Jason Wilcox

SuperSAINT

4 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

It's in the tweet I posted above (link is at the bottom of the Tweet).

Not everyone is rich enough to pay a £1 a month online subscription for the echo to read all stories. Most of us lower class are restricted to viewing just 2 stories in 24hours 😪🎻 

(although I have a loop hole to view any story no subscription 😉)

Edited by Master Bates
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Master Bates said:

Not everyone is rich enough to pay a £1 a month online subscription for the echo to read all stories. Most of us lower class are restricted to viewing just 2 stories in 24hours 😪🎻

Ah! OK, didn't know it was paywalled - mine just worked.

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Ah! OK, didn't know it was paywalled - mine just worked.

Same for me. There was a time when they started restricting the number of articles I read but that randomly stopped and now it's seemingly all free. I certainly didn't pay.

I'm pretty sure if you view the article through the Google discover page (news which flashes up when you open chrome or when you swipe left on some android homepages) you don't have to pay and can just read it. That's what I've found, just read the whole interview and don't pay a bit

10 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Right the article > Open in private 

Second part of the article very good too.

Wilcox was a key appointment and I thonk a good one. He has credibility and the transparency is also appreciated. 

The club need to bring supporters with them, not treat us as mugs and explaining clearly what they are doing is simple but really helps build bridges.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Next installment of the Wilcox interview. 

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23685203.southamptons-wilcox-calls-unwavering-belief-martin-hire/

He's definitely straight talking and focussed. I like what him and Martin both have to say so far.

BTW if you open using Brave web browser app it bypasses the paywall 😉

Like yesterday’s Echo interview the links for me come up with a subscribe paywall.

15 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Next installment of the Wilcox interview. 

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23685203.southamptons-wilcox-calls-unwavering-belief-martin-hire/

He's definitely straight talking and focussed. I like what him and Martin both have to say so far.

BTW if you open using Brave web browser app it bypasses the paywall 😉

Sounds like Martin is young, hungry and therefore guaranteed to improve. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thornhill_saints said:

Not if you right click link > open in private (Edge)

I stay in Chrome browser and click to open the link in an incognito tab and that bypasses it. 

“Russell is my hire. Of course, I have to get approval from the board but he’s my responsibility and I take full accountability,” Wilcox accepted.

this quote peaked my interest from all those that hate Rasmus, and just blindly assumed it was him who wanted Martin.

• Like 4

Much better interviews than the ones he did for the official site and a lot more detail in there.  Interesting that he's come out and said explicitly that Russell Martin is his hire.  That does suggest that Ankerson has deferred to Wilcox (which is what he should be doing).  I'm sure they're all "aligned" etc but good to know that Wilcox is making the decisions.

As a fan it's hard to get enthused by "generating asset value" and I don't see it becoming a chant to rival "Up the football league we go" but I understand what they want to do and it's not a bad way to run a club.  We're definitely in a better place having kids like Livramento and Lavia as asset values even if we don't hold onto them for as long as we'd like.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

“Russell is my hire. Of course, I have to get approval from the board but he’s my responsibility and I take full accountability,” Wilcox accepted.

this quote peaked my interest from all those that hate Rasmus, and just blindly assumed it was him who wanted Martin.

Did anyone assume Martin was a Rasmus appointment? I thought it was pretty clear that Wilcox had a strong input into our new manager. 

Jones was Rasmus choice though. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Easy to get swayed by words but it's definitely a good interview.

I wonder what would've happened last year if he'd have joined right when SR did.

SR appointed Joe Shields from Man City and he fucked off to Chelsea after 3 months. As I keep saying that’s one of the main reasons our season was a fuck up. Then Wilcox was approached in January but he was contracted to City until the end of the season. 
meanwhile Wilcox was unofficially starting to work for us. I’m assuming City would have been aware of that.

Shields didn’t exactly shine at Chelsea last season but by their standards they were more of a clusterfuck than we were.

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Did anyone assume Martin was a Rasmus appointment? I thought it was pretty clear that Wilcox had a strong input into our new manager. 

Alot posters were making out and complaining when we were linked how RM has no credentials and he was one of Rasmus's stubborn hires or something the effect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, manji said:

SR appointed Joe Shields from Man City and he fucked off to Chelsea after 3 months. As I keep saying that’s one of the main reasons our season was a fuck up. Then Wilcox was approached in January but he was contracted to City until the end of the season. 
meanwhile Wilcox was unofficially starting to work for us. I’m assuming City would have been aware of that.

Shields didn’t exactly shine at Chelsea last season but by their standards they were more of a clusterfuck than we were.

he didnt exactly shine with us either as he was here when many of the players who were so poor last season were signed, plus missing out on the striker we needed. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

He did but his job last year was ( as it is now ) supposed to be overseeing SR club rosta. From the latest interview from Wilcox it’s apparent quite a few were juggling jobs, not ideal. I’m guessing that’s what Dragan said recently that he didn’t focus enough on Saints and he intended to this season.

