January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

6 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

So you looked at our two pony championship strikers and thought we need another Championship striker

Certainly wouldnt be putting AA and Che in the same 'pony' basket. Che's goals and assists have been vital for us the last few years (7 in the PL last season and 9 the season before). Yes he's missed quite a few sitters this season, but hes still 4 goals in 14 PL games and is getting himself in the right positions. He's been a good signing for £15m. Wasnt long ago he was getting praised on here after running Spurs ragged during our win there last season. Our main issue is the lack of another striker who can put up the same or better numbers. We need that in January.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

While Brereton has a comparable 40 in 138 for Blackburn.

Slightly misleading. His recent record is good 31 in last 58 since the start of 21/22 season. Plus 4 in 17 at interntional level. 

before that it was pretty poor but then he we are talking about a 20, 21 year old at that point. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Slightly misleading. His recent record is good 31 in last 58 since the start of 21/22 season. Plus 4 in 17 at interntional level. 

before that it was pretty poor but then he we are talking about a 20, 21 year old at that point. 

Add in also AA left them and he got better. How come 😂

12 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Just a random question.

Do you think our board have already agreed a fee and price for a striker in Jan after the summer fall out or do you think they want Jones input before then agree who to target ?

I doubt they’ve agreed with anyone otherwise I feel like that would’ve been hinted to by a journo / even ralph when asked about signing a striker.

I think Jones will get a Pelligrino style ‘own man’ signing for a striker then the rest will be unpicked by him youth team players from Man City who will make us a profit because that’s all we care about. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Just a random question.

Do you think our board have already agreed a fee and price for a striker in Jan after the summer fall out or do you think they want Jones input before then agree who to target ?

With the talk of Nathan Jones being seen as the person who can make what we’ve got work better, 

Also, with relegation a clear possibility, the board might choose not to spend big as we will be in financial trouble if we go down. 

Perhaps we will get a loan player in who’s out of favour somewhere and has nothing to lose by joining us in the winter. Just like when we went down when ‘Arry was in charge!

Hopefully, Sports Republic will see that none of the above will be a good way to go and they will take over decision making and boost our chances of avoiding relegation and a likely long stay in the lower leagues. 

There’s been a World Cup to talk about instead.

Now that England are out, Ronaldo has stormed off, Neymar has rolled his way back to Paris I’m sure the rumour mill will pick up.

Ben Brereton Diaz seems to be the one mentioned most on this forum. Like he’s the next best thing. But we all remember how promising strikers from Blackburn turn out 👀

9 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

So so quiet. Not even a silly rumour to ponder. Can not remember it being so quiet a few weeks before a window creaks open. 

True. But then we've not had a WC in December before. I can't recall seeing anything major or even minor for any club to be honest...am sure, as always, it will crank up once the clock ticks round to 1st Jan.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

With the talk of Nathan Jones being seen as the person who can make what we’ve got work better, 

Also, with relegation a clear possibility, the board might choose not to spend big as we will be in financial trouble if we go down. 

Perhaps we will get a loan player in who’s out of favour somewhere and has nothing to lose by joining us in the winter. Just like when we went down when ‘Arry was in charge!

Hopefully, Sports Republic will see that none of the above will be a good way to go and they will take over decision making and boost our chances of avoiding relegation and a likely long stay in the lower leagues. 

They'll be in a lot more financial trouble if we don't invest and then go down.....

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

So so quiet. Not even a silly rumour to ponder. Can not remember it being so quiet a few weeks before a window creaks open. 

There's definitely loads and loads of rumours swirling around for all the other clubs, then? Must have missed that myself.

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

There's definitely loads and loads of rumours swirling around for all the other clubs, then? Must have missed that myself.

