Jason Wilcox

SuperSAINT

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Has it been sucessful though? Sucess will be defined on if we gain promotion. 

Had Wilcox been able to attract his number 1 target (Enzo), we may well be sitting top of the table and I'd agree. He didn't though and we'll never know how it would have (or indeed may continue to) pan out. 

For me, I'd be judging him next season if we fail to go up - what can he produce or if we do go up, can he keep us up. 

So unsuccessful that only Man Utd would be interested in our Jase...🙄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, franniesTache said:

What i find interesting is that when Danny Rohl left you heard shedload of noise from inside the club about how the wrong person was going. When Paul Mitchell left the noises from the club were of massive panic. When Joe Shields started talking to Chelsea there was real anger behind the scenes, but with Wilcox the noises seem to mostly be a case of "we haven't heard about this and a shrug".

That reaction alone makes me not as worried as other people about him going.

one wonders why they aren't all over Ross Wilson......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Turkish said:

one wonders why they aren't all over Ross Wilson......

What goes unsaid is as important as what is said right? If only our fans could learn to read between the lines with what the club puts out into the public they'd see so much closer to the truth

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, franniesTache said:

What goes unsaid is as important as what is said right? If only our fans could learn to read between the lines with what the club puts out into the public they'd see so much closer to the truth

We are signing Mbappe ?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, manji said:

Wilcox hasn’t been approached. Ratcliffe only got the green light to takeover on Wednesday. I keep a close eye on Twitter when this sort of thing happens , not for sources but punters reaction. It was was full of  constantly reports rehashes of the same story. United fans were posting lists of the “new” set up Answorth, Wilcox, Brightons Sam Jewel , Sir Dave Brailsford, Omar Berrada is new CEO ( that ones true ) They were already predicting who they were going to sign even Mbappe 🙄bearing a week ago they were predicting the Ratcliffe takeover was off.                                                                     I don’t doubt United have there lists. United not being helped by Chelsea trying to restructure their set up.

Might be trying to convince myself but I’m not sure Wilcox will go . He’s aware we have a robust plan in place if we get promoted and also if we don’t get promoted. 
Don’t doubt this will make some on here hope Wilcox go even more. 

A robust plan to be part of getting a smallish provincial club back to being a midtable premier league club or part of a robust plan to be part of taking one of the worlds biggest clubs back to being ones of the worlds biggest clubs. Hmmm, let me think about that for a second.....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

It says conversations have taken place.Hope they went through the correct channels because. as far as I am aware, there's been nothing official from SFC. Still, it's another of the big greedy clubs so why should they play by the rules.

9 minutes ago, saintant said:

It says conversations have taken place.Hope they went through the correct channels because. as far as I am aware, there's been nothing official from SFC. Still, it's another of the big greedy clubs so why should they play by the rules.

It seems we might not have gone through the correct channels getting RM. tis teh way of the world

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Man U fans thinking wilcox will be head of academy which was essentially what he was at city so not sure if that is correct and if it is whats the appeal more so than at city.

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 15.10.59.png

You've left the bottom three tiers off, culminating in Martin Semmens as Chief Fluffer and Head of Biscuits...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, unless I've got my chronology wrong, either Russell was being economic with the truth at yesterday's press conference, if he knew about the reported "conversations" that had already taken place between Wilcox and Man Utd, or he genuinely hadn't been told and will therefore be completely pissed off given he said he would have hoped Wilcox would've mentioned it to him beforehand...?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

A robust plan to be part of getting a smallish provincial club back to being a midtable premier league club or part of a robust plan to be part of taking one of the worlds biggest clubs back to being ones of the worlds biggest clubs. Hmmm, let me think about that for a second.....

Trust me I get what you are saying. I’ve been very assertive in the past with some of my comments and sources. This one has blindsided me and I even mentioned earlier I maybe fooling myself. 

16 hours ago, saintant said:

We keep having these kind of comments. In the football world, all clubs make informal approaches to people they want, whether players, managers, execs. If there's interest, then the formal approach gets made. The suggestion that it only happens to us, and that we don't do it, is plain wrong...Martin and his guys being a case in point. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, trousers said:

So, unless I've got my chronology wrong, either Russell was being economic with the truth at yesterday's press conference, if he knew about the reported "conversations" that had already taken place between Wilcox and Man Utd, or he genuinely hadn't been told and will therefore be completely pissed off given he said he would have hoped Wilcox would've mentioned it to him beforehand...?

Martin wouldn't necessarily know. Why would Wilcox tell anyone about talks he may be having? He'll want to keep his powder dry at saints, and only say he's going if he is. Nothing unusual about that, and the golden rule in this sort of situation is never reveal your plans until they're concrete. He may go, he may not, but in Willcox's shows I'd say nowt to nobody until I have a firm offer and have made a decision to take it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, egg said:

We keep having these kind of comments. In the football world, all clubs make informal approaches to people they want, whether players, managers, execs. If there's interest, then the formal approach gets made. The suggestion that it only happens to us, and that we don't do it, is plain wrong...Martin and his guys being a case in point. 

Exactly.

If the club came out yesterday and plastered all over their social media "Southampton Football Club would like to annouce have had an approach from Manchester United about aquiring the services of Jason Wilcox" would that be better?

