Jason Wilcox

SuperSAINT

5 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Based on who’s he’s worked with, he was under 18s manager when Viera was in charge of the 23s so there’s a link. Viera seems like a realistic managerial appointment for us imo. 

I think you might be closer than you know.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, derry said:

I think you might be closer than you know.

Bumped into Terry at the weekend and he told me that Dale had mentioned to you the snippet he heard from Neil at the laundrette.

Time will tell but Bryn told me Neil is usually spot on and Gary at the lodge can vouch for him as well.

Love to the family, Colin.

• 5 weeks later...

Nice to hear him stressing the importance of dressing room standards and making sure people respect the culture that the group wants to build. Also his bit on being transparent and honest with staff and making sure people are bought in to what's going on so that they're happier and more invested at work.

Sounds like we could do with a bit of that after the past year.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 6

Just now, CSA96 said:

Nice to hear him stressing the importance of dressing room standards and making sure people respect the culture that the group wants to build.

Sounds like we could do with a bit of that too.

Comes across really well, let's hope he can translate some of his experience into practice here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Probably worth posting this here too. Wilcox comes across really well IMO. Wonder how many more Man City academy players he'll try to bring over with him?

https://www.mancity.com/citytv/eds-academy/jason-wilcox-academy-director-farewell-interview-63821220

City will want some of them to get loans in the prem — but any others you would think we would have a tremendous chance of landing if we want them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Probably worth posting this here too. Wilcox comes across really well IMO. Wonder how many more Man City academy players he'll try to bring over with him?

https://www.mancity.com/citytv/eds-academy/jason-wilcox-academy-director-farewell-interview-63821220

Speaks very well. Come across as a very good guy as well. Very impressive. Lets hope he sorts out the shambles he is going to inherit.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

Speaks very well. Come across as a very good guy as well. Very impressive. Lets hope he sorts out the shambles he is going to inherit.

Yeah. They obviously think a lot of him.. I mean… who gives an academy director a farewell interview?

I wonder if there will be more Saints fans watching it than City..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, trousers said:

Positive vibes. Hopefully this permeates through the club. Certainly has an air of authority and trust about him. 

• Like 2

On 02/06/2023 at 12:43, Turkish said:

That's his job.... If he sorts the shambles out then he's done what's expected of him, if not....

Unfortunately football tends not to work like the rest of the world... Managers seem to bare the brunt of bad decision making above them.

• Like 1

Based on the fact that man city trusted wilcox for 10yrs and did not want him to go I have 100% faith he is the right man and most qualified one for the job to build something special here long term.

I expect there will be some initial frustrations (growing pains) but with wilcox I expect to see more youngsters who are ready come into the team in over the course of the next 5yrs and a strategic plan for the club, how we play and what players are needed to do so.

Also I liked something he said with his thinking which reminds me of what brendon mccullum has done with england shit show he inherited in the cricket.

They both want their players to always be brave and try to win even if that means a risk of losing. 

Over the last few years we've been stuck in this no mans land purgatory of going out and being conservative to keep it tight and then losing, hence our use of playstoppers rather than playmakers.

Found a podcast Wilcox was on 1.5yrs ago - gold dust podcast (on all platforms)

Just listened to it and its very very interesting and worth 45mins of your time if you want to know more about the man, his mentality and what he will bring to our club.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7949322-jason-wilcox-leading-learning-and-an-obsession-with-excellence

The bitcon performance guy he is bringing with him gets a shout out as well, seems like a really top leader and self reflective and not an ego maniac, empowering his team, focusing on what he is passionate about etc etc

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Based on the fact that man city trusted wilcox for 10yrs and did not want him to go I have 100% faith he is the right man and most qualified one for the job to build something special here long term.

I expect there will be some initial frustrations (growing pains) but with wilcox I expect to see more youngsters who are ready come into the team in over the course of the next 5yrs and a strategic plan for the club, how we play and what players are needed to do so.

Also I liked something he said with his thinking which reminds me of what brendon mccullum has done with england shit show he inherited in the cricket.

