Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

We’ll agree to differ on that one. 

We'll have to. Gao needed to sell. SR ponied up the money. If anyone is to blame it's Gao, but in truth, SR talked a good game but just seem like chancers having a crack at the football business. 

2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Currently on a splendid cruise at the moment so I have no idea what’s going on.

To think we offered the job to Eddie Howe but Semmens pulled it because Ralph won two games and drew one. He thought we had turned a corner. Even some of our fans thought Howe was a big step back. Ha ha ha what a fuck up.

Yep this is true. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

We'll have to. Gao needed to sell. SR ponied up the money. If anyone is to blame it's Gao, but in truth, SR talked a good game but just seem like chancers having a crack at the football business. 

SR we’re hand picked by Semmens. 

Naturally, we don’t know the quality of the other buyers, but it seems a touch fishy the CEO picked the new buyers and stays in a job… 

Either way, both are stinking the place out the minute. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

why on earth will they give a manager more seasons when we will likely being appalling for over half a season?

No chance

Why would they appoint a manager with no premiership/top flight experience if they desperately wanted to stay up?

Just now, Dragon_man said:

Why would they appoint a manager with no premiership/top flight experience if they desperately wanted to stay up?

Because Rasmus Ankerson thinks he can re-invent football with his quirky, hipster ways of working. 

It turns out you can’t. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dragon_man said:

Are you suggesting they do not desperately want us to stay up?

They will lose a fortune, and the central club to their weird ambition of a mult-club business plan will take a massive dent

16 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You’re kidding right? Parachute payments are just there to try and mitigate the huge drop in revenue incurred from relegation and offset some of the disproportionately high wages. It’s not some bonus we get to cash in on, most of that will be gone on high earners we can’t offload.

There is nothing financially good about going down and I can’t imagine it’s part of some long term strategy either. We were a point from safety when SR pulled the trigger, an absolutely bat sh*t time to throw in the towel and bring in a ‘long term prospect to hopefully get promoted’ manager. 

Not kidding at all.

Agree 'batsh*t time to ...' but do you think they said to NJ 'if we go down you get sacked'. And if they did, do you think NJ would accept the job? (given his stability at Luton and outside chance of promotion. Nope.

If/When we go down, NJ blames the squad (with some validity) and gets another season at promotion. Zero chance of new manager for next season, stay up or go down.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The idea that Nathan Jones has somehow earned the right to a "few windows" is the only laughable thing about this post......"and if we go down, so be it". Seriously, what the fuck? 

Jones was recruited to keep. us. up. 

That's the brief. That's it.

Not "have his own team in place for a few windows and if we go down so be it". Just utter garbage.

If we go down he's sacked. If he goes on like this he won't make Pancake Day.

There ain't no long term project happening right now. 

Of course he was recruited to keep us up, but jesus the sense of entitlement on here after 1 PL game is embarrassing. Theres people on here who think that because we've been in the PL for the past 10 years that its a given right now. For a club of our size and stature, fighting relegation is exactly where we ought to be. The club have brought in who they think is best, not just for now but for the future, and we have to trust their judgement.

Its not about whether hes earned the right or not, any new manager needs backed to bring in the players he thinks he needs. The alternative is we keep sacking managers after a few bad results, without the chance to build a team and see where that gets us - hows Watford doing by the way?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Of course he was recruited to keep us up, but jesus the sense of entitlement on here after 1 PL game is embarrassing. Theres people on here who think that because we've been in the PL for the past 10 years that its a given right now. For a club of our size and stature, fighting relegation is exactly where we ought to be. The club have brought in who they think is best, not just for now but for the future, and we have to trust their judgement.

Its not about whether hes earned the right or not, any new manager needs backed to bring in the players he thinks he needs. The alternative is we keep sacking managers after a few bad results, without the chance to build a team and see where that gets us - hows Watford doing by the way?

Zero ambition......thanks woodsaint1

3 hours ago, imadirtyurchin said:

I think the thing that struck me today. Forget the performance and result - Nathan Jones came across in his post match interview like he was in the middle of a 5 match losing streak. No confidence, defensive and fraught looking. It spoke volumes.

He looked distraught. It’s only been two games 😲

Surely jones wasn’t our first option?? Because there is nothing in his history about his style of play that aligns itself to premier league football and by all accounts he’s on a very good contract. 
just seems a completely bizarre decision by the board, unless they actually believe staying up is in all probability unlikely and they’re already accepting our fate.

if lavia goes, jwp chucksvin a transfer request and the January window doesn’t pull up trees I think the clubs already anticipating relegation.

