January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

10 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Dont need another CB, Definitely don't need another shit CB, no thanks.

hard to argue with that, but have to say that Lyanco is poor,  DCC was terrible last night and if he can't get in our side you have to wonder how he performs in training, Salisu may want to depart, ABK looked like he got a nasty knee injury - I thought cruciate when I first saw it, Bednarek wont want to come back and Stephens, well...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Nowhere near good enough for Everton who are maybe the only team in the league as bad as we are.

At least he'll be good for Nathan Jones horrific long ball tactics from his days at Burnley eh?

Hope this is just clickbait. One thing we don't need is an Everton centre back who they consider surplus to requirements. Gotta be aiming higher than this.

25 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Nowhere near good enough for Everton who are maybe the only team in the league as bad as we are.

At least he'll be good for Nathan Jones horrific long ball tactics from his days at Burnley eh?

He’s better than Lyanco, that’s all you need worry about given the state we are in.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chez said:

He looks a proper player to me. However, I am a sucker for fast forwards that have ball skills and can dribble (Henry Camara is still one of my favourite Saints players) - and they often don't put the ball in the back of the net enough. 

One thing I will say about Moffi, is I did see hi trying to make a few runs on the shoulder of defenders. His team mates never looked for him though, so he was never found. I watch Che and he stands still most of the time, which annoys me, so maybe there is something in there that could help us. I may watch one more game, but boy is it dull.

I looked the other day and it looks like they only have a cup game against unknown opposition and nothing until around the following weekend. If we haven't signed him by then. I agree I found it very strange they weren't looking for him at every opportunity or that he wasn't demanding the ball. Maybe he is a goal area player which we need. Add Beto and we could ditch Adams if he is.

So we’ve gone against our strategy completely in the summer when we spunked 70m on kids to spending money on seasoned pros.

what exactly is the strategy? I know needs must but what an absolute mess of a club. 

all under the pretence of that they’ve got everything under control. Shiseters.

3 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

So we’ve gone against our strategy completely in the summer when we spunked 70m on kids to spending money on seasoned pros.

what exactly is the strategy? I know needs must but what an absolute mess of a club. 

At least bringing in some experience shows acknowledgement that Kids FC is not working. I should imagine NJ is screaming out for some experienced players to try and help our struggling toddlers (who in turn are likely screaming out for an experienced manager to help).

• Like 1

Fuck me, people turning their nose up at Michael Keane. Moves don’t work out for people, doesn’t make them shite. Graham Taylor always said the smaller clubs need to pick up players having a dip. 

He’s a hardened premier league centre half that’s been in relegation battles. May provide some much needed leadership and bottle. He can’t be any worse than Lyanco and can’t try any less  than Salisu has at times. It’s a big fucking yes from me. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fuck me, people turning their nose up at Michael Keane. Moves don’t work out for people, doesn’t make them shite. Graham Taylor always said the smaller clubs need to pick up players having a dip. 

He’s a hardened premier league centre half that’s been in relegation battles. May provide some much needed leadership and bottle. He can’t be any worse than Lyanco and can’t try any less  than Salisu has at times. It’s a big fucking yes from me. 

played 12 times for England as well can’t be too bad. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

We did sign some players with experience including Cabellero, AMN, DCC and Aribo, but paying for a 30 year old feels out of kilter with the `strategy' they talked about. 

43 minutes ago, Chez said:

He looks a proper player to me. However, I am a sucker for fast forwards that have ball skills and can dribble (Henry Camara is still one of my favourite Saints players) - and they often don't put the ball in the back of the net enough. 

One thing I will say about Moffi, is I did see hi trying to make a few runs on the shoulder of defenders. His team mates never looked for him though, so he was never found. I watch Che and he stands still most of the time, which annoys me, so maybe there is something in there that could help us. I may watch one more game, but boy is it dull.

Agree from the YouTube clips Beto looks a better player.  Haven't seen enough of Jackson to have an opinion on him.  Not sure why Beto would want to come here but he'd be my choice. 

