January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, The Fat Controller said:

Should have broke the bank for Juan Mata- would have been hell of a signing for a leader in the group

Dear God…..

Perhaps we should break the bank and go for Ronaldo. We need a striker, he’s looking for a club and he knows where the net is. Would be a hell of a signing. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Wolves just managed to sign cunha whilst bottom of the league why is it one rule for them and another for us .. I mean people are talking like no one will sign for us ?

Because Wolves don't look like going down and have a squad capable of surviving. We're the opposite. 

• Like 1

I may get shot down for this but.....Jonjo Shelvey? Still only 30, massive experience, always gives his all, knows where the goal is and I can't imagine him costing silly money either.

If nothing else, he'd be an incredible asset in The Championship but also I think his grit could be invaluable to staying up.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I may get shot down for this but.....Jonjo Shelvey? Still only 30, massive experience, always gives his all,

always gives his all? Do me a fucking favour. He walks around the pitch. Laziest fucker I have ever seen. He has qualities, but effort certainly ain't one of them. If we are looking for some legs, athleticism and dynamism in the middle, then he's perhaps the worst option you could possibly list. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I may get shot down for this but.....Jonjo Shelvey? Still only 30, massive experience, always gives his all, knows where the goal is and I can't imagine him costing silly money either.

If nothing else, he'd be an incredible asset in The Championship but also I think his grit could be invaluable to staying up.

Like Chez days, he's a lazy sod. Real shame because he can play. I've got a feeling we'll end up with Tom Davies from Everton. Dunno why, but he feels like a Jones type of player. 

Bednarek doesn't improve the starting eleven, he'd just be a returning number to add to the issues. We have two better centre-backs in Salisu and ABK. They aren't the issue. The lack of protection in front of them is, leaving them exposed and the goalkeeper conceding every shot is affecting the clean sheet statistics. Good tactical organisation would also help improve the defence, not bringing back Bednarek. The priorities in the defensive structure has to be the defensive midfield and goalkeeper ahead of the centre-backs, the club focussing on the centre-backs as the issue for conceding so many is too simplistic.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, egg said:

Like Chez days, he's a lazy sod. Real shame because he can play. I've got a feeling we'll end up with Tom Davies from Everton. Dunno why, but he feels like a Jones type of player. 

we were linked with him back in 2020. If we have the same scouts, then the interest (and research) will still be there.  His contract expires in the summer, so decent shout. Could happen. 

12 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

The lack of protection in front of them is, leaving them exposed and the goalkeeper conceding every shot is affecting the clean sheet statistics. Good tactical organisation would also help improve the defence, not bringing back Bednarek. The priorities in the defensive structure has to be the defensive midfield and goalkeeper ahead of the centre-backs, the club focussing on the centre-backs as the issue for conceding so many is too simplistic.

Don't think the keeper is as much of a problem as people are making out, the central defense and lack of protection from a Romeu type player isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, swannymere said:

Don't think the keeper is as much of a problem as people are making out, the central defense and lack of protection from a Romeu type player isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

I actually agree re the keeper. Bazunu or macca should be sufficient given the other gaping issues in our team. Truthfully the defence should be fine, but they have no protection from midfield. We have absolutely no central defensive midfield grit without lavia / romeu. No organisation, no holding man, no one to win and recycle possession. Its a huge huge issue for us and it means the defence are constantly exposed through the middle, or by a 10 spreading play to the flanks with minimal pressure. 

If lavia isn't fit or is leaving, we need to go out and get a proper CDM. Lavia, jwp, and an anchor would be a tasty trip regardless. 

And ffs, go out and sign a goalscorer. 

No excuse for at least one of the above not being in place for forest on the 4th. If that is in doubt then someone needs to go and light a bonfire under the board PDQ. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Chez said:

always gives his all? Do me a fucking favour. He walks around the pitch. Laziest fucker I have ever seen. He has qualities, but effort certainly ain't one of them. If we are looking for some legs, athleticism and dynamism in the middle, then he's perhaps the worst option you could possibly list. 

Thing is, we already have legs, athleticism and all that crap. We need someone who's an absolute wanker on the field and will take no shit from anyone.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Do the cunts really believe this with our track record over the last few seasons ?

Insulting to think the supporters, even gullible ones, are expected to believe it.

A detailed process that led to us getting Maitland-fucking-Niles and Adam Armstrong... 😂

Just now, sfc4prem said:

A detailed process that led to us getting Maitland-fucking-Niles and Adam Armstrong... 😂

..Djenepo, Diallo, the Spanish midget lb, .. and before them Bouffal, Hoedt... 

We've been consistent that's for sure. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I hate those sort of snippets leaked from the club, along the lines of ''everyone internal is comfortable with the current situation'' ''we are relaxed''  etc etc etc.

Nonsense bollocks that may have appeased a few people in the past, but it's wearing thin now.

We have been a well run club in the past, and we did like to broadcast that fact, but there's no getting away that we are currently run pretty terribly and they are trying to make out to supporters that we are still well run. We're not.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I hate those sort of snippets leaked from the club, along the lines of ''everyone internal is comfortable with the current situation'' ''we are relaxed''  etc etc etc.

Nonsense bollocks that may have appeased a few people in the past, but it's wearing thin now.