They both want their players to always be brave and try to win even if that means a risk of losing. 

Over the last few years we've been stuck in this no mans land purgatory of going out and being conservative to keep it tight and then losing, hence our use of playstoppers rather than playmakers.

Just listened to it and its very very interesting and worth 45mins of your time if you want to know more about the man, his mentality and what he will bring to our club.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7949322-jason-wilcox-leading-learning-and-an-obsession-with-excellence

The bitcon performance guy he is bringing with him gets a shout out as well, seems like a really top leader and self reflective and not an ego maniac, empowering his team, focusing on what he is passionate about etc etc

Thanks for sharing and I enjoyed listening. Jason Wilcox comes across extremely well as both a good person and someone who is dedicated to striving for excellence. Hopefully he will make a huge difference because this football club of ours desperately needs more inspirational  leaders with knowledge and passion for the game. I am excited to see what he can contribute and what he can achieve in terms of taking the club forward.

• Like 6

On 02/06/2023 at 10:48, trousers said:

Can’t help by being impressed by such an authoritative character at Academy level. I thought it was telling how connected he seemed to be with Pep and the first teams efforts, which of course is where the Academy’s work bears fruit and makes the real money. Also he didn’t forget to mention about the lads who had gone to other clubs to achieve success - a really nice touch and testament to the family feeling clearly at the club (which I believe has been re-built in our own Academy of late). I’m very hopeful that Jason is here for the long term…we desperately need a proper football man to lead football operations.

• Like 1

On 04/06/2023 at 07:58, Convict Colony said:

It’s an excellent interview. Listened to it a few weeks ago and thought he came across really well.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

😄 - i googled and couldn't find a start date.

I also can't quite believe the number of people getting their nickers in a twist over Martin having not started yet, whilst there is basically no fuss whatsoever on Wilcox still having not started - especially as his position is arguably far more important right now (whilst everyone is on leave and so many transfers need to happen!

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Anyone else concerned that he doesn't have the experience to oversee the type of rebuild we need? 

Much like that little bald fella last summer, he has little to no experience of building a squad at a senior level. As we've seen, the success rate of good players at u-23's becoming good players at first team is pretty low. 

We massively need some know how and experience to compliment our younger players. It's even been acknowledged by our own players that was the case last summer, yet the only links we seem to be getting (very limited links for that matter) are more young and inexperienced gambles. 

We really seem a right mess at the minute. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Anyone else concerned that he doesn't have the experience to oversee the type of rebuild we need? 

Much like that little bald fella last summer, he has little to no experience of building a squad at a senior level. As we've seen, the success rate of good players at u-23's becoming good players at first team is pretty low. 

We massively need some know how and experience to compliment our younger players. It's even been acknowledged by our own players that was the case last summer, yet the only links we seem to be getting (very limited links for that matter) are more young and inexperienced gambles. 

I think City are a good example to use, given that the success of their U23's is much higher than that of many other clubs around the world. Even players who haven't progressed through at City have gone on to become leading first team players in other top leagues, and then end up being transferred for mega money (Pedro Porro being an example).

I like the culture he built at City, and let's not put all transfer incomings on him - his role is strategic and overseeing all elements and building a culture, it's Mowbury who will be front and centre of player recruitment activities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Remember that Wilcox is not rhe Head of Recruitment, that is Darren Mowbray, who is experienced in that role.

I would actually say that rather than being a mess we seem to have been able to recruit well respected people into roles where they each have relevant experience.

It will take time to settle but Wilcox reassures me - he wouldn't have joined if he didn't believe in SR, and he knows what elite looks like.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Very impressive first interview from Wilcox. Clear vision and targets in place :)

Music to the ears. 'Alignment' may be the new buzz word but Ralph's playbook was introduced at all levels in the Club so there's nothing new there really. Singing from the same hymn sheet clearly is not the be-all and end-all of successful football management. Hopefully Jason Wilcox has nouse that can't be translated into words emanating from his many years along side Pep and his team. In the end it comes down to people and often individuals who just know the right way of doing things.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

24 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Decent, and as someone who has been around decent players and played at a high level, hopefully he will continue the clear out of the crap at the football department.

