Saints 1-4 Newcastle - Match Thread

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

36 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Have we had penalty yet this season. I don't remember any in the EPL.

You have to be fouled in the opponent's penalty area for a penalty.                                                                                                        Our lot need a road map to find it!

Elynoussi’s miss in the first half. Cue’s appalling volley. Quality matters. Especially at key moments. Oh for a goal scorer. But yet again Edozie was good when he came on I thought. Not that that matters in Ralph’s mind. Just don’t get it. Hope he goes tonight but he won’t. 

Sourness is right to say unless we show fight we’re going down. The fight comes from a belief in your manager and the selections he makes plus the tactics he employs. That’s why we aren’t showing fight. 

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Perraud’s spirit is a positive in a shower of shit negatives

let me counter that with some other observations of his play.

The chance for Willock just before half time was because he didn't track his runner at all. He just stood there and watched it. The sort of defending that gets you relegated.

The third goal, he completely sells himself and is too slow to even make a challenge leaving us massively short. I'd argue he is being lazy there too.

It was a nice goal and I know people seem to like him on here, but he should be criticised along with many others.

• Like 1

Sourness is right to say unless we show fight we’re going down. The fight comes from a belief in your manager and the selections he makes plus the tactics he employs. That’s why we aren’t showing fight. 

Apparently the positive of this season was despite playing turgid football we didn't concede many. Cue Newcastle scoring 4 from 4 shots on target.

Overall that was horrid. I have no clue what ralph's plan is each week. We certainly have no identity.

Brief period at the end of the first half and beginning of the 2nd where our lack of any kind of finisher cost us the chance to equalise. Given how easily they scored their 4 it likely wouldn't have made any difference.

No clue what Walcott shows in training(maybe they play table football) because he looks lost on an actual football pitch.

I'm utterly fed up of our corner routine. Trot JWp out to swing the ball in. It's so utterly predictable why can't we ocassionally go short. We're not scoring by the let JWP cross it for them to head it clear approach. Equally defensively i hate how we pull everyone back into our own box so evenb if we win the first ball the opposition get a 2nd chance

I decided that I wanted to watch some competitive sport so watched Tonga v Samoa in the RLWC, literally whilst waiting for paint to dry, and avoided footie streams, the BBC coverage of the PL, and the forum. ( Though I gather the latter has been as flakey as the team this afternoon ).

Were we as bad as the scoreline suggests ? Did Theo contribute anything ?

Weird game all said, if you take the emotion out of it for a second we really weren't 1-4 bad. The chances Adams and Elyounoussi had were as good as, if not better, than any of Newcastle's 4 shots.

Adams chance at 0-1 was huge, that moment on the belief just evaporated and it was 0-2 shortly after. Defensibly for all goals it was a shambles, we lost our discipline and pushed up higher which left gaps and runners all over the place. A really half arsed defensive effort to close down and get tight as well, which is totally at odds with everything we are supposedly known for.

Two major problems in this team - A goalkeeper who can't seem to save any shots, and an attack who can't score goals. When your left back is the leading player for shots on target then you have a major, major problem.

The whole place certainly feels stale, so a change of manager is about to happen of that there is no doubt. But I really don't think anyone else is going to get goals from that horrific bunch of 'strikers' we have.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Weird game all said, if you take the emotion out of it for a second we really weren't 1-4 bad. The chances Adams and Elyounoussi had were as good as, if not better, than any of Newcastle's 4 shots.

Adams chance at 0-1 was huge, that moment on the belief just evaporated and it was 0-2 shortly after. Defensibly for all goals it was a shambles, we lost our discipline and pushed up higher which left gaps and runners all over the place. A really half arsed defensive effort to close down and get tight as well, which is totally at odds with everything we are supposedly known for.

Two major problems in this team - A goalkeeper who can't seem to save any shots, and an attack who can't score goals. When your left back is the leading player for shots on target then you have a major, major problem.

The whole place certainly feels stale, so a change of manager is about to happen of that there is no doubt. But I really don't think anyone else is going to get goals from that horrific bunch of 'strikers' we have.

It's far more than just missing chances. We are a team with no purpose, no shape and no identity. We do not look remotely like a well oiled unit where every player knows his role - we look a complete shambles. This is why it is so easy to score against us and why we don't create much.  Ralph should have gone during the summer when his other coaches were shown the door. SR have made a massive error and they may well look back and regret allowing Ralph to carry on.

• Like 2

Thought we were great for 9 seconds in the 1st half until mo arrived. 

Fucking bullshit, the answer to who can replace Ralph that some pricks seem to ask.. is any fucker with a coaching badge! 

Fucking soaked wasted £80 again and still not home, fed up with this shit! 

• Haha 1

Not surprised by the defeat - we're straw-weight up front, slow in midfield and inexperienced in defense.

Have been behind RH since he took over and unsure what another manager could do with that team but there comes a time when a change is needed to try and jolt these players. Has to be now.  

Let's hope for a renewal of ideas and attitude in the winter break and the luckiest of dips in the transfer market - we need it.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-4 Newcastle - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic