January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

45 minutes ago, M271 said:

Last February 7 of 11 yesterday started the matches to win at Spurs and draw at Man U. Those not out there yesterday were Forster, Bednarek, Romeu and Brojo. The first 2 can be replaced by McCarthy ( I know! but they are much the same level) and Bella-Kotchup (better than Bednarek imo), that leaves the loss of an effective dm and striker and that is where our priority should be in the January window. In the position we are in I’m not sure it is in the clubs interest to splash the cash but 2 loans of out of favour but proven themselves previously players maybe, I don’t know who that could be mind you!

I don’t think that our other players are in the main as bad as some make out on here but nearly all of them are lacking confidence, energy, organisation and commitment, that will need to improve quickly if we are to haul ourselves up the table and without that any signings won’t work. A team like Southampton has to get 100% out of their players and the team playing better together than the sum of the parts, we have been operating like that in spells in past 2 seasons and currently Fulham, Brighton and Brentford are.

That's very interesting that 7 from yesterday played during that very good spell last February and,as you say, McCarthy could slot in for Forster and ABK is better than Bednarek. So, coached properly and with elite fitness levels in theory we shouldn't be the shambles we are and if we add a striker, get Lavia fit and bring in some cover we should be competing.  Why then are we so far off the pace?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

Doucoure, Everton or would be a start in replacing Romeu. Perhaps not quite our profile but someone who knows the PL and can be effective in the central areas is a must.

to say we’re a bit gappy is an understatement.

as for a striker, what is Mr Ings doing other than warming the Villa bench? A loan wouldn’t be a bad idea.

It is, after all, pretty much shit or busy time and we need to give it a real go.

We are smarter than that 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, saintant said:

That's very interesting that 7 from yesterday played during that very good spell last February and,as you say, McCarthy could slot in for Forster and ABK is better than Bednarek. So, coached properly and with elite fitness levels in theory we shouldn't be the shambles we are and if we add a striker, get Lavia fit and bring in some cover we should be competing.  Why then are we so far off the pace?

I don’t know what happened after the Norwich home win with a strong starting 11 and the West Ham cup match with about 6 changes including Valery and Stephens at cb, Smallbone in midfield and Long up front with A Armstrong. (Broja coming on improved our chances)A few days later we lost 4 0 to Aston Villa and we’ve lost so many since then in a poor way.

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

He is usually pretty credible.

Being objective, Lyanco isn't the answer and was a poor signing.

Salisu is definitely not signing a new contract before the end of the season and quite possibly not after either even if we stay up.

We keep conceding goals and lack leaders so perhaps they will feel its time to cash in on Salisu now and get someone a bit more experienced in.

I went to the Bournemouth and DCC impressed with his leadership,  it was the first time I had heard a Centre half talking since Fonte left. 

Salisu is obviously not going to extend his contract, so needs to be sold ìn the next 2 windows. If he goes , we would need cover so I could see Bednarek coming back as cover, but I am not sure that he would have a good attitude. 

• Like 1

I've watched Tella for Burnley a few times this season. He is quicker and better than anyone else in our current squad. A Armstrong, Elyonoussie, Djenepo aren't in the same class and he is getting his share of goals albeit for the top Championship side. Bring him back and while we are at it Bednarek would be better back here if we have sunk to playing Lyanco. All hands to the pump. The stronger we make the squad this month the better chance we will have.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, derry said:

I've watched Tella for Burnley a few times this season. He is quicker and better than anyone else in our current squad. A Armstrong, Elyonoussie, Djenepo aren't in the same class and he is getting his share of goals albeit for the top Championship side.

I’m a big tella fan. He can cause team’s problems with his pace, the Brighton last season where he was involved in both jwp’s goals a case in point. Our current attacking options are so dire, it really should be a no brainer to recall him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, derry said:

I've watched Tella for Burnley a few times this season. He is quicker and better than anyone else in our current squad. A Armstrong, Elyonoussie, Djenepo aren't in the same class and he is getting his share of goals albeit for the top Championship side. Bring him back and while we are at it Bednarek would be better back here if we have sunk to playing Lyanco. All hands to the pump. The stronger we make the squad this month the better chance we will have.

Bring Tella back. Bednarek can do one

• Like 5

2 hours ago, derry said:

lyanco isn’t a bad footballer, he just isn’t suited to 11-a-side. He runs out of defence like a mad man when he should stay structured as a unit and so leaves a gaping hole in the defence

• Like 1

Yesterday’s gong show wasn’t down to having a relegation standard squad - I don’t think it is. As others have noted, many of the same players were performing at a far higher level until Ralph lost them with his bizarre mix of arrogance, obstinacy and tactical insanity.

We definitely improved the squad in the Summer, although we failed to upgrade in the place that needed it most.

What has sent my head spinning is the utter clusterfuck of a starting lineup that Jones selected yesterday. It’s causing people to write-off players who absolutely have to be part of the solution - because they have been good players and can be again, and because we don’t have either the money or the appeal to bring in real quality.

Here’s the bizarre part. At this point, the person most likely to get Jones to see sense is not the person being well-paid to do it, the clueless Semmens, but his own father-in-law. Wrap your mind around that one. 🤣

• Like 4

Just seen that Naby Keita is out of contract in the summer and will be available at a cut price. If there is any substance to the Lavia rumours then I wouldnt be adverse to selling him for 30m+ if (big if) we could bring in Keita for less than 10m and give us funds to strengthen elsewhere.

As much a talent that Lavia is, his injury record for a kid is pretty poor. Keita has had his injury issues but would bring much needed experience. The problem is, would he want to come to a team bottom of the league. Could maybe do a 6 month loan

6 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Just seen that Naby Keita is out of contract in the summer and will be available at a cut price. If there is any substance to the Lavia rumours then I wouldnt be adverse to selling him for 30m+ if (big if) we could bring in Keita for less than 10m and give us funds to strengthen elsewhere.

As much a talent that Lavia is, his injury record for a kid is pretty poor. Keita has had his injury issues but would bring much needed experience. The problem is, would he want to come to a team bottom of the league. Could maybe do a 6 month loan

He came on as a sub for liverpool in their last game so don't think he's far enough down the pecking order for them to let him go without getting a replacement in first.

Top priorities for me would be:

A defensive midfielder someone who is experienced a leader with a bit of grit and steel about them and can actually pass a football forwards... think Romeu or Wanyama in a similar mould. 

A Striker prefably Ings or Wood or loan that's the calibre we need someone who is proven at this level failing that a bid for that lad at Genk who would give us a focal point. 

Any cash left over then a Creative player to link the midfield. 

Recall Bednerek incase Salisu is off 

Recall Tella to give us another option. 

Sell or offload: 

Lavia if the money is good to turn down take it and reinvest in the top 3 priorities I listed. 

Walcott waste of wages 

Adam Armstrong hopeless at this level..... 

Ely, Djenepo, if a club came in for either I'd get rid both are crap 

That's my plan

Mid table here we come haha 😄 

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

people keep mentioning Chris Wood as a player to bring in....why?

Because as depressing as it is to admit, he's much better than what we currently have available to us.

Plus if we seem intent on playing long ball, we might as well go all-in and activate Burnley mode.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Because as depressing as it is to admit, he's much better than what we currently have available to us.

Plus if we seem intent on playing long ball, we might as well go all-in and activate Burnley mode.

I have as much chance of playing for Saints next month as seeing Wood in a Red and White shirt

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statistik/endendevertraege

Some decent names on there with their contracts expiring in the summer.

Should go all out for Benzema, Depay, Kroos and Gundogan 😂😂

A CB we've been previously linked with is on there - Evan N'Dicka. Maybe we could be moving Salisu and/or Lyanco on.

Previous links Moussa Dembele, Ryan Kent and Ben Brereton also on there

Vitinha guy from braga looks a good shout for the striker.. don’t really wanna go championship but if we do much prefer gyokeres over Dias ..

jesper karlsson looks interesting for the creative player and looks like he has goals in him to and if we can get those two positions sorted then a real physical powerful cm would be nice 

Tonight Tella scored again. Came on as a sub on the hour. Yard inside his own half checked his run to stay onside took the long through ball in his stride, took the first defender out as he cut right goalside across him, then with the other defender and goalkeeper closing him down without breaking stride did a little feint opened the keeper and shot crisply iinto the corner.from about fifteen yards.  17 starts, 3 sub 8 goals 1 assist playing from the wing and coming into the centre when the play is on the other side.