Thats apparent already. He’s been more public and put up the money for Charles and Manning in case we lost them.

The board has been rebooted and everyone now has very specific jobs. I know some enjoy calling me a SR fanboy but my job enables me to have a lot of free time. As I’ve said before I even watched Solaks interviews. 
Incidentally Solak is always in conflict with the pro-Russian government. He is pro-west which goes against centuries of alliance with the two countries.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

he didnt exactly shine with us either as he was here when many of the players who were so poor last season were signed, plus missing out on the striker we needed. 

Very true but he was only here for three months. I know you’ve taken the piss but the latest Wilcox interview has supplied the last pieces of the jigsaw which was the fuck up of last season.

FWIW it’s worth I’m seeing this as a clean slate. I hope SR have learnt from last season. This season going to be a rollercoaster but it’s got to be be more entertaining than the last couple of seasons.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, manji said:

Very true but he was only here for three months. I know you’ve taken the piss but the latest Wilcox interview has supplied the last pieces of the jigsaw which was the fuck up of last season.

FWIW it’s worth I’m seeing this as a clean slate. I hope SR have learnt from last season. This season going to be a rollercoaster but it’s got to be be more entertaining than the last couple of seasons.

Taken the piss out of who? I've been really impressed with what i 've see and what Wilcox has said so far, but loads talk a good game, lets see if he is able or has the backing to deliver.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Alot posters were making out and complaining when we were linked how RM has no credentials and he was one of Rasmus's stubborn hires or something the effect.

I reckon Rasmus is alright but he did make a good scapegoat with his hipster image and obsession with statistics. He was hardly Sam Allardyce.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Hard to judge these type of roles over a short period, also because we don't know the specifics.

In many cases we seemingly identified very good players (Gakpo, Ramos, Hojlund, Colwill etc) but obviously didnt sign any of them. Now I highly doubt that it was Shields handling negotiations with other clubs on the specifics, always came across that he was more a talent ID guy and arguably you can do that well and it falls down in the negotiation side.

I would imagine given his background Shields also had a role in the signings of Sam Amo and Jayden Meghoma. Those could prove very valuable at low cost in the medium term.

Even now there has been very little mention of Darren Mowbray (Shield's replacement). I don't think Martin has even refered to him, instead putting the responsibility on Wilcox.

So very hard to really apportion blame to individuals in any kind of educated way IMO as we don't really know who did what. It seems a bit clearer now.

Edited by Dusic

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Hard to judge these type of roles over a short period, also because we don't know the specifics.

In many cases we seemingly identified very good players (Gakpo, Ramos, Hojlund, Colwill etc) but obviously didnt sign any of them. Now I highly doubt that it was Shields handling negotiations with other clubs on the specifics, always came across that he was more a talent ID guy and arguably you can do that well and it falls down in the negotiation side.

I would imagine given his background Shields also had a role in the signings of Sam Amo and Jayden Meghoma. Those could prove very valuable at low cost in the medium term.

Even now there has been very little mention of Darren Mowbray (Shield's replacement). I don't think Martin has even refered to him, instead putting the responsibility on Wilcox.

So very hard to really apportion blame to individuals in any kind of educated way IMO as we don't really know who did what. It seems a bit clearer now.

I can’t remember the interview. I think it was with Martin. He was talking about Mowbray . It went along the the lines Darren won’t be seeing a lot of his family for the next 12 months. He will be travelling around Europe watching matches 7 days a week. 52 weeks a year.

12 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Who would pay even 50p to be bombarded with adverts “ doctors don’t want you to know about this amazing hack” or an interview with someone complaining their council has carpet has been damp for two years accompanied by the victim with exaggerated sad face pointing to a photo of a damp carpet.

• Haha 1

We've got some great footballing experience in a key position, something we haven't had for many years - I can't remember the last time tbh? It should make a huge difference.

I also like the ambition, talk is cheap and all that, but we've had years of hearing ''we're lucky to be competing with palace'' and ''we're grateful we're just in the PL' - so it's refreshing to hear the words 'win', and even Europe, no matter how crazily far away that seems right now.

That sort of talk will filter down to the players, to the fans etc and it'll breed confidence. We went into games over the last few years acting like we were just lucky to be there, let's see a change in that mindset now.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, manji said:

The board has been rebooted and everyone now has very specific jobs. I know some enjoy calling me a SR fanboy but my job enables me to have a lot of free time. As I’ve said before I even watched Solaks interviews. 
Incidentally Solak is always in conflict with the pro-Russian government. He is pro-west which goes against centuries of alliance with the two countries.

