January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

5 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Brightons strikers interest me - are there any names that we would have said “yep, that guy will do a great job for us”? But they’ve not spent mega bucks to assemble a potent strike force have they? Especially in comparison to what we paid for Adams, Armstrong and Mara.

They don't really have any strikers. Trossard, their '10' scores a fair few goals, Gross from midfield chips in from the penalty spot.

Brighton have a much better group of 10's, and a really tidy CM in Mac Allister and Cacedio. I'd say this weekend was a bit of a freak for them, they don't usually score goals and aren't very clinical, so I'm not sure we should be basing our striker recruitment on them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

I fully expect us to try, now Tuchel has gone, but whether he would come now or Chelsea would now let him leave I don't know. He's played quite a bit for Chelsea this season. 

Literally signed a new 6 year contract last month.

That ship has sailed for us (unless he's available again on loan).

5 hours ago, manji said:

Aribo will come good but you just have to see how poor Scottish Football is he will adjust.

Have my doubts. Elyounoussi had better numbers in Scottish football - and he's absolute shite.

For the money, Aribo was a punt worth taking, but looks a fairly mediocre squad player to me. His two goals have rather papered over the fact that as a midfielder he has otherwise contributed fuck all. He doesn't tackle, create, sprint. Doesn't do anything much aside from wander around half heartedly and occasionally get his legs in a slow motion tangle.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

They don't really have any strikers. Trossard, their '10' scores a fair few goals, Gross from midfield chips in from the penalty spot.

Brighton have a much better group of 10's, and a really tidy CM in Mac Allister and Cacedio. I'd say this weekend was a bit of a freak for them, they don't usually score goals and aren't very clinical, so I'm not sure we should be basing our striker recruitment on them.

Because they’re in a position in the table that we should aspire to?  Maybe they’ve not got better players, but they score more goals and win more games, so what should we attribute that to?

14 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Because they’re in a position in the table that we should aspire to?  Maybe they’ve not got better players, but they score more goals and win more games, so what should we attribute that to?

Last season we scored more goals than Brighton.

14 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Last season we scored more goals than Brighton.

Not sure if you’re aware, but last seasons GF and GA don’t carry forward into this season! Oh yes, and they improved they’re squad since last season. Can’t be new manager bounce because they were doing ok anyways.

24 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Not sure if you’re aware, but last seasons GF and GA don’t carry forward into this season! Oh yes, and they improved they’re squad since last season. Can’t be new manager bounce because they were doing ok anyways.

We’ve improved our squad since last season as well btw.  Better GK, much better centre backs and Lavia as well.  I won’t include Mara or Aribo in that list as the juries out on them.  We also didn’t loose any key players, whereas Brighton did

Brighton is a great comparison for us as they do not have a good PL striker either, yet have managed to look so much better a team than us over the last couple of years.  

10 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

We’ve improved our squad since last season as well btw.  Better GK, much better centre backs and Lavia as well.  I won’t include Mara or Aribo in that list as the juries out on them.  We also didn’t loose any key players, whereas Brighton did

Brighton is a great comparison for us as they do not have a good PL striker either, yet have managed to look so much better a team than us over the last couple of years.  

Yes, so I go back to my original point of being interested in what that difference is. To me it looks like the coaching and management rather than the players.

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Yes, so I go back to my original point of being interested in what that difference is. To me it looks like the coaching and management rather than the players.

Ok, obviously missed your earlier point.  Yes agreed it’s coaching and management.  Will be interested to see how Brighton fair longer term without Potter

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I was not ready for this revelation. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Played a winger up front last game and still scored 4, otherwise they generally stick the wily Welbeck up front who has scored 12 league goals in 3 seasons.

On 31/10/2022 at 15:41, Saint Garrett said:

I fully expect us to try, now Tuchel has gone, but whether he would come now or Chelsea would now let him leave I don't know. He's played quite a bit for Chelsea this season. 

hes had a taste of playing for Chelsea and  probably wants more,but has just failed to delivery as yet, so we may not even be on his radar.

Broja had a purple patch from December to late January. Aside from the goal against West Ham in the cup (which I think was a little later) I wouldn't say he provided an awful lot.

