Jason Wilcox

SuperSAINT

So this guy has been City Academy Director since 2017 and was therefore Joe Shields previous boss when he was at City? Would I be right in thinking that is Joe shields joining was a coup (not that we ever got to see that justified), then this would be an even bigger coup?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

So this guy has been City Academy Director since 2017 and was therefore Joe Shields previous boss when he was at City? Would I be right in thinking that is Joe shields joining was a coup (not that we ever got to see that justified), then this would be an even bigger coup?

I'd say yes. Wilcox has done a bloody good job with their academy, that's for sure. 

• Like 5

DoF nothing. Get him out on that wing! 🙂

If Wilcox is aligned to the City methodologies, I do wonder how it works with the tactics we're moving to (assuming NJ is here for a while). But then I wonder how NJ approach managed to align during his interview to what we were doing. I have an ongoing, sinking feeling it was an alignment of delusions.

Perhaps Wilcox has seen past Pep, and into the future of HoofBall. 🙂

After our recent departures and form, it will just be nice to have a football person with some connection to success at the club.

This news just re-affirms how weird the decision to hire Nathan Jones was. We've bought talented young players, we originally hired a head of recruitment who had experience of bringing in young players and we are now after a director of football who's only jobs have been in Academy football. 

Nathan Jones doesn't seem to favour youth. He's just the odd one out. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

This news just re-affirms how weird the decision to hire Nathan Jones was. We've bought talented young players, we originally hired a head of recruitment who had experience of bringing in young players and we are now after a director of football who's only jobs have been in Academy football. 

Nathan Jones doesn't seem to favour youth. He's just the odd one out. 

Those from Welsh mining towns always were the odd ones out, or something.

1 hour ago, SaintZamboni said:

As much as I’m pleased to see this, it makes no sense.

Buying talented youngsters who’ve learned at city, hire DOF from city but have a manager who plays the opposite style of football…

The manager learnt his football playing for Yeovil and that still seems to be his style

53 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Such a weird club atm, on one side we want to be a free flowing “footballing” side. But then the first team play unsuccessful long ball shite. 

What is the plan meant to be ?! Do the club even know what they’re trying to do?! 

Despite all the BS it’s a club with no plan

You don’t sign a load of YHGTI kids from Man city schooled in total football and then give them a manager who is a poor man’s Dave Bassett, “get it long”. 

we seem to be a rudderless club obsessed by data rather than reality. Trying to be futurist but stuck in the past. 

maybe it’s too simplistic but for a club like us the best ever recipe has been a sprinkling of talented young players paired with a couple of solid pros added to that a few experienced players still with a bit to offer. Don’t try and reinvent the wheel just do what worked before 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Such a weird club atm, on one side we want to be a free flowing “footballing” side. But then the first team play unsuccessful long ball shite. 

What is the plan meant to be ?! Do the club even know what they’re trying to do?! 

I fear it's non football people looking at stats without any clue about how styles will actually integrate on the pitch. Buying kids schooled in proper football, then hiring a coach like Jones, then hiring a dof with an ethos that doesn't match the managers, is utterly mental. We're a basket case at the moment. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, egg said:

I fear it's non football people looking at stats without any clue about how styles will actually integrate on the pitch. Buying kids schooled in proper football, then hiring a coach like Jones, then hiring a dof with an ethos that doesn't match the managers, is utterly mental. We're a basket case at the moment. 

It’s like football manager players trying to run real club. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It’s like football manager players trying to run real club. 

Yep.

25 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

It's like some school boys have got the reins at the club. Absolute zig-zag policy with no clarity and too much conviction.

Yep. 

• Like 1

It does seem odd that we are basically trying to copy city’s/pep’s philosophy but more youth development focused (because we don’t have city cash) that we then didn’t appoint a manager who fits this style, you’d think we would have gone for a promising youth coach or former pep coach or Barca coach or something to fit the same style. As others above have said Jones doesn’t fit based on his past experience bar that he speaks Spanish. 

On 06/01/2023 at 21:18, Convict Colony said:

I dunno he's a northerner who likes the north. It might be a great career opportunity but I gonna guess this is a no from his wife.

Bloody hell! How big do you think England is? He can commute from Manchester and see the family at weekends. It's not as if he will last very long.

3 hours ago, tajjuk said:

It does seem odd that we are basically trying to copy city’s/pep’s philosophy but more youth development focused (because we don’t have city cash) that we then didn’t appoint a manager who fits this style, you’d think we would have gone for a promising youth coach or former pep coach or Barca coach or something to fit the same style. As others above have said Jones doesn’t fit based on his past experience bar that he speaks Spanish. 

This is the mega confusing thing for me. When we were going for the likes of Selles, Shields etc in the summer it suggested that we were after the top 'young' talent in all area's, not just playing staff.

Like you said, going for someone like Liverpools assistant would have made a bit more sense in terms of our approach. Jones just seems a really odd divation away. 

Excellent appointment. SR obviously not flavour of the month at the moment but a good sign to be able to make quality off field appointments. 

Shields was a good move hence he was stolen by Chelsea so soon.

Wilcox by all accounts has done a great job with the City academy, albeit well funded. Knows the workings of a successful multi club structure too.

When we sold Lovren to Liverpool he played like we hadn't given them the user manual.

Is this the guy who can unlock the full talent of our Man City crop, and other youngsters?

Though there will be potential for some lively debates between him and Jones, conversations that need to be had....