Forest have all ready signed someone 

Liverpool and Chelsea in for Bellingham 

ten Hag says United will sign a striker 

wolves to bring in two players from athletico Madrid 

Newcastle have public said they will be flexible in the market

Even Ricky Martin, not the former pop idol contest, has outlined plans for Stoke 

yet what do we get? Silence and a few pictures of them enjoying themselves in Spain. I’m really starting to think Sports Republic want us to go down

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

I think it will be a loan deal. We seem to have an abundance of young attacking players coming through the youth system that could be the answer in a year or so. But for now we need someone to hit the ground running even if it’s only for a short term.

28 minutes ago, Turkish said:

wolves to bring in two players from athleticism Madrid 

Even Ricky Martin, not the former pop idol contest, has outlined plans for Stoke 

yet what do we get? Silence and a few pictures of them enjoying themselves in Spain. I’m really starting to think Sports Republic want us to go down

Wow just popped in for a look and we aren't doing enough again, why don't people just whinge after the window instead of all the time?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Saints4Prem said:

Wow just popped in for a look and we aren't doing enough again, why don't people just whinge after the window instead of all the time?

If you’re happy they sit back whilst Rome burns then that’s up to you. Some of us aim higher 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

wolves to bring in two players from athleticism Madrid 

Caught penny pinching with our pants down.

14 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Won’t be Broja (boat had already sailed, I know), looks likely he’s done his ACL. Like Tino just seems to get his studs caught, horrible bad luck.

Perhapss Chelsea will offer us £35m for Che as his replacement now.  Clouds, silver linings and all that.

3 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

There’s been a World Cup to talk about instead.

Now that England are out, Ronaldo has stormed off, Neymar has rolled his way back to Paris I’m sure the rumour mill will pick up.

Ben Brereton Diaz seems to be the one mentioned most on this forum. Like he’s the next best thing. But we all remember how promising strikers from Blackburn turn out 👀

James Beattie was ok…..

• Like 3

I'm sure we've started transfer windows in years gone by with absolutely nothing from the club for the first couple of weeks, except for rumours of star players' departures. Of course I hope we hit the ground running when the transfer window does open, but won't start to worry unless the situation remains the same in a month's time.

1 minute ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

I'm sure we've started transfer windows in years gone by with absolutely nothing from the club for the first couple of weeks, except for rumours of star players' departures.

At least we finally found the solution for that problem, have no star players 🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

shock horror

doesnt affect us one bit

who cares

wolves to bring in two players from athletico Madrid 

not confirmed

hardly surprising

We're still weeks away from the window opening. Maybe wait until then?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Why not sign someone so they can play/train from the very second the window opens? I mean, we have needed a striker for about a year!!!

Its not football manager fs. Perhaps the striker(s) we're targeting arent available as yet, maybe their clubs are looking for a replacement before selling, maybe they were playing in the WC and want to ensure they dont get injured before agreeing a deal.....theres lots of different reasons why nothing has been confirmed and biggest reason of all, its the january window which has always been a slow window compared to the summer one. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

Its not football manager fs. Perhaps the striker(s) we're targeting arent available as yet, maybe their clubs are looking for a replacement before selling, maybe they were playing in the WC and want to ensure they dont get injured before agreeing a deal.....theres lots of different reasons why nothing has been confirmed and biggest reason of all, its the january window which has always been a slow window compared to the summer one. 

Why does signing someone now relate to a computer game?

Other clubs do it. 

I love it that you think we could be signing a striker at the world cup.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Why does signing someone now relate to a computer game?

Other clubs do it. 

I love it that you think we could be signing a striker at the world cup.

Because you're making it out to be so straight forward which it isnt. I'm pretty sure if our no1 target was available and we could get him in for January 1 then we would. 

How many other PL clubs have signings completed ready to join on Jan 1?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Saints4Prem said:

Because some people get their jollies by slagging others off, especially at the club they are supposed to support. It takes a special type of “supporter” to slag the club off for supposed inactivity (and none of us knows what is going on behind the scenes) well before the transfer window has actually opened. 🙄

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Because some people get their jollies by slagging others off, especially at the club they are supposed to support. It takes a special type of “supporter” to slag the club off for supposed inactivity (and none of us knows what is going on behind the scenes) well before the transfer window has actually opened. 🙄

Christopher Reeve Reaction GIFNot just you soggy but it does happen to you regularly 

I have the feeling we’ll be after a different type of striker this January which is someone we wouldn’t have been looking at before. Luton played with a more direct style of play, utilising target players such as Adebajo (6ft3) up front to win areal duels and even run in behind. Don’t know who this will mean for us though. 

is Chris Wood an actual link or did someone just suggest him?

