January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

8 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Sell Lavia to Chelsea if they want him. Break the Ings fee record for a new DMC with pace and power. Then break it again for a main striker and £20m on a second one/winger. That’s what needs to happen. Either that or accept relegation and a 3 year plan for automatic promotion. Or loan Wood from Newcastle and spend the second striker money on a quality 10 but still need Gapko-type outlay on a primary striker.

There's no way we can sell Lavia now without pissing off City and messing up the possibility of future transfers from them

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Sell Lavia to Chelsea if they want him. Break the Ings fee record for a new DMC with pace and power. Then break it again for a main striker and £20m on a second one/winger. That’s what needs to happen. Either that or accept relegation and a 3 year plan for automatic promotion. Or loan Wood from Newcastle and spend the second striker money on a quality 10 but still need Gapko-type outlay on a primary striker.

I'd rather sell Ward-Prowse to ever wants him - Lavia is the DMC with pace and power and if JWP is an attractive transfer target as some on here believe, we can fork out for the quality striker and attacking midfielder/winger you talk about.     Definitely not Wood though - better quality than him needed!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Realistically, if we want to have a chance of staying up we need at a minimum (and this is people with quality, not cheap, young crap);

Keeper 

DM

attackers x 2

Its not gonna happen, you’re looking the best part of £100m for that. 

• Like 1

When (if) we go down, who will leave?

Bella Kotchap, KWP, Lavia, possibly Salisu & JWP, a promoted club might take a punt on Adams. 

Kind of sums up where we are, you're only looking at 3-5 players even promoted clubs would want. Probably get about £80m in transfer fees though.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dman said:

Realistically, if we want to have a chance of staying up we need at a minimum (and this is people with quality, not cheap, young crap);

Keeper 

DM

attackers x 2

Its not gonna happen, you’re looking the best part of £100m for that. 

Whose idea was it only to sign YHGTIers? Hopefully it wasn't Ralph at that looks like being a bigger disaster than Pellegrino/Carillo. 

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

He’s just a bellend. He posts the confused emoji on most people.

Spends way too much time playing Football Manager. Probably believes that someone from the Latvian, Sunday league, third division is what we need.

The trouble is, I also fear the club do as well…

• Haha 7

18 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Antonio 18 goal involvements last season, Che had 10.  Antonio is quite dissimilar to Che if you ask me.  

Works out about right, considering Antonio played about 1000 minutes more in a much better side. 

He's no better a finisher than Che, for me. He seems quite happy to ride the bench at West Ham as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, austsaint said:

I'd rather sell Ward-Prowse to ever wants him - Lavia is the DMC with pace and power and if JWP is an attractive transfer target as some on here believe, we can fork out for the quality striker and attacking midfielder/winger you talk about.     Definitely not Wood though - better quality than him needed!

Sadlly think we missed the boat on selling JWP. I'd guess his value is back down to about 30m tops now. Just not quick or strong enough to run a game from defensive midfield, and spending so long in a highly conservative position has pretty much robbed him of any desire to move the ball between the lines.

• Like 5

On 13/12/2022 at 13:15, goodymatt said:

Athletic reporter said on the latest Total Saints Podcast that we are ideally looking to add a striker and a number 10/winger in January. 

A player like Nicolas Jackson at Villarreal might help add some pace and power coming off a wide starting position. He was the guy that ran past four or five of Saints player in the pre-season game. Another young player though, as yet to fulfil his full potential. Not sure that would go down well on here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

A player like Nicolas Jackson at Villarreal might help add some pace and power coming off a wide starting position. He was the guy that ran past four or five of Saints player in the pre-season game. Another young player though, as yet to fulfil his full potential. Not sure that would go down well on here.

I think we need players ready to deliver now to be honest, not sure we have the time to let someone grow into the team.

I can see the attraction of someone like Ryan Fraser, not that it will set the pulses racing.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

Works out about right, considering Antonio played about 1000 minutes more in a much better side. 

He's no better a finisher than Che, for me. He seems quite happy to ride the bench at West Ham as well.

1000 more Premier League minutes, really??

The goal involvements I quoted were Premier League only. 

Evidence that he’s happy to ride the bench??  You could be right but you’re purely guessing here. 

