January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

23 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

4 points worse and 4 places. I don’t think that’s significantly worse. 
What’s worse is the ill feeling and pessimism of some of our ‘fans’

That is significantly worse.

We are four points and five places behind Bournemouth, a newly promoted team who will definitely be in the relegation mix at the end of the season. And we're already tracking behind them despite the millions spent, and we are supposed to be an established side with new investment and new hope.

If anyone had said in August "come the world cup break we'll be second bottom" you'd have called them a ill feeling pessimist, no doubt.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

We are four points and five places behind Bournemouth, a newly promoted team who will definitely be in the relegation mix at the end of the season. And we're already tracking behind them despite the millions spent, and we are supposed to be an established side with new investment and new hope.

If anyone had said in August "come the world cup break we'll be second bottom" you'd have called them a ill feeling pessimist, no doubt.

100%. Can't be many who expected us to be second bottom, second worst goal difference and averaging less than a goal a game at this point in the season. Alarming, and we will have to absolutely transform as a team relative to our fellow strugglers to have a chance to get out of it. At the moment we genuinely look like the second worst team in the league.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Promotion momentum counts for a lot though. It won't be surprising at all if Bournemouth follow up this ok start to the season with an absolutely dire run once they get worked out / lose a bit of their spirit. It's equally usual for an established team like ours to have a poor start and then pull out of it.

That's especially the case given we've signed half a new team who need to gel / get used to first team football. It was always going to be a tough start to the new season but things should improve. Especially if we sign the new striker we were always planning to. If we can stay up this season we'll be in a great position for next year

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

25 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

100%. Can't be many who expected us to be second bottom, second worst goal difference and averaging less than a goal a game at this point in the season. Alarming, and we will have to absolutely transform as a team relative to our fellow strugglers to have a chance to get out of it. At the moment we genuinely look like the second worst team in the league.

We also probably have the second worst squad too. It's no real surprise, apart from we've been known to overachieve vs quality.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Promotion momentum counts for a lot though. It won't be surprising at all if Bournemouth follow up this ok start to the season with an absolutely dire run once they get worked out / lose a bit of their spirit. It's equally usual for an established team like ours to have a poor start and then pull out of it.

That's especially the case given we've signed half a new team who need to gel / get used to first team football. It was always going to be a tough start to the new season but things should improve. Especially if we sign the new striker we were always planning to. If we can stay up this season we'll be in a great position for next year

We have been a poor side in the PL for sometime since last March I think we have won 4 games out of 25 or so

Not sure how this is going to change without a few new PL standard players

1 hour ago, SaintZamboni said:

4 points worse and 4 places. I don’t think that’s significantly worse. 
What’s worse is the ill feeling and pessimism of some of our ‘fans’

If we’d dropped from 6th to 10th and 22 to 18 points you might have a point. When that sort of drop is the difference between staying up and going down and is actually a 25% drop in points tally then that is significant and perhaps some of our fans have every right to be pessimistic. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

The promotion momentum that saw them lose 3 of their first 4 games only scoring in one of them culminating in losing 9-0 and and the manager who got them promotion being sacked you mean?

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Just watch them sink

I agree they aren’t good team And will probably go down  

we’ve got seven league games after the World Cup to get a good number of points plus a transfer window. If things don’t change significantly so will we

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

We also probably have the second worst squad too. It's no real surprise, apart from we've been known to overachieve vs quality.  

IMO its not that we have a terrible squad. Its more that in attack we haven't really got any players of genuine quality or that other teams fear.

Overall we probably have a comparable squad to someone like Palace in many areas but we have nobody anywhere near the level of Zaha and probably not Olise and Eze.

Likewise Brentford haven't got stacks of better players than us but have Toney.

We have a better squad than Bmth and probably similar quality wise to Forest, Leeds, Wolves etc.

I think if we get a couple in Jan in the forward areas who have an immediate impact then we could be ok. If not then we will struggle.

We have played 15 games and only scored twice in 3 of them - getting 7 points from those games.

But we haven't scored twice since the Chelsea game at the end of August.

That IMO is our biggest problem - its so hard to keep clean sheets as the opponents mostly have class attackers. We need to find a way to be more of a goal threat and to do that we need some new players because the likes of A.Armstrong, Elyounoussi, Walcott etc just can't do it.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Just watch them sink

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that.

My point above was that Bournemouth are shit and will be in the relegation mix. And they are above us.

Bournemouth going down doesn't stop us also going down.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Overall we probably have a comparable squad to someone like Palace in many areas but we have nobody anywhere near the level of Zaha and probably not Olise and Eze.

Olise and Eze are comfortably better than anything we've got. As for Zaha, we haven't got anyone fit to lace his boots. The gulf in attacking quality is absolutely stark.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that.

My point above was that Bournemouth are shit and will be in the relegation mix. And they are above us.

Bournemouth going down doesn't stop us also going down.

