January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Wasn’t Gakpo, or Broja who were the ones we wanted. The money being talked about for Delap was ridiculous, so glad we kept away from that one. 

So, did we want Gapko? Or was that a smokescreen?

Still pretty much a total failure to land an improvement Striker. I dont want Ralph to continue, but accept likely he is here til World Cup, and possibly after.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, manji said:

Our signing policy was excellent until we got to attackers. We had a couple of willing signings. With a couple of days to go Sports Republic told Semmens to go out and make the signings “ money no object “ within reason of course. Semmens blew the signings by haggling over £4m 🙄.

Same as Les then over Fabian schar

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Still pretty much a total failure to land an improvement Striker. I dont want Ralph to continue, but accept likely he is here til World Cup, and possibly after.

He didn't chose Saints and Man U stuck their oar in , Leeds was muted as his choice over Saints but it looks like he wasn't convinced a move was right for him and probably neither was his club.

23 hours ago, disconnect said:

Always thought Billing was pretty good and would be good for us - add a bit of physicality and can play a bit 

Gary O'Neal pushed him further forward (where they don't have to rely on his tracking anyone - which makes sense as he doesn't work anywhere near hard enough to play in midfield) and it has worked a dream for them. 

They ain't selling him to us in the next window. If they go down maybe...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Still pretty much a total failure to land an improvement Striker. 

Widely reported that we bid. If that's the case, then I don't know what you mean by `smokescreen'. Smokescreen for what? 

All summer long Gapko was linked with United. When they didn't come in for him, he was bound to be disappointed and accepting an offer from Leeds or Saints would be hard to do. Both clubs are a serious step down. It's not surprising he had misgivings, took his time to make a decision (and perhaps stall to allow time for a bigger fish to come in) and then ultimately leave us hanging.

I am guessing his agent did a brilliant job of convincing us that he would join us if we could agree terms with PSV, but it was obviously bollocks.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chez said:

Widely reported that we bid. If that's the case, then I don't know what you mean by `smokescreen'. Smokescreen for what? 

All summer long Gapko was linked with United. When they didn't come in for him, he was bound to be disappointed and accepting an offer from Leeds or Saints would be hard to do. Both clubs are a serious step down. It's not surprising he had misgivings, took his time to make a decision (and perhaps stall to allow time for a bigger fish to come in) and then ultimately leave us hanging.

I am guessing his agent did a brilliant job of convincing us that he would join us if we could agree terms with PSV, but it was obviously bollocks.

The thing I don’t get about the Gapko stuff is he’s clearly a very good player but we were after a striker, he’s more of a winger. He definitely isn’t an out and or striker we wanted and needed. He’s a completely different sort of player to Delap and Broja who we were in for so makes me think there was another deal that didn’t happen that was never in the media. Most of our signings only made the news when they were as good as done. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

The thing I don’t get about the Gapko stuff is he’s clearly a very good player but we were after a striker, he’s more of a winger. He definitely isn’t an out and or striker we wanted and needed. He’s a completely different sort of player to Delap and Broja who we were in for so makes me think there was another deal that didn’t happen that was never in the media. Most of our signings only made the news when they were as good as done. 

don't get that either, although we have been playing AA left wing, so we obviously needed someone to play there too, as well as someone to play down the middle. 

I bet we tried with others too. We won't have made an offer for Delap got a no and then given up on a striker. No idea who though.

18 hours ago, Chez said:

Someone else said above we weren’t in for him. Unless i read that wrong.

17 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Matheus Martins, jogador de 19 anos do Fluminense está muito perto de assinar pelo Southampton por uma verba de 9 milhões.

Matheus Martins, 19 years old Fluminense player is very close to signing for Southampton for a sum of 9 million.
🤷🏻‍♂️

3 goals in his last 28 games doesn't stand out as a great stat, although he's not really played many full matches in that time.

Scored in his last game after coming off the bench.

• Like 2

I can see why we're looking at the South American market given when their season's end, it's easier to negotiate. I don't know anything about Matheus Martins but if he's been playing at Brazillian youth level and getting first team appearances for Fluminense, he must be well regarded. He'll be a raw talent, probably not yet suited to Premier League football but I wonder if we're getting him because we're promising first team football.

On 23/10/2022 at 12:52, Turkish said:

I thought this too. We seemed to want a striker and we’re, apparently, prepared to offer 25-30m for Broja and Delap. We were probably aware of the situation with Gakpo and switched to him after failing to sign ‘the striker’. If that is the case I would like to know who it was.

We really need a Gakpo and a decent striker.

34 minutes ago, wooley7 said:

I thought this too. We seemed to want a striker and we’re, apparently, prepared to offer 25-30m for Broja and Delap. We were probably aware of the situation with Gakpo and switched to him after failing to sign ‘the striker’. If that is the case I would like to know who it was.

We really need a Gakpo and a decent striker.

The striker was Broja. Tuchel pulled the plug on it late on, and then got the boot. Chelsea messed us around all summer. No doubt we’ve been looking at Gakpo for a while and was certainly one we thought we could get. Ten Haag going to Utd and enquiring about him caused us a load of issues with that one. 

