Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

No bet if he thinks there are no problems, then he’s more out of his depth than I ever imagined! 

Thinking there’s no problems and saying to the press there’s no problems are completely different things. If he told the press some home truths, people would be slagging him off for that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Thinking there’s no problems and saying to the press there’s no problems are completely different things. If he told the press some home truths, people would be slagging him off for that. 

Not sure, I’d rather he was realistic, and aware. Personally anyway. Just talking crap in the media is pointless, give me Ralph’s honest interviews over his every day of the week. 

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

I wonder what the i want to be entertained brigade make of it all? They wanted Puel out because he didn’t entertain them, now the entertainment is worse and we’re getting dicked every week

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Nathan Jones reminds me of the latter days of George Burley, a pissed up over-enthusiast windmilling his arms on the sidelines while a shit-show ensues on the pitch and none of his players actually listen.

I think in comparison Burley was more restrained and considered. 

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I wonder what the i want to be entertained brigade make of it all? They wanted Puel out because he didn’t entertain them, now the entertainment is worse and we’re getting dicked every week

With Puel it was it was Jean-Luc Godard noir, we now appear to have bought in Mrs Browns Boys. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

So Nathan, how would you sun things up?

Well, you’d think after telling the players what to do, they’d be able to understand basic instructions but I’ve inherited a group of players who’ve had the confidence totally knocked out of them. Some of them aren’t good enough for this level but they’re what we’ve got to work with as money has been wasted all over the place. They haven’t had a way of playing for at least a year and the previous manager use to change the team so regularly that on pitch partnerships couldn’t form, team cohesion was non-existent, players never knew if they were in the good books or bad books and after good performances, they’d be dropped with no reason given. I’m a different type of coach than many of them are used to as most of them have been mollycoddled at well-funded academies where everything is done for them. That doesn’t stop either when you’re a premier league player, only those with true winning mentalities make it to a higher level, and we don’t have many winners in this squad at the moment.  Also, the board told players that new players would come in, and the previous manager wouldn’t last of results and approach didn’t change but that never happened. The academy hasn’t produced a proper first team player for well over a decade, there are some players who might step up but there are no ex players of any calibre to guide them through their development. So basically, staying up is unlikely unless we get some quality players with some grit in. These lot need a kick up the arse and a reminder of what their job is, and that’s to win and entertain fans. It’s a great job and when they can give a shit, they’ll enjoy it more too. The club needs to remember that it’s about producing good football teams too. Profits will come if the team is good, they want to develop young players into saleable assets but if they’re surrounded by weak players with little character, and ability, they’ll never learn how to be good players. This is a turd that’s going to be difficult to polish, and I’ve not had the experience dealing players at this level who think they’re better than they are, at a club that thinks it’s better than it is. It’s going to be tough to stay up, no mistake. 

Erm, thanks Nathan. 

Nathan walks off down the tunnel looking like he’s seen the ghosts of Southampton FC past, present and future. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not sure, I’d rather he was realistic, and aware. Personally anyway. Just talking crap in the media is pointless, give me Ralph’s honest interviews over his every day of the week. 

Maybe early in his tenure. The last year or so some of his interviews were just delusional. We always seemed to be hard done by or really unlucky, when in reality we were outplayed and deserving of nothing.

Jones is new in the job so he cant be laying into the players already. He has also talked about the importance of man management so we'll be getting plenty of watered down interviews

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Even that is relatively insignificant compared to PL TV money. The idea that an impassioned protest with hundreds of fans storming the pitch and throwing their STs at the dugout will make any kind of difference is naive and futile. The owners care about money, not how happy we are. 

True. But they know that going down is going to lose them a shitload of money, so if we lose badly against Fulham and Forest that may motivate them to pull the trigger.

But I wouldn't bet on it.