But sports republic looking like a bunch of amateurs. Feel sorry for jones, impossible job although he’ll get a decent pay off when it comes.

51 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

He was recruited to keep us up. The fan base didn't want him then, don't want him now and if he fails to keep us up the fanbase atmosphere will be toxic.

There is no scenario where he gets to "rebuild the club" or whatever if he takes us down. He will be hounded out, he will go. 

It's not about "entitlement", Spoets Republic have been talking a bloody good game, not about staying up but about building for the top half. It's them saying that, not me. Them. Have a pop at them with your "entitlement" pomposity.

And we stick with a manager for four years and all of a sudden we are Watford. Ok mate, okay then.

Edited by CB Fry

6 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Jesus christ, you can see already he is well out of his depth...Brighton look like Barcelona on acid.

Jones' CV is very poor and we have promoted him well beyond what he deserves.

He will not be our manager next season and kind of hope Sports Republic (who are horrific owners) would do a Watford - the football is terrible - Hoooooooof

Agreed! Bad choice. It was a cheap choice, portrayed as being "daring". F**k off. It's a sh*t, cheap choice.  Sorry Nathan and family - seems like a nice guy, but this isn't going to work out, probation should be ended early.  

After 5 weeks of having (nearly) the entire team to yourself to shape and drill, the last two matches show it won't work. 

• Like 4

I’m not one for getting too negative and will always support the team that is out there representing us but I am very worried about what I saw today.

I have been happy to give Jones a chance, with him, the hope was that we would at least see some battle and speed to our play from the get go but the tactics look basic with no increase in energy or fight.

It wasn’t great under Ralph towards the end but I always felt we were ok, we had enough. Watching today, I can’t see where we are going to get points. No structure to our play and all over the place at times, defensively and in transition.  At this level a manager with the time Jones has had should be showing something better than we have seen in the first two games.

I hope it is a case of the players not yet being able to properly execute the managers way but I am more and more thinking that the managers way is below the level needed in the Premier League. Let’s hope we see some reaction in the next few games or the season is likely gone.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, wooley7 said:

No structure to our play and all over the place at times, defensively and in transition.  At this level a manager with the time Jones has had should be showing something better than we have seen in the first two games.

This is what worried me too. Look, I am not a football manager, or a coach, but, as a fan of the game you can see the patterns and what style the team has, we can all see that. I didn't see any pattern today or objectives.  I saw chaos and complete ineptitude. 

After 5 weeks of having the team to drill, this is not acceptable. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

He was recruited to keep us up. The fan base didn't want him then, don't want him now and if he fails to keep us up the fanbase atmosphere will be toxic.

There is no scenario where he gets to "rebuild the club" or whatever if he takes us down. He will be hounded out, he will go. 

It's not about "entitlement", Spoets Republic have been talking a bloody good game, not about staying up but about building for the top half. It's them saying that, not me. Them. Have a pop at them with your "entitlement" pomposity.

And we stick with a manager for four years and all of a sudden we are Watford. Ok mate, okay then.

Hounded out by who? SWF? 😂😂 If our fanbase were that ruthless then Ralph would have been gone 2 years ago. If we stuck with him for 4 years, then the owners will definitely stick with Jones, even with relegation.

If needs be I'll have a pop at SR at the end of the season, not after Jones' first proper PL game and not before the transfer window has opened

Personally I’m not sure it matters who is in charge, so many of the players have been Ralphed and are just absolute shadows of what they were at their best.  

KWP looks miles off of it

Salisu no longer commanding

JWP no drive

Diallo well nothing at all

SArmstong obviously something going on there 

Djenepo completely gone 

Mo still trying but all attacking passing him by

And also as others have said, there does appear to be something a little odd with SR and their actions 

7 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Hounded out by who? SWF? 😂😂 If our fanbase were that ruthless then Ralph would have been gone 2 years ago. If we stuck with him for 4 years, then the owners will definitely stick with Jones, even with relegation.

If needs be I'll have a pop at SR at the end of the season, not after Jones' first proper PL game and not before the transfer window has opened

The atmosphere in the ground today was pretty bad. If we lose to Forest then it will be from most of the crowd. Won’t help the players who have no backbone, Hate to say it but.we're as doomed as fuck to quote Plato

Edited by whelk

4 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Sports Republic did not hire Ralph and he did not report to them for the total duration of his tenure. Nice try.