The ultimate in the arrogance at the top referred to in another thread. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Now? He was never coming ffs

Why would anyone think Chris wood would come to saints… he’s starting for Newcastle, scoring goals and has a great chance of silverware. If anyone thinks he’ll come to us is deluded 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, swannymere said:

The keeper was at fault for Brighton's first and arguably their second. The midfield and centre backs weren't the issue for either. The manager is at fault for playing the keeper though, and he was shit. 

3 hours ago, Roo1976 said:

there would still be no end product from either sadly so ,no it wouldn't make the opposition think ,and besides that they are both lightweight and easily knocked off the ball.

Edozie won a free kick in Prowsey territory, and won a penalty at the weekend - having pace and quick feet does still draw mistakes. At the moment we have players with no pace, quick feet, or end product - so if given the choice i’d take the two players with at least some positive attributes. 

• Like 3

Personally I think it's quite likely that January signings won't make enough of a difference but if we are really going to give it a go then I'd really like to see us go for two strikers-one older and experienced with presence and most of our budget on as good quality a striker as we can afford. We obviously need something more at cm and we need an attacking midfielder and possibly a winger. It seems we want something else in defence but I assume that's a Salisu replacement. 

So really if we do actually want to give it a good go and maybe actually stay up then that's five or maybe even six players required. I don't think we will get anywhere near that amount but that's what it would take imo. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

The keeper was at fault for Brighton's first and arguably their second. The midfield and centre backs weren't the issue for either. The manager is at fault for playing the keeper though, and he was shit. 

I think if you rewatch Diallo’s failure to track Lallana for the first goal you might think differently…..😉

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Anyone had a tenner on us signing one of the centre forward lumps at Luton as our big money ‘marvellous marquee signing’ of the window. Their unjustly enriched board may as well have another Rasmus £15m off sleepwalking Dragan. 

If we do then I'm sending a yuletide log to Rasmus.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

I think if you rewatch Diallo’s failure to track Lallana for the first goal you might think differently…..😉

Tracked or not, it was a powderpuff header by Nivea that should have easily been dealt with by the GK at this level.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Suhari said:

If we do then I'm sending a yuletide log to Rasmus.

That'll learn him. We needed Dyno rod after my brother in law's yuletide log. I've told the missus that he isn't coming next Christmas. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Thing is, we already have legs, athleticism and all that crap. We need someone who's an absolute wanker on the field and will take no shit from anyone.

Would I want the bald twat as a son-in-law? no I fucking wouldn’t. Get the cue ball in to upset a few.

Look at Newcastle, all that dough and who did they get in?

Dan Bird, for his attitude, leadership, desire and mental toughness. That’s what we should be identifying, forget all the stat nonsense, get some real men in. Blokes that you want in the trenches when the muck and bullets are flying. We’ve got enough mincers to play the nice stuff, 3 old pirates together with the youngsters and we’ll stay up no bother. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, swannymere said:

The keeper is throwing in a minimum of a goal a game. That is a disaster and must knock the confidence of the back four.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

The keeper is throwing in a minimum of a goal a game. That is a disaster and must knock the confidence of the back four.

Will also knock his self-belief, decision making etc. 

And if that doesn’t register on the boards radar then this will … it will jeopardise the resale value. 

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Absolute buzzword waffle… If you aren’t going into any transfer window as a detailed process and attempting to minimise risk then you’re failing as a smaller club

It also depends on what metric you’re analysing… our youthful signings from the summer are arguably minimal risk from a cost/sell on POV but failure to have a big enough impact on the pitch has almost certainly been a bigger risk then signing established options

6 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

I'd say the one BIG selling point we have is that anyone who we do sign will likely come into the team and won't have to fight for their place.

I'm clutching at straws a bit I know. But who knows, maybe someone with a big ego will want to come in and see themselves as being the hero of the club if we stay up.

Yeah come and play for us. We are so shit you are GUARANTEED to play no matter how shit you are.

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

I wouldn't mind weghorst and tella from Burnley, and then a good cdm. 

Wasn't Weghorst a bit shit in the Premier League last season? Scored what, 2 goals?

Not sure a decent header and a scuffed shot in the World Cup suddenly means he'd do a job although I guess he's big so would fit into Jones's style.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Tracked or not, it was a powderpuff header by Nivea that should have easily been dealt with by the GK at this level.

True - but if Diallo had gone with him and challenged it might have made a difference. The fact he stood there and watched - literally - Lallana score was not a ringing endorsement of his ability. Hence his being hooked at HT. 

30 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Wasn't Weghorst a bit shit in the Premier League last season? Scored what, 2 goals?

Not sure a decent header and a scuffed shot in the World Cup suddenly means he'd do a job although I guess he's big so would fit into Jones's style.

So was Mitrovic until this season. Weghorst does have a previous track record of a goal every 2 games for Wolfsburg. A big lump goal scorer is what we desperately need. We could do a lot worse than him, but anyway isn't he on a season long loan in Turkey, so not available?

32 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

True - but if Diallo had gone with him and challenged it might have made a difference. The fact he stood there and watched - literally - Lallana score was not a ringing endorsement of his ability. Hence his being hooked at HT. 

Lyanco watched the cross coming in and could have cleaned out Lallana and the ball but did the Southampton press - stood three yards away flatfooted waiting to see what would happen next. Attack the ball you twat you're supposed to be a central defender FFS. We have no idea how to hunt in packs and play in triangles. We need to double bank on the touchlines and close off that route. The full backs need to defend first, the midfielders need to make up the pack and everybody needs to bust a gut to get back so kick the strollers out. It's bloody elementary Nathan so get it done.

• Like 2