Helps a little bit though, but you are right, we still need to find two other teams worse than us, assuming they themselves go down. It should be noted that although we won the game at their place, we were so bad and under the cosh that we needed to revert to five at the back and park the bus. We are not a great side, and although we looked a little better at times against Liverpool, there is a lot to improve to get us scoring goals and winning enough games to stay up.

• Like 1

Question. Did we spend the Gakpo money in the last window?

The reports obviously were that we made a sizeable bid, but when that fell through did we use some/all of the cash to fund Edozie, Larios and Carleta-Car moves? They all came in on deadline day. The reports at the time suggested we only found out on the last day of the window that Gakpo was staying at PSV,  but that may not have been the case. Gakpo said afterwards:

“It ended about a week before the end of the transfer window and in that week I had to decide if I would go to Leeds or Southampton” 

I am not sure if that means the dealings and his decision was done and dusted over a week before the window closed or not.

Way I see it last summer window could of been better: 

Not properly replacing  Ings with a similar calibre player was a silly move.

Letting Romeu go I feel also was the wrong move. 

Dress it up you want give the fans words of encouragement. But ultimately we don't have Premier league level strikers. 

Che Adams maybe is progressing but the rest? 

Adam Armstrong massively out of depth should be loaned out. 

We need minimum two attack minded players in come January with experience or actually putting the ball in the net this level. 

Take risks or chances or try to be too clever and it's the Championship..... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Question. Did we spend the Gakpo money in the last window?

The reports obviously were that we made a sizeable bid, but when that fell through did we use some/all of the cash to fund Edozie, Larios and Carleta-Car moves? They all came in on deadline day. The reports at the time suggested we only found out on the last day of the window that Gakpo was staying at PSV,  but that may not have been the case. Gakpo said afterwards:

“It ended about a week before the end of the transfer window and in that week I had to decide if I would go to Leeds or Southampton” 

I am not sure if that means the dealings and his decision was done and dusted over a week before the window closed or not.

If we did spunk the cash that was earmarked for Gazpo on those three players than that is unforgivable. Arguably we didn't need the two lads from City, only Caletta Carr was a sinning thar needed to be made.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ally_uk said:

Way I see it last summer window could of been better: 

Not properly replacing  Ings with a similar calibre player was a silly move.

Letting Romeu go I feel also was the wrong move. 

Dress it up you want give the fans words of encouragement. But ultimately we don't have Premier league level strikers. 

Che Adams maybe is progressing but the rest? 

Adam Armstrong massively out of depth should be loaned out. 

We need minimum two attack minded players in come January with experience or actually putting the ball in the net this level. 

Take risks or chances or try to be too clever and it's the Championship..... 

And the attacker we did signed made a good start but looks miles off being a premier league player...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gammon cheeks said:

We need a striker , winger , and defensive midfielder in my opinion ...no more youth team players please ! 

Striker and attacking midfielder/playmaker early doors in the window. Forget the DM - I think we’re OK there and I’d rather we focus entirely on getting those essential forward positions sorted. If I see us trying to sign a DM or another full-back before securing a better strike force I think I’ll lose it!

4 hours ago, gammon cheeks said:

We need a striker , winger , and defensive midfielder in my opinion ...no more youth team players please ! 

I agree on the positions, but lavia and abk are our two best players in their positions, and possibly our 2 best players full stop. 

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

If we can sign one, assuming the money is still there, and possibly loan an attacking midfielder with the option to buy next summer, I think that would be good business.  Or other way around.

Personally I think we are fine, or good enough anyway, across the rest of the team.

Agree with this, the thing we haven’t done is replace Ings we always look a better team when we have a proper goal scorer it’s been the case since promotion and when we haven’t had a top draw forward we look a bit pants!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gammon cheeks said:

its brilliant having youngsters and seeing them develop and make a close knit team to make the whole Premier League jealous in a couple of years---yes, it's possible! Meantime Lavia 18, and ABK20, are top quality already all we need is a striker that quality

• Like 1

Seems to be a couple of assumptions based on old owners/the summer’s business:

Assumption 1. We won’t sign anyone very experienced. This could be true as most players we sign are primarily for sell on value but perhaps there’s finally a recognition that young talent needs a more experienced (doesn’t have to mean that old) helping hand on the pitch. Plus resale on any players, as well as value of the club might be diminished if we go down and players haven’t got to the point where they show the level that allows for big transfer fees. 

Assumption 2. Most of the money was spent in the last window and we don’t have that much. This is an unknown but if rumours are true that Semmens cocked up in the summer and didn’t sign players SR had approved, we could also assume that the money is still there for us to sign some stronger players. 

As always, the proof will be in the actions the club takes. 

13 hours ago, a1ex2001 said:

Agree with this, the thing we haven’t done is replace Ings we always look a better team when we have a proper goal scorer it’s been the case since promotion and when we haven’t had a top draw forward we look a bit pants!

Tammy Abraham looks like he could be available again.
Can you see us
a) ever splashing out what it would take to get him (or someone of his stature)?  Transfermarket (probably as reliable as wikipedia to be fair) values him at 45m  euros, how much were we spending on Gapko?

b) assuming the cash was  there, would we change the business strategy to sign someone like that?