Either way we didn't get relegated under Ralph, if we did he'd have been sacked no question. That's kind of the point I'm making.

Jones will be sacked if he fails and we go down. I just hope you can cope with the heartbreak. 

38 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Hounded out by saints fans? Give me a break, SR aren't the listening sort and you overestimate Saints' fans ability to effect change. Rasmus took Brentford up and he'll believe he can do it again, his way, with his manager NJ. I think he'll get all next season too. If we finish bottom half of championship next year, then maybe he'll go. Finish In the play-offs and he'll go into his 3rd season.

Edited by Dragon_man
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Sports Republic did not hire Ralph and he did not report to them for the total duration of his tenure. Nice try.

Either way we didn't get relegated under Ralph, if we did he'd have been sacked no question. That's kind of the point I'm making.

Jones will be sacked if he fails and we go down. I just hope you can cope with the heartbreak. 

He may well be and if its best for the club then great. But that will be purely SRs decision, likely not determined by our watery fanbase, and certainly not by forum gimps foaming at the mouth after a managers first proper PL game in charge

6 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

Hounded out by saints fans? Give me a break, SR aren't the listening sort and you overestimate Saints' fans ability to effect change. Rasmus took Brighton up and he'll believe he can do it again, his way, with his manager NJ. I think he'll get all next season too. If we finish bottom half of championship next year, then maybe he'll go. Finish In the play-offs and he'll go into his 3rd season.

I reckon if we go down and then finish bottom of the Championship unless he gets us into the top 10 in League One then some fans will be asking questions about his ability. You know the bed wetters

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

Hounded out by saints fans? Give me a break, SR aren't the listening sort and you overestimate Saints' fans ability to effect change. Rasmus took Brighton up and he'll believe he can do it again, his way, with his manager NJ. I think he'll get all next season too. If we finish bottom half of championship next year, then maybe he'll go. Finish In the play-offs and he'll go into his 3rd season.

It wasn't Brighton it was Brentford. 

I admire you salivating at the prospect of a wonder administrator who can only "take a club up" by, er, relegating them in the first place.

But that isn't actually how the real world works. Jones will be sacked on relegation because he will have failed.

6 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

He may well be and if its best for the club then great. But that will be purely SRs decision, likely not determined by our watery fanbase, and certainly not by forum gimps foaming at the mouth after a managers first proper PL game in charge

All I am saying is if we go down Jones will be sacked.

You're saying he won't be. We'll see how it goes x x x 

I always give the team and the manager a chance…. But watching that with my 8 year old son in his full saints kit who is too embarrassed to wear his saints kit to school made me feel terrible. I told him I’ll support whatever club choice he makes even if it isn’t Saints. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It wasn't Brighton it was Brentford. 

I admire you salivating at the prospect of a wonder administrator who can only "take a club up" by, er, relegating them in the first place.

But that isn't actually how the real world works. Jones will be sacked on relegation because he will have failed.

I'm far from salivating, I think he's a disastrous appointment and SR are proving to be hopeless at managing a football team.  I'm just saying it as I see it.

I think they will keep with him next season. With a new squad and in the championship, he may be good manager.

Doesn't excuse what a f*** up it will have been to get to that point.

A good coach would be able to take that group of players. Work out a system that they could play and implement it (Potter at Brighton). Or bring their own style and train the players to do it like Poch did. 

We may still struggle to score goals, or make a mistake or two due to players still learning the system. But we would have seen a method. 

And by creating a style of play the team would gain confidence and stop making stupid mistakes like forgetting to mark or track a runner. 

The England cricket team right now is a really good example of a coach with a plan making apparently shit players great. 

Unfortunately - and I’ll never understand why SR did it…They’ve chosen a coach with no style and who our players seem unlikely to buy into. So instead of improving we’ve slumped even further.

Edited by bennyev
  • Like 7

Just now, CB Fry said:

All I am saying is if we go down Jones will be sacked.

You're saying he won't be. We'll see how it goes x x x 

Does it really matter, your tireless efforts contributing to a 'Nathan Jones OUT' thread in the hope that Ankersen and SR see your posts and react swiftly to replace him this season will have proven futile.

