January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Just now, sadoldgit said:

Yet he agreed personal terms (apparently)?

I thought it was  a case that Benfica didn't want to sell having reached the CL Group stages, and didn't need to having sold Nunez to LIverpool. 

Haven't read anything about agreeing terms or if he was even interested.

I thought Ramos was the first to come to light and seemed a long way off anyway. Never really heard whether he agreed terms or not with the club. It all just seemed like a lot of hot air in the press at the time and in the end nothing happened from it. It just went quiet.

Gakpo was a little different. This came out a couple of days prior to the window closing and seemed almost a guarantee that he was ours.
Supposedly personal terms had been agreed (some journos reported) and it was the transfer fee that was being haggled for. 
In the meantime LVG apparently suggested he wait until after the World Cup for a bigger team. He wasn’t wrong.
Gakpo didn’t need to leave, or have any rush to. So he stayed put.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ally_uk said:

Gakpo or Ramos 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Get back to reality lads we are heading to the Championship not Champions league 

Got more chance of signing Andy Caroll on loan 

Jesus wept! 

I think it's now starting to sink in,probably too late though.

5 hours ago, Killers Knee said:

We need to be consistent top 8 before we have dreams of Ramos or Gakpo, no way they'll come to a rainy fascist island to fight for mid-table mediocraty or relegation battles.

Portugal was under dictatorship until 1974. I know where I'd rather live given the choice and it isn't Portugal. If you want to see some good old fascism in action, go watch a Lazio game or any game in an Eastern European country

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Badger said:

I thought it was  a case that Benfica didn't want to sell having reached the CL Group stages, and didn't need to having sold Nunez to LIverpool. 

Haven't read anything about agreeing terms or if he was even interested.

I thought I had read that Kraft said we had agreed terms with two players (who were both involved in the CL) but both deals collapsed late on leaving no time to bring in anyone else?

I think a lot of it comes down to semantics and most of us not really knowing how the mechanics of a transfer work.

There is clearly a difference between personal terms being agreed (usually done by the agent and could occur with multiple teams) and then a player finally agreeing to move to a particular club. The decision for the latter may not be due to being unhappy with the terms offered, it might be to move to a different/better/bigger club, to decide to wait before leaving a club incase of better future offers or to specifically stay somewhere.

For the kind of players we go for I'm sure financial terms arent that much of an issue. We are usually buying from poorer leagues and often from non-top clubs in those leagues, so financially we are powerful in comparison. Equally we seem quite happy to be open that we will let players leave when bigger clubs come in for them, which is likely a factor for our transfer targets.

That said, the hardest bit is getting someone to actually sign, when likely they have multiple offers and we are nearly always under threat of relegation. Our biggest selling points are i.) Giving players a chance to play first team PL football and ii.) Letting them go once better things are available. 

Sometimes that won't be enough.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I thought I had read that Kraft said we had agreed terms with two players (who were both involved in the CL) but both deals collapsed late on leaving no time to bring in anyone else?

That is what he said.

I have to say Soggy you’re much more tolerable when talking about football than when you’re relentlessly whinging about stuff on the lounge 

Edited by Turkish

I believe we had a strong interest in Woods from Newcastle but he is choosing to go elsewhere if the Toons get a new striker.

Such a shame we never got Gakpo or Ramos but it’s good that our scouts team are recognising the talent out there.

I personally think we will get a championship target player in as we are not an attraction for anyone because of our low league position and the unknown with Nathan Jones.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I believe we had a strong interest in Woods from Newcastle but he is choosing to go elsewhere if the Toons get a new striker.

Such a shame we never got Gakpo or Ramos but it’s good that our scouts team are recognising the talent out there.

I personally think we will get a championship target player in as we are not an attraction for anyone because of our low league position and the unknown with Nathan Jones.

Thanks for cheering me up. 

• Haha 7

19 hours ago, saintant said:

Fascist island - are you serious?

Yeah that comment did make me laugh... It was posted on the same day Germany had nationwide arrests against a far right ex military group plotting to overthrow their government 🤣🤣.

On the personal terms front. All we can go on is what our owners have said - that we agreed personal terms with two strikers playing in champions league qualifiers, and whose teams then qualified. Which basically fits Ramos and Gakpo, of which there was an awful lot of media buzz about us signing them.

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

What on earth are you on about or more to the point what on earth are you on?

Crikey, The lady doth protest too much, methinks.  "The Rainy fascist island" is a well known euphemism used by lefties for the UK.  No need to get your knickers in a bunch.