Personally, I'd put him at the same level Ings was when we signed him, so allowing for transfer inflation since then maybe not out of the question, and surprisingly still only 25 so time to make a profit on him too. And I could see him and Adams forming a decent strike partnership.
Whether it be him or someone else, we need some experience to mix in with the youngsters.  It's all very well giving them game time but how much benefit are they really gaining - particularly the attack minded players - if we are constantly under the cosh. They need an experienced spine not only to help them on machdays but to learn from as well.

Edit: Guess I should add a c) would he or someone like him want to join us at the moment?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

Can you see us
a) ever splashing out what it would take to get him (or someone of his stature)?  Transfermarket (probably as reliable as wikipedia to be fair) values him at 45m  euros, how much were we spending on Gapko?

b) assuming the cash was  there, would we change the business strategy to sign someone like that?

Personally, I'd put him at the same level Ings was when we signed him, so allowing for transfer inflation since then maybe not out of the question, and surprisingly still only 25 so time to make a profit on him too. And I could see him and Adams forming a decent strike partnership.
Whether it be him or someone else, we need some experience to mix in with the youngsters.  It's all very well giving them game time but how much benefit are they really gaining - particularly the attack minded players - if we are constantly under the cosh. They need an experienced spine not only to help them on machdays but to learn from as well.

Edit: Guess I should add a c) would he or someone like him want to join us at the moment?

Tammy wouldn't be a bad acquisition subject to price. However the price (and wages) will probably be above what we can afford - particularly because if he is available there will be bigger fish than saints in the market.

He is not on a par with Ings however. Ings' expected goals conversion rate with saints was above basically any other attacker in the league. When we had him fit we averaged a top 6 points return in a 38game period. With Che Adams, AA, and Ely we're a relegation level team.

More than anything else, we need a striker who can stay fit and clinically converts his chances - it doesn't need to be a bigger name - especially if chasing a flagship signing costs us quality in AM and cover  at CDM.

Edited by Saint86

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

It's all very well giving them game time but how much benefit are they really gaining - particularly the attack minded players - if we are constantly under the cosh.

They need an experienced spine not only to help them on machdays but to learn from as well.

We're not constantly under the cosh. The attack minded young players like Edozie (Mara is the only other youngster) will benefit greatly from playing games no matter how much possession/territory we have. For example. if you only touch the ball a few times, you quickly learn that you have to make the most of those chances - and be right on your game.

Carleta-Car - JWP - Adams is a pretty experienced spine. Only Lavia and Bazunu are first choice.  It's not as though we are dropping 8 or 9 kids into the side. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Can you see us

Yes, if he wants game time. No, if he's one of the guys happy to sit on the bench and laugh all the way to the bank

18 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Yes, if he wants game time. No, if he's one of the guys happy to sit on the bench and laugh all the way to the bank

Really?! He was a top 5 scorer in Serie A last season and is exactly what we need, a good finisher and physical.

Can't see how we can say no that sort of striker from 19th in the leauge...

4 hours ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Which is exactly why we shouldn't have signed him. 

Really? A 19 year old striker who had just bagged 5 goals and an assist at the Toulon Tournament for France U20s, available for a relatively modest fee (for a striker).

I think it was a decent enough piece of business - an investment in a young player of some pedigree. He might not be ready now, but that's no reason why we should've turned our noses up at the opportunity to pick him up.

It's not his fault the board completely bollocksed signing a more experienced striker or two as well.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Which is exactly why we shouldn't have signed him. 

To be fair he hasn’t really had that many decent chances to make an impression .. should probably give him a few games up top with che. 
can’t see him being any worse then AA. And his shooting has looked better then both che and AA from the couple of glimpses I’ve seen 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I can’t see that, he’s played some part in Chelsea’s last nine games in all competitions and started the last two.

I don't think Chelsea rate him, he isn't consistent, blows hot and cold,  mostly cold, occasional flashes isn't enough in premier League

16 minutes ago, Dellman said:

I don't think Chelsea rate him, he isn't consistent, blows hot and cold,  mostly cold, occasional flashes isn't enough in premier League

The only person who actually matters rates him, and that’s the manager. If he’s playing regular first team football at Chelsea he quite simply won’t come here.

4 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Isn’t @manjiconvinced some sort of deal is done for a striker?

Possible ITK 😇🤷🏻‍♂️

To be honest with you everyone knows we are in for a striker and another attacking type player.

It’s not rocket science as we have been lacking badly in that department.

I personally would like Woods from Newcastle who could be a available if the Toons spend big on a striker themselves.

1 hour ago, bangkoksaint said:

What I don’t understand with Mara is when we weren’t scoring and he bangs 4 in for the reserves he still doesn’t get a chance. At that point Ralph had very little to lose.

To be fair though when he did get a chance, against Sheff Wednesday last week he was bloody awful.