January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Not sure about when he played for Midtjylland. 

All I know is like he is 6.7 and can actually actually score with head. Which would give us a needed presence up top  

Highlights reel for anyone interested. 

Looks exactly what we are crying out for! 

8 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Not sure about when he played for Midtjylland. 

All I know is like he is 6.7 and can actually actually score with head. Which would give us a needed presence up top  

Highlights reel for anyone interested. 

Looks exactly what we are crying out for! 

Age 28.

Agree he looks like something we need, but at that age doesn’t satisfy one of the “metrics” we use (in current parlance). 

Unless  there’s been a change in the clubs signing policy I think we can rule that one out.

Traore mentioned in an earlier post, age 21, is more in keeping with Saints strategy.

Personally I’d like to see us relax the age targets but that remains to be seen. 

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

Age 28.

Agree he looks like something we need, but at that age doesn’t satisfy one of the “metrics” we use (in current parlance). 

Unless  there’s been a change in the clubs signing policy I think we can rule that one out.

Traore mentioned in an earlier post, age 21, is more in keeping with Saints strategy.

Personally I’d like to see us relax the age targets but that remains to be seen. 

We don’t need another YHGTI we need someone to come in and make a difference now, that’s the problem that don’t come cheap or easy especially in January 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

We don’t need another YHGTI we need someone to come in and make a difference now, that’s the problem that don’t come cheap or easy especially in January 

Agree with you, but it would take a shift of emphasis in our recruitment dept. Perhaps looking down the barrel  of relegation might focus the minds. 

January does present difficultly, as does our league position in convincing the calibre of player needed to join the “project”.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

I still can’t quite believe we managed to spend £80m in the summer, the first season in years we’ve not had to sell to buy and we’re now significantly worse than we were last season 

Well, we had a bonzer strategy of bringing in a guy who used to recruit for the Man City youth team, we let him him sign a bunch of untried nippers from Man City for huge money and expected they’d slot straight into our first team, then he left us straight after the transfer window shut so that he could go somewhere else.

Its not the best strategy I’ve ever seen. When you write it down, it actually sounds even more daft than it was.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Well, we had a bonzer strategy of bringing in a guy who used to recruit for the Man City youth team, we let him him sign a bunch of untried nippers from Man City for huge money and expected they’d slot straight into our first team, then he left us straight after the transfer window shut so that he could go somewhere else.

Its not the best strategy I’ve ever seen. When you write it down, it actually sounds even more daft than it was.

Not as bad as Liz Truss

Revealed: the £30bn cost of Liz Truss’s disastrous mini-budget | Liz Truss | The Guardian

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

What do we think is priority?

1. Striker who is a finisher

2. Wide forward with some pace and goal threat

3. Centre mid cover, especially if AMN needed at RB for a while?

4. LB cover?

Number one by an absolute mile. We’d be comfortably mid table right now if we weren’t utterly hapless in front of goal.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Dusic said:

What do we think is priority?

1. Striker who is a finisher

2. Wide forward with some pace and goal threat

3. Centre mid cover, especially if AMN needed at RB for a while?

4. LB cover?

Absolutely need to get 1 and 2 in January, then I’d target a veteran CM if the price is right 

3 minutes ago, ecurnew02 said:

Absolutely need to get 1 and 2 in January, then I’d target a veteran CM if the price is right 

Everton ..Leeds and wolves are all in the market for a striker .. can’t afford to hang around waiting until around the end of the window .. whoever it is we’ve been looking at and studying .. pay the fucker wot he wants don’t fuck around saints.. do it early !! 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, The Kraken said:

In some ways better than it could have been - if those rumours of us being prepared to drop thirty odd mil on Delap, we would have basically bet the entire farm on unproven kids.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 3

I think it’ll be maybe one or two from the EFL that we’ll bring in.

Anyone expecting the Gakpo signing should get real straight away. He’s destined for better things, especially after the season so far - he’ll probably end up at Man United or Liverpool.

I can’t see us spending stupid money this January, a bit of money yes, but it’ll not be a Newcastle revolution like last January.
SR won’t spend another £50m having already spent over £100m; and knowing full well we’d like not get any player sales as our squad just isn’t good enough, who would want any of them right now? 😅

22 hours ago, Badger said:

Age 28.

I think 28 would be fine within the clubs policy, whilst we tend to go more for the 21-24 sort of bracket we have occasionally signed an older player over the years.

It's hardly like he's 32.  I mean 28 I think was the age we got Pelle in the past?.  Culeta-Car is 26, Armstrong must have been 26, and wasn't Ings 26/27? So not too different to those. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Kraken said:

You forgot the bit about him going to the club that wants to sign probably the best of the "nippers" he brought in from us in the next window.

15 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Havent heard this word for ages, reminds me of this legend joe mangel

download (1).jpeg

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Wait are people suggesting we shop for a striker in the the championship again 🤣

I've got a bridge to sell you

Are you suggesting not a single Championship striker could ever step up and score goals in the Premier League?

Saints are going to need to see a pick in performances and results by early January if we're going to see any flicker of interest from a decent goalscorer. Fail to get something from BHA, Fulham & Forest and we'll be looking into a long, dark tunnel.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Caleta-Car and Aribo are both 26 so clearly the SR policy doesn’t completely rule out players who have a little bit of experience behind them, so hopefully they’ve got their eyes on a prolific striker of any age.