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=the+rainy+fascist+island

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

It’s an insignificant island in the north sea , only people duped by false stories of milk and honey want to come here !

personally I wouldn’t live anywhere else 😋

I’d have thought it was in the Atlantic rather than the North Sea…..😊

35 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

So you looked at our two pony championship strikers and thought we need another Championship striker

So you don’t think that any Championship players could be successful in the EPL? Makes you wonder why we bothered to sign Rickie Lambert. 

3 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

So you don’t think that any Championship players could be successful in the EPL? Makes you wonder why we bothered to sign Rickie Lambert. 

We signed him as a league one club from another one league one club where he was a proven goalscorer. So your point is irrelevant.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Danbert said:

No it isn't

Course it is, signing a proven league one striker in league one is like signing a proven striker from another premier league club. We aren’t doing that.  Not really sure why you’d think it’s any different to that 

Edited by Turkish

Not based on any statistical evidence but I reckon you get about 1 in 15 stepping up from the Championship and really making it. For every Lambert, Vardy, Toney or J Rod there's a whole raft of players like Armstrong, Sharp, Maupay, Solanke, McBurnie or Deeney who have the odd moment or spell where they might look like they could step but never really accomplish it. I guess you have to either be lucky and/or clever about who you get...

9 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Not based on any statistical evidence but I reckon you get about 1 in 15 stepping up from the Championship and really making it. For every Lambert, Vardy, Toney or J Rod there's a whole raft of players like Armstrong, Sharp, Maupay, Solanke, McBurnie or Deeney who have the odd moment or spell where they might look like they could step but never really accomplish it. I guess you have to either be lucky and/or clever about who you get...

Yes there are not many Ian Rushs out there. I wonder if Ricky would have thrived so well if a Premier League team had taken him from League One? I think the key to his success was that he evolved as Saints evolved from League One, which is why Toney did well. Don't think you are being completely fair to Deeney, his leadership was absolutely crucial to Watford, but then he also arrived in the top division via promotion rather than transfer.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

Yes there are not many Ian Rushs out there. I wonder if Ricky would have thrived so well if a Premier League team had taken him from League One? I think the key to his success was that he evolved as Saints evolved from League One, which is why Toney did well. Don't think you are being completely fair to Deeney, his leadership was absolutely crucial to Watford, but then he also arrived in the top division via promotion rather than transfer.

Agree on Deeney. His premier league goal record is something like 13, 10, 9, 5, 10 in a pretty poor Watford team. That’s not a bad return and better than any striker we’ve had since Pelle.we’ve certainly needed some of his leadership and aggression. 

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, SotonianWill said:

It is, of course we would sign a championship level striker when we are in league one. Dosen't mean we sign a championship level striker when we are in the Prem

Of course it isn’t. He wasn’t an EPL player when we signed him but he became a proven goalscorer and international player when in the EPL. Not all players can make the step up but some do. Just because Armstrong hasn’t (yet) doesn’t mean to say that others can’t or won’t. Given you have the residential WUM on your side now I suggest you leave it 😉.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Of course it isn’t. He wasn’t an EPL player when we signed him but he became a proven goalscorer and international player when in the EPL. Not all players can make the step up but some do. Just because Armstrong hasn’t (yet) doesn’t mean to say that others can’t or won’t. Given you have the residential WUM on your side now I suggest you leave it 😉.

You’re, perhaps unsurprisingly, missing the point. We need a proven goalscorer now. You said “makes you wonder why we signed lambert” we signed lambert when we were in league one, from a league one club as proven league one striker to do a job for us ergo, get us out of league one. He then developed with the team over a period of years. We didn’t sign him from league one into the premier league and he straight away became a quality premier league striker. We need to do now what we did then, sign a striker who can score goals in the league we are in. So yes it would “make you wonder why we signed lambert” if we signed a striker from league one for £1m to score goals to keep us in a league two levels higher

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You’re, perhaps unsurprisingly, missing the point. We need a proven goalscorer now. You said “makes you wonder why we signed lambert” we signed lambert when we were in league one, from a league one club as proven league one striker to do a job for us ergo, get us out of league one. He then developed with the team over a period of years. We didn’t sign him from league one into the premier league and he straight away became a quality premier league striker. We need to do now what we did then, sign a striker who can score goals in the league we are in. So yes it would “make you wonder why we signed lambert” if we signed a striker from league one for £1m to score goals to keep us in a league two levels higher

I would have thought that we would have recruited a proven PL type goal scorer by now if there were any available and they wanted to come to SFC

I just think we are fucked and will be relegated 

6 minutes ago, John B said:

I would have thought that we would have recruited a proven PL type goal scorer by now if there were any available and they wanted to come to SFC

I just think we are fucked and will be relegated 

The problem is most proven premier league strikers are either too old now, or occupied with another club with no chance of moving. Who is there available? Iheanacho, Wood…?  

I thought we were definite for relegation but the more time we have the more I buy into bible basher keeping us up. 

1 minute ago, SotonianWill said:

The problem is most proven premier league strikers are either too old now, or occupied with another club with no chance of moving. Who is there available? Iheanacho, Wood…?  

I thought we were definite for relegation but the more time we have the more I buy into bible basher keeping us up. 

I am certain we will go down, and it will absolutely be justified/deserved

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Lambert was the best striker in League 1, arguably the EFL. The parallel for in the premier league would be going out and signing Haaland. Which obviously is a non starter. Moving from the lambert analogy to just a "proven goalscorer", that is surely something that can only really be said in hindsight - after all, Che and Adam Armstrong both had pretty good scoring records at their respective clubs?  Ultimately though I don't think Saints can afford to go out and buy a proven premier league goalscorer that routinely bags 15goals a season etc. The last one we had was Ings - he cost us £20M because of his injury troubles and lack of game time. It was a gamble by the club really, but it worked out well for all parties and having proven his fitness and form; he was then valued at circa 30M as a 29year old who was intent on seeing out his contract.

What injury prone 29year olds with a short contract should we be going out and spending £25-30M on? Gakpo and Ramos were good targets for Saints - obviously they're now out of our league. But not signing anyone was a huge error. Proven low cost goal scorers were available this summer, perhaps not quite at the Gakpo/Ramos levels of future stardom, but even Openda (£7M from Vitesse/Brugge to Lens) would have been a good addition to saints. A young player that's now averaging a goal every 2 games in Ligue 1 and had a better record than Broja at Vitesse (who he played alongside partially), also been looked at by Leicester. We seemingly had no plan B and went for the moon or bust. 

Maybe we never really had the intention to sign Gakpo/Ramos, and this is just a classic case of looking like they tried to appease the fans. But not signing anyone of the retired level was absolutely schoolboy.

Only saving grace is that if we go down, we've got a great bunch of kids coming through, as well as a decent youngsters in the first team. Although it would be just like saints to lose another golden generation of academy players because we're struggling in the lower leagues.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

30M on? Gakpo and Ramos were good targets for Saints

And these players are proven in a top league in their country and so are good prospects for us. I would much rather this than going to the championship again, the players are overpriced and regularly shite.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Lambert was the best striker in League 1, arguably the EFL. The parallel for in the premier league would be going out and signing Haaland. Which obviously is a non starter. Moving from the lambert analogy to just a "proven goalscorer", that is surely something that can only really be said in hindsight - after all, Che and Adam Armstrong both had pretty good scoring records at their respective clubs?  Ultimately though I don't think Saints can afford to go out and buy a proven premier league goalscorer that routinely bags 15goals a season etc. The last one we had was Ings - he cost us £20M because of his injury troubles and lack of game time. It was a gamble by the club really, but it worked out well for all parties and having proven his fitness and form; he was then valued at circa 30M as a 29year old who was intent on seeing out his contract.

What injury prone 29year olds with a short contract should we be going out and spending £25-30M on? Gakpo and Ramos were good targets for Saints - obviously they're now out of our league. But not signing anyone was a huge error. Proven low cost goal scorers were available this summer, perhaps not quite at the Gakpo/Ramos levels of future stardom, but even Openda (£7M from Vitesse/Brugge to Lens) would have been a good addition to saints. A young player that's now averaging a goal every 2 games in Ligue 1 and had a better record than Broja at Vitesse (who he played alongside partially), also been looked at by Leicester. We seemingly had no plan B and went for the moon or bust. 

Maybe we never really had the intention to sign Gakpo/Ramos, and this is just a classic case of looking like they tried to appease the fans. But not signing anyone of the retired level was absolutely schoolboy.

Only saving grace is that if we go down, we've got a great bunch of kids coming through, as well as a decent youngsters in the first team. Although it would be just like saints to lose another golden generation of academy players because we're struggling in the lower leagues.

I really can’t be arsed to argue about it. If people think signing a league one striker to score goals in league one is exactly the same as signing a league one striker to score goals in the premier league then crack on. 

• Like 1