Edited by notnowcato

Squad majorly needs surgery 

Adam Armstrong, Walcot,  Maitland, 

Can all go 

Target man striker that lad at Genk in Paul Onuachu or similar attributes similar to Pelle 

Creative Tadic Number 10 a player who actually is capable of unlocking oppositions back lines. 

The above two players we cannot afford to be clever in our approach. 20 Million each maybe more get it done.....

Our Premiership status depends on getting the above two incomings spot on......

13 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

There's no way we can sell Lavia now without pissing off City and messing up the possibility of future transfers from them

Are we able to sell him to Chelsea or anyone else if we want to though ?If City have a buy-back clause that might prevent us from selling him.

Too soon to tell, but with his injuries to date, selling now might not be too concerning if we reinvest properly.

As for pissing City off, I’d like to think we’ve expanded our scouting network beyond this source which has been a mixed success. 

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

Whose idea was it only to sign YHGTIers? Hopefully it wasn't Ralph at that looks like being a bigger disaster than Pellegrino/Carillo. 

Isn’t this the Semmens way ? Or at least he’s the one that spouts it most now when given the opportunity.

Annoying when you think Brighton signed a bloke for £8m, just played and won a World Cup, and regarded as an outstanding performer at that level. We on the other hand, talk a good game about recruitment.

Unfortunately I think our recruitment dept are better at self publicity (Les, Ross, and it seems those that followed them) than they are bringing the right players in to improve the team.

Edited by Badger
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Killers Knee said:

I suspect we will only be able to sign players from the Championship due to our crap position and form.  What top flight player would join us, knowing there is >60% probability of relegation.  Footballers careers are short enough.

I don’t expect more than £20m being spent

Sad but true. We were a more attractive proposition in the summer, and still couldn’t bring a striker in. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Killers Knee said:

I suspect we will only be able to sign players from the Championship due to our crap position and form.  What top flight player would join us, knowing there is >60% probability of relegation.  Footballers careers are short enough.

Not totally far fetched to say we could be outside of relegation zone, and closer to those above by opening of window. 

Home to Brighton, (win 13/5)

Wolves Everton playing each other

Notts For away Man U (10/1)

West Ham a way to Arssenal (6/1)

Leeds v Man City (19/2)

Bournemouth away to Chelsea (10/1)

Aston villa v Liverpool (18/5)

We are far from doomed yet! 

A confident player will surely think he is able to assist catching up just two points over 2/3 of a season. 

I'm not saying we are staying up but the battle has hardly started. 

Can't believe soamy have written season off so early when it's so close. Not quite the spirit of 20 odd years ago and great escapes! 

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Killers Knee said:

We almost never buy players from other PL teams anyway as they represent terrible value for money. Nobody is going to want to sell anyone half decent. We will sign the players we’ve always signed; youth, Championship and foreign ones.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

We almost never buy players from other PL teams anyway as they represent terrible value for money. Nobody is going to want to sell anyone half decent. We will sign the players we’ve always signed; youth, Championship and foreign ones.

I think you may well be right but we have had some success with recruiting decent PL players too Bertrand Romeu Ings KWP Cork spring to mind

We have been successful in recruiting genuine international players from Scotland such Forster Davis VVD and Wanyama spring to mind

7 hours ago, Badger said:

Are we able to sell him to Chelsea or anyone else if we want to though ?If City have a buy-back clause that might prevent us from selling him.

Too soon to tell, but with his injuries to date, selling now might not be too concerning if we reinvest properly.

As for pissing City off, I’d like to think we’ve expanded our scouting network beyond this source which has been a mixed success. 

No, the buy back clause means they already have a price agreed if they want to buy him back, it does nothing to stop us selling him to someone else. 

Not that I want it to happen anyway as he's currently our best midfielder, ridiculously.

23 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

No, the buy back clause means they already have a price agreed if they want to buy him back, it does nothing to stop us selling him to someone else. 

Not that I want it to happen anyway as he's currently our best midfielder, ridiculously.

Surely if we were to sell him to Chelsea for 15m more than the buy back figure City could trigger it and then pocket the 15m? 

8 hours ago, notnowcato said:

1000 more Premier League minutes, really??

The goal involvements I quoted were Premier League only. 

Evidence that he’s happy to ride the bench??  You could be right but you’re purely guessing here. 

Che Adams league mins in 21-22 - 2,041

Michail Antonio league mins in 21-22 - 2,979

Antonio is on about £100k/week right now, he's always said how much he loves West Ham - it's not evidence, but it's enough to say he's not coming back here.

