Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

27 minutes ago, DT said:

It's hard to tell. Here you go: 

Arm around him. squeeze on his arm, the pat on the chest and the smile on the face all point to Che encouraging him to me. But I suppose if you already have a negative mindset, you will read into that short clip whatever you want. I am very unhappy with Jones appointment, but if this clip shows a player encouraging him after the sh1t he has been/is taking, it can only show that stories of the players "rebelling" against him might not be all true.

Edited by miserableoldgit
Pedantry...
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, miserableoldgit said:

Arm around him. squeeze on his arm, the pat on the chest and the smile on the face all point to Che encouraging him to me. But I suppose if you already have a negative mindset, you will read into that short clip whatever you want. I am very unhappy with Jones appointment, but if this clip shows a player encouraging him after the sh1t he has/is taking, it can only show that stories of the players !rebelling" against him might not be all true.

Good. Reassuring. 

Surely if you're a striker who can't hit a barn door from 5 yards at the moment, with a new arrival who could be put in your place, and with the current manager STILL having faith in you and starting you in his side you're not going to give him a load of stick on the pitch in front of everyone?

If i were Che i'd be king brown nose every day until i started hitting the onion bag.....so i'd be surprised if he was giving him stick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

Out of interest, why would you not give any new man part of the transfer window to bring in reinforcements? I get the argument for a bit of time, but I'm struggling with giving him all of the window, thua no transfer opportunities for any replacement. 

You’re pushing it if you think any replacement will get any say in recruitment. It’ll either be a rushed internal appointment (Selles?), or a protracted negotiation with a Dyche type figure. It would literally mean tearing up our plans and starting again, I just don’t see that happening in 3 weeks or less.

Its really hard to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to analysis of Jones’ start. There’s a lot of legitimate concerns but also a pile on with some complete and utter pony written and broadcast. The hatred towards him is ridiculous & in some numpties eyes he can do no right. (Reminds me of Mrs Thatchers quote that some people seeing her walking on the Thames would shout “see, she can’t even swim”). 

He hasn’t made a great start, but deserves a bit longer imo. 

• Like 2

I don’t know what’s going on between Che and NJ there but it’s the second time Che has been involved in a strange post-match exchange with a manager (the second was with Ralph and Djenepo after the Bournemouth win earlier in the season)

Edited by Maggie May

FFS, its pretty fucking obvious from that clip that Adams is giving Jones some encouragement after an important win (given the context) rather than slagging him off which would be utterly bizarre anyway, especially at that specific moment. Whether the players rate him or not, I'm sure they feel bad that he is getting pelters from the fans partly (at least) because of their own errors, Adams included.

I find some of the chanting against Jones to be pretty classless really. Yes there are massive question marks over him, but the point is valid that he took over a team that was amomgst the very worst of the 92 league clubs in 2022.

IMO he will get a chance to show what difference can be made with a few new signings and after being appointed about 5 games ago then really thats the least he deserves.

If his appointment turns out to be a big error then that error is on Ankersen and the club, not on Jones himself.

Its clear he is an emotional type, which isn't neccessarily a bad thing. I think, as hard as it is, fans should cut him a little slack and see what happens over the next few games. Certainly getting onto him before HT in games we are only a goal down in does nobody any favours. 

I see a team that is short on confidence (no suprise), makes mistakes (as we have for ages) and short on quality (as we all know). Not one that doesn't run or put any effort in. Jones clearly knows there needs to be massive improvement, lets see if he can deliver it. I think our chances at home especially will only be enhanced by being open minded that it might get better rather than booing at the first misplaced pass from a player either short on quality, confidence or both.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 20

Fucking hell you lot are wet wipes.

I don't think any supporter of this club wanted this appointment, However the idiot that started this post along with the idiots who keep contributing to it need to give their heads a wobble. 

Give him time til end of the season it's not his fault he's inherited a pile of shit from the owners now and previous and if we go down then it's what we already deserve. 

Then try wanting an experienced fly by night who comes in saves us and is rewarded with a long term contract ala Hughes.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Saintsfan79 said:

I don't think any supporter of this club wanted this appointment, However the idiot that started this post along with the idiots who keep contributing to it need to give their heads a wobble. 

