January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

15 hours ago, West end Saints said:

Can't believe soamy have written season off so early when it's so close. Not quite the spirit of 20 odd years ago and great escapes! 

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

I don't knock your positivity, but in those "great escape seasons" we had game changing players and we had players with character. This is the worst all round Saints team i can recall. See below for our squad 20 years ago

The great escape seasons were longer than 20 years ago and were in the 1990's at The Dell. As Toussaint points out we had a half decent squad with some players to moitivate those around them, Dodd, Benali for two the genius of MLT, then Pahars, and Mickey Evans rising to the challenge. this along with The Dell crowd saw us through. 

ABK and Salisu may offer more in the long term, but I'd love for one of them to have a Dean Richards or KenMonkou alongside them in a back 4.

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Badger said:

The great escape seasons were longer than 20 years ago and were in the 1990's at The Dell. As Toussaint points out we had a half decent squad with some players to moitivate those around them, Dodd, Benali for two the genius of MLT, then Pahars, and Mickey Evans rising to the challenge. this along with The Dell crowd saw us through. 

ABK and Salisu may offer more in the long term, but I'd love for one of them to have a Dean Richards or KenMonkou alongside them in a back 4.

Point I was making was, we were adrift with few games left, not 2 points off safely, and 7 off top half with only 1/3 of season gone. 

Worrying but millions miles from already down... And yes I was there to witness simple passes out for throw ins on Tuesday! 

• Like 2

Argentina forward Lionel Messi has agreed a one-year contract extension with Paris St-Germain which will keep the 35-year-old with the French champions until summer 2024. (Le Parisien - in French)

PSG will not let France forward Kylian Mbappe, 24, leave in January and only sell him in the summer at the right price.

another one slipped through the net due to slowness of the board, however PSG offering us a saintsy target on a plate in the summer 

24 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Rondon available on a free. Worth a 6 month contract? I would say pay as you play but I don't think that exists anymore. Big lump of a striker just to add something a bit different?

Definitely worth a short term deal. Have seen him be very effective in the past.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

We finished 8th that season so not a great comparison.

I could easily see this season being like 98/99 where we sign a striker who fires the goals to keep us up

It was only a reference to the 20 years ago part of the original post.

Just checked out the 98 squad, we had some match winners and characters in that squad… MLT, Beatts, Claus, Monkou, Mardsen, Dodd, and so on… I don’t believe we have the comparable  match winners and strong characters in this bunch. I’m hoping between NJ  and the transfer window that changes. 

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Chez said:

Who says Ryan Fraser will deliver now?

Not me! But I probably should have said 'PL Experience' rather than 'deliver now'. That's what I think we'll be looking for and is probably the safer bet.

The risk is that they are more expensive, or just cast-offs from other PL clubs. (i.e Fraser)

36 minutes ago, Turkish said:

1 goal in 27 apperances you do the math. that's a goal a game.

I said, don't you mean "you do the maths"? That word has five letters in, not four. He said "Well what's the difference?" I said "One......You do the math.....sssssss...." - Milton Jones

9 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I said, don't you mean "you do the maths"? That word has five letters in, not four. He said "Well what's the difference?" I said "One......You do the math.....sssssss...." - Milton Jones

I see your sense of humour isn't any better with this login Matthew.

• Haha 1

Just now, LeBizzier69 said:

Err yes….but you do realise that I’m talking about professional footballers?

How are they money grabbing? They do a job for the wages previously agreed with their employer? Just like the rest of us. Or are you suggesting that players should forgo those when they don't play as much out of some kind of moral obligation?

Football is a business, clubs are franchises, players/managers are employees and fans are customers. This isn't a new thing, it's been this way since the 50's.

7 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

How are they money grabbing? They do a job for the wages previously agreed with their employer? Just like the rest of us. Or are you suggesting that players should forgo those when they don't play as much out of some kind of moral obligation?

Football is a business, clubs are franchises, players/managers are employees and fans are customers. This isn't a new thing, it's been this way since the 50's.

Had a bad day? Need a Xmas cuddle?

I think you know I’m referring to big name free agents who want big bucks….but if you didn’t know that, there it is for you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

Had a bad day? Need a Xmas cuddle?

I think you know I’m referring to big name free agents who want big bucks….but if you didn’t know that, there it is for you.

A bit yes. Just got back to Devon and had to get a taxi to St Mary's from Salisbury on Tuesday night having had a 6 hour delay!! So that could explain why I'm subconsciously on the wind up. So if you're offering a lil Xmas cuddle, I wouldn't turn it down.

Again, why should they NOT try and get everything they can? I'm not disagreeing that they're money grabbers but so are 99.99999% of the population.

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

1 goal in 27 apperances you do the math. that's a goal a game.

wonder if shell be back anytime soon...................all these pundits spout out drivil anyhow,just think they also ask peter fucking walton about what he thought about decisions? really he was shit when he was in the game . Why dont they offer a fan lottery so the ordinary fan watching  on tv can offer a different view and not so pleasing on the ears but not foul language.

