January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

4 minutes ago, Roboze said:

what i hate about football these days, is the knee jerk reaction to new players, if they don't light up the stage immediately they get written off, i actually think we have a good young team, we don't have the money to compete at the top of the Prem. maybe it will take a relegation and time to get lose the best out of the squad, it is after all a TEAM game, changing parts of that squad every time it gets a bit shite is hardly conducive to players moral or team spirit...… its nearly 2.00 Christmas morning I am a bit pissed, but those are my thoughts! Merry Christmas all :)

Corrected for you.

Merry Chrimbo!

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Any chance of Villa selling us Ings? 
I fully understand the arguments against, but he would score the goals to keep us up.  Decent partnership with Che as well.

A fit Ings might be considered a guarantee to score goals.

A fit Ings though is by no means guaranteed. 

• Like 2

According to Tanswell in the Athletic, Saints won't spend big in Jan despite being prepared to splaah £30m in the summer on Gakpo.

January window seen as being more difficult and risky etc

Gyokeres unlikely and someone else keen on him.

Loans more likely.

Targetting striker and possibly no 8 with Moi contract running down.

Overall not a very inspiring message. 

20 minutes ago, Dusic said:

According to Tanswell in the Athletic, Saints won't spend big in Jan despite being prepared to splaah £30m in the summer on Gakpo.

Loans more likely.

Such a shit article that. Basically only mentions Gykores and that we aren’t interested.

Siri, show me guaranteed relegation…

🚨 Despite assumptions that Southampton will be willing to break their transfer record in January - after the late summer efforts for Cody Gakpo - such financial clout is not expected this time, with loan deals a solution being considered #saintsfc @TheAthleticFC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Siri, show me guaranteed relegation…

🚨 Despite assumptions that Southampton will be willing to break their transfer record in January - after the late summer efforts for Cody Gakpo - such financial clout is not expected this time, with loan deals a solution being considered #saintsfc @TheAthleticFC

Given transfer prices are normally more in January, the last thing we want to do is advertise any or what money that is available.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Loans more likely.

Limping towards relegation…

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

Loans more likely.

I hate articles like that, they actually say nothing. But it does scream of a club leak to a certain extent to help manage expectations.

It's along the lines of the quotes we get ''we tried to hard to get x, but failed''. The 'January is a difficult month' is a bingo phrase for us. But if that is what we truly think, and we're going to limp on, then we will have to start planning for Millwall and Luton next year as it's done, turn the lights off. A nice homecoming for Jones tbf.

Always treat such articles/messaging from the club with a pinch of salt. Its always strategic. We're hardly going to come out and say we're going to spend big this window as the price tags for any of our targets we'll instantly go up once other clubs get wind. Clubs dont need to sell in Jan and therefore its a sellers market.

Hoping for a few signings early in the window, but thats wishful thinking

46 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I hate articles like that, they actually say nothing. But it does scream of a club leak to a certain extent to help manage expectations.

It's along the lines of the quotes we get ''we tried to hard to get x, but failed''. The 'January is a difficult month' is a bingo phrase for us. But if that is what we truly think, and we're going to limp on, then we will have to start planning for Millwall and Luton next year as it's done, turn the lights off. A nice homecoming for Jones tbf.

Actually, I think it's the lack of a club leak, combined with The Athletic wanting to put out a January window special article for every club that has led to such a shit article. You know it's shit when the opening paragraphs are about last years January loan signing who is nothing to do with us now. The writer hasn't got anything interesting to say but the app wants content. So much fluff it's ridiculous. Club leaks are obvious because all the typical outlets post it, but I doubt you'll find Adam Blackmore talking about Minamino much today.

Edited by Fabrice29

Good tactic from the club. The last thing we want to do is tell everyone we're in for a striker and then every club demanding mega bucks.

Announce we're going cheap and hopefully we'll get a good deal. Some of our fans, particularly on Twitter, are having a meltdown over it. Cretins.

13 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Good tactic from the club.

Announce we're going cheap and hopefully we'll get a good deal. Some of our fans, particularly on Twitter, are having a meltdown over it. Cretins.

Ridiculous isn’t it ? 

I’m saving my meltdown until we’ve lost today, but will hold some in reserve in case we haven’t announced three signings by 5pm on 1st January. 

Just now, Badger said:

Ridiculous isn’t it ? 

I’m saving my meltdown until we’ve lost today, but will hold some in reserve in case we haven’t announced three signings by 5pm on 1st January. 

not improving the squad until 30 Jan will probably have sealed our relegation.

As we look for a striker, wolves have signed 3......

The naivety here sometimes is amazing. The Athletic will have really decent contact with the club’s PR and the messages we read will be shaped by the club.

We wont be spending much this winter despite the clear need for new decent recruits in critical areas. The board and SR (it appears) will believe that Jones can achieve a miracle in getting us out of trouble. 

January is notoriously difficult to land a decent transfer. Nobody wants to sell an asset mid season. Look how difficult it was for Newcastle and they had zillions to spend.

I'm not a fan but someone like Chris Wood on loan is probably the best we can expect.

In reality they could buy Mbappe but without any service even he would struggle.

I reckon recall Tella, loan in Woods, somehow find a decent defensive midfielder and start blooding some youngsters.

Relegation looks likely so plan for a strong bounce back. Doesn't have to be a disaster.

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

Good tactic from the club. The last thing we want to do is tell everyone we're in for a striker and then every club demanding mega bucks.

Don't think it's a state secret to know that we will be looking for a forward. 

34 minutes ago, macca155 said:

January is notoriously difficult to land a decent transfer. Nobody wants to sell an asset mid season. Look how difficult it was for Newcastle and they had zillions to spend.

I'm not a fan but someone like Chris Wood on loan is probably the best we can expect.

In reality they could buy Mbappe but without any service even he would struggle.

I reckon recall Tella, loan in Woods, somehow find a decent defensive midfielder and start blooding some youngsters.

Relegation looks likely so plan for a strong bounce back. Doesn't have to be a disaster.

It would be idiotic to expect relegation. If we win today its conceivable we will end the weekend out of the relegation zone so no relegation is not "likely" by any means. We have a chance to avoid it and need to take that chance by getting in the right players early in the next couple of weeks. Not sure we will though given how we messed up the previous window. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, macca155 said:

January? It’s notoriously difficult for us to land a decent transfer at any time of the year!!

• Like 1

IF this Athletic article has any credence remains to be seen but I suspect the truth will lie somewhere in between loans and 30m signings. 

SR do not strike me as gamblers so not signing at least one, preferably 2 fairly decent attacking players/strikers seems unlikely.

Putting your faith in Adams and Armstrong to score a fair few during the next 6 weeks is worrying. 

Early business vital.

SR do not strike megamblers but without 

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It would be idiotic to expect relegation. If we win today its conceivable we will end the weekend out of the relegation zone so no relegation is not "likely" by any means. We have a chance to avoid it and need to take that chance by getting in the right players early in the next couple of weeks. Not sure we will though given how we messed up the previous window. 

We desperately need a win today on all kinds of levels. However, should we win I hope Sport Republic don’t see any leeway and momentum gained as an opportunity to think they are unique enough to game this critical window. Ever since their cardinal error in the summer we’ve been short of competence and threat up front, I am hoping to see a number of arrivals to give Nathan Jones some genuine options and inject character early in January. 

18 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

We desperately need a win today on all kinds of levels. However, should we win I hope Sport Republic don’t see any leeway and momentum gained as an opportunity to think they are unique enough to game this critical window. Ever since their cardinal error in the summer we’ve been short of competence and threat up front, I am hoping to see a number of arrivals to give Nathan Jones some genuine options and inject character early in January. 

It's also hilarious how many on here were giving our summer window a 9 or a 10. We messed up horrifically by not bringing in a striker and this needs correcting first ASAP. It doesn't node well that Wolves have already moved to improve their squad before the window has even opened. I wish we would do the same. How much of a boost would it be for morale to know that we had a decent striker ready to go for next week? I'd go so far as to see that if we don't have one signed up before mid January then we become favourites for the drop. 

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We need about six or seven new players for us to stay up. That’s experienced players as well, not kids.

But we won’t get that quantity or quality of player(s).

Even if that happened, I think it's too late. By January we'll need wins against the likes of Man Utd, Man CIty, Liverpool etc. to stay up.
Next 3 games were crucial and we've lost today and does anyone honestly expect us to beat Fulham and Forest? We have no goals in the team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We need about six or seven new players for us to stay up. That’s experienced players as well, not kids.

But we won’t get that quantity or quality of player(s).

I'd take CM, AM and Striker. We also need another FB, GK and probably others but I'd take the first 3 for a start.

If SR don't want to get relegated in their first full season then they need to smash this window. Only chance we have, and even then its a slim one unfortunately.

If they don't act quickly then it will be too late. Dramatic but totally accurate.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

Adam Armstrong,  Moussa, Aribo, Maitland Niles , Lyanco, Perraud, Ely,  Bazunu , Walcott 

I'd even chuck in Ward Prowse with the above. 

Are pretty inconsistent and don't really offer much at this level 

I  wouldn't be fussed if we get rid of any of them and rebuild. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Not sure. Even a player available on loan, like Wan Bassaka, that I think would be a good idea, is going to have better options than us. 

More chance of Gok Wan signing, and of as much use to us in our predicament. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Too much work to be done. To stand a sniff of a chance we need two CM's, a GK, a LB, 2 Strikers and a winger.

Not happening.

For me quality cm & striker looks essential. Bring back tella. Make do with perraud/kwp at lb. make do with McCarthy again unless Bazanu shows something in cup games. 

Caicedo (Brighton) was a prime example of what we lack in midfield. Athletic, strong and box to box. He totally controlled midfield today. 

CDM is arguably number 1 position to sign. Then striker, goalkeeper and winger. 

All players we had a whole summer to acquire ffs. 

Edited by Wiggles31
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Finally he appears, like a bear after hibernation he slowly stirs from his cave sensing a new transfer window approaching.

His 20 computers are set up to scrap every football website in the world looking for the word Southampton and transfer. He revisits old notes from the previous 15yrs of research to include previous targets in his search algorithm.

He's our own cheap rip off of Fabrizio Romano, he goes by the moniker superSAINT but really for the month of Jan he's on meth, adderall and uses a colostomy bag, the transfer window is finally here.......

Lets Go Start GIF

• Haha 2