Or would the people moaning about unofficial/ secret approaches just flip over to moaning about how Saints are spineless and rolled over immediately?

This is just the shit that happens. I'd ignore Martin's comments as well - that's what he has been told to say (or he doesnt actually know because it's not really any of his business). If he goes, he goes. Either way he can't work for MUFC until at least the summer, and it won't impact our season in any meaningful way, so don't worry about it.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Man U fans thinking wilcox will be head of academy which was essentially what he was at city so not sure if that is correct and if it is whats the appeal more so than at city.

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 15.10.59.png

He’ll be technical director so a reduction in responsibility to what he has now but at a much bigger club. I’ll be amazed if he doesn’t go.

So who can we ‘steal’ that can carry on the turnaround at Saints?

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Alfie seems to have forgot his own massive "at the moment" caveat that he himself put out there originally. 

Tend to think Erwin is right in his post above. He's obviously been sounded out and it's down to whether United decide to make an official approach or not.

1 hour ago, egg said:

Martin wouldn't necessarily know. Why would Wilcox tell anyone about talks he may be having?

I'm inclined to agree with you, I was just echoing what Martin said himself, i.e. that he would be disappointed if Wilcox hadn't mentioned anything to him.

Eddie Howe has expressed his fears over Dan Ashworth’s access to Newcastle’s transfer secrets - and wants his likely defection to Manchester United resolved imminently.

In what is an extraordinary situation, the sporting director was still scheduled to lead planning meetings with first-team scouts on Friday, despite Howe revealing Ashworth has not said he wants to stay at the club this week. 

He also said it was the job of ‘someone above me’ to answer whether the 52-year-old should still be in the building amid links to their Premier League rivals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Exactly.

If the club came out yesterday and plastered all over their social media "Southampton Football Club would like to annouce have had an approach from Manchester United about aquiring the services of Jason Wilcox" would that be better?

Or would the people moaning about unofficial/ secret approaches just flip over to moaning about how Saints are spineless and rolled over immediately?

This is just the shit that happens. I'd ignore Martin's comments as well - that's what he has been told to say (or he doesnt actually know because it's not really any of his business). If he goes, he goes. Either way he can't work for MUFC until at least the summer, and it won't impact our season in any meaningful way, so don't worry about it.

No but it might impact our recruitment in the summer if we have no DoF

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, manji said:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/southampton-issue-fresh-response-to-manchester-united-s-interest-in-jason-wilcox/ar-BB1iqfxX

Really doesn’t look like it’s happening. RM spoke directly to Jason Wilcox who told him there’s nothing in it

There won't be anything in it until there is an official approach, but I think it's pretty clear that there have been some informal chats to gauge interest.

We'll see what happens.

8 minutes ago, manji said:

Maybe 

Pretty sure you told us with some authority that reports linking us with Nathan Jones as our new manager was clueless media speculation and wide of the matk.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Two scumbags here, the media Man united knobhead who sanctioned this amateurish media brief. Then the coont Ornstein sucking the latters plums and putting it out just before the West Brom presser started.  What’s Sibley doing in response ?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Two scumbags here, the media Man united knobhead who sanctioned this amateurish media brief. Then the coont Ornstein sucking the latters plums and putting it out just before the West Brom presser started.  What’s Sibley doing in response ?

Related but not the cause, but interestingly enough I have noticed Henry Winter become Man U's premier mouthpiece over the last year, he's really descredited himself as a independent journo in my eyes, he sucks off anything related to Man U, he's probably working on a story at the moment how Marcus Rashford getting parking tickets for parking on pavements is racist.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

There won't be anything in it until there is an official approach, but I think it's pretty clear that there have been some informal chats to gauge interest.

We'll see what happens.

I think we all know what happens in reality - it just hasn't progressed enough to be confirmed yet.

And also no guarantee we would have a replacement for the summer because these kind of roles inevitably involve someone moving from another club, with notice periods due to the nature of the role - just like Wilcox served before joining and Crocker served before leaving.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Pretty sure you told us with some authority that reports linking us with Nathan Jones as our new manager was clueless media speculation and wide of the matk.

Jeez I couldn’t remember what you posted lasted week. Anyway that’s why I said “ maybe “ and admitted this has blindsided me. I’m just posting my thoughts.

4 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

That’s my opinion. 

39 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Would be hugely disappointed to lose Wilcox to be honest. Think he has been highly influential in repairing the fabric of the club over the last year or so. A difficult man to replace.

Not too worried myself unless he was to target russ as well ..

we have still been going for a lot of ex city under him(understandable) but we where doing this pre Wilcox anyway 

martin gets all the credit for me 

On 17/02/2024 at 09:37, Doctoroncall said:

He’ll be technical director so a reduction in responsibility to what he has now but at a much bigger club. I’ll be amazed if he doesn’t go.

So who can we ‘steal’ that can carry on the turnaround at Saints?

He was at a much bigger club before he joined us though.  Doesn’t make much sense to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

He was at a much bigger club before he joined us though.  Doesn’t make much sense to me.

He reached Academy Director at City and had been there a fair while. He wanted to go beyond the academy level but no opportunity at City.