January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

55 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I suppose if you spend the money on established players you get better results than throwing money at five year olds.

Who knew 🤷🏻‍♂️

Stands out a mile, but we know the club's policy (although they were prepared to spend £30m on Gakpo having chased his shadow for part of the summer).

Not sure why MLG provides a 'confused' face. Come back and tell us why this confuses you MLG, you know you want to. 

Edited by Badger

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I suppose if you spend the money on established players you get better results than throwing money at five year olds.

Who knew 🤷🏻‍♂️

Aye because its working out well for Forest and has worked out well for the likes of Fulham in the past hasn't it?

Established players, whatever that actually is, means very little if they're not good enough. Some of the five year olds we've signed - Lavia, ABK, Edozie are actually putting some our 'established' players to shame from what we've seen of them. The likes of Broja done pretty well last season too. Its not hard to see that the biggest issue has been the failure to sign a striker and possibly also a creative midfielder in the summer. If we address that in January then we've a good chance of staying up - but they have to be good enough at this level, established or not

• Like 9

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

Aye because its working out well for Forest and has worked out well for the likes of Fulham in the past hasn't it?

Established players, whatever that actually is, means very little if they're not good enough. Some of the five year olds we've signed - Lavia, ABK, Edozie are actually putting some our 'established' players to shame from what we've seen of them. The likes of Broja done pretty well last season too. Its not hard to see that the biggest issue has been the failure to sign a striker and possibly also a creative midfielder in the summer. If we address that in January then we've a good chance of staying up - but they have to be good enough at this level, established or not

It has to be a bit of a balance though doesn't it ? Forest are a bit of an extreme signing 25 players and set to go again in January. That's not a model I'd want to see us follow either. 

Agree with your concluding statement, the players have to be good enough, but good enough to make a difference now, not one for future which was the point Fareham SJ was probably driving at. For the Lavia and ABK, you might want to balnce that with Mara and the 5' Spanish lad, who to date haven't looked up to scratch when their opportunities have arisen. (Mara's sub appearance v Leeds aside that is).

This can cut both ways with experienced players as well, making a difference. As an older bastard I remember most thinking Peter Osgood would see us climb up the table when he signed in 1974, only for him to arrive out of shape, and see us fall deeper in the mire before relegation at the end of the season. 

Our first difficulty is likely to be attracting the players in our position.

Edited by Badger

37 minutes ago, Dusic said:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/23168818.southampton-keen-deal-newcastle-united-midfielder-ryan-fraser/

Early Jan move mentioned here. Seeing as he moved on a free his wages must be ridiculous and at 28 isnt really a player with huge sell on.

Hopefully if he did move for him it would be a loan with an option and not an expensive permanent move.

A loan might not be so bad. 

On another NUFC player I've seen mentioned on here, Wood, I saw an article over the weekend saying he was currently on £100,000 a week there. Even if available on loan, can't see us being in the market for him. 

9 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Im not sure either, surely continuing to sign more inexperienced players like we have been can only get us where we currently are, which is 19th

It’s nothing to do with experience and everything to do with quality. At no point this season have I really seen a team which looked naive, inexperienced and struggling to see out results with poor gamesmanship. We’ve just, quite simply, been crap in front of goal and the worst culprits are Che Adams, with 110 PL apps, Walcott with f**k knows how many, Moi and Armstrong. Hardly kids.

• Like 19

34 minutes ago, Badger said:

It has to be a bit of a balance though doesn't it ? Forest are a bit of an extreme signing 25 players and set to go again in January. That's not a model I'd want to see us follow either. 

Agree with your concluding statement, the players have to be good enough, but good enough to make a difference now, not one for future which was the point Fareham SJ was probably driving at. For the Lavia and ABK, you might want to balnce that with Mara and the 5' Spanish lad, who to date haven't looked up to scratch when their opportunities have arisen. (Mara's sub appearance v Leeds aside that is).

This can cut both ways with experienced players as well, making a difference. As an older bastard I remember most thinking Peter Osgood would see us climb up the table when he signed in 1974, only for him to arrive out of shape, and see us fall deeper in the mire before relegation at the end of the season. 

Our first difficulty is likely to be attracting the players in our position.

100% agree there has to be a balance and why it would probably make sense to target more experienced players in the window, provided they add quality to our squad in key areas.

Tbf I think Mara and Larios were signed for future development, but as a consequence of the failure to sign another striker and injuries at full back, they've both been thrown in at the deep end. They havent diagraced themselves but we need better right now.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Who knew 🤷🏻‍♂️

This is such a bizzare narrative and one that I don't think holds up.... Simply because the "5 year olds" we've signed in recent windows are some of our best players 😅

ABK is in the Germany squad, Livramento was a key first teamer for us until injured, lavia is so good he is Immediatley our best player (imo) and Chelsea liked him so much they bid £55m on deadline day.

Mara hasn't really been given a chance so a question mark on him fine... But Edozie looks decent when played and was a cheap signing, ditto larios. Salisu is also a good example of a quality young player. Whilst bazunu is certainly no worse than forster and macca in recent seasons. 👍

Our issue is we've spent too much money on older squad level players expecting them to be first team quality for a mid table team... They aren't / haven't been, and they have higher wage demands and limited resale value. 

Well actually, the biggest issue is we never replaced ings... But the point is, it is not because we signed a load of good quality youngsters at any rate. 

Ralph had us 13th for xG, if we had signed a class striker/attacker we'd have been even higher in the xG ratings and we certainly wouldn't have been 18th for goals scored when he was sacked. Its a failure by the recruitment team to not sign another promising youngster (gakpo) that's largely responsible for the impending scrap... But the recruitment outside of a quality striker was good 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 15

6 hours ago, Badger said:

Not sure why MLG provides a 'confused' face. Come back and tell us why this confuses you MLG, you know you want to. 

4 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Im not sure either [why confused face is added], surely continuing to sign more inexperienced players like we have been can only get us where we currently are, which is 19th

He has a habit of contributing nothing to my posts apart from adding the confused emoji.
He does the same to others on Twitter under the name FM Saints Researcher, just argues everything, and when he’s called out you don’t hear from him for a while. Goes into hiding. But still pops the emojis in under the radar.

Not sure what kind of thrill he gets from it, seems a little childish. I mean at least engage in footballing debate and chat rather than adding a pointless emoji. It’s way more fun. 👍🏻

It must be a lonely life and an unhealthy obsession to have done this maybe over 40/50+ times in the space of the last six weeks (Gonna wake up now and find he’s furiously removed all the emojis now). 🤦🏻‍♂️

Almost up there with Piers obsession with Cristiano Ronaldo. Flattering I get his attention, but nothing is going to happen between us. So to let you down gently MLG, it’s time to move on. 🤣

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, goodymatt said:

In Matheus news, looks like Wolves are signing Matheus Cunha from Atletico Madrid. Along with 33yo CB Felipe. Cunha looks a decent signing. Patiently waiting for some Saints links that aren’t Ryan Fraser…

That's bottom of the table Wolves signing a Brazil international attacker. Not Ryan Fraser. Buy cheap buy twice Saints.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Badger said:

Stands out a mile, but we know the club's policy (although they were prepared to spend £30m on Gakpo having chased his shadow for part of the summer).

Probably because he is trying to work out which 5 year olds we have signed. If being under 20 is the new 5 it would appear that Gareth Southgate has thrown a 5 year old into the World Cup 😉

• Like 1

He has a habit of contributing nothing to my posts apart from adding the confused emoji.
He does the same to others on Twitter under the name FM Saints Researcher, just argues everything, and when he’s called out you don’t hear from him for a while. Goes into hiding. But still pops the emojis in under the radar.

Not sure what kind of thrill he gets from it, seems a little childish. I mean at least engage in footballing debate and chat rather than adding a pointless emoji. It’s way more fun. 👍🏻

It must be a lonely life and an unhealthy obsession to have done this maybe over 40/50+ times in the space of the last six weeks (Gonna wake up now and find he’s furiously removed all the emojis now). 🤦🏻‍♂️

Almost up there with Piers obsession with Cristiano Ronaldo. Flattering I get his attention, but nothing is going to happen between us. So to let you down gently MLG, it’s time to move on. 🤣

FWIW - MLG liked my post 😎😙 (and thus my saintsweb career is now complete)...

Party Dancing GIF by Florida Georgia Line

Edited by Saint86
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Super_Uwe said:

Have no particular names in mind, but ideally we need to buy the 2023 versions of Chris Marsden, Hassan Kachloul and Marian Pahars in the January window. 

Hope that helps.

Pahars would be a start, is there anyone in the fanbase that wouldn't swap peak Pahars for Armstrong? 🤩🥰😍

What we really need is a Davis or Beattie (if we're sticking to parallels with those days). 

Coincidently, both 20years old when they signed for saints. (Aka 5-6 year olds by this thread's counting 🤪

Edited by Saint86

40 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Can't read any of these articles on Ramos, it hurts too much after Gakpo.

Shows that we know how to pick a relatively unknown player though.

Actually signing them: we need to work on that!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Shows that we know how to pick a relatively unknown player though.

Actually signing them: we need to work on that!

Quite. Weve clearly have the people in place to write an excellent "Ones To Watch" article in a pre-tournament magazine.

Signing players we need: not so great.

42 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I fully expect some club PR fluff to come out after the World Cup, proclaiming our interest in them shows how good our 'scouting' is. 

The truth being the players do not want to come to Saints , this might change if we can string a few wins together under the new coach !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

The truth being the players do not want to come to Saints , this might change if we can string a few wins together under the new coach !

People complain we're not ambitious enough with our transfers but when we try to go big we don't manage to get the players. Catch 22

43 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

People complain we're not ambitious enough with our transfers but when we try to go big we don't manage to get the players. Catch 22

What we can' be sure of is are the players turning us down, or are we not offering enough for the selling club to accept?
If it's the former we really are in a Catch 22 situation, won't come because we're not big enough, can't get big enough without players like that.
If it's the latter then hopefully that window taught us a lesson, if we want a player bad enough then we have to sometimes forget the business model of buy cheap/sell at profit and simply stump up the cash.

1 hour ago, Killers Knee said:

We need to be consistent top 8 before we have dreams of Ramos or Gakpo, no way they'll come to a rainy fascist island to fight for mid-table mediocraty or relegation battles.

What we need, is to be able to pay them the sort of absurd salaries they can get elsewhere. Newcastle have had no problems buying quality despite what was a lowly league position.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Gakpo to Ramos and now read on The ugly inside that we are in for a swap for the Chilean striker at Blackburn with Adam Armstrong going back the other way . Saintsy as fuck !  

I assume that's Diaz. In which case yes please!!