Give him time til end of the season it's not his fault he's inherited a pile of shit from the owners now and previous and if we go down then it's what we already deserve. 

Then try wanting an experienced fly by night who comes in saves us and is rewarded with a long term contract ala Hughes.

Hughes was a great appointment. Came in, kept us up and was sacked shortly afterwards without much damage done. Exactly what we could do with now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saintsfan79 said:

giphy.gif

19 minutes ago, Dusic said:

FFS, its pretty fucking obvious from that clip that Adams is giving Jones some encouragement after an important win (given the context) rather than slagging him off which would be utterly bizarre anyway, especially at that specific moment. Whether the players rate him or not, I'm sure they feel bad that he is getting pelters from the fans partly (at least) because of their own errors, Adams included.

I find some of the chanting against Jones to be pretty classless really. Yes there are massive question marks over him, but the point is valid that he took over a team that was amomgst the very worst of the 92 league clubs in 2022.

IMO he will get a chance to show what difference can be made with a few new signings and after being appointed about 5 games ago then really thats the least he deserves.

If his appointment turns out to be a big error then that error is on Ankersen and the club, not on Jones himself.

Its clear he is an emotional type, which isn't neccessarily a bad thing. I think, as hard as it is, fans should cut him a little slack and see what happens over the next few games. Certainly getting onto him before HT in games we are only a goal down in does nobody any favours. 

I see a team that is short on confidence (no suprise), makes mistakes (as we have for ages) and short on quality (as we all know). Not one that doesn't run or put any effort in. Jones clearly knows there needs to be massive improvement, lets see if he can deliver it. I think our chances at home especially will only be enhanced by being open minded that it might get better rather than booing at the first misplaced pass from a player either short on quality, confidence or both.

Spot on, some of the fans singing Nathan Jones your tactics are shit were also shouting get it forward when we were passing it around , might as well just get behind the team during the game, boo at the end fair enough 

• Like 2

On 07/01/2023 at 09:26, ally_uk said:

Give him the game today if we lose or no improvement get him gone before more further damage is done. 

Bo Svenson 
Tedesco
Matthias Jaissle

Would be my pick even if we go down give them time to implement a style and identify 👍 

All of the face of it good options, or would have been at the beginning of the season (if they were available then), and might be again. But, big question is, why would they without any experience in this country, be considered better options, and a 'safer pair of hands' than someone from the Championship with a decent track record there ?

This is not about style of football, but whether they or others might save us from the drop. So an immediate impact is required.

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Hughes was a great appointment. Came in, kept us up and was sacked shortly afterwards without much damage done. Exactly what we could do with now. 

Yes, mistake was extending his stay into the next season.

Having said that, he was aided by Swansea falling apart.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Saintsfan79 said:

Seriously time is not on our side that's why whoever came in had to make pretty much an immediate impact be that the new manager bounce not conceding as many goals... Scoring more.. impart a style of play on the team, whatever. He's done none of those things so far, & yes it's not all his fault as he shouldn't have been put in this position in the first place.... But if we haven't picked up any points in the next couple of games and he's shown that he can turn the corner then he needs to go! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DT said:

It's hard to tell. Here you go: 

No sign of any animosity there. In the first pace Adams is smiling before the clip unfolds. To me it looks as though he is congratulating Jones who looks a bit sheepish to receive positive feed back.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Hughes got lucky. He didn't do much at all but his ass was saved by the fact that Swansea pissed away their chance of survival.

• Like 2

I thought we were much improved after half time showing some appetite and fight. Sad to say (as I like the lad) we showed even more urgency after Che went off. They are not a great team but there are some good players there and drive enthusiasm and a clear plan can often compensate for inadequacies. That’s why underdogs win Cup ties. 
I saw a couple of impressive strikers in the Cup highlights. The likes of Windass Sheffield W) and Dobra (Chesterfield) seemed to have the thing we miss-accurate strongly struck shots aimed to avoid the goalie and on target. Surely that’s what we need up front? Must be possible  to find a reasonably priced striker. Sadly whatever their talents, Che or AA  lack the killer shot capacity which is what we need. Remove JMP’s free kicks and we hardly ever score from a tradition ‘shot on target’ over the last two seasons having lost our one decent striker to AV. 