1 hour ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Well, you’d think after telling the players what to do, they’d be able to understand basic instructions but I’ve inherited a group of players who’ve had the confidence totally knocked out of them. Some of them aren’t good enough for this level but they’re what we’ve got to work with as money has been wasted all over the place. They haven’t had a way of playing for at least a year and the previous manager use to change the team so regularly that on pitch partnerships couldn’t form, team cohesion was non-existent, players never knew if they were in the good books or bad books and after good performances, they’d be dropped with no reason given. I’m a different type of coach than many of them are used to as most of them have been mollycoddled at well-funded academies where everything is done for them. That doesn’t stop either when you’re a premier league player, only those with true winning mentalities make it to a higher level, and we don’t have many winners in this squad at the moment.  Also, the board told players that new players would come in, and the previous manager wouldn’t last of results and approach didn’t change but that never happened. The academy hasn’t produced a proper first team player for well over a decade, there are some players who might step up but there are no ex players of any calibre to guide them through their development. So basically, staying up is unlikely unless we get some quality players with some grit in. These lot need a kick up the arse and a reminder of what their job is, and that’s to win and entertain fans. It’s a great job and when they can give a shit, they’ll enjoy it more too. The club needs to remember that it’s about producing good football teams too. Profits will come if the team is good, they want to develop young players into saleable assets but if they’re surrounded by weak players with little character, and ability, they’ll never learn how to be good players. This is a turd that’s going to be difficult to polish, and I’ve not had the experience dealing players at this level who think they’re better than they are, at a club that thinks it’s better than it is. It’s going to be tough to stay up, no mistake. 

Erm, thanks Nathan. 

Nathan walks off down the tunnel looking like he’s seen the ghosts of Southampton FC past, present and future. 

You forgot the bit where he says:

I haven't got a turd polisher or any other sort of polisher, so I guess the best I can do is recall Jan bednarek as he's a turd and also polish 

• Haha 1

This squad of players are / were completely devoid of confidence long before NJ got here. My feeling is some of the players haven’t bought into him and maybe never will. The squad isn’t good enough to stay up and unless money is spent then we are down regardless of who is in charge. 

the club is rotten to the core and needs a complete overhaul. I’m bored of the last 5 years watching shyte football and barely winning and zero spirit in the team. IM happy to let the current management team continue and give them time to build a team with some spririt & heart. We will likely go down in the short term but as long as there are signs of something new being built I can live with it. 

How mad must I  be, probably the only saints fan who wants him to stay 😂

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

@wild-saint

what exactly have you seen in NJ so far to make you think he’s the man for this job to want him to stay?

not trying to be an arse but It can’t be the clear identity and playing style he’s forged over the last 6weeks with the squad. Perhaps it ‘s his vast experience and achievements  at the top levels of the game maybe? 

Tbf to Jones, there was some promising signs against Brighton... 

We attacked and created over 2xG, we limited Brighton to under 1....

The issues were that we had no central defensive holding man, and our attacker's are all utterly shit at actually scoring. Plus bazunu looks like a broken kid at the back atm. 

We all know the issues. No CDM, and no strikers that can finish... Plus recalling tella is an absolute no brainer... Sadly I doubt we have the time or funds to get men in to address that and gel them together.

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

I watched the utd vs Forest game tonight. 

Forest had more possession (34.2 % vs 33.6%) at old Trafford than we did at home to Brighton. Plus pretty much the same number of passes (314 to 329) brighton had over double ( 680) 

the expected goal stat is skewed by the penalty and header from JWP - I don’t particularly recall any other meaningful chance (on target) from open play for us. 

it was an awful awful performance and only made better because brighton eased off. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, imadirtyurchin said:

I watched the utd vs Forest game tonight. 

Forest had more possession (34.2 % vs 33.6%) at old Trafford than we did at home to Brighton. Plus pretty much the same number of passes (314 to 329) brighton had over double ( 680) 

the expected goal stat is skewed by the penalty and header from JWP - I don’t particularly recall any other meaningful chance (on target) from open play for us. 

it was an awful awful performance and only made better because brighton eased off. 