The loss (for the team) was that he provided something different to Adams and Armstrong, and that's what made him excitable to fans. In terms of his performances they were very hit and miss.
And the loss for the team now is that we didn't bring a new striker in, so we lack that "something different".

35 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Kyogo Furuashi for January

SNSUN also for January...

january jones breast boobs tits nipple lick kiss GIF

Seriously though, he's nearly 28 although with decent stats. Are we going against our young signings policy? Maybe we've seen we need some experience...

4 minutes ago, Saintscummer said:

I think he could work for us. He is a good finisher and doesn’t get many chances created at Norwich. Reckon he wouldn’t cost much either. 

danger though of buying another championship striker like Che and AA but they are all different 

I’d say that we’re looking very Norwich-like at the moment and ultimately Pukki didn’t manage to save them did he? I don’t think he’s the answer - we’d end up having three Championship level senior strikers who can’t find their feet and still be relegated.

3 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I’d say that we’re looking very Norwich-like at the moment and ultimately Pukki didn’t manage to save them did he? I don’t think he’s the answer - we’d end up having three Championship level senior strikers who can’t find their feet and still be relegated.

True but I honestly believe the rest of our team is better than that Norwich team. Certainly our keeper and defence. 

I think we are a striker away from a mid level team. Hopefully anyway. I like Che but he isn’t a goal scorer, more a Mark Hughes type player. We need a poacher type next to him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Maybe we could get two in. Whoever we get in I hope we get them in as close to the start of the window as possible. Waiting to the last day or close to it will waste even more time. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Saintscummer said:

Would Pukki from Norwich be worth a look at ? I’ll put the hard hat on now …. 

22 goals in 70 premier league appearances for an awful team, 11 goals a season. He's certainly a more reliable option than what we've got, i'm surprised no one picked him up

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Saintscummer said:

Would Pukki from Norwich be worth a look at ? I’ll put the hard hat on now …. 

Get him in, with AA going the other way for the season.

I am curious who the 'nearly signed except for Semmens being tight' strikers were.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

22 goals in 70 premier league appearances for an awful team, 11 goals a season. He's certainly a more reliable option than what we've got, i'm surprised no one picked him up

Your looking at the wrong stats, our scouts look at his defensive contribution and marking at opposition corners, goals are not important in their assessment.

Baddie GIF by Giphy QA

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Saintscummer said:

I think we are a striker away from a mid level team. Hopefully anyway. I like Che but he isn’t a goal scorer, more a Mark Hughes type player. We need a poacher type next to him. 

What makes you think that? IMO, despite some promising games, we are probably in the bottom 5/6 of Keeper, midfield, and forwards. Defence I don’t have a problem with.

DM/CM I think we have the potential to be better than that, and Lavia has buckets of it. AMN is getting better and JWP is a class act. 

Attacking mids and forwards, we are definitely in the bottom 3 of quality, my opinion anyway. 

What makes you think that? IMO, despite some promising games, we are probably in the bottom 5/6 of Keeper, midfield, and forwards. Defence I don’t have a problem with.

DM/CM I think we have the potential to be better than that, and Lavia has buckets of it. AMN is getting better and JWP is a class act. 

Attacking mids and forwards, we are definitely in the bottom 3 of quality, my opinion anyway. 

Agree with most of this, but do wonder whether JWP is a key part of the problem. His highly negative play is either of his own making or because he’s been instructed to be ‘safe’. I tend to think it’s the latter because I’ve noticed that when we’re chasing a game he changes and shows a willingness to attack more, albeit not entirely successfully.  One of the important missing elements of our game is effective link up play from midfield…JWP could be the answer if only he was given the green light to be more positive. IMO of course.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Agree with most of this, but do wonder whether JWP is a key part of the problem. His highly negative play is either of his own making or because he’s been instructed to be ‘safe’. I tend to think it’s the latter because I’ve noticed that when we’re chasing a game he changes and shows a willingness to attack more, albeit not entirely successfully.  One of the important missing elements of our game is effective link up play from midfield…JWP could be the answer if only he was given the green light to be more positive. IMO of course.