Wood hasn't been linked I don't think. Not sure why Newcastle would loan him out anyway as Wilson is so injury prone. No way we would buy an expensive player at his age.

Ryan Fraser still the strongest link we have seen. Not a fan myself but clear we need something in that kind of position. Whether he is any better than Armstrong, Elyounoussi etc, I am not convinced.

Has to be a question on who is actually leading recruitment now Shields has gone and obviously Glover too, plus Ralph who clearly had an input. Rasmus is the Chairman of Goztepe so wouldn't have time to do it to the level needed.

As much as Ralph played down Shields' role its clearly bad to go into a massive transfer window without a head of first team recruitment.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

I have the feeling we’ll be after a different type of striker this January which is someone we wouldn’t have been looking at before. Luton played with a more direct style of play, utilising target players such as Adebajo (6ft3) up front to win areal duels and even run in behind. Don’t know who this will mean for us though. 

is Chris Wood an actual link or did someone just suggest him?

I think Chris Wood would be a great singing. Sort of presence up front we’ve not had since Pelle left and although he’s not prolific knows where the goal is had a really good record at Leeds and Burnley. I’m not sure if it was a credible link or just a suggestion by someone, but his age, lack of resale value and wages make him an unlikely permanent signing but a 6 month loan deal would be a good option 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I think Chris Wood would be a great singing. Sort of presence up front we’ve not had since Pelle left and although he’s not prolific knows where the goal is had a really good record at Leeds and Burnley. I’m not sure if it was a credible link or just a suggestion by someone, but his age, lack of resale value and wages make him an unlikely permanent signing but a 6 month loan deal would be a good option 

I agree. Wood on a six month loan deal would be good. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Wood hasn't been linked I don't think. Not sure why Newcastle would loan him out anyway as Wilson is so injury prone. No way we would buy an expensive player at his age.

Ryan Fraser still the strongest link we have seen. Not a fan myself but clear we need something in that kind of position. Whether he is any better than Armstrong, Elyounoussi etc, I am not convinced.

Has to be a question on who is actually leading recruitment now Shields has gone and obviously Glover too, plus Ralph who clearly had an input. Rasmus is the Chairman of Goztepe so wouldn't have time to do it to the level needed.

As much as Ralph played down Shields' role its clearly bad to go into a massive transfer window without a head of first team recruitment.

We've only had two months to replace Shields. This is the Southampton way.

8 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Wtf has ramos been upto 😂😂😂

Ffs 🤦‍♂️ if that’s him he’s finished 😂😂😂

Glad I just searched that on twitter. Didn't need to see the videos, just some basic text about him wanking off in a hotel would have been fine.

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2022 at 21:50, AlexLaw76 said:

Why not sign someone so they can play/train from the very second the window opens? I mean, we have needed a striker for about a year!!!

Players usually only sign for Saints when they have exhausted all their other options - i.e. the end of the window……

On 11/12/2022 at 21:47, woodsaint1 said:

We're still weeks away from the window opening. Maybe wait until then?

Unlikely to work like that.  Recruitment is a non-stop year round process without a beginning point or end point. Windows are when announcements are made and contracts signed. Bit like when national leaders meet.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Unlikely to work like that.  Recruitment is a non-stop year round process without a beginning point or end point. Windows are when announcements are made and contracts signed.

Exactly, it's amusing how many people seem to think you can only start talking to players and clubs once the window opens.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 21:54, woodsaint1 said:

Didn’t stop Van Dyke joining Liverpool on the first day of the window.