…and so say all of us but it won't be easy to move on players on lengthy contracts who have no offers from elsewhere. We can't just pay off those contracts.

Incidentally has anyone else noticed all the arms around shoulders love-ins going on with Prowsey, Sailsu and the coaching staff? Is that the beginning of the new process and Wilcox making sure everything possible is being done to persuade these two lads to stay? 

Agree

Good interview.

Also so impressed with Saints Training Ground.

Shame it's not possible to visit

When I turned out for the A & B teams many years ago we had to lap round the Dell Tues and Thurs night, play small sided games on the asphalt car park or in the smelly gym if you were lucky.

Also our gear was hand me down kit from a few years previous!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Very impressive first interview from Wilcox. Clear vision and targets in place :)

I dunno, it's a puff piece for the official site to get his name out there so people know he's supposed to be doing something.  All this talk of alignment - we were doing that under Ralph.  The example he gave - everyone is ambitious and wants to be in the premier league.  Well, shit, show me a club that doesn't have staff that wants that.  It's basically management bullshit bingo - there's no real detail in that interview.

I've quoted you but it's not really a dig.  The interview probably isn't the right vehicle to go into details that matter and I guess that's fair enough, but it's so anodyne that it's difficult to find a reaction either way.  Good luck to the fella though.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, revolution saint said:

I dunno, it's a puff piece for the official site to get his name out there so people know he's supposed to be doing something.  All this talk of alignment - we were doing that under Ralph.  The example he gave - everyone is ambitious and wants to be in the premier league.  Well, shit, show me a club that doesn't have staff that wants that.  It's basically management bullshit bingo - there's no real detail in that interview.

I've quoted you but it's not really a dig.  The interview probably isn't the right vehicle to go into details that matter and I guess that's fair enough, but it's so anodyne that it's difficult to find a reaction either way.  Good luck to the fella though.

Was it an alignment with Jones? A completely different style than across the club.

I've spent some time with "Big Jas" in the 90's, I remember he cooked a beautiful Beef Stroganoff, served with a fluffiest mash - akin to clouds, and peas - all this was washed down with some Red Wine - it was divine and I'm shocked he never went into catering, what a guy.

I know he will turn my club into a war machine capable of domination at the top level, we just need to let him "cook" as the kids say.

That's all i will say on the matter. 

• Haha 4
  • Confused 3

He speaks very well and comes across as a good guy, even though he does remind me a little bit of Lee Mack.

However the proof will be in a 12 months time, it's one thing to be successful at a club like City, massive budget, top players desperate to join and never want to leave, surrounded by world class facilities and coaches to a Saints model which is very different and with a lot of our top youngsters ending up at Chelsea these days not even the top club for attracting young talent in our own City. Also got to turn around this losing mentality and weird culture that we should be just be grateful to be in the premier league that's gone through the club the last 5 years or so. He's got a big job on his hands.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He speaks very well and comes across as a good guy, even though he does remind me a little bit of Lee Mack.

However the proof will be in a 12 months time, it's one thing to be successful at a club like City, massive budget, top players desperate to join and never want to leave, surrounded by world class facilities and coaches to a Saints model which is very different and with a lot of our top youngsters ending up at Chelsea these days not even the top club for attracting young talent in our own City. Also got to turn around this losing mentality and weird culture that we should be just be grateful to be in the premier league that's gone through the club the last 5 years or so. He's got a big job on his hands.

I think it will be interesting to see if something like the City project can translate to something with a smaller budget. Is it the alignment and the setup that gives you the success or is it the endless amounts of cash? Guess we will find out. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yes, pretty much my take, but a genuine football man so we have hope.  The bit that got my attention was him saying that he wants a rapid promotion and Saints established as a solid top ten Premier League club. Proof in the pudding and all that but a great deal better than the non-competitive sports day / lucky to participate bollo we've had to endure from the Boardroom in our recent history. 

• Like 3