January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

17 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Adams is very strong and has actually improved a fair bit in the air. I don't think Armstrong would be effective if he played alongside Messi/Ronaldo, let alone Victor Gyokeres. 

When are you judging the improvement in the air from? It was only a few games ago Adams went for an open goal header against wolves, missed the ball and handballed it instead. 

3 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

When are you judging the improvement in the air from? It was only a few games ago Adams went for an open goal header against wolves, missed the ball and handballed it instead. 

In general play. He wins a lot more aerial duels than he used to. But yes his heading infront of goal is a different story.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

In general play. He wins a lot more aerial duels than he used to. But yes his heading infront of goal is a different story.

id be interested to see our long ball stats this season, it seems that so far we use direct play to che much more than any previous season. Shows why a tall striker would work so well this jan. 

16 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

A couple of rumours would be nice. Hope the back room stuff hasn’t been a distraction…need a decent striker in the door on NYD. 

We do but I expect the club spiel to be "We wanted Nathan to get used to the side he has before bringing in new players" or something along those lines, then 'panic' buy later in the window. 

And re: Gyokeres and Brereton Diaz, we can and should do better... but it's almost win/win if we do bring one in, as either they score the goals that keep us up or we end up with a decent Championship striker in the Championship (alongside the other Championship strikers we have!).

1 hour ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Chris Wood would be an upgrade on Adams and A.Armstrong. 

Armstrong yes but would say he is of a similar level to Adams.

Also, if we are going to play a front two then we need someone to compliment Adams rather than try to do the same type of job. I think Adams as a physical outlet is pretty decent, and he has shown with Ings and Broja that he can combine well with a finisher who looks to run in behind or who can beat defenders 1v1.

Personally hope we target someone of that type rather than a target man like Wood as don't think that would result in a good combination.

Our forward line is often quite static and one paced so we need a dynamic player.

• Like 1

We have never been a club who's transfers particularly involve a lot of rumours, generally we seem to get media noises 2-3 days before the signings actually happen and go about it very quietly before that, I don't think much has changed in that regard with SR.

I am very much hoping we are not involved in getting PL rejects like Fraser.  I don't see signing players from PL clubs as a sensible route for us because we are not big enough or rich enough to take up and coming players from other clubs (generally the bigger clubs do that to us) so you are talking about players that other middling to lower PL clubs don't want, so why would we want that, the cost of those players and their wages is usually far too much compared to what you get from them. A Romeu or Bertrand style signing might be alright, a good young player not quite getting into a big club, so someone like Gallagher maybe might fit that mould, who isn't getting very regular game time at Chelsea. Cole Palmer at City, van de Beek at Utd, maybe a player like that even then fees and wages are likely to be higher. 

If we get people in that I reckon they will be either from Europe or Championship, under 24 as well. We were targeting the likes of Gakpo and Ramos, probably both might have moved up to the pecking order for bigger clubs but it'll be the next Gakpo or Ramos or similar player. 

• Like 1

At one point in the press conference Jones was asked about the younger players (think it was a question about academy prospects) and whilst NJ praised the academy he also mentioned about how vital experience was so wouldn't surprise me if we were looking at players like Woods and Fraser.  From recollection I think the Luton fan on here mentioned about how much Jones valued experienced players.

10 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

At one point in the press conference Jones was asked about the younger players (think it was a question about academy prospects) and whilst NJ praised the academy he also mentioned about how vital experience was so wouldn't surprise me if we were looking at players like Woods and Fraser.  From recollection I think the Luton fan on here mentioned about how much Jones valued experienced players.

He had cameron jerome up front for him, says enough for me about favouring experience. Still haunted by his goal against us in 1957

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Looking at the Luton squad, there is only one 21 year old and one 22 year old (funnily enough both signed in the summer), with the rest of the squad 24 and above, and mostly in their late 20s.

44 minutes ago, igsey said:

€40m on a striker that hasn't scored a goal this season. Bet Wolves fans are excited!

I expect some on their forum are now busily convincing the other members that he does in fact have an outstanding record of a goal every other game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I expect some on their forum are now busily convincing the other members that he does in fact have an outstanding record of a goal every other game.

He has scored 19 in 40 matches. Do the math. That's a goal a game.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, SambaMaverick said:

Too similar to Che imo. Can't finish but brilliant at bringing others into play or carving out a chance for himself.

They're nothing like each other! Antonio is a bully with proper pace. He's also a goalscorer and creator. Che is none of that . He'd be decent for us imo. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, egg said:

They're nothing like each other! Antonio is a bully with proper pace. He's also a goalscorer and creator. Che is none of that . He'd be decent for us imo. 

I have a load of West Ham mates, who say his legs have gone. But he’d still be an upgrade for us. Wouldn’t come though, think he’s more bothered about setting himself up for life after football, now he has his podcast, and the odd media duty, 

27 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I have a load of West Ham mates, who say his legs have gone. But he’d still be an upgrade for us. Wouldn’t come though, think he’s more bothered about setting himself up for life after football, now he has his podcast, and the odd media duty, 

Added to the fact that he’s made 14 league appearances for WHU this season, and started in 6. So unless they sign someone to replace him, I simply can’t see that they’d let him go.

2 hours ago, Stu Man Do said:

When you consider that Croatian GK was linked in the press today for 15 million Euros you see how much Shields has stitched us up with Gavin.

Can’t see is signing a new when we have 3 on the books already and that Liss fella on loan somewhere. If we sell McCarthy maybe. Bazuna just isn’t ready and will cost us in a relegation battle

• Like 1

Do we need to add a defensive midfielder to our list of required signings?

Lavia is obviously class but if he can't handle a few days of training without getting niggles then he isnt going to be much use in a relegation battle.

AMN and Diallo not up to it, and we will likely need to use AMN as a starting full back at some stage in the next month too.

The decision to let Romeu go seems at this moment to be a poor one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Lavia is obviously class but if he can't handle a few days of training without getting niggles then he isnt going to be much use in a relegation battle.

AMN and Diallo not up to it, and we will likely need to use AMN as a starting full back at some stage in the next month too.

For me a DM has to be a priority along with a striker.

Sell Lavia to Chelsea if they want him. Break the Ings fee record for a new DMC with pace and power. Then break it again for a main striker and £20m on a second one/winger. That’s what needs to happen. Either that or accept relegation and a 3 year plan for automatic promotion. Or loan Wood from Newcastle and spend the second striker money on a quality 10 but still need Gapko-type outlay on a primary striker.

Edited by saint1977

8 hours ago, Dusic said:

He's had a hamstring injury and this recent niggle - we're there other niggles I've missed?