He Isn't the finished article but he could do a job for us He's better than anyone we've got on the books  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, derry said:

Tonight Tella scored again. Came on as a sub on the hour. Yard inside his own half checked his run to stay onside took the long through ball in his stride, took the first defender out as he cut right goalside across him, then with the other defender and goalkeeper closing him down without breaking stride did a little feint opened the keeper and shot crisply iinto the corner.from about fifteen yards.  17 starts, 3 sub 8 goals 1 assist playing from the wing and coming into the centre when the play is on the other side.

He Isn't the finished article but he could do a job for us He's better than anyone we've got on the books  

Right now I'm not sure we can afford to loan out anyone who remotely resembles a footballer so let's recall him.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, derry said:

Him on the left and Edozie on the right for me would be a dangerous combination. Have Adams drop deeper to hold the ball up and lay it off with them two running beyond him but staying within width of the 18 yard box. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Vitinha guy from braga looks a good shout for the striker.. don’t really wanna go championship but if we do much prefer gyokeres over Dias ..

jesper karlsson looks interesting for the creative player and looks like he has goals in him to and if we can get those two positions sorted then a real physical powerful cm would be nice 

Good options no doubt, but why would either want to join us in our league position knowing they’d have other EPL options in the summer ? 

9 hours ago, M271 said:

Last February 7 of 11 yesterday started the matches to win at Spurs and draw at Man U. Those not out there yesterday were Forster, Bednarek, Romeu and Brojo. The first 2 can be replaced by McCarthy ( I know! but they are much the same level) and Bella-Kotchup (better than Bednarek imo), that leaves the loss of an effective dm and striker and that is where our priority should be in the January window. In the position we are in I’m not sure it is in the clubs interest to splash the cash but 2 loans of out of favour but proven themselves previously players maybe, I don’t know who that could be mind you!

I don’t think that our other players are in the main as bad as some make out on here but nearly all of them are lacking confidence, energy, organisation and commitment, that will need to improve quickly if we are to haul ourselves up the table and without that any signings won’t work. A team like Southampton has to get 100% out of their players and the team playing better together than the sum of the parts, we have been operating like that in spells in past 2 seasons and currently Fulham, Brighton and Brentford are.

Main issues with this analogy. 

1.) Hassenhuttle is a far better mananger than Jones. 

2.) we need another ings, and it's going to cost serious money at this point - if one is even available and interested. 

No one is thinking a move to a team bottom of their division is going to be a good move them, lets get Tella back and roll the dice on some of the kids, only a month or so ago Dibling was being touted as the next Big thing, Big enough that Chelsea bought him, i think personally, and this is just my opinion, a club at our level should have a "general" in each area of the pitch, a defensive general, a midfield general, etc, one Senior experienced player, to control good up and coming Youngsters. 

9 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

people keep mentioning Chris Wood as a player to bring in....why?

Because we can’t think of anyone else. Our options are diminishing owing to our shit situation. Be honest if you were a player and Saints came in for you right now I bet you’d think twice. Woods is probably not going to come now I agree but he has experience and knows where the net is. 

33 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Because we can’t think of anyone else. Our options are diminishing owing to our shit situation. Be honest if you were a player and Saints came in for you right now I bet you’d think twice. Woods is probably not going to come now I agree but he has experience and knows where the net is. 

Now? He was never coming ffs

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Him on the left and Edozie on the right for me would be a dangerous combination. Have Adams drop deeper to hold the ball up and lay it off with them two running beyond him but staying within width of the 18 yard box. 

Edozie isn't the answer. He's all tricks and no end result. He made some proper howlers against Brighton. The one where he was in the box, checked on his right foot, then back to his left and blazed it over was appalling football. There was the other one where he completely ignored (or didn't see) Armstrong breaking in space in a dangerous position, but then gave the ball away. You've gotta feel for Jones with decision making like that. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You have to think, we pushed hard trying to buy Liam Delap.  3 goals this season so far (or something).