Orsic looks a fantastic signing and exactly what we need.. I agree with the poster who said it gives off dusan vibes, looks like he has a hell of a strike on him when cutting in and has already produced at top level in Europe against the likes of Chelsea,spurs and West Ham..this actually looks a signing for a top half side

I’m hoping we play a three up front now Orsic on the left edozie on the right and new striker in the middle.. I’d be happy to drop che personally just don’t think his graft and hold up play offsets him missing big chances every game.

Jackson seems a weird one, looks more of a athletic wide player then a striker and I’m not sure he would be any better then Orsic or edozie there., and doesn’t look like the answer to our striker problems. Not quite sure what we see in him if true 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

We have 12 points from 18 games and are sleepwalking to relegation.

Someone like Michael Keane is what will be on offer in a January window and in some ways wouldn't be awful.

Obviously Everton wouldn't want a loan but on a perm deal for a cheap fee he might be decent. He is 29, has something to prove but in the past has been a decent player and certainly a goal threat. He also clearly needs a move.

Considering its not impossible that all of Salisu, ABK, Lyanco and DCC leave in the summer, and as a minimum two of those four will, Keane would be in theory a very good Championship CB and certainly an improvement on Lyanco for the short term.

Edited by Dusic

9 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

If we did go for Michael Keane and he did sign for us, surely Everton wouldn't be looking to do a deal before we play them next week? The law of ex-players says he'd score against them (although, equally, The Saints Way suggests he'd score 4 own goals in a 4-0 Everton win...).

We could sign their whole squad and somehow we'd still contrive to lose at Goodison. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Stephens would improve us at the moment 

from what I saw of Lyanco and DCC yesterday, I might be forced to agree. Those two were woeful. Every man and his dog has been saying `why isn't NJ starting DCC', and I could not have agreed more, but he had an absolute mare. I've not seen a CB pass the ball to his CB partner so badly, so many times, in one game ever. But for a couple of desperate last challenges those passes could easily have led to a second `gifted' goal.  I hope it was a one off, otherwise we have signed a complete donkey.

Everyone has said CB is our strength, but if ABK is injured, is it really a strength? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Jackson seems a weird one, looks more of a athletic wide player then a striker and I’m not sure he would be any better then Orsic or edozie there., and doesn’t look like the answer to our striker problems. Not quite sure what we see in him if true 

He's played on the left of a three, so not a striker. Jackson appears in the UK press a lot for a guy that has hardly played. It wouldn't surprise me if his agent creates these links to Prem clubs. I'd happily have him though. You can't have too many options in attacking areas. 

5 minutes ago, charliemiller said:

I am not defending the lyanco cock up last night but have just watched it again .

JWP was so determined to pass the ball backwards he pinged it at Lyanco really the ball should have gone forward not to Lyanco because he didnt want it and wasnt positioned to receive it .

Nah, even if jwp shouldn't have passed to him, it was a very simple pass off for Lyanco he just fucked it completely and it was too short and wide, letting forest pounce on it and break. No excuses, it was awful and I haven't been completely against the man until now. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, charliemiller said:

I am not defending the lyanco cock up last night but have just watched it again .

JWP was so determined to pass the ball backwards he pinged it at Lyanco really the ball should have gone forward not to Lyanco because he didnt want it and wasnt positioned to receive it .

Yep, not the first time this season JWP has put our players under pressure with a stupid 'safe' pass backwards when he had an opportunity to play forwards.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wsaint said:

Nah, even if jwp shouldn't have passed to him, it was a very simple pass off for Lyanco he just fucked it completely and it was too short and wide, letting forest pounce on it and break. No excuses, it was awful and I haven't been completely against the man until now. 

I'm not a fan and have said that from day 1, but all CBs make mistakes. Stephens, Bednarek, Salisu... they have all made similar errors to this one at some point. DCC did it in the second half, but got lucky.  Go through the side though and they pretty much all made mistakes, some more costly than others. The first touch of Edozie for example was not up to standard. Aribo just allowing his man to overlap and not track him...the list could on forever. 

• Like 2

Just now, Chez said:

I'm not a fan and have said that from day 1, but all CBs make mistakes. Stephens, Bednarek, Salisu... they have all made similar errors to this one at some point. DCC did it in the second half, but got lucky.  Go through the side though and they pretty much all made mistakes, some more costly than others. The first touch of Edozie for example was not up to standard. Aribo just allowing his man to overlap and not track him...the list could on forever. 