Penalties aren't included in xG 😇

I'm not defending Jones, we were far to easy to play through. But we did do some decent attacking and with better players up front we'd have generated more chances / taken more of what we did generate. 

We were still to easy to play through, and the goals we conceded were embassingly soft. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Revenue, capacity? Forgot they win you games of football. I'm sure the likes of Sunderland, Sheff Utd, Birmingham etc thought they would be safe because of their big support. Fact of the matter is the recruitment and the coaching of the players has been poor for a while now which is why we are where we are. Clubs like Brighton, Palace, Brentford etc with much less capacity, revenue etc are light years ahead of us right now in those depts

Not at all what I was saying though is it, I was responding to the statement a club of our stature @nd that comment was 3ntrrely wrong about our stature which  is a lot bigger than stated. I don’t disagree with anything you said above, the club is underperforming.

6 hours ago, imadirtyurchin said:

@wild-saint

what exactly have you seen in NJ so far to make you think he’s the man for this job to want him to stay?

not trying to be an arse but It can’t be the clear identity and playing style he’s forged over the last 6weeks with the squad. Perhaps it ‘s his vast experience and achievements  at the top levels of the game maybe? 

Absolutely  nothing. I’ve also seen absolutely nothing from this squad (bar lavia) in the last 12 months to suggest that we have the squad to keep us up.

The only thing I can see is he has built sides that have heart and spirit and I’m happy to see given a little time if he can do that here. If we go  down before he has managed that then so be it.

I’ve watched saints for 40+ years and the time watching from the moment Koeman left has been the most dull / boring experience I can remember. I’ve watched enough of that soulless bile to last a lifetime. 

a promotion challenge would be a damn sight more entertaining than this. I understand 99% won’t agree and want to blindly hope we can continue scraping by each year.

FFS it’s got so low at SMS noone really got that upset when we conceded 2 easy goals yesterday. 

The biggest negative about NJ that I can see is that it looks like the senior players haven’t bought into him either. That 2 me says more about them than him when they should be fighting until they drop. For example ABK has come back after epwearing a Germany shirt and it looks like he now thinks he is too good for us. The whiff of arrogance in the club stinks.

yet again I dont expect many to agree but for my own personal interest I’m happy to see us drop to witness whether we can rebuild. That seems far more interesting than clinging on like we have for the past 5 years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Absolutely  nothing. I’ve also seen absolutely nothing from this squad (bar lavia) in the last 12 months to suggest that we have the squad to keep us up.

The only thing I can see is he has built sides that have heart and spirit and I’m happy to see given a little time if he can do that here. If we go  down before he has managed that then so be it.

I’ve watched saints for 40+ years and the time watching from the moment Koeman left has been the most dull / boring experience I can remember. I’ve watched enough of that soulless bile to last a lifetime. 

a promotion challenge would be a damn sight more entertaining than this. I understand 99% won’t agree and want to blindly hope we can continue scraping by each year.

FFS it’s got so low at SMS noone really got that upset when we conceded 2 easy goals yesterday. 

The biggest negative about NJ that I can see is that it looks like the senior players haven’t bought into him either. That 2 me says more about them than him when they should be fighting until they drop. For example ABK has come back after epwearing a Germany shirt and it looks like he now thinks he is too good for us. The whiff of arrogance in the club stinks.

yet again I dont expect many to agree but for my own personal interest I’m happy to see us drop to witness whether we can rebuild. That seems far more interesting than clinging on like we have for the past 5 years.

It's a nice idea on paper I suppose, but what makes you think we have a good chance of successfully rebuilding in the Championship if all we are capable of is treading water in the Prem? In other words, if our owners can't get it right up here, why should they spring into action down there? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Saint86 said:

If anyone needed further proof that XG is a load of old toot then here we go.