A fair point, but I think it's also related to the movement in front of him.  It's not like there are passes forward on and he chooses to go backwards. He goes backwards because of the lack of movement ahead of him.  I think he also needs to play safe at times, as it's when we're just trying to get hold of the ball for a bit. 

There were times against Bournemouth, when they had the majority of the ball, but once we won it back, we simply had to just try and keep it for a bit, it wasn't a case of getting it forward and turning the ball over.

56 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

West Ham United have joined Southampton, Leicester City and Brentford in tracking Brazil winger Tete, 22, who is on loan at Lyon from Shakhtar Donetsk. (Sun)

Tete is the new Promes - we'd all love it, will be linked in every window, but will never happen

On 02/11/2022 at 18:12, SaintsLoyal said:

Kyogo Furuashi for January

He might be 28 come January but if he wants to rekindle his international career he'll probably need to move to a bigger club then Celtic

• Like 2

A fair point, but I think it's also related to the movement in front of him.  It's not like there are passes forward on and he chooses to go backwards. He goes backwards because of the lack of movement ahead of him.  I think he also needs to play safe at times, as it's when we're just trying to get hold of the ball for a bit. 

There were times against Bournemouth, when they had the majority of the ball, but once we won it back, we simply had to just try and keep it for a bit, it wasn't a case of getting it forward and turning the ball over.

Again agree - our front line tends to be very static and flat along the last line of defenders. We don’t move forwards as a group effectively. However, with JWP I don’t think his awareness of what’s around him is particularly keen - even when he’s in acres of space to make a turn and dribble forwards he’ll still favour a backwards or sideways pass. I’m convinced this is why his successful pass stats look so (superficially) high.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
Grammar - MLG’d myself!

59 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Again agree - our front line tends to be very static and flat along the last line of defenders. We don’t move forwards as a group effectively. However, with JWP I don’t think his awareness of what’s around him is particularly keen - even when he’s in acres of space to make a turn and dribble forwards he’ll still favour a backwards or sideways pass. I’m convinced this is why his successful pass stats look so (superficially) high.

He's definitely a "safe" midfielder, but if he had the passing ability of De Bruyne he wouldn't be playing for us.  Personally I think he's just fine, probably not quite at that top level and probably never will be.  But I do think he'd look better in a better side.

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

West Ham United have joined Southampton, Leicester City and Brentford in tracking Brazil winger Tete, 22, who is on loan at Lyon from Shakhtar Donetsk. (Sun)

Read the article though and it rules us out saying not expected to go back for him in January 

2 hours ago, Christophenburg said:

Tete is the new Promes - we'd all love it, will be linked in every window, but will never happen

He might be 28 come January but if he wants to rekindle his international career he'll probably need to move to a bigger club then Celtic

Goztpe it is then.

• Haha 2

On 02/11/2022 at 17:48, FarehamSaintJames said:

Broja had a purple patch from December to late January. Aside from the goal against West Ham in the cup (which I think was a little later) I wouldn't say he provided an awful lot.

The loss (for the team) was that he provided something different to Adams and Armstrong, and that's what made him excitable to fans. In terms of his performances they were very hit and miss.
And the loss for the team now is that we didn't bring a new striker in, so we lack that "something different".

revisionist poppycock. Broja was injured in the first couple of weeks, but he hit the ground running as soon as he got his chance, which was the Leeds game mid October, in which he scored the winner. He was excellent between then and the West Ham FA cup game, which was March 25th. After that he did little. But to suggest he was only good between Dec and end of Jan is bullshit. 

What was exciting to fans was that we had a genuine Premiership striker that offered pace, power, skills...the lot. Opponents genuinely feared him and were troubled by him simply because of his acceleration and ability to take a man on. We had a proper number 9 that gave our side an edge. What we have now is several mediocre forwards that lack any of the key attributes that makes a stand out forward.

We actually brought a new striker in - Mara. So it wasn't the fact we failed to bring a body in, the problem has been that Mara has yet to provide anywhere near the same impact or attributes that Broja brought us. No resigning Broja to another loan was a huge loss. That doesn't mean he couldn't have been replaced, but he hasn't been. 

• Like 4