Jason Wilcox

SuperSAINT

We’ve just been embarrassed by a team in League One last season. Considering the resources he’s had to work with for a Championship team, heads should be rolling that we’re not in the automatic promotion places. Really he should have been sacked anyway for such a failure. 

To many fans falling for some smart answers at a fans forum, but the results that matter and the ones on the pitch, and they haven’t been good enough.

Failing upwards though and I’m sure heI’ll continue to be a complete disaster at Man Utd. Good riddance and now we need to get Ankersen out next.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

We're not really having a great deal of luck with these roles are we? Not picking exactly loyal people, Shields first and now this guy.

More question marks over SR's decision making for me. God knows what they'll do next.

• Like 3

Shields was wank. Has made two good signings at both clubs worked for amongst a load of shite in Lavia and Palmer and both he knew from City.

Wilcox? Said all the right things in the media, but was Martin the best managerial appointment we could have made in the summer? Why did all of our transfer budget for the season go on a crocked striker from Sunderland and youngster from City, neither of which have contributed anything to the first team this season? Certainly question marks over him as well.

Lets now hope it's third time lucky and lets hope we don't try the Rasmus Ankersen experiment again.

Arsehole made us wait while he left Manchester City amicably while wanting to shoot off as soon as United comes calling. Twerks for the Manchester clubs. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nemi said:

We’ve just been embarrassed by a team in League One last season. Considering the resources he’s had to work with for a Championship team, heads should be rolling that we’re not in the automatic promotion places. Really he should have been sacked anyway for such a failure. 

To many fans falling for some smart answers at a fans forum, but the results that matter and the ones on the pitch, and they haven’t been good enough.

Failing upwards though and I’m sure heI’ll continue to be a complete disaster at Man Utd. Good riddance and now we need to get Ankersen out next.

I don't think it's fair to say we've been embarrassed as you put it. That's totally downplaying Ipswich who have been unbelievable this season, their achievements should not be discredited. I'm sure WHU fans said the same about us back in 2011, but it wouldn't have been fair or right.

We played well tonight though, so we weren't embarrassed - just the same old issues of having a GK who doesn't save goals.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think it's fair to say we've been embarrassed as you put it. That's totally downplaying Ipswich who have been unbelievable this season, their achievements should not be discredited. I'm sure WHU fans said the same about us back in 2011, but it wouldn't have been fair or right.

We played well tonight though, so we weren't embarrassed - just the same old issues of having a GK who doesn't save goals.

That’s missing the point. What is embarrassing is that no matter how well we performed today, every single Saints fan saw this loss coming, and even more embarrassingly we all saw the manner of the loss coming from a mile off.

Its embarrassing that even in the first half when we’re well on top, we’re all predicting which substitution will fuck it for us and lo and behold…

It’s embarrassing that a squad with such quality that they can outplay an outstanding Ipswich team like that, yet still collapse and blow it today, and numerous other times, and against teams with far less quality than what we’ve seen today.

It’s embarrassing that the issues are so blatant that you managed to summarize it in a sentence yet this so-called “star” director of football, couldn’t see it.

The performance today only makes the whole situation so much more embarrassing - because despite all the talent and resources we clearly posses, Ipswich are heading to the Premier League, and we are not.

Edited by Nemi
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We're not really having a great deal of luck with these roles are we? Not picking exactly loyal people, Shields first and now this guy.

More question marks over SR's decision making for me. God knows what they'll do next.

Not sure this is SR’s fault tbh. Convinced the bloke to drop down for a much more important and involved role, with the expectation of it being a long term project. He’s jumped to be with his old mate from City, with a lesser responsibility. The food chain we’re in unfortunately. Even moneybags Newcastle can’t keep their staff.

I’d rather they push the boat out for good people, then settle for mediocrity and appoint people who no-one would be interested in poaching.

Edited by ErwinK1961
  • Like 10

20 minutes ago, Block 5 said:

Quite a few posters seem to be glad Wilcox is off. 

Who would they like to see come in as his replacement? 

I think we should try to find a like for like replacement, that is a self serving disloyal snake, make it 3 from 3.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Not sure this is SR’s fault tbh. Convinced the bloke to drop down for a much more important and involved role, with the expectation of it being a long term project. He’s jumped to be with his old mate from City, with a lesser responsibility. The food chain we’re in unfortunately. Even moneybags Newcastle can’t keep their staff.

I’d rather they push the boat out for good people, then settle for mediocrity and appoint people who no-one would be interested in poaching.

I appreciate that's the chain we're in, but he's only just got the job and you'd think we'd have sounded him out a bit more before giving him the brief of how to develop us over the next 5 years. 

I'm very sceptical of SR's decisions because none of them have gone right yet, and they've been in charge for quite some time now.

• Like 3

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I appreciate that's the chain we're in, but he's only just got the job and you'd think we'd have sounded him out a bit more before giving him the brief of how to develop us over the next 5 years. 

I'm very sceptical of SR's decisions because none of them have gone right yet, and they've been in charge for quite some time now.

It’s Man Utd though.  I’m gutted he’s going, but I can see why he is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I think we should try to find a like for like replacement, that is a self serving disloyal snake, make it 3 from 3.

Unfortunately its where we are in the footballing food chain. Once clubs like Chelsea and United come knocking, theres no chance in holding onto them. Not overly bothered in him leaving as the recruitment has been average. If we had've signed a striker who wasnt crocked, the table would be looking different right now. Its more the timing thats annoying, more shit on the shovel when we've enough already

Edited by woodsaint1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

It’s Man Utd though.  I’m gutted he’s going, but I can see why he is.

I'm not so sure he's such a big loss. He naturally had the link with Man City and we exploited that to the fore. I'd imagine we'll still have that link if we want to use it, and given where he's gone, we can still use that connection. But who else did he bring in? He can fuck off and we can find someone else with different connections.

Does anyone really care about a decking chief executive? He's done a solid job getting good money for lots of our players but he's also been at least partially responsible for sanctioning the signing of Ross Stewart which was a ridiculous move and Shea Charles who was the top championship signing who can't get in the team. 

I don't think we will go up this year so I'm sure we can get someone who can do a decentish job and help us to go again next year. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Does anyone really care about a decking chief executive? He's done a solid job getting good money for lots of our players but he's also been at least partially responsible for sanctioning the signing of Ross Stewart which was a ridiculous move and Shea Charles who was the top championship signing who can't get in the team. 

I don't think we will go up this year so I'm sure we can get someone who can do a decentish job and help us to go again next year. 

I don't think he has proven himself one way or another yet in regards to the job he has done for a little less than a year.

The most negative is the lack of stability, the only reason I am a little annoyed.

The positive is that we will get in somebody else who are not so intent on making us a copy of City, and might put different pressure on Martin (and may want his own man in as manager soon).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morse said:

Not in the slightest be bothered. Made more screw ups the successes.  

Most notably Russell Martin. Although I still think Ankersen was the driving force behind the scenes for that terrible choice of a poor hipster manager.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bugenhagen said:

I don't think he has proven himself one way or another yet in regards to the job he has done for a little less than a year.

Might want to ask Chelsea. Certainly done a good number on them 🤣

• Haha 1

On 30/03/2024 at 22:21, wild-saint said:

So with Wilcox on his way to United I have to ask the question why do they want him? 

He sanctioned the signing of a crocked striker and failed to deliver a replacement in January when it was clear that we needed a decent number 9 to push on for auto's. That's a major cock up. 

He is clearly the man behind the implementation of possession football and is understandably backing Martin to the hilt. Not sure i want to watch