• Like 1

On 24/10/2022 at 07:27, The Cat said:

3 goals in his last 28 games doesn't stand out as a great stat, although he's not really played many full matches in that time.

Scored in his last game after coming off the bench.

In Richarlison's first season at Fluminense he had 4 goals in 31 appearances - does lightening strike twice?

2 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Junior Adamu we were linked with in the summer scores for Salzburg against Chelsea. Make it so.

I was coming here to comment the same thing! I wouldn’t want him to be our “marquee” signing but he’s a quality player with the ability to make the opposing CBs struggle and is destined a Top 5 league move soon enough 

8 hours ago, skintsaint said:

If he really want him it will be a big mistake to wait until after the World Cup

On 26/06/2022 at 18:27, Roo1976 said:

So you'd hang around that mess of a club and the situation.Did well to stick with it all season tbh

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Hampshire live reporting we might be in for Djed Spence as Kwp and tino are long term injuries. 

Would make sense. Spuds would only loan him but we'd only need a six month deal anyway.  Was good for Forest last season but not had a look in this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris cooper said:

Hampshire live reporting we might be in for Djed Spence as Kwp and tino are long term injuries. 

Ideal to play the wingback role (as he did at Forrest) we are currently deploying rather than as a standard right back.

Great to hear about ABK and Lavia being back earlier than anticipated. After the last couple of decent results, it's easier to look forward to January with a bit of optimism and how nice our team could look with a high-profile attacking addition or two. Something which is clearly on the owners mind after the Gakpo chase. 

Che
? - ?/S. Armstrong - Aribo
Lavia - JWP
KWP - Salisu - ABK - Livramento
Bazunu

McCarthy, DCC, Lyanco, Perraud, AMN, Diallo, Elyounoussi, Edozie, Mara, A. Armstrong

Overall a reasonably strong squad, given how most of the new signings have started. Based on what we've seen so far I'd hope that Edozie starts pressing for a more regular role as well. Gakpo clearly woould have been a brilliant fit based on what he's doing so far, but if our budget for this acquisition really is £30m~ then I'd back us to do well with it.

23 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Has Tino had a set back?

He did his ACL at the end of April. Conservative estimates for that kind of injury always suggest a minimum of 9 months (end of January), and even then it takes a long time to get back up to full fitness afterwards.

Wouldn't surprise me if he manages only half a dozen starts this seasons. Temper your expectations - it was a really bad knock.

Edit: I should also add that we have a very poor record with ACL recoveries. Rodriguez took two years and a second operation. McQueen never got back on the park and had to retire. Sam Bailey (B Team) has had to have a second operation. Can't actually think of anyone in our recent history who has recovered properly from a torn ACL. Romeu came back well, but we had nothing to do with that.

Edit 2: Forster. He came back to roughly the same level. 

Edited by qwertyell

2 hours ago, qwertyell said:

He did his ACL at the end of April. Conservative estimates for that kind of injury always suggest a minimum of 9 months (end of January), and even then it takes a long time to get back up to full fitness afterwards.

Wouldn't surprise me if he manages only half a dozen starts this seasons. Temper your expectations - it was a really bad knock.

Edit: I should also add that we have a very poor record with ACL recoveries. Rodriguez took two years and a second operation. McQueen never got back on the park and had to retire. Sam Bailey (B Team) has had to have a second operation. Can't actually think of anyone in our recent history who has recovered properly from a torn ACL. Romeu came back well, but we had nothing to do with that.

Tino s carreer is fucked, he ll never be the same again

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

I guess that's the same 'fucked' as Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Virgil Van Dyk, Falcao, Shearer, Xavi, Totti to name just a few.

He's young enough to get right back up to speed. I wouldn't expect much from him this season, give him a full pre-season behind him and he'll be our first choice RB in 23/24. Hopefully in the PL.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, qwertyell said:

I would estimate this is a four Prime Ministers injury 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Mixedkebab said:

Probably not a Saints style signing but Chris Wood likely to be available in January, great back up for Adams if he was to get injured or keep him on his toes 

Just what we need, another non-scoring support forward.

2 hours ago, Mixedkebab said:

Probably not a Saints style signing but Chris Wood likely to be available in January, great back up for Adams if he was to get injured or keep him on his toes 

Personally I think he'd be decent for us. More mobile than he's given credit for, decent ish touch, strong, and can finish.

We have worse, and could do much worse. 

Edited by egg
Shit typing.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Fuck me, you're a bundle of fun aren't you! None of us know whether his recovery will be more Shearer than McQueen, but give the kid a chance before you write him off ffs. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, egg said:

Personally I think he'd be decent for us. More mobile than he's given credit for, decent ish touch, strong, and can finish.

We have worse, and could do much worse. 

MLG, what's with all the reactions using your old login but not posting under it?  

Edited by egg
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Just what we need, another non-scoring support forward.

He scored more than a goal every three games for Burnley. That's decent at our level. Che, by comparison, has a goal every five games for us.

I don't know if he's past it now but you'd think with his style of play he'd be able to carry on well into his 30s

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer