Jason Wilcox

SuperSAINT

Inevitable perhaps, and watching our partial decline after the record-breaking run was broken may have hastened his departure, but

- along with the mammoth salary that Radcliffe will approve for him it's quite likely that the result was a foregone conclusion.

If he's lucky.. he may not have sold his house in Manchester yet. 

For those of us who may be looking for revenge.  How about promotion for Saints and doing the double over United next season ?

We can only hope that those who worked alongside him for the last 9 months were taking notes, as he is / was someone who is successful in his field.

Edited by david in sweden
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Hmm, maybe this was all on Wilcox then. I don't believe you can go into a club as a new regime and demand a specific style of play from the get go, you have to work with what you've got and then evolve. This nonsense about teams becoming a possession based 'over night' is propaganda. That sort of talk rings alarm bells for me.

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

You’ve got to laugh  Wilcocks telling a bloke whose proved himself a half decent manager, how he’s going to play. Who are these fucking chancers that are becoming  hipster DoF’s.  If they sign the players & dictate the tactics then they’re the fucking manager. It seems to me they want the power but not the responsibility. The bottom line is he would have to start at Hartlepools or some other outpost and they don’t want to put the hard yards in. Fucking blaggers. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

The arrogance of this bloke, who’s previous experience is working with Kids and 6 months at a championship side, to go into a club like united and just demand they play a certain way. Dickhead. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You’ve got to laugh  Wilcocks telling a bloke whose proved himself a half decent manager, how he’s going to play. Who are these fucking chancers that are becoming  hipster DoF’s.  If they sign the players & dictate the tactics then they’re the fucking manager. It seems to me they want the power but not the responsibility. The bottom line is he would have to start at Hartlepools or some other outpost and they don’t want to put the hard yards in. Fucking blaggers. 

When we first had Directors of Football in this country it was a more experienced old hand providing guidance to a younger manager ( Lawrie for Bally perhaps, and before that Ted Bates for Lawrie, although he’d probably been horrified at such a title). 

Now it’s some fucker in a sharp suit, or skinny jeans, after a spell coaching the U12’s, armed with a laptop, dictating to a track suited (manager) head coach.

The DoF can play at beng the manager, without facing the flak, that goes with it. If it goes tits up, then sack the head coach. 

Bring back Sir Clive. 

• Like 1

June 21, 2023

Southampton's chairman Henrik Kraft said Martin was the 'stand-out candidate' in their recruitment process.

'We are extremely excited to welcome Russell to Southampton,' Kraft said.

'Russell was the stand-out candidate throughout our recruitment process and we are confident his strong track record, alongside the experienced leadership of our new Director of Football, Jason Wilcox, will deliver great results.'

Wilcox added: 'Russell has shown fantastic qualities in his managerial career so far and is someone who we believe will thrive in the great environment we have here at Southampton.

'He is a fantastic fit for what we are trying to achieve, with a strong record of developing and nurturing young, talented players to fulfill their potential and deliver results on the pitch.

What a bunch of morons.

• Like 5

It's probably not too much of a stretch to say most football managers have to answer to the owners in some shape or form, and it's been that way for generations. I'm sure Brian Clough had plenty to say about boardroom interference in his day. Nowadays there's a bit of extra separation from the suits. Ratcliffe has decided he wants to put his own stamp on things so he's brought Wilcox to be his puppet and we've got some pocket money out of it, no doubt to be spent on whoever's next in line from Man City's academy conveyor belt in the summer. Katharina had Les Reed and didn't we do well with him. Maybe see if we can prise him away from Wrexham and get him back here. I want to see exciting, attacking football, taking the game to our opponents by playing a high-intensity game. And he certainly knows how to achieve it. Let's bring him home. Dragan and Rasmus need to get it done, and preferably before the playoffs so we can get our new manager bounce at just the right moment.

Edited by Ted Bates Statue
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

The United website paints a different picture and their story about the meeting between the two has ten Hag saying that they are behind schedule, in what I presume is the summer transfer negotiations.

If Nixon's story (about an instruction on a change of playing style) is true, then Ten Hags days seemed numbered. If he has coached the players to play one way (not a possession-based game) and then suddenly changes at the drop of the new owners and Wilcox's hat, he's not going to look credible to the players. Better to bring a new guy in who believes in that method, like RM.   

23 minutes ago, Chez said:

The United website paints a different picture and their story about the meeting between the two has ten Hag saying that they are behind schedule, in what I presume is the summer transfer negotiations.