On no actual metric or objective measure (you know, like watching the game with your human eyes) were we twice as good as Brighton at anything during that match. And we didn't "limit" them to anything, they were all over us.

We were utter dogshit. Our XShit rating was 325 shitpoints compared to Brighton's 13. I worked that our with logarithms and everything.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

On no actual metric or objective measure (you know, like watching the game with your human eyes) were we twice as good as Brighton at anything during that match. And we didn't "limit" them to anything, they were all over us.

We were utter dogshit. Our XShit rating was 325 shitpoints compared to Brighton's 13. I worked that our with logarithms and everything.

If anyone needed further proof that fans opinions are a load of old toot then here you go.

Brighton far out played us, but their actual chances weren’t that clear, first goal should’ve been saved, second wasn’t a shot and 3rd long range that wouldn’t haves high success rate

we on the other hand had a penalty and a tap in, which would be a goal almost every time.

once you look at that actual metric, the defence actually didn’t do too bad at limiting obvious chances

overall we played crap in terms of goalmouth chances they didn’t exactly have a heap (obviously they may have created more if they needed too)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Indeed. And imagine if a PL club hired a manager based on his stats? How crazy would that be?!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

We were twice as good as them (at least) at giving away soft arsed goals and being generally shit.  Our manager also had leggings on that were twice as pink as anything I've ever seen.

n.b. no actual logarithms were used to reach these conclusions, just my very old, very pissed eyes!

32 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

If anyone needed further proof that fans opinions are a load of old toot then here you go.

Brighton far out played us, but their actual chances weren’t that clear, first goal should’ve been saved, second wasn’t a shot and 3rd long range that wouldn’t haves high success rate

we on the other hand had a penalty and a tap in, which would be a goal almost every time.

once you look at that actual metric, the defence actually didn’t do too bad at limiting obvious chances

overall we played crap in terms of goalmouth chances they didn’t exactly have a heap (obviously they may have created more if they needed too)

Instead of looking at "an actual metric" you could look at an actual football match where we wee appalling and made Brighton look like 1970 Brazil.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

Yup I largely agree. 

And I don't get why people have such an anuerism over statistical analyses of the game. xG for example is a very useful statistic for looking at a team's actual threat in a match, and in a lot of ways is more useful than total shots, shots on target, and possession re attacking output. A team could have 60% possession and 20 shots for example, but if all of them are at 30yards and either easily saved or miss the target, who actually cares? Hmm, well that would probably correlate to anyone that actually enjoyed puel's football actually... 

Reality is, the only sliver of anything positive from that Brighton game was that we did show some threat on the attack, and we did limit them to clear cut chances. It's not his fault that bazunu was having haemorrhage. And sure Brighton could well have upped it, but we'll never know. 

Eitherway, we were far too easy to play through in the midfield, and our attackers still can't finish for toffee.

The team selection was also absolute dogshit... Borderline inexcusable in fact. Except it is his 2nd real game... Who knows, maybe there is something in this view that he had never really seen the players competitively, time will tell. 

Anyway, people can keep complaining about the use of stats if they want, it's a free country. But I still think they add something to the general understanding of a given game, and their ever increasing use and popularity in all parts of football would support that. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

I am far, far smarter than you. You are clearly a dinosaur who doesn't understand XG. 

12 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Any idea on the view of Jones from within the squad St Garrett?

Seems to me like everyone knows he will get time regardless, including relegation and that the likes of Crocker and more to come have worked this out and are leaving now. The same will happen with players I would imagine.

8 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

" Moussa and Diallo are aggressive players who play on the front foot"   FFS!..Im all for giving the manager a chance but cmon Nathan ,  they are both powder puff and shocking players who should be no where near the first team!

Did he actually say that? Fuck a duck! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAY-Z said:

So the fact that the 'tap in' led from a missed penalty goes in our favour. Says everything you need to know about this XG nonsense.