He's here until the end of the season so save some of that love you're throwing around for the manager and the players please

12 minutes ago, Ball boy said:

I always give the team and the manager a chance…. But watching that with my 8 year old son in his full saints kit who is too embarrassed to wear his saints kit to school made me feel terrible. I told him I’ll support whatever club choice he makes even if it isn’t Saints. 

Wait til we return to the league one days and see how embarrassed he is then 😂. He will have switched to Citeh by then so dont worry

33 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

If we don't win any of our next few (winnable opponents) I can very easily see the atmosphere turning very nasty and the board having no option but to act

The boos and empty seats were very notable. The board aren't stupid.

Are you sure about that?

23 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Does it really matter, your tireless efforts contributing to a 'Nathan Jones OUT' thread in the hope that Ankersen and SR see your posts and react swiftly to replace him this season will have proven futile.

He's here until the end of the season so save some of that love you're throwing around for the manager and the players please

I think the only person absolutely desperate for Sports Republic are reading this thread is you, with your desperate fawning about how wonderful it will be to let Jones relegate us so he can create a wonderful team in his own image in "several windows" time. Because that will really show the horrible short term knee jerk fans, won't it? SR are just faultless aren't they though? ❤❤❤

Me, I dont need SR to do anything, I'm not even asking them to. Check the thread.

I'm just telling you that if we go down Jones will be sacked. As it stands I am not even sure he will make it to the closing day of the season.

You think otherwise, which is your perogative.

Time will tell. 

Edited by CB Fry

7 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I think the only person absolutely desperate for Sports Republic are reading this thread is you, with your desperate fawning about how wonderful it will be to let Jones relegate us so he can create a wonderful team in his own image in "several windows" time. Because that will really show the horrible short term knee jerk fans, won't it? SR are just faultless aren't they though? ❤❤❤

Me, I dont need SR to do anything, I'm not even asking them to. Check the thread.

I'm just telling you that if we go down Jones will be sacked. As it stands I am not even sure he will make it to the closing day of the season.

Time will tell. 

I think him continuing as manager would depend on how we got relegated. 

12 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Time will tell. 

I want him to keep us up like any Saints fan would. Check the thread.

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

If we don't win any of our next few (winnable opponents) I can very easily see the atmosphere turning very nasty and the board having no option but to act

The boos and empty seats were very notable. The board aren't stupid.

I disagree. They are. Burying their heads in the sand and hoping something changes is literally what the case was for the past eight/nine months prior to RH’s sacking.

The club went cheap, and should’ve gone for a statement of intent. Young promising players are more likely to want to work with and be attracted to a bigger name, than Nathan Jones.

He had six weeks to get a new system together.

He had six weeks to get to know who were the best players

Six weeks to keep fitness levels strong.

Six weeks to motivate the players

He failed on all.

Atrocious performance and only marginally better than Lincoln. We lose against Forest and we need him gone. Knee jerk I know. An experienced manager required. If not possible, just bring in Adkins. The fan love him so that’ll give them a bit of a boost and at least he’s been watching us regularly enough this season to know who our better players are!

• Like 9

I said he was shit when he was appointed and was slated for not getting behind the team.

I've seen a lot of Luton. Enough to tell me that all he had there was fighting spirit, which isn't enough at this level. His tactics were non-existent. 

How somebody at Southampton thought that he was a suitable replacement for Ralph is unbelievable. They clearly never watched a single game that he managed. I can only assume they looked at the results on a piece of paper and said "he's done ok on a limited budget. He's got a bit of fight in him. Get him in".

His chest thumping and shouting might work in the Championship but it's not for the Premiership. 

I despise the bloke. Have done since his first tenure at Luton. He's a Charlatan. Most of my Luton supporting Mates didn't want him back after he was sacked by Stoke and every one of them thinks he'll take Saints down. 

Nathan Jones is all about one thing... Himself. I know for a fact that our players think he's an idiot. One of our loan players, who shall remain nameless, was heard saying to another player after Jones' first training session "What the fuck is this guy all about?"

I can't bear to see this wanker ruining the team. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

I attribute a fair portion of the blame to the fans that wanted Ralph sacked frankly. The entitlement behind that thinking, and the toxic atmosphere that was generated by those fans, has led us directly to here. Nothing can change it now, but some need to consider that before having another tantrum over Jones...

After all, those fans have got what they wanted, and how many times were we assured on here that we couldn't hire someone worse than Ralph... 

Edited by Saint86
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!