Completely true, I'm not too fond of the whole team to be honest right now 😂 it's amplified for Lyanco because it lead to the only goal of the game, but you're right they've all made mistakes. My point is that to try and shift the fault for the mistake even slightly is wrong. It's a pass any footballer should be making and they should be rightly criticised when they fuck it up.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

Lyanco makes them too often. 

39 minutes ago, Chez said:

from what I saw of Lyanco and DCC yesterday, I might be forced to agree. Those two were woeful. Every man and his dog has been saying `why isn't NJ starting DCC', and I could not have agreed more, but he had an absolute mare. I've not seen a CB pass the ball to his CB partner so badly, so many times, in one game ever. But for a couple of desperate last challenges those passes could easily have led to a second `gifted' goal.  I hope it was a one off, otherwise we have signed a complete donkey.

Everyone has said CB is our strength, but if ABK is injured, is it really a strength? 

I don’t think they have become bad players, it’s the circumstances we find ourselves in, the atmosphere became hostile and toxic last night, I get why that is, but I think they were paralysed with fear. I didn’t like Ralph’s two man midfield, when it went wrong it went badly wrong and left the defenders very exposed. Somehow the midfield had become even more dysfunctional under Jones, there were multiple occasions when there were absolutely no of the midfielders showing for the ball, hence the sideways, backwards and hoof it we saw so often, and also getting caught in possession.

Back to Stephens, he foes have strength of character and probably wouldn’t have been so badly affected by the atmosphere last night, and wouldn’t have been backward in calling the other gutless wimps out.

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

“he can’t be worse than Lyanco” is the lowest bar we’re setting ourselves for absolutely no reason

I think the most generous thing to say, going from the thread Everton fans have on him, is that he divides opinion. 

Take your pick on a spectrum of comments from ‘can be decent when he’s got someone good alongside him’ to ‘get out of my club you absolute disaster’. 

Would definitely be more in the Lyanco/ Bednarek/ Stephens level of risk, rather than an exciting ABK or Salisu type signing. Do we really need another average, error-prone centre half? And one thing that he definitely isn’t is a leader, which is what we need more than anything at the back. 

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/michael-keane.115778/

Edit: Apparently also can’t play as part of a three at the back, which would make it an odd link if we’re planning to persevere with that. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I don’t think they have become bad players, it’s the circumstances we find ourselves in, the atmosphere became hostile and toxic last night, I get why that is, but I think they were paralysed with fear. I didn’t like Ralph’s two man midfield, when it went wrong it went badly wrong and left the defenders very exposed. Somehow the midfield had become even more dysfunctional under Jones, there were multiple occasions when there were absolutely no of the midfielders showing for the ball, hence the sideways, backwards and hoof it we saw so often, and also getting caught in possession.

Back to Stephens, he foes have strength of character and probably wouldn’t have been so badly affected by the atmosphere last night, and wouldn’t have been backward in calling the other gutless wimps out.

None of our centre backs want to play in a back 3/5 apart from Lyanco and he’s not good enough. That’s pretty much it. 

ABK and Salisu were fine in a 2 at the start of the season, and DCC was comfortable there. Now Lavia is back to screen the defence, we should 100% be playing a back 4 with Lavia and JWP in front, it’s really not that difficult. 

3 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

We are 4/1 favourites to sign Ings on skybet :)

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it but they had a journalist on TalkSPORT this morning talking about Everton, apparently they wanted Ings on loan but apparently Villa are only interested in selling.

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

None of our centre backs want to play in a back 3/5 apart from Lyanco and he’s not good enough. That’s pretty much it. 

ABK and Salisu were fine in a 2 at the start of the season, and DCC was comfortable there. Now Lavia is back to screen the defence, we should 100% be playing a back 4 with Lavia and JWP in front, it’s really not that difficult. 

We have to play three central defenders so that we can accommodate Lyanco. Otherwise he might have to be left out of the starting lineup;)

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it but they had a journalist on TalkSPORT this morning talking about Everton, apparently they wanted Ings on loan but apparently Villa are only interested in selling.

I think Everton have FFP concerns.  Not sure they are able to buy Ings.