January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

5 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Had we signed a clinical striker I reckon we'd have 4, maybe 6 points more than we do now. We won't achieve our aims this season until we sign one.

Hopefully we won't panic and get a Carrillo type...

This is the painful truth. I reckon we'd have beaten Everton and drawn with Wolves at the least. Really bad misses in both that a clinical striker dispatches. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LaptopSaint said:

This is the painful truth. I reckon we'd have beaten Everton and drawn with Wolves at the least. Really bad misses in both that a clinical striker dispatches. 

We lost to Everton due to switching off in defence, we lost to wolves due to one of the worst misses you’ll ever see, it was the short of chance a Sunday league 4 striker would never be allowed to forget if they missed. We lost to Villa because we put in one of the worst performances since we came back up . That’s the painful truth. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

We lost to Everton due to switching off in defence, we lost to wolves due to one of the worst misses you’ll ever see, it was the short of chance a Sunday league 4 striker would never be allowed to forget if they missed. We lost to Villa because we put in one of the worst performances since we came back up . That’s the painful truth. 

Not a very persuave comment when clearly missed oppurtunities in scoring goals puts a lot ofstress on young defenders

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

I notice that Delap is scoring for fun at Stoke.

The young lad Tella at Burnley is one to watch perhaps😍

Never understood why everyone thought Delap would be the answer to all our problems. Very strange that people were actually pleased about the potential of signing him for £30 Million

• Like 3

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Never understood why everyone thought Delap would be the answer to all our problems. Very strange that people were actually pleased about the potential of signing him for £30 Million

There are just excited when we spend big, classic fan spoilt mentality behaving like a 4 year old kid needing his lollipop.

• Like 1

Regardless of manager situation this window will surely make the difference of staying up or relegation.

An attacking upgrade, or two, is an absolute must.

SR will know this and seemingly have cash so hopefully something will be done very early on given the WC break (and our kind fixtures)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Regardless of manager situation this window will surely make the difference of staying up or relegation.

An attacking upgrade, or two, is an absolute must.

SR will know this and seemingly have cash so hopefully something will be done very early on given the WC break (and our kind fixtures)

Standby for ......''January is a difficult time to do business''

• Like 1

Well, if it's us or them he'd definitely choose them. We'll struggle to sign quality players from the bottom three which was why the forward position should have been priority number 1 last summer. In all likelihood though, Leeds are being played.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Standby for ......''January is a difficult time to do business''

it is. You can't get away from that fact. Teams at the foot of the league (especially those on a budget) struggle to bring in genuine talent full stop...in January...its almost impossible.

"we want you badly, and will pay you handsomely, but if we do go down you'll have to take a 50% cut in wages"...

A loan is perhaps the answer. Ings has been mentioned on here and that's a nice idea, but second choice and squad players are the cover teams need and they wont be allowed

Agree that a loan deal for a decent young striker knocking on the door at a top club would be most likely. Out of the 8 attacking players we have - I’ve genuinely no idea who are the best 4, and Ralph doesn’t either, which leads me to suspect none of them are good enough - which is pretty telling. Think we can all see that Lavia alongside JWP May solve the def mid, and Tino coming back gives better full back options. Cb and gk look good enough. But I’d be surprised if anyone thinks we can cobble together anything other than a championship level attack with what is left. Which is a big problem for a new manager.

• Like 1

Striker, AM, DM (Cover), in that order. 3 signings needed IMO.

We're OK for right backs and left backs (OK left back can be improved upon but we are well stocked), CB is perhaps our strongest position right now (which is what I'm pinning survival on, the partnership flourishing between ABK and Salisu with DCC also contributing) although a fit and firing Tino alongside KWP would strengthen full back no end, and we invested heavily in Bazunu so I think GK is what it is. Defence is our strongest position right now.

In front of them though we need a shield. We have it in Lavia but with his injury issues and JWP out of form, we really need another DM or defensive minded CM to come in short term. However more importantly we need a striker and another AM. Striker is number one, we can't wait for Mara to come good, Adams cannot do it by himself and AA seems to play better in a wider position. AM also needs strengthening as Moi and SArmstrong don't contribute enough, Djenepo is unpredicatable and Edozie is still young. 

• Like 2

Defensively I’m happy, first time in maybe five years I’ve said that.

Our midfield gets walked through on a weekly basis now.

We are in desperate need of a CM, a couple of wingers and a ST.

Realistically I don’t see any of that happening given Djenepo stupidly got offered a new contract and SR have already spent £100m or so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

ST - I look through other teams' strikers and think 'who is surplus to requirements?'

Newcastle are well-stocked with Calum Wilson, Chris Wood and now Alexander Izak. I'd love Calum Wilson, but maybe we could get Chris Wood???? How would you all feel if he came on loan?

I’d feel like we had accepted relegation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would be very happy with Ben Brereton Diaz. He's continued his good form from last season and is currently joint top scorer in the Championship. I think he has the physical attributes to make the step up.