With both of those players I think value was the main driver. Both were significantly less than their previous valuations. Marseille signed DCC for £17m, we paid £8.5m. Aribo was so cheap it was a no brainer to bring him in. When it comes to our goalscoring salvation I don’t see us spending £25-30m on a player that might decrease in value. It would be the biggest transfer fee in our history and our model would need that player to increase in value like Broja/Gakpo. Sadly it won’t be either of those players now.

In the real world, relegation is of course more expensive than buying a striker at his peak and losing money on him when he’s over the hill. However the summer window and even our recent managerial appointment shows that SR like to think outside of the box. We MUST sign a clinical goalscorer and I’m very intrigued to find out who that’s going to be. We wait.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, The Cat said:

Marcus Thuram is banging them in for Monchengladbach this season.

Contract up at the end of the season. Other Prem teams interested apparently.

https://youtu.be/gg6YXidZbuQ

This is the sort of player we should be after. Decent finisher and has good experience in a top league. 

Didn't have the best season last year but as you say, he's scored 10 goals already this season. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

This is the sort of player we should be after. Decent finisher and has good experience in a top league. 

Didn't have the best season last year but as you say, he's scored 10 goals already this season. 

Issue is with six months left on his contract, what's the point in joining a club in the mix for relegation when he can wait six months, keep scoring goals and then have the pick of clubs at the end of the season with a bigger contract because he's a free transfer. 

8 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Anyone expecting the Gakpo signing should get real straight away. He’s destined for better things, especially after the season so far - he’ll probably end up at Man United or Liverpool.

I can’t see us spending stupid money this January, a bit of money yes, but it’ll not be a Newcastle revolution like last January.
SR won’t spend another £50m having already spent over £100m; and knowing full well we’d like not get any player sales as our squad just isn’t good enough, who would want any of them right now? 😅

Chelsea offered us 50m for Lavia before the summer window closed...  Not saying we should sell him: We ought to be building the team around him so that he wants to stay a year longer than we might normally manage.

Salisu appears to be running his contract down. Again I'd rather keep him on a new contract. Don't think he has kicked on enough for a really big move since his early promising signs.

AA would sell to a Championship club - but not for lots.

Hardly any of our players are worth big money, nor will they go to a big club.

The only teams bidding for Adam Armstrong or Diallo are going to be Championship/low end teams; and they aren’t going to be paying as much as we did for them as they haven’t proven anything at a higher level.

Sport Republic aren’t going to get any money coming in for the shower of shite we currently have under contract, and they aren’t going to be spending £50m again having spent £100m+ in the summer.

Nathan Jones coming in is likely a sign of “You’re good with younger players, here is a team of younger players, we’ll give you a small amount to spend but you’ll largely have to work with what you’ve already got. Good luck.”

I think anyone that believes we’re looking for a £30m player or are going to be spending another £50m+ this January needs to give their head a wobble.

🤣

🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Hardly any of our players are worth big money, nor will they go to a big club.

The only teams bidding for Adam Armstrong or Diallo are going to be Championship/low end teams; and they aren’t going to be paying as much as we did for them as they haven’t proven anything at a higher level.

Sport Republic aren’t going to get any money coming in for the shower of shite we currently have under contract, and they aren’t going to be spending £50m again having spent £100m+ in the summer.

Nathan Jones coming in is likely a sign of “You’re good with younger players, here is a team of younger players, we’ll give you a small amount to spend but you’ll largely have to work with what you’ve already got. Good luck.”

I think anyone that believes we’re looking for a £30m player or are going to be spending another £50m+ this January needs to give their head a wobble.

🤣

🤷🏻‍♂️

We bid c£40m for Gakpo... So why wouldn't we be looking to spend that in Jan?  I guess it may be a little less as we've had to pay off Ralph since then, but the money should still be there 

3 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

We bid c£40m for Gakpo... So why wouldn't we be looking to spend that in Jan?  I guess it may be a little less as we've had to pay off Ralph since then, but the money should still be there 

Theoretically. But the “buy teenagers approach” you’d say based on league position, isn’t working right now.

I just think we’ll go for some established Football League players with a bit of a back bone on them. Gyork (can’t spell his name) from Coventry maybe? Players along those lines, etc 😊

10 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

If it's a choice between spending stupid money on a proven goal scorer to give us a shot of staying up, and not doing that, I think they'll choose the former. Obviously a good goal scorer at a decent price would be great, but they are as rare as hen's teeth.

23 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Expect a couple of lads from Luton then....

On a serious note regarding Paul Onuachu 28 or 29 I don't give  damm if he scores the goals to keep us in the Premier League.. 

LuckNumber7 posted a link to an article on the match thread taken from a Luton article in which one of their directors said:

Asked if there were any restrictions on Southampton taking any of Luton’s players, Sweet said:  

“They are no different to any other club right now. You can’t restrict movement on players, it would be illegal. 

“If they come in in January, it means they have to pay a higher price than any other club, if that is the case.

“And, that isn’t a message out to anywhere saying we have players available for sale in January. Everybody knows what this business is like. If someone offered this football club enough money for me, I would probably sell myself and give the money to the club! The club needs money to carry on but they have to pay more than everybody else.”

https://thelutonian.com/its-a-sexy-project-everything-chief-exec-gary-sweet-said-on-search-for-new-luton-boss/

On 12/11/2022 at 12:20, Turkish said:

I still can’t quite believe we managed to spend £80m in the summer, the first season in years we’ve not had to sell to buy and we’re now significantly worse than we were last season 

4 points worse and 4 places. I don’t think that’s significantly worse. 
What’s worse is the ill feeling and pessimism of some of our ‘fans’

• Like 1