Imagine that

What was laughable were the people getting proper excited about a kid who couldn't even get off the bench for the England kids team, and had barely had a kick in grown ups football. They plainly had no idea who he was and what he wasn't. Compare that to Broja who'd done it on the international stage and on loan. 

• Like 2

Given our predicament I think we are about to see a flurry of loan signings, probably from lower / obscure overseas leagues. During Jones 10 months at Stoke I think he brought in 12 players address their slide and most of these were loans and frees, alongside a couple of ‘marvellous marquee signings for Stoke’ (his words), like Sam Vokes.  

You would have to be off your nut to join Saints from another Prem side at the moment so guess is that we are going to recall loanees and get players from the Championship to pad out the squad. If we had got a big name ‘caretaker’ type manager in we might have convinced the likes of Wood to spin the wheel but will be very unlikely now. Similarly not sure NJ has the credibility be able to convince promising or established players in France, Holland, Belgium or Germany to move at this point.  If ‘name’ players arrive it will likely be deju vu 2005 with the current equivelent of Saggy’s stalwarts appearing (Rondon, Dele Ali et al., ffs). 

Likelihood is Rasmus innovative hipster project is about to regress to something many of us have seen before, a board having bought into their own hype and tripe regressing to the point of throwing enough shit that some of it sticks. If I was the invisible Dragan, whose dough this is, I’d be writing off a couple of hundred mill in the first half of 2023. That will be on Semmens and Ankersen. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, egg said:

Edozie isn't the answer. He's all tricks and no end result. He made some proper howlers against Brighton. The one where he was in the box, checked on his right foot, then back to his left and blazed it over was appalling football. There was the other one where he completely ignored (or didn't see) Armstrong breaking in space in a dangerous position, but then gave the ball away. You've gotta feel for Jones with decision making like that. 

I'd rather have him there actually creating dangerous situations, as well as winning freekicks round the box and penalties, than one of our multiple attacking midfielders who shits themselves when they get too far forward and just plays it backwards again.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, The Fat Controller said:

Should have broke the bank for Juan Mata- would have been hell of a signing for a leader in the group

we’ve never replaced Steven Davis or Ingsy and it shows 

Yup, Sky showing the league cup final 2017 right now, and looking at that team…

Forster Cedric Stephens Yoshida Bertrand Romeu Davis JWP Tadic Redmond Gabbiadini

Its no wonder we’ve fallen massively, nearly all of those would get in our team now, and some big leaders in Bertrand Romeu Davis Romeu Tadic

• Like 1

I'd say the one BIG selling point we have is that anyone who we do sign will likely come into the team and won't have to fight for their place.

I'm clutching at straws a bit I know. But who knows, maybe someone with a big ego will want to come in and see themselves as being the hero of the club if we stay up.

16 hours ago, saintwbu said:

I wouldn’t expect a wing pair of Edozie and Tella to score many goals but at least it would make defenders think a bit. At the moment we can’t even offer that. 

there would still be no end product from either sadly so ,no it wouldn't make the opposition think ,and besides that they are both lightweight and easily knocked off the ball.

6 hours ago, Roboze said:

No one is thinking a move to a team bottom of their division is going to be a good move them, lets get Tella back and roll the dice on some of the kids, only a month or so ago Dibling was being touted as the next Big thing, Big enough that Chelsea bought him, i think personally, and this is just my opinion, a club at our level should have a "general" in each area of the pitch, a defensive general, a midfield general, etc, one Senior experienced player, to control good up and coming Youngsters. 

Wolves just managed to sign cunha whilst bottom of the league why is it one rule for them and another for us .. I mean people are talking like no one will sign for us ?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Wolves just managed to sign cunha whilst bottom of the league why is it one rule for them and another for us .. I mean people are talking like no one will sign for us ?

Playing for someone who has managed Porto, Spain and Real Madrid, versus someone who has managed Luton and Stoke...

Does this help you understand the difference?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

They haven't actually bought him though. He's on an initial loan with a permanent move it they stay up or something. That's our best option.

9 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Playing for someone who has managed Porto, Spain and Real Madrid, versus someone who has managed Luton and Stoke...

Does this help you understand the difference?

Yep thats exactly why he signed. Nothing to do with the fact that his salary has probably been doubled

• Like 1