Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

The last match I attended was August 22 v Manchester United and I thought it was a great effort by a team not so very different from the Brighton game. But in five months everything seems to have gone downhill. When you see a lower division team defeat or draw with illustrious team in a Cup match it’s usually about having some reasonable skill level but above all its attitude, laying down your life for your team mates, having a game plan and a never say die attitude. Have we seen any of that from our team in the last few months. Interesting to read the account of that Man U match on the Saints app. “……

This was a day when the result did not match the performance for Southampton, as they were edged out 1-0 by Manchester United despite producing an intense and committed display at St Mary’s.

A second-half strike from Bruno Fernandes ultimately separated the teams, but there was little else between them, as Ralph Hasenhüttl’s men gave as good as they got against Erik ten Hag’s resurgent side.…..” I know it’s a PR based report but can you imagine anything like that being written currently. 
I believe we have several good players eg Walker Peters, Salisu, Che, BellaK each of whom are fringe international standard but sadly the captain looks a shadow of his former self and certainly doesn’t seem to drive those around him into action and we have also been hit by ongoing injuries that have weakened the team. 

I think we needed a manager who could take a demoralised set of fairly average players and with a charismatic manner win them over and the fans too. We don’t need to be up with Newcastle and we don’t have their money (or sadly their manager) but I would settle for the Brentford awash buckling approach. Any hope??

3 minutes ago, James G said:

Southampton will be fine, just chill.

It was all aboard the daftee express the weekend gone, but the core principles are being embedded, you'll see improvement as we go.

Can you outline the core principles? Because truly: I saw no resemblance of a plan.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Can you outline the core principles? Because truly: I saw no resemblance of a plan.

Well, the other team will have more possession, you close them down, shift it forward quickly  second man available, into the box, shots on goal. 

Setups can be anything.

Obviously at the weekend, there were errors early on and it went pear shaped, but Soton had double the shots, and were equal with shots on target. The Brighton ones came about mainly due to errors, but 80 per cent of football is about confidence, it is what it is.

It's not going to be as pretty, but Soton will be fine.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 4

11 minutes ago, James G said:

Well, the other team will have more possession, you close them down, shift it forward quickly  second man available, into the box, shots on goal. 

Setups can be anything.

Obviously at the weekend, there were errors early on and it went pear shaped, but Soton had double the shots, and were equal with shots on target. The Brighton ones came about mainly due to errors, but 80 per cent of football is about confidence, it is what it is.

Nice of you to join us Nathan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, James G said:

Setups can be anything.

Cheers Nath 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, James G said:

Either support the team or don't but NJ is two games in, threads like this are incredibly irrational and disrespectful after such a short time. Anyway, best wishes for the New Year👍

Three.

And you earn respect, you don’t just get given it.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, James G said:

Either support the team or don't but NJ is two games in, threads like this are incredibly irrational and disrespectful after such a short time. Anyway, best wishes for the New Year👍

Just because a few people at a charity gig like him, doesn’t mean he is in any way suitable for this job. He’s so far out of his depth it’s an embarrassment. 

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, James G said:

Two games seems like two too many… plus you’ve had 6 weeks to get that performance….

if you’re not Nathan, you’re definitely a shill. 

A new poster who happens to join the forum when NJ is linked to this job. Advocates for him - but isn’t a Luton fan or a Southampton fan. But speaks in football terms and glowingly of NJ (as if insider knowledge) and then only reappears on an NJ out thread to again speak glowingly and writes in a very similar pattern of speaking to NJ. 
I can’t believe that a charity organiser unconnected with either Luton or Saints or NJ would bother to get so involved without a vested interest.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Much as I'm uninspired by NJ's appointment and the display against Brighton. He's had two PL games against two very good teams who are on form.

It's taken Brighton a few years of building to get to this point, they remind me of Saints when we had Pochetino/Koeman and Lallana, Schiderlin, Lambert, Fonte etc. A group of players who've grown and improved as a group with a decent manager.

I thought the commentator said this new manager Brighton have got took 5 games before getting his first win. Maybe allow the same courtesy for Nathan Jones.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, st alex said:

Much as I'm uninspired by NJ's appointment and the display against Brighton. He's had two PL games against two very good teams who are on form.

It's taken Brighton a few years of building to get to this point, they remind me of Saints when we had Pochetino/Koeman and Lallana, Schiderlin, Lambert, Fonte etc. A group of players who've grown and improved as a group with a decent manager.

I thought the commentator said this new manager Brighton have got took 5 games before getting his first win. Maybe allow the same courtesy for Nathan Jones.

No we won’t do that because we are Southampton and we should have Tuchel or Poch managing us. But we don’t want Eddie Howe he’s shit. 

3 hours ago, James G said:

Southampton will be fine, just chill.

It was all aboard the daftee express the weekend gone, but the core principles are being embedded, you'll see improvement as we go.

Morning Nath

Can you run us through what you worked on during the WC break ? And how you tried to embed these principles?

Because frankly a team the team didn’t seem to have a clue what the plan was vs Brighton and Im not convinced, after 5 formation changes, you did either

HNY

• Like 1

6 hours ago, James G said:

Setups can be anything.

You can always tell the real fans on here because we all call the club "Soton" all the time.

Welcome aboard. You must have some great stories from your many years following our club like you definitely do 👍👍👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, James G said:

Setups can be anything.

I instinctively read that in a welsh accent and it sounded like an NJ press conference. 

Dunno who you are, but your account was registered 3 days before NJ was announced. You ain't  just some dude who met him at a charity dinner. 

Whoever you are, tactics of let them have the ball, chase them around picking up scraps, hoofing it long for a big man to feed a little man, isn't going to win matches at this level. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, egg said:

I instinctively read that in a welsh accent and it sounded like an NJ press conference. 

Dunno who you are, but your account was registered 3 days before NJ was announced. You ain't  just some dude who met him at a charity dinner. 

Whoever you are, tactics of let them have the ball, chase them around picking up scraps, hoofing it long for a big man to feed a little man, isn't going to win matches at this level. 

What tactics on Saturday we didn’t have any apart from don’t tackle, don’t mark a player , don’t pass it forward hoof it to one man and hope to get the second ball …we didn’t.

20 hours ago, saintant said:

Maybe time to remove those red and white tinted specs and accept we were battered for most of the game. 3-1 flattered us if we're being honest.

Umm what part of where i said we were battered in general play makes you think I think we were any good overall

but it is a fact they had very few clear cut chances.

the amount of people that can’t understand this is just mind boggling 

just like possession stats alone don’t decide a match, xG doesn’t either, but so much data goes into analysing a performance, people that want to slag off specific data sets in isolation show they have no idea what they are doing

12 minutes ago, egg said:

Remember Nathan Jones' wifes family are historic Saints Fans.

other than that. We've still got a potential of 66 points to win and there are only 3 points between us and 15th

10 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

What tactics on Saturday we didn’t have any apart from don’t tackle, don’t mark a player , don’t pass it forward hoof it to one man and hope to get the second ball …we didn’t.

I think jones and JWP both said they didnt implement his tactics properly and the players were playing nothing football.

7 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I think jones and JWP both said they didnt implement his tactics properly and the players were playing nothing football.

Which suggests either he hasn't been able to inspire the players and get them onside or we haven't managed to recruit high quality premier league players who are capable of learning (at least the basics of) a new system in 6 weeks.

I know where my money is.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

He played 5 x systems. Not easy to implement anything, or trust in it, when the manager seems so unclear what he wants the players to do. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

Umm what part of where i said we were battered in general play makes you think I think we were any good overall

but it is a fact they had very few clear cut chances.

the amount of people that can’t understand this is just mind boggling 

just like possession stats alone don’t decide a match, xG doesn’t either, but so much data goes into analysing a performance, people that want to slag off specific data sets in isolation show they have no idea what they are doing

Jeez. They annihilated us all over the park. They could have had 5 at least and eased up. We were lucky to get 1. There's nothing more to understand than we all witnessed. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, James G said:

Whilst I agree that threads like these are somewhat irrational, you have to be aware of recent history. The generally poor performances in the transfer market, coupled with/resulting in diabolical performances on the pitch (two 9 - 0's anyone?) have completely knocked the stuffing out of most Saints fans. Every time it seems that things may be looking up, we are rapidly bought down to Earth with a mighty bump. When SR took over it seemed like something positive was happening. The summer transfer window seemed to reinforce this feeling until the failure to rectify our biggest, most obvious failing...a lack of goals....took the shine off of it. I was a big supporter of RH, but he needed to go. Went he went, I fell a great deal of sadness as he came across as a great bloke who was dedicated to the club but had lost his way. My only consolation was that when a new manager was appointed, SR would appoint someone with higher league experience. That didn't happen, which was a shock and another disappointment. As someone else said "respect has to be earned", but sadly you....sorry....Nathan Jones has got very little time to earn that respect. At the moment it feels too much like....to quote The Who...."Meet the new boss....same as the old boss".....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, imadirtyurchin said:

Two games seems like two too many… plus you’ve had 6 weeks to get that performance….

if you’re not Nathan, you’re definitely a shill. 

A new poster who happens to join the forum when NJ is linked to this job. Advocates for him - but isn’t a Luton fan or a Southampton fan. But speaks in football terms and glowingly of NJ (as if insider knowledge) and then only reappears on an NJ out thread to again speak glowingly and writes in a very similar pattern of speaking to NJ. 
I can’t believe that a charity organiser unconnected with either Luton or Saints or NJ would bother to get so involved without a vested interest.

This happened during his tenure with us.  They defend him to the hilt with stats, mainly expected goals, with the promise it'll all click at some point. 

Edited by IanCransonsKnees
Spelling
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

No criticism of you MB and equally no defence of NJ but bloody hell - I could have written that. No substance to it at all. Awful piece. And if Football Insider is the first port of call for disgruntled Saints players then the bar has sunk lower than I had imagined! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Which suggests either he hasn't been able to inspire the players and get them onside or we haven't managed to recruit high quality premier league players who are capable of learning (at least the basics of) a new system in 6 weeks.

I know where my money is.

Or the majority of footballers are thick.

48 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Which senior players think they have enough credit in the bank to push back on a formation change.

We have been shit for 3/4yrs - something needs to change - players and system.

2 minutes ago, gordonToo said:

Us of a certain vintage have seen this all before. Hopefully SR will see the error of the ways and put Selles back in charge.

Personally I don't have any time for this (if the players are throwing their toys out).

They have been SHIT for years, they are in no position to dictate anything. If this is true they need to STFU or get the hell out of my club, as they've stunk it out for years with their shitness.

• Like 4

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Personally I don't have any time for this (if the players are throwing their toys out).

They have been SHIT for years, they are in no position to dictate anything. If this is true they need to STFU or get the hell out of my club, as they've stunk it out for years with their shitness.

we are evidently not suited to 3 at the back, yet the powers at the club seem determined to make us play it.

If I was a player, watching my best years go down the drain, I would be resistant too

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

we are evidently not suited to 3 at the back, yet the powers at the club seem determined to make us play it.

If I was a player, watching my best years go down the drain, I would be resistant too

It's a shame they didn't really perform with 4 at the back then isn't it, bar a purple patch.

Not interested in their sob stories, they have been shit in a 3, 4 or 10 over the last however many years.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's a shame they didn't really perform with 4 at the back then isn't it, bar a purple patch.

Not interested in their sob stories, they have been shit in a 3, 4 or 10 over the last however many years.

I am not one to defend Ralph at all, but earlier this season, we were just a good striker away from being a decent side.  I recall the united home game, easily the better team but fluffed many chances...as we kept dropping points, it spiralled into shit....

I am sure that nearly every instance we try 3 at the back, with mostly this group of players, it is been utterly awful...

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I am not one to defend Ralph at all, but earlier this season, we were just a good striker away from being a decent side.  I recall the united home game, easily the better team but fluffed many chances...as we kept dropping points, it spiralled into shit....

I am sure that nearly every instance we try 3 at the back, with mostly this group of players, it is been utterly awful...

It has been Lincoln the latest example of utter shiteness with 3 and only when we went to a 4 did we start playing.

Also putting better players on pitch might help.

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd likely agree with you if Jones had any sort of pedigree. The fact is he doesn't and there's the problem.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!