54 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Yup I largely agree. 

And I don't get why people have such an anuerism over statistical analyses of the game. xG for example is a very useful statistic for looking at a team's actual threat in a match, and in a lot of ways is more useful than total shots, shots on target, and possession re attacking output. A team could have 60% possession and 20 shots for example, but if all of them are at 30yards and either easily saved or miss the target, who actually cares? Hmm, well that would probably correlate to anyone that actually enjoyed puel's football actually... 

Reality is, the only sliver of anything positive from that Brighton game was that we did show some threat on the attack, and we did limit them to clear cut chances. It's not his fault that bazunu was having haemorrhage. And sure Brighton could well have upped it, but we'll never know. 

Eitherway, we were far too easy to play through in the midfield, and our attackers still can't finish for toffee.

The team selection was also absolute dogshit... Borderline inexcusable in fact. Except it is his 2nd real game... Who knows, maybe there is something in this view that he had never really seen the players competitively, time will tell. 

Anyway, people can keep complaining about the use of stats if they want, it's a free country. But I still think they add something to the general understanding of a given game, and their ever increasing use and popularity in all parts of football would support that. 

If NJ is actually claiming to have never really seen the players competitively that's a big cop out and proof he's not taking the job seriously. Any new manager worth his salt would be studying the hours of footage that are readily available. The stark fact for him is that a large majority of the fan base didn't want him so his honeymoon period will likely be very short so he'd better get some strong performances and wins under his belt sooner rather than later.

Edited by saintant

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

If NJ is actually claiming o have never really seen the players competitively that's a big cop out and proof he's not taking the job seriously. Any new manager worth his salt would be studying the hours of footage that are readily available. The stark fact for him is that a large majority of the fan base didn't want him so his honeymoon period will likely be very short so he'd better get some strong performances and wins under his belt sooner rather than later.

He said in his Lincoln press conference he was almost finished watching and analysing every saints game from this season. 

16 hours ago, USaint said:

Frank de Boer had 4 Premier League games at Palace before he was fired (he replaced Big Sam). NJ would beat that record if SR have enough after Fulham

15 hours ago, Turkish said:

be good to get another premier league record under our belts before we disappear out of it.

Talking of Premier League records, slightly disappointing that we missed out on this one, and somewhat surprised we hadn't achieved it some time ago... ;)

Screenshot_20221228-100346-348.png

Watched Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United the last couple of days and I notice that they play a pass into spaces for their own players to run into which beats the marker and creates opportunities.

We play passes to feet but then the opposition closes them down which results in a pass sideways or backwards.

So it’s not kick and move it’s move and kick.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mr X said:

And who would you say is the main person to blame for appointing him? And are the people who let it happen equally to blame? 

They can't blame us that's for sure. Most fans saw it coming from the first mention of his name.

One stat we can trust, bottom of the league at Christmas = nigh on certain relegation

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Erm, thanks Nathan. 

This is more likely the speech to the family gathering over Xmas, just need to add in a smattering of ‘marvellous’ ‘wonderful’ and ‘aggressive’ for full authenticity 🙂

4 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Watched Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United the last couple of days and I notice that they play a pass into spaces for their own players to run into which beats the marker and creates opportunities.

We play passes to feet but then the opposition closes them down which results in a pass sideways or backwards.

So it’s not kick and move it’s move and kick.

I don't think our players have the intelligence to do anything else.

''Oh a ball, let me pass it quickly to a player I can see. No idea if it's the best option''

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAY-Z said:

Maybe time to remove those red and white tinted specs and accept we were battered for most of the game. 3-1 flattered us if we're being honest.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

They can't blame us that's for sure. Most fans saw it coming from the first mention of his name.

One stat we can trust, bottom of the league at Christmas = nigh on certain relegation

The bottom of the league at Xmas doesn't really come into play because of the World Cup break. Not to say we're not in serious shit 🙂

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!