If Nixon's story (about an instruction on a change of playing style) is true, then Ten Hags days seemed numbered. If he has coached the players to play one way (not a possession-based game) and then suddenly changes at the drop of the new owners and Wilcox's hat, he's not going to look credible to the players. Better to bring a new guy in who believes in that method, like RM.   

Imagine the uproar if Utd appoint Russell in the summer.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

What a bunch of morons.

Problem is for them he kinda did fit the bill ., let’s be honest since Cortese we have had mainly a bunch of new age hipster types in charge who are absolutely about bringing propaganda football and thinking they have some new age plans ..

much prefer having a guy like cortese in charge who is cracking heads to get results 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Problem is for them he kinda did fit the bill ., let’s be honest since Cortese we have had mainly a bunch of new age hipster types in charge who are absolutely about bringing propaganda football and thinking they have some new age plans ..

much prefer having a guy like cortese in charge who is cracking heads to get results 

I’ve no idea what this is supposed to mean and people keep saying it. We’ve played a variety of different styles since Cortese left, from the old school, simple Hughes and Jones types to Ralph’s high press and Martin’s possession based game. None of these are exactly revolutionary, Martin is only playing the same philosophy that won Spain a bunch of trophies 15 years ago.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’ve no idea what this is supposed to mean and people keep saying it. We’ve played a variety of different styles since Cortese left, from the old school, simple Hughes and Jones types to Ralph’s high press and Martin’s possession based game. None of these are exactly revolutionary, Martin is only playing the same philosophy that won Spain a bunch of trophies 15 years ago.

Comes from the same garbage bin as "all the managers I don't like are just yes-men".

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

so Corteses vision of champions league football in our newly expanded 50,000 capacity Cortese dome with a team full of academy graduates playing expansive football under a latin manager wasn't the slighest bit hipster?? 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

i like the idea that Les Reed and Ralph Kruger were new age hipsters lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

BREAKING: Southampton part ways with Les Reed

19 hours ago, Dman said:

The arrogance of this bloke, who’s previous experience is working with Kids and 6 months at a championship side, to go into a club like united and just demand they play a certain way. Dickhead. 

Easy to see now what Rasmus saw in him, they are like two peas in a pod.

• Like 1

Just so I’m clear, what does being a hipster actually mean in this context, according to the Saintsweb intelligentsia?

I like the suggestion upthread that wearing jeans and/ or a suit, and owning a laptop, is at the dangerous cutting edge of innovation and should therefore be scorned and discarded as new-fangled witchcraft. Absolutely amazing 

Leicester fans were critical of their Manager for playing tippy tappy football and missing loads of chances.

They were far more direct than us on Tuesday whilst we went more direct with Baz Ball missing yet got slaughtered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

so Corteses vision of champions league football in our newly expanded 50,000 capacity Cortese dome with a team full of academy graduates playing expansive football under a latin manager wasn't the slighest bit hipster?? 

Didn't Cortese insist on taking bespoke bedsheets to our hotels?

And "We don't want the newspapers to get photographers take pictures at our home matches anymore" is just about the most new age hipster load of old shit anyone could ever think up.

Edited by CB Fry

Also, I would have enjoyed us finishing seventh, then sixth, then eighth in Premier League but the whole thing was more new age than a joss stick exhibition. Utterly sickening all of it.

Edited by CB Fry

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

It’s not just that it’s the obsession with city youth players etc too .. in choosing Martin we went for possession over results .. he’s done exactly what was on the tin when selecting him 

25 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

It’s not just that it’s the obsession with city youth players etc too .. in choosing Martin we went for possession over results .. he’s done exactly what was on the tin when selecting him 

‘Results’ isn’t a style of football. I’ve no idea why anyone would think we prioritised a particular style over actually winning games. We thought we would succeed playing the way we did, it’s that simple. We weren’t wrong as such, it’s simply that the players and the manager who implemented that style didn’t get it right.

We don’t have an obsession with City youth players either, we hired Shields and Wilcox, who both have a strong link to their academy, and went with the highest rated prospects they knew from their previous employment, with mixed results.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Oh, I get it now. The problem is Russell Martin is sending them out to not win.

Obvious really when you, like, think about it.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Didn't Cortese insist on taking bespoke bedsheets to our hotels?

And "We don't want the newspapers to get photographers take pictures at our home matches anymore" is just about the most new age hipster load of old shit anyone could ever think up.

Yes he did and mattresses I believe 

his banning of the press was almost as funny as going back to them with him tail between his legs when they would use the clubs name referring to us as south coast club. Plus a sponsorship deal with the biggest recruitment company in chillworth was as hipster as it comes  

Edited by Turkish