20 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Did we play better or worse after the chants?

Seen a lot of people especially on twitter claiming credit for the fans for the win because they sang some shit for 5 minutes, horseshit 😂 And anyone who thinks that video is Che slagging off the manager is an idiot.

• Like 2

I went to the game yesterday and fans started to shout anti NJ songs after about 15 mins. Tbf, the start wasn’t great. However, the players battled hard for a manager they supposedly don’t like

ive always said that NJ might be the crappest appointment ever but he needs a chance. Ralph was almost an old school manager in so much his playbook dictated the way the whole club played from top to bottom. 

it is going to take any manager months to change things. Yesterday and against Fulham I saw glimpses of how things could work moving forward. Just going to take patience. 

• Like 1

I don’t know who would be a right fit at the moment.

Either the cheap option which we appear to have taken, and I would have gone for Joey Barton if that is the experiment.

Or an expensive top flight English or Foreign manager.

Either way, I am struggling to think of a decent replacement for Ralph or the inevitable NJ at the moment. 

Just no to Smith, Lampard or any of the other manager of that ilk. I want to know what happened to the name on the piece of paper in the bottom draw for the next manager that we supposedly had.

I do know the first thing I would do is bring back Nicola. This would not be happening under his watch.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, saintant said:

Hughes got lucky. He didn't do much at all but his ass was saved by the fact that Swansea pissed away their chance of survival.

Don't care if he was lucky. He did what he was brought into do and was an undeniable success. Probably shouldn't have been given a contract at the end of the season though. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Don't care if he was lucky. He did what he was brought into do and was an undeniable success. Probably shouldn't have been given a contract at the end of the season though. 

That's the point though - he got lucky and was rewarded with a contract. Had we played well and escaped the drop then fair enough but we didn't.

Just now, saintant said:

That's the point though - he got lucky and was rewarded with a contract. Had we played well and escaped the drop then fair enough but we didn't.

We still had to get points though, and we did - including winning at Swansea, something I very much doubt we could achieve right now

6 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I think had the fixtures not been against perceived clubs that we should be performing better against, Jones would have got more slack. The fact that we were absolutely appealing against Brighton and Forest has done him no favours at all. 

Absolutely. No shots on target and the manner of the defeat against Forest at home is absolutely one of the reasons people want him gone now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, saintant said:

We may have got lucky but Hughes did a decent job in putting us in a position to take advantage. It’s the sort of appointment we need right now IMO.

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I think had the fixtures not been against perceived clubs that we should be performing better against, Jones would have got more slack. The fact that we were absolutely appalling against Brighton and Forest has done him no favours at all. 

And Lincoln. That setup was awful.

29 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Mark Hughes pre-empted Sports Republic by preparing for the 18-19 season doing 3 at the back and winning fuck all, so I guess he would fit right in here.

A genuinely competent managerial return candidate would be Claude Puel. If you lot are going to talk bollocks, so can I.

No one wants Hughes in charge now. Doesn't change the fact that he did a good job at the time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saintant said:

No sign of any animosity there. In the first pace Adams is smiling before the clip unfolds. To me it looks as though he is congratulating Jones who looks a bit sheepish to receive positive feed back.

Ok cool. All looked a bit odd I thought

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Not really any difference to saints. I don't care what the manager does if it gets us results. Whatever he did worked. 

I partially agree though there's an argument Swansea played more of a part in that Hughes. I didn't expect us to stay up that year. The only mistake was in extending his contract after we stayed up (at the time I remember saying he'd earned a chance). Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The thing which breaks my heart is we're talking wistfully about Hughes as manager which is a reflection of where the club is right now.

3 minutes ago, coalman said:

I partially agree though there's an argument Swansea played more of a part in that Hughes. I didn't expect us to stay up that year. The only mistake was in extending his contract after we stayed up (at the time I remember saying he'd earned a chance). Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The thing which breaks my heart is we're talking wistfully about Hughes as manager which is a reflection of where the club is right now.

Think we can all agree with that! If we do go down this year it will be as much to do with getting this latest wrong as it is keeping Ralph too long. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!