January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

33 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

For those still dreaming…

38666BDE-344B-4808-BAC5-023AA0FB1634.jpeg

I think this deal was off as soon as it started getting into the media in the summer, had a whiff of Promes about it from the off. We probably tried way back in the summer but baulked at the cost, and kept an interest as the window closed in case he became more affordable (he didn't).

I still don't see us spending that sort of figure on one player. For sure, we need to, but I think we're wedded to this 'unearth gems for peanuts' strategy no matter what.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think this deal was off as soon as it started getting into the media in the summer, had a whiff of Promes about it from the off. We probably tried way back in the summer but baulked at the cost, and kept an interest as the window closed in case he became more affordable (he didn't).

I still don't see us spending that sort of figure on one player. For sure, we need to, but I think we're wedded to this 'unearth gems for peanuts' strategy no matter what.

Even if he didn’t stay at PSV, he’d be off to Leeds.  As you say, no deal.  Especially not now.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

We’ve had a few of those. Rojo and Buttner too, who were never going to join after Utd’s interest.

1 hour ago, Saint Mikey said:

We’ve had a few of those. Rojo and Buttner too, who were never going to join after Utd’s interest.

Funnily enough, Saints learned two things about dealing with Man United after these scenarios:

1. Never give anyone your last Rojo.

2. Saints were confident of signing a left back that summer but Couldn’t Believe It Wasn’t Buttner.

• Haha 8

7 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I don’t see us spending more than £10-20m this coming window, when SR have just shelled out £100m+ in the summer and £10m on Ralph leaving.

Plus they’ve now got a huge unpaid tax bill to stump up for 

54 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I don’t see us spending more than £10-20m this coming window, when SR have just shelled out £100m+ in the summer and £10m on Ralph leaving.

£75m according to transfermarkt and £28m of which was in the bank when SR took over. Your point still stands though. 

4 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

In other news Djed Spence has removed all his posts from his Instagram. He had a fair few relating to Spurs, a dig at Neil Warnock too after his move.

Maybe he’s been brought down a peg or two and he’s thrown his toys out the pram. 🤣

Isn't that now standard practice for players about to depart? We could do a lot worse, if our own RBs are going to be fit to return.

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

this deal was never on IMO. He thought Man United were going to come in for him, and had his heart set on a move there, but it turned out to just be paper talk. When it dawned him that that was the case, he looked at the other options and felt those clubs were not `big' enough and just couldn't accept those offers, so stayed.

I'm inclined to agree that our original offer took place a while before it came out in the press. By then we had moved on and possibly spent the funds on a few more City nippers. Maybe. I'm not confident the £25m ear marked for him is still there. It might be, but I'd be amazed if we signed a £30m striker in January. Never say never though.

Edited by Chez

I'd imagine if we were willing to spend £30 million plus on a forward in the summer then we are still likely to do that, but it obviously has to be the right choice and getting someone mid season is more difficult.  I wonder if we might dip into the South American market considering their season will be finished, I see no one has taken another punt on bring Gabi Barbosa to Europe for another go despite him bagging a lot of goals over the last 5 years, something like 130 in around 190 games. Has to be probably the best striker outside of Europe right now. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I'd imagine if we were willing to spend £30 million plus on a forward in the summer then we are still likely to do that, but it obviously has to be the right choice and getting someone mid season is more difficult.  I wonder if we might dip into the South American market considering their season will be finished, I see no one has taken another punt on bring Gabi Barbosa to Europe for another go despite him bagging a lot of goals over the last 5 years, something like 130 in around 190 games. Has to be probably the best striker outside of Europe right now. 

Looks to be a clinical finisher and it would be nice to revive the Gabbiadini chant with Ohhh Gabi Barbosa.

We are also at the stage where they need to consider what happens if we do go down, so a loan with an option or obligation perhaps if we stay up?

Also a player who will have a market to grt our money back if we do drop, or who woukd be happy to stay for a season in the Championship (which is going to be a hard sell).

If it was hard to find someone in the summer (when there was also the carrot of the PL shop window before the WC) it will be doubly as hard now.

At least Lavia and ABK's progress will have been firmly noted by players and agents.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tajjuk said:

I wonder if we might dip into the South American market considering their season will be finished, I see no one has taken another punt on bring Gabi Barbosa to Europe for another go despite him bagging a lot of goals over the last 5 years, something like 130 in around 190 games. Has to be probably the best striker outside of Europe right now. 

https://talksport.com/football/1015283/michail-antonio-west-ham-contract-gabriel-barbosa-david-moyes/

Tim Vickery doesn't say too many nice things about him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

There are certainly risks but we are unlikely going to get a good striker who scores regularly and efficiently in the PL without some sort of gamble, be it on unproven youngster, player with injury record (i.e Ings) or maybe someone who's attitude has not always been the best. Also it does seem that Vickery was mainly commenting about his past, the guy has been banging in the goals regularly in all competitions for many seasons now, he's only 25 as well so still can probably improve, plus you'd think he might want to prove himself in Europe after his first failure and missing out on the World Cup squad. 

Edited by tajjuk

Whilst I don't think we'll have endless money to spend, particularly based on Ankersen and Kraft's recent comments, I guess whatever we'd planned to spend in the summer on a striker still remains? In which case, if Forest can attract expensive players to play for Steve Cooper, I'm sure we can do enough to bring someone in to play for Nathan Jones. Of greater concern I think is someone looking at our league position as relegation fodder. If we can get somewhere between 6 and 9 points from Brighton, Fulham and Forest, that would help our recruitment most.

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

28 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

When it comes to this winter’s transfer news, is anyone concerned by the talk of Nathan Jones being chosen because he can work with what we have?

No not at all.

I’m sure we have some deals lined up as they know what we have in the attacking line is not good enough.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Whilst I don't think we'll have endless money to spend, particularly based on Ankersen and Kraft's recent comments, I guess whatever we'd planned to spend in the summer on a striker still remains? In which case, if Forest can attract expensive players to play for Steve Cooper, I'm sure we can do enough to bring someone in to play for Nathan Jones. Of greater concern I think is someone looking at our league position as relegation fodder. If we can get somewhere between 6 and 9 points from Brighton, Fulham and Forest, that would help our recruitment most.

Catch 22 as to get 6 or 9 points we will need a striker or 2 . 

a more realistic target would be 4 points max both Brighton and Fulham are good sides . 

40 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Isn’t this a player we were linked to a while back? Could we be one of these 2 PL clubs?

I thought it was a Fluminense player … they have a Matheus Martins?

Anyway, it’s all just agent speak (blatant attempt to flush MLG out 😉)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

I thought it was a Fluminense player … they have a Matheus Martins?

Anyway, it’s all just agent speak (blatant attempt to flush MLG out 😉)

Ah yes that is the Matheus we were linked with before, I think it was then reported he was in talks with Udinese. 

Perhaps our transfer strategy is to sign a Matheus, any Matheus 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Ah yes that is the Matheus we were linked with before, I think it was then reported he was in talks with Udinese. 

Perhaps our transfer strategy is to sign a Matheus, any Matheus 😂

Nothing really Matheus
Nothing really Mattheus to me

sang well known Saints fans Queen, tired of being linked to anyone with the same name and signing none of them.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Isn’t this a player we were linked to a while back? Could we be one of these 2 PL clubs?

Hope not. 18 year old kid with three first team sub appearances. If Sport Republic avoid proven talent and attempt to expand their expensive kindergarten in January, we are toast! 

4 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Nothing really Matheus
Nothing really Mattheus to me

sang well known Saints fans Queen, tired of being linked to anyone with the same name and signing none of them.

Go for the Del Amitri “nothing really matters”.

plenty of space to add “he hates Pompey” in that song too 😉

The club have been posting on Instagram about Gabbiadini's goal against Swansea and calling it their favourite 'Gabbi-goal'.

Could this be a teaser for our new striker Gabriel Barbosa, known throughout Brasil as 'Gabi-gol'?

He's pissed that he didn't make the Brasil WC squad, and Arsenal's Martinelli did - maybe he fancies a move to the PL? Flamengo paid €18m for him a couple of years ago, so might be happy to double their money if we still have the Gakpo cash burning a hole in our pockets.

Fingers crossed...

Edited by petermcpete

4 hours ago, petermcpete said:

The club have been posting on Instagram about Gabbiadini's goal against Swansea and calling it their favourite 'Gabbi-goal'.

Could this be a teaser for our new striker Gabriel Barbosa, known throughout Brasil as 'Gabi-gol'?

He's pissed that he didn't make the Brasil WC squad, and Arsenal's Martinelli did - maybe he fancies a move to the PL? Flamengo paid €18m for him a couple of years ago, so might be happy to double their money if we still have the Gakpo cash burning a hole in our pockets.

Fingers crossed...

Great ingenuity Peter. Tenuous at best 👌 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, petermcpete said:

Fingers crossed...

SOLD

I for one will welcome the self obsessed, dyed blonde hair wearing goal machine for 2 years before someone with big pockets buy him.

Cos to be honest we've got a load of professionals who cant score so we need try some crazy to get us goals.

Also looking at the brief Brazilian gossip they reckon he didn't go to the world cup cos neymar doesnt like him, which is possible as neymar is an ego maniac.

"All this transfer talk is fair, with Gabigol in unbelievable form since joining Flamengo, and showcasing his talent over why Inter Milan had paid a hefty fee for him in 2015. He has been in incredible orm, successfully fulfilling the role of the main goalscorer of the Copa Libertadores winners. Even more than that, he has shown his leadership qualities and willpower in his spell in Flamengo.  What is the reason he failed to have such an amazing display in Inter Milan? One of the reasons for that is the lack of shots during that period. He is a striker whose consistency in goalscoring very much depends on shot volume. However, he can’t consistently score goals from rare moments in a game. In Inter in the 2016/17 season, he had nine appearances as a sub with 10 shots"

Might have a bit of a problem with this though.

"Most yellows are not for fouls or dirty play, but for extreme celebrations. He has created a cult with his celebrations and goals, but in a big club, this kind of behaviour becomes risky"

Sign me up

https://www.foottheball.com/players-in-focus/gabriel-barbosa-gabigol-stats-profile-brazil-scout-report-transfer-news-analysis-potential/

Edited by Convict Colony

On 23/11/2022 at 22:03, Maggie May said:

Funnily enough, Saints learned two things about dealing with Man United after these scenarios:

1. Never give anyone your last Rojo.

2. Saints were confident of signing a left back that summer but Couldn’t Believe It Wasn’t Buttner.

We were linked to Ben Ecolé at the time

• Haha 2

Really like the look of Niclas Fullkrug, the big German centre forward who scored a cracker against Spain last night.  Looks just what we could do with, power, mobile, good first touch and actually scores goals. 29 now, but contract running down at Werder Bremen.  No knowledge of whether Saints have interest, simply a World Cup spot, but would likely give us that Lambert / Pelle focal point.    

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

we all know we will be linked with loads of players during January, nothing will happen then at the end it'll be "we tried very hard but......."

"Nathan was clear he only wanted to add if it was really needed as he believes in the group here and in Harry Cornick there is player he has worked with before and really thinks can operate at this level, so we were pleased to bring him in from Luton. He had other options but was really clear about wanting to come here so that speaks volumes for what we are doing."

• Like 1