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Surely if we were to sell him to Chelsea for 15m more than the buy back figure City could trigger it and then pocket the 15m? 

That £15million would get eaten up in contract signing bonus and agent fees, plus you're assuming that Lavia would be ok with being involved in such a sketchy piece of business. 

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I don't think that's how it works.

City have a buy back clause whilst Romeo is still a Saints player.  They can activate until the point he leaves.  

So in your scenario there would be two outcomes:

1. Saints sell to Chelsea at which point the buy back clause ends (as he is no longer a Saints player).  Romeo = Chelsea player

2. City activate the buy back clause before 1. at the agreed price.  Romeo = City player

Or have I totally misunderstood how buy backs work?!

Edit: I see what you are saying now.  2. happens and then City sell to Chelsea....I guess in theory that could happen, but has a lot of complications.  

Edited by Swils
Correction

15 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I think we need players ready to deliver now to be honest, not sure we have the time to let someone grow into the team.

I can see the attraction of someone like Ryan Fraser, not that it will set the pulses racing.

Who says Ryan Fraser will deliver now?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Badger said:

Isn’t this the Semmens way ? Or at least he’s the one that spouts it most now when given the opportunity.

Annoying when you think Brighton signed a bloke for £8m, just played and won a World Cup, and regarded as an outstanding performer at that level. We on the other hand, talk a good game about recruitment.

Unfortunately I think our recruitment dept are better at self publicity (Les, Ross, and it seems those that followed them) than they are bringing the right players in to improve the team.

Semmens also says stuff like the womens team will be as big as the mens. He talks a great game and comes over very polished but doesn't seem to know what he's doing, that's what happens when you get a marketing person run a football club. Lots of talking the talk, not much walking the walk. 

• Like 3

Pretty obvious that this window is going to be massive if we are to have a chance of staying up.

Whoever we sign will be under massive pressure to make a difference so hopefully they are ready for it.

At least one of the new signings has to be a massive success and have an immediate impact.

Others near the bottom will spend (Forest, Bmth, Everton), or already have done (Wolves), so it will be a telling reflection on Sport Republic as the current situation is certainly looking pretty bleak, especially as some of the teams down near the bottom like West Ham are extremely unlikely to go down and those we would want to suck into the fight probably have 3 or 4 points too many to be realistically troubled.

Tick tock, and no Ryan Fraser.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

That £15million would get eaten up in contract signing bonus and agent fees, plus you're assuming that Lavia would be ok with being involved in such a sketchy piece of business. 

Plus he would actually have to sign a contract at a club he knows he wont be playing for, for no benefit to himself.

36 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Semmens also says stuff like the womens team will be as big as the mens. He talks a great game and comes over very polished but doesn't seem to know what he's doing, that's what happens when you get a marketing person run a football club. Lots of talking the talk, not much walking the walk. 

He's doing a good job to see that the men's team is going to reach the stature of the women's team in the English game at the moment.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

1 hour ago, Swils said:

I don't think that's how it works.

City have a buy back clause whilst Romeo is still a Saints player.  They can activate until the point he leaves.  

So in your scenario there would be two outcomes:

1. Saints sell to Chelsea at which point the buy back clause ends (as he is no longer a Saints player).  Romeo = Chelsea player

2. City activate the buy back clause before 1. at the agreed price.  Romeo = City player

Or have I totally misunderstood how buy backs work?!

Edit: I see what you are saying now.  2. happens and then City sell to Chelsea....I guess in theory that could happen, but has a lot of complications.  

Isn't there a limit to the number of teams a player can sign for/be registered with in a single season ?

38 minutes ago, Badger said:

He's doing a good job to see that the men's team is going to reach the stature of the women's team in the English game at the moment.

Maybe that's what he meant, not going to grow the womens team, just get the mens team down to the same level

Man City sold Lavia to us on the assumption they'd be able to buy him back when/if he is ready to play first team football for them. That's a minimum of a season with us, probably two. They won't want him going to a rival, even if they can flip a quick profit. And they won't want to have to buy him back at a premium this soon to prevent us selling him on.

The City talent pipeline is still strong and we'd be mad to cut ourselves off from future deals

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

19 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Sadlly think we missed the boat on selling JWP. I'd guess his value is back down to about 30m tops now. Just not quick or strong enough to run a game from defensive midfield, and spending so long in a highly conservative position has pretty much robbed him of any desire to move the ball between the lines.