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

A bit yes. Just got back to Devon and had to get a taxi to St Mary's from Salisbury on Tuesday night having had a 6 hour delay!! So that could explain why I'm subconsciously on the wind up. So if you're offering a lil Xmas cuddle, I wouldn't turn it down.

Again, why should they NOT try and get everything they can? I'm not disagreeing that they're money grabbers but so are 99.99999% of the population.

I’m not saying there’s anything bad about it…otherwise I wouldn’t be saying there must be someone interested in a 6 month deal on loads more than we’d pay per week on a long term contract……just to bang in the goals to keep us up. 
I doubt it would ever be considered due to wage structure but a big name “gun for hire” even on £200k per week could be the best £4.8m we’d ever spend.
I’m sending a hearty hug and pat on the back!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

wonder if shell be back anytime soon...................all these pundits spout out drivil anyhow,just think they also ask peter fucking walton about what he thought about decisions? really he was shit when he was in the game . Why dont they offer a fan lottery so the ordinary fan watching  on tv can offer a different view and not so pleasing on the ears but not foul language.

Walton is the first one they want getting rid of, completely pointless. They should bring Big Ron Atkinson back, he had some cracking lines.

• Haha 1

In all honesty if he gets the goals and gives us another outlet up top as a target man. I'm all for it and it makes sense.

Experienced in the league can hit the ground running and is capable of scoring at this level. 

What are the alternatives?

Bring in another Armstrong from the championship and hope they can play at this level...

Or get someone in from abroad and wait until they adjust...

We need immediate impact and Wood is exactly that 👌 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

With pilchards seeming itk with the nj appointment wood seems a likely target.. also a player that has scored double digits every year for Burnley in a team that didn’t create a lot Is probably also the kind of metric sports republic could like ..

how would you guys feel about this ?

Has Pilchards said we’re in for him? I hope so, good player who scores goals and has experience. I can’t see it myself as not the sort of signing we make. We’re smarter than bringing in proven players in positions we need prove quality 

Edited by Turkish

I’d be very happy to see Chris Wood come in but I don’t see how we’ve got a chance of getting him, if we did it would surely have to be massive wages. Newcastle have recently signed a new striker, Isak, but Calum Wilson seemed to get injured at the World Cup and has always had a flaky injury record. Wood has played 14 league games at Newcastle this season, albeit 12 appearances as a sub. I can see Newcastle wanting better than him, of course, but they’d be risking it a little letting him go without having a replacement. Nice idea but I can’t see it.

35 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I’d be very happy to see Chris Wood come in but I don’t see how we’ve got a chance of getting him, if we did it would surely have to be massive wages. Newcastle have recently signed a new striker, Isak, but Calum Wilson seemed to get injured at the World Cup and has always had a flaky injury record. Wood has played 14 league games at Newcastle this season, albeit 12 appearances as a sub. I can see Newcastle wanting better than him, of course, but they’d be risking it a little letting him go without having a replacement. Nice idea but I can’t see it.

If I remember rightly, the word was that they'll sell if they succeed in getting a replacement.

I think they'd subsidise Wood's wages if it saves them money overall

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

With pilchards seeming itk with the nj appointment wood seems a likely target.. also a player that has scored double digits every year for Burnley in a team that didn’t create a lot Is probably also the kind of metric sports republic could like ..

how would you guys feel about this ?

When he went to Newcastle aged 30 for £25m last January I thought that the market had gone nuts, but to be honest it would be a relief to see him at St Marys now.  He's 6ft 3ins, draws defenders and we desperately need some physicality and presence up front.  He was a reliable source of goals in a battling Burnley side and I think Adams would do well alongside that type of player.  As others have said, not SR Saintsy, but probably just what we need and I hope that we get a few in with genuine Premier League nous. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

If I remember rightly, the word was that they'll sell if they succeed in getting a replacement.

I think they'd subsidise Wood's wages if it saves them money overall

If true then there’s a bit of positivity to it. Just hope it doesn’t lead us on a wild goose chase.

51 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Has Pilchards said we’re in for him? I hope so, good player who scores goals and has experience. I can’t see it myself as not the sort of signing we make. We’re smarter than bringing in proven players in positions we need prove quality 

He said something along the lines of how quick we make our transfers could depend on how fast Newcastle make theirs as we have strong interest  in a couple of theirs..

im guessing wood and fraser..

for me I guess wood could be ok probably better then what we have but not that likely to turn into a world beater ..

id probably rather we go for  vitinha or someone like that, reminds me more of ramos higher ceiling then wood potentially..

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Bought him on my FM career recently. I wasn’t impressed.

I blame MLG, and not my man management. 👍🏻🤣

I watch Celtic a lot and this guy is quality. If we miss out on his this is a huge lack of ambition 

• Like 1