Lyanco

Huffton

That NJ has spent a number of weeks assessing our defence and has seemingly come to the conclusion that Lyanco is a starter is genuinely staggering to me and makes me question his judgement. Lyanco should be fourth/fifth choice at best - he is simply not good enough and nowhere near Premier League quality.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Thick as mince and no positional sense, but has good ‘aggression’ (reckless). Would do OK in a side battling in the lower third of the Championship.  Obviously the first name on the NJ teamsheet. 

we’re talking about a guy who thinks he’s a gorilla, it was obvious he was going to be shit from the start seeing his youtube highlights of him doing rainbow flicks in his own box for Torino.

30 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Thick as mince and no positional sense, but has good ‘aggression’ (reckless). Would do OK in a side battling in the lower third of the Championship.  Obviously the first name on the NJ teamsheet. 

I think that's the point - he's dumb as fuck. Makes the wrong decisions ALL the time, gets into the wrong positions ALL the time, uses his aggression wrong ALL the time and gets over excited over nonsense ALL the time.

'If' he had a brain on him he'd probably pass as a decent defender as he could use his 'aggression' in the right way, but given he has no brain cells then he's pretty pointless and shouldn't really be a footballer truth be told.

Edited by S-Clarke

3 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

we’re talking about a guy who thinks he’s a gorilla, it was obvious he was going to be shit from the start seeing his youtube highlights of him doing rainbow flicks in his own box for Torino.

IQ approaching that of a gorilla certainly. 

51 minutes ago, Bailey said:

That NJ has spent a number of weeks assessing our defence and has seemingly come to the conclusion that Lyanco is a starter is genuinely staggering to me and makes me question his judgement. Lyanco should be fourth/fifth choice at best - he is simply not good enough and nowhere near Premier League quality.

Remember in training the last few weeks Lyanco has probably been up against Walcott, Adam Armstrong and Aribo.   I'd probably still look good as a central defender against that lot and I'm 68 ex Sunday morning pub footballer.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, 64saint said:

Remember in training the last few weeks Lyanco has probably been up against Walcott, Adam Armstrong and Aribo.   I'd probably still look good as a central defender against that lot and I'm 68 ex Sunday morning pub footballer.

As weird as that sounds, this is probably true to a point. The real quality of our players are exaggerated due to who they are training with, if we had decent attackers in the training ground then I think it would be easy for a manager to call out the crap. But 3 games of shitness should be enough to make the call now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

As weird as that sounds, this is probably true to a point. The real quality of our players are exaggerated due to who they are training with, if we had decent attackers in the training ground then I think it would be easy for a manager to call out the crap. But 3 games of shitness should be enough to make the call now.

goes both ways, if djenepo gets tackled easily every time in a one on one against brighton, what’s he like against our defenders in training to be starting the match, scary. 

3 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Anyone who rates Lyanco higher than DCC has no business being a football manager.

DCC is pretty slow. Not sure that matters much in a deep lying five man defence, but it should be noted. I'm surprised he wasn't picked to mark Mitrovic. 

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

DCC is pretty slow. Not sure that matters much in a deep lying five man defence, but it should be noted. I'm surprised he wasn't picked to mark Mitrovic. 

He’s a defender that can defend.  Would be perfect in a back 3 with Salisu and Bella.

• Like 1

I’m pretty sure NJ has now had a good chance to see and assess  all of the players under match conditions over the last 3 games, I’d be surprised to see Lyanco start another game unless there is an injury crisis. Isn’t he supposed to be leaving in January anyway?

9 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

He’s a defender that can defend.  Would be perfect in a back 3 with Salisu and Bella.

I'm with you. In a three, its a no brainer.

Lyanco certainly has the ball skills and they should not be ignored, as it allows us to keep the ball and there is less defending to do, but he just does not do that defending properly. He `cheats' a bit. Instead of battling and accepting on occasion that he can't win a ball (he isn't a huge physical specimen, so can't bully all opponents), he chooses to dive in instead. 9 times out of 10 he gets the ball, or even the foul, but he sells himself time after time and a decent forward will wait for that error and then you are done for. If that doesn't happen in a game, he can look pretty good, but to my eye, its like a keeper that drops crosses but doesn't concede as a result. Eventually your luck runs out and those drops should not be overlooked.

I think he hides a little bit at set pieces too. Not every player is great in the air or dominant, but centre halves need to be monsters in their own box. He doesn't stick his head in where it hurts. He is too passive and even turns his back on occasions. It has cost us goals IMO.

He has some good attributes including his first touch, enthusiasm and drive, bit of nastiness, decent turn of foot...and as a fourth choice he is just fine. He's a Saint and I will support him to the max whenever he plays, but I wonder if he will ever learn and transform (like Fonte did) from being reckless to a tremendous defender. I have my doubts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Would have been interesting for the Serbia v Croatia element.

2 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

Im utterly baffled by it. DCC, who never let us down in the limited appearances he has made, a Croatia international, ex Marseille…. Yet, still… Lyanco.

Ugh.

DCC is nowhere near a front footed enough defender as Lyanco. If we're play 3 at the back then Lyanco's desire to push up and win the ball high is an asset, and before his laughable mistake yesterday, he was actually pretty good imo. 

27 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

DCC is nowhere near a front footed enough defender as Lyanco. If we're play 3 at the back then Lyanco's desire to push up and win the ball high is an asset, and before his laughable mistake yesterday, he was actually pretty good imo. 

Salisu can do that job

I just can't understand why we persist in buying players with shit track records. 

It was widely reported before we bought Lynaco that he was a lose canon and prone to defensive gaffs and yet Semmens and crew think that that this will help us in the premiership. Fekin unbelievable. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Why did people clap him off he was abysmal . He was at Fulham and was tonight yet gets applauded off!

Thought the same myself, a polite ripple of applause as he walked around the pitch.

The bloke is just terrible. For all his chest pumping and celebrating conceding a corner, he is probably the worst CB we have ever had. And I remember watching Alan Bennett against Palace and Calum Davenport.

• Like 1