Have to agree . He’s the main reason we are so slow . Every pass he makes slows any attack down . 

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

His best lines being it doesn't matter where the club finishes in the league, when it does, the proof was in the summer when good level players didn't want to come to us.

When the fans aren't feeling it, the players aren't. As a season ticket holder, the crowd always starts optimistic, until the players give a reason not to be, which has been going on for six years now.

He doesn't enjoy travelling and watching the poor performances either. Only, he's paid a great deal of money to watch those performances, while we pay a large chunk of our wages to watch those performances.

Then you've just got to hope that it was the departing Crocker who was behind the contracts for Walcott, McCarthy, Stephens and Djenepo, as those four moves were terribly wrong for a club with such limited resources.

• Like 1

Just now, HarvSFC said:

His best lines being it doesn't matter where the club finishes in the league, when it does, the proof was in the summer when good level players didn't want to come to us.

When the fans aren't feeling it, the players aren't. As a season ticket holder, the crowd always starts optimistic, until the players give a reason not to be, which has been going on for six years now.

He doesn't enjoy travelling and watching the poor performances either. Only, he's paid a great deal of money to watch those performances, while we pay a large chunk of our wages to watch those performances.

Then you've just got to hope that it was the departing Crocker who was behind the contracts for Walcott, McCarthy, Stephens and Djenepo, as those four moves were terribly wrong for a club with such limited resources.

I find it odd that the leaders of the club come out with this sort of stuff. Of course we’re all realistic that we won’t be in the champions league place but for the leader of the club to openly say it doesn’t matter where we finish is just odd. No wonder the players can’t be arsed when safety is all but secured if that’s the apathetic attitude coming down from the top. 

13 hours ago, Badger said:

100% 

We talk a good game about recruitment and thankfully for the people leading the football club now, most of our fans lap it up thinking we are amazing.  The proof is in the pudding. We are bottom 3 for a reason. And when you look at the squad, you see the piss poor result of a period of leadership where Semmens has been one of the leaders making the decisions, even when Less and Ross were here. 

Here’s hoping that SR can stop the rot. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, West end Saints said:

Can't believe soamy have written season off so early when it's so close. Not quite the spirit of 20 odd years ago and great escapes! 

I don't knock your positivity, but in those "great escape seasons" we had game changing players and we had players with character. This is the worst all round Saints team i can recall. See below for our squad 20 years ago

No. Pos. Name League FA Cup League Cup Total Discipline
Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Yellow card.svg Red card.svg
1 GK Wales Paul Jones 13+1 0 1+1 0 0 0 14+2 0 0 0
2 DF England Jason Dodd 13+2 0 1+1 0 2 0 16+3 0 1 0
3 DF England Wayne Bridge 34 1 4 0 2 0 40 1 6 0
4 MF England Chris Marsden 30 1 6+1 1 2 1 38+1 3 11 0
5 DF Norway Claus Lundekvam 33 0 6 0 2 0 41 0 0 0
6 DF England Paul Williams 10+2 0 1 0 0 0 11+2 0 3 1
7 MF Russia Andrei Kanchelskis 0+1 0 0 0 0+1 0 0+2 0 0 0
8 MF England Matthew Oakley 28+3 0 7 2 2 0 40 2 2 0
9 FW England James Beattie 35+3 23 7 1 2 0 44+3 24 6 0
10 FW England Kevin Davies 1+8 1 0+4 1 0 0 1+12 2 0 0
11 DF Sweden Michael Svensson 33+1 2 7 1 2 1 42+1 4 5 1
12 MF Sweden Anders Svensson 26+7 2 6+1 2 1 0 33+8 4 3 0
13 GK England Neil Moss 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
14 GK Finland Antti Niemi 25 0 6 0 2 0 33 0 0 0
15 DF England Francis Benali 2 0 2 0 0 0 4 0 1 0
16 MF England Mark Draper 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
17 FW Latvia Marian Pahars 5+4 1 0 0 0+1 0 5+5 1 2 1
18 MF Republic of Ireland Rory Delap 22+2 0 3+1 0 1+1 0 26+4 0 2 0
19 DF England Danny Higginbotham 3+6 0 1 0 0 0 10 0 0 0
DF England Marcus Hall 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
20 MF England David Prutton 9+3 0 0 0 0 0 9+3 0 2 0
MF Morocco Tahar El Khalej 0+1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0
21 FW Norway Jo Tessem 9+18 2 2+5 2 0+1 0 11+24 4 0 0
22 MF Argentina Federico Arias 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
23 MF Wales Arron Davies 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
25 DF England Garry Monk 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0
26 MF Latvia Imants Bleidelis 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
27 GK England Scott Bevan 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
28 GK Northern Ireland Alan Blayney 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
29 MF France Fabrice Fernandes 35+2 3 5+2 0 1 1 41+4 4 4 0
30 FW Australia Scott McDonald 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
32 DF Northern Ireland Chris Baird 1+2 0 1 0 0 0 4 0 1 0
33 DF Scotland Paul Telfer 26+6 0 6 0 1 0 33+6 0 4 0
34 FW Ecuador Agustín Delgado 2+4 1 0 0 1 1 3+4 2 0 0
35 MF Ecuador Cléber Chalá 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
36 FW England Brett Ormerod 22+9 5 5+2 1 1 3 28+11 9 4 0
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