Yeah same, fortunately my work aren't aware of it.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, manji said:

I can’t remember the interview. I think it was with Martin. He was talking about Mowbray . It went along the the lines Darren won’t be seeing a lot of his family for the next 12 months. He will be travelling around Europe watching matches 7 days a week. 52 weeks a year.

Mowbray is the off field appointment I'm most excited about really. Hopefully he can unearth some gems

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m not advocating giving up on the manager yet, but clearly we can’t carry on conceding this many goals and being so predictable.

My reading of Sports Republic’s agenda is that Jason Wilcox is the key man, not Russell Martin.

I support the principle of a club having a clear philosophy that we stick to. It worked for a couple of years under Ralph and I hope it can work again under Wilcox (and hopefully Martin if he can adjust tactics to learn how to avoid being so open to counter-attack).

I think the lowest risk strategy would have been to appoint a Director of Football committed to the original high-press style of early Ralph, but I understand why they picked Wilcox and were willing to take time for the club’s whole footballing philosophy to change from one extreme to the other (especially as we expected a high turnover of players this summer no matter what).

I’m pretty sure that Sports Republic and Wilcox are now fully signed up to the Man City-lite possession style. If Martin fails and gets sacked, I’m pretty confident Wilcox will be trusted to find an alternative possession committed manager. I don’t think there’s any chance now of us going back to the original Ralph high press style or direct Nate-ball. Wilcox would pick another manager to fit the club’s new possession philosophy.

I think this is a good thing. We’ve seen how the alternative ends up (too many players incompatible with each other and a mess of a squad).

For what it’s worth, I think if Martin can adjust his ideas a bit on the holding midfielders and full backs and becomes a bit more pragmatic, we’ll be ok this season. If not, Wilcox will find us a possession style manager who (he thinks) can.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Simon3737 said:

I’m not advocating giving up on the manager yet, but clearly we can’t carry on conceding this many goals and being so predictable.

My reading of Sports Republic’s agenda is that Jason Wilcox is the key man, not Russell Martin.

I support the principle of a club having a clear philosophy that we stick to. It worked for a couple of years under Ralph and I hope it can work again under Wilcox (and hopefully Martin if he can adjust tactics to learn how to avoid being so open to counter-attack).

I think the lowest risk strategy would have been to appoint a Director of Football committed to the original high-press style of early Ralph, but I understand why they picked Wilcox and were willing to take time for the club’s whole footballing philosophy to change from one extreme to the other (especially as we expected a high turnover of players this summer no matter what).

I’m pretty sure that Sports Republic and Wilcox are now fully signed up to the Man City-lite possession style. If Martin fails and gets sacked, I’m pretty confident Wilcox will be trusted to find an alternative possession committed manager. I don’t think there’s any chance now of us going back to the original Ralph high press style or direct Nate-ball. Wilcox would pick another manager to fit the club’s new possession philosophy.

I think this is a good thing. We’ve seen how the alternative ends up (too many players incompatible with each other and a mess of a squad).

For what it’s worth, I think if Martin can adjust his ideas a bit on the holding midfielders and full backs and becomes a bit more pragmatic, we’ll be ok this season. If not, Wilcox will find us a possession style manager who (he thinks) can.

Excellent post.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Simon3737 said:

You have a lot of trust in Wilcox. This is the Wilcox who claimed we have a stable of good goalkeepers. This is the Wilcox who chose RM (allegedly). If he (RM) continues with his brainless tactics that allow other teams to walk through our midfield like a hot knife through butter, then Wilcox's judgement has to be seriously questioned. Yes he did well with the City academy, but that's different than being DOF. It's not like the warning signs weren't there from RM's previous job.

Of course RM may actually have been a Rasmus W. Ankersen choice (this is what I have suspected from the beginning), with Wilcox being used to publicly support the appointment for plausible deniability on Ankersen's part. I really hope that is the case, because if not, I have little confidence Wilcox will make the right choice after they sack RM.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I think this thread is worth a bump because there hasn't been much chat about JW since the two heavy defeats to Sunderland and Leicester (after which I commented that he probably wouldn't sleep easy) followed by two more losses. This worrying spell of course led to the current unbeaten run. JW seems content to stay in the background which is probably a good thing but it would be interesting to hear his views on the evolution of the team bearing in mind the long unbeaten run. It's got me wondering whether he has had much, if any, input into any tweaks in our set-up and style of play. RM is clear that they speak most if not every day.  JW strikes me as someone who invests 100% into improving the side and with his undoubted knowledge and enthusiasm coupled with a burning ambition he must be delighted at how we are performing. I'd love to see a fly-on-the-wall type film of his typical working week. It would be good to learn more about his overall role as, whatever influence he has, it is certainly paying dividends so I'm chuffed that we have Jason in our camp.

• Like 5