DCC, Alcaraz, ABK, Salisu, Tino, Broja, KWP, Ings, SArmstrong, Bednarek (for the price) haven't been bad signings at all in reality....

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, derry said:

It's the two japanese Maeda and I think it's Kyoto (Celtic's top scorer) we should be after. We could let them have a Scottish International in part exchange. He might just find his level in that League.

Interestingly, Celtic have signed a new Asian striker this morning.

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Up for debate but: Lavia, Edozie, DCC, Alcaraz, ABK, Salisu, Tino, Broja, KWP, Ings, SArmstrong, Bednarek (for the price) haven't been bad signings at all in reality....

Hoedt, Lamina, Djenepo, Boufal, Diallo, Lyanco, McCarthy, Adams, Armstrong, Perrault, Carillo, etc   

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

The prob is that our big buys have been largely shit, and that has had a knock on effect in future windows as we had no pot to piss in. We then decided to get clever, thought we'd cracked it and went all 'we can build a team of Tino's', and are now having to repair that.

The players we signed in the summer aren't bad players in isolation, not at all, but the balance of the approach was all wrong.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, derry said:

Hoedt, Lamina, Djenepo, Boufal, Diallo, Lyanco, McCarthy, Adams, Armstrong, Perrault, Carillo, etc   

I dont disagree with you on some of those, and there is no doubt that a bunch of them have been a nightmare. But no clubs get all transfers right either. Difference is, we've sold anyone decent and replaced them with players who aren't as good, haven't had the potential to be good enough, or have never progressed into what they should have done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

Unfortunately our corporate, flat pack overlords have absolutely no concept  of those emotions. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Saint IQ said:

Medical happening this afternoon. All going well a signing will be confirmed late evening or tomorrow morning.

I genuinely have no idea who that could be. I'm braced for disappointment but fingers crossed I'm wrong.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, DT said:

Anyone else waking up screaming at visions of Che Adams through on goal or missing that one against Wolves? Just me then

The weird thing about che is that he's OK if he doesn't have time to think. His quick turn and shoot from close in yesterday was good, with a top save by Pope . But his 1 on 1 from a distance.........😱

2 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Did Nathan really say this last night? 😱 Our strikers can't score past the worst keeper in the League, let alone the best. Although I guess if they did it would be an own goal???

Screenshot_20230125-120541.png

Don’t know tbh but what is he supposed to say? Our strikers are shit and couldn’t hit a barn door even if they were stood on the lock?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Did Nathan really say this last night? 😱 Our strikers can't score past the worst keeper in the League, let alone the best. Although I guess if they did it would be an own goal???

Screenshot_20230125-120541.png

He needs a reality check. Non scoring players aren't strikers they only use up the chances real strikers would probably convert. It's all very well supporting his staff but that's not going to solve the problem. Maybe sticking Lyanco up front as he'd probably rattle a few defenders before he got sent off would be more practical. Or try Alcaraz with Mara as a two.