Edited by Disco Stu

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I would be very happy with Ben Brereton Diaz. He's continued his good form from last season and is currently joint top scorer in the Championship. I think he has the physical attributes to make the step up.

Scored a cracker on Tuesday. Works his butt off, probably not the most technicially gifted but knows where the goal is. Trouble is we've had differing success from the Championship with strikers in Adams and AA so it would be a punt. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/blackburn-rovers-vs-sunderland/report/468004

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I wouldn’t touch another Championship striker like Adams and Armstrong who’ve  both struggled to gain traction in the EPL, especially when the risk of relegation is so stark this season. We need to think bigger and better, established at a high level if possible, otherwise what’s the point of another squad filler???

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I wouldn’t touch another Championship striker like Adams and Armstrong who’ve  both struggled to gain traction in the EPL, especially when the risk of relegation is so stark this season. We need to think bigger and better, established at a high level if possible, otherwise what’s the point of another squad filler???

I agree that Bournemouth bloke scored nearly thirty last season I think did not pose much of a threat on Wednesday

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

we shouldn't give up on signing from the championship, but players need to be stand out young talents with attributes fitting of the prem. Not entirely sure Che and AA were players `obviously too good for the championship'. It's always a gamble signing players from anywhere though. Brereton was a decent prospect at Forest, good feet, decent target man and I thought we should be interested. He couldn't score for toffee back then. His game seems to have come together, but he's incredibly one footed, not quick, it amazing in the air, so he'd be a mix of AA and Che. 

47 minutes ago, John B said:

I agree that Bournemouth bloke scored nearly thirty last season I think did not pose much of a threat on Wednesday

Solanki? Yeah, did fuck all. Maybe one of those too good for the championship but not good enough for the prem. Lerma and Cook are the only real talent they have.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chez said:

we shouldn't give up on signing from the championship, but players need to be stand out young talents with attributes fitting of the prem. Not entirely sure Che and AA were players `obviously too good for the championship'. It's always a gamble signing players from anywhere though. Brereton was a decent prospect at Forest, good feet, decent target man and I thought we should be interested. He couldn't score for toffee back then. His game seems to have come together, but he's incredibly one footed, not quick, it amazing in the air, so he'd be a mix of AA and Che. 

I think the emphasis is we should give up on Championship players until such time the overall unit can sustain the risk of a struggling player. We urgently need a proven EPL standard striker, even if it’s a youngster such as Broja.

Both Adams and Armstrong were top scorers in the Championship before we gave them the opportunity in the EPL (in consecutive seasons IIRC), but only Che has just started to show some of the promise expected. AA is a significant work in progress - a luxury when we’re struggling to score IMO, but still a safer bet than Mara at the moment.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

4 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I think the emphasis is we should give up on Championship players until such time the overall unit can sustain the risk of a struggling player. We urgently need a proven EPL standard striker, even if it’s a youngster such as Broja.

Both Adams and Armstrong were top scorers in the Championship before we gave them the opportunity in the EPL (in consecutive seasons IIRC), but only Che has just started to show some of the promise expected. AA is a significant work in progress - a luxury when we’re struggling to score IMO, but still a safer bet than Mara at the moment.

I have no idea why we signed Mara, He wasn’t anything special when i watched him for Bordeaux earlier this year. 
we could have focused on getting a more expensive striker with that spare money

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

I have no idea why we signed Mara, He wasn’t anything special when i watched him for Bordeaux earlier this year. 
we could have focused on getting a more expensive striker with that spare money

I was told "it was a panic signing". 

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

We urgently need a proven EPL standard striker, even if it’s a youngster such as Broja.

yeah, but who meets that criteria, is affordable, will eh allowed to leave and wants to join us? Just saying "we need a guy that score lots of goals" doesn't solve the conundrum. 

Our signing policy was excellent until we got to attackers. We had a couple of willing signings. With a couple of days to go Sports Republic told Semmens to go out and make the signings “ money no object “ within reason of course. Semmens blew the signings by haggling over £4m 🙄.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

13 minutes ago, manji said:

Our signing policy was excellent until we got to attackers. We had a couple of willing signings. With a couple of days to go Sports Republic told Semmens to go out and make the signings “ money no object “ within reason of course. Semmens blew the signings by haggling over £4m 🙄.

Any idea who they were?

2 hours ago, Chez said:

I was told "it was a panic signing". 

I don’t believe that. He was signed the middle of July, it might have been true if it was the end of august. Talented French u21 striker available for about £10m sounds like a relatively low cost one for the future type signing to me

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Gakpo and Delap ?

Can’t Gakpo, he was choosing between us and Leeds decided to stay at PSV. Did city ever want to sell Delap? That was always said to be a loan or nothing. If true it’ll be another totally under the radar signing like the others were. 

14 hours ago, manji said:

32 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Wasn’t Gakpo, or Broja who were the ones we wanted. The money being talked about for Delap was ridiculous, so glad we kept away from that one. 

Thanks both of you for the info

• Like 1