I don't knock your positivity, but in those "great escape seasons" we had game changing players and we had players with character. This is the worst all round Saints team i can recall. See below for our squad 20 years ago

No. Pos. Name League FA Cup League Cup Total Discipline
Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Yellow card.svg Red card.svg
1 GK Wales Paul Jones 13+1 0 1+1 0 0 0 14+2 0 0 0
2 DF England Jason Dodd 13+2 0 1+1 0 2 0 16+3 0 1 0
3 DF England Wayne Bridge 34 1 4 0 2 0 40 1 6 0
4 MF England Chris Marsden 30 1 6+1 1 2 1 38+1 3 11 0
5 DF Norway Claus Lundekvam 33 0 6 0 2 0 41 0 0 0
6 DF England Paul Williams 10+2 0 1 0 0 0 11+2 0 3 1
7 MF Russia Andrei Kanchelskis 0+1 0 0 0 0+1 0 0+2 0 0 0
8 MF England Matthew Oakley 28+3 0 7 2 2 0 40 2 2 0
9 FW England James Beattie 35+3 23 7 1 2 0 44+3 24 6 0
10 FW England Kevin Davies 1+8 1 0+4 1 0 0 1+12 2 0 0
11 DF Sweden Michael Svensson 33+1 2 7 1 2 1 42+1 4 5 1
12 MF Sweden Anders Svensson 26+7 2 6+1 2 1 0 33+8 4 3 0
13 GK England Neil Moss 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
14 GK Finland Antti Niemi 25 0 6 0 2 0 33 0 0 0
15 DF England Francis Benali 2 0 2 0 0 0 4 0 1 0
16 MF England Mark Draper 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
17 FW Latvia Marian Pahars 5+4 1 0 0 0+1 0 5+5 1 2 1
18 MF Republic of Ireland Rory Delap 22+2 0 3+1 0 1+1 0 26+4 0 2 0
19 DF England Danny Higginbotham 3+6 0 1 0 0 0 10 0 0 0
DF England Marcus Hall 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
20 MF England David Prutton 9+3 0 0 0 0 0 9+3 0 2 0
MF Morocco Tahar El Khalej 0+1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0
21 FW Norway Jo Tessem 9+18 2 2+5 2 0+1 0 11+24 4 0 0
22 MF Argentina Federico Arias 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
23 MF Wales Arron Davies 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
25 DF England Garry Monk 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0
26 MF Latvia Imants Bleidelis 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
27 GK England Scott Bevan 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
28 GK Northern Ireland Alan Blayney 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
29 MF France Fabrice Fernandes 35+2 3 5+2 0 1 1 41+4 4 4 0
30 FW Australia Scott McDonald 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
32 DF Northern Ireland Chris Baird 1+2 0 1 0 0 0 4 0 1 0
33 DF Scotland Paul Telfer 26+6 0 6 0 1 0 33+6 0 4 0
34 FW Ecuador Agustín Delgado 2+4 1 0 0 1 1 3+4 2 0 0
35 MF Ecuador Cléber Chalá 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
36 FW England Brett Ormerod 22+9 5 5+2 1 1 3 28+11 9 4 0

We finished 8th that season so not a great comparison.

I could easily see this season being like 98/99 where we sign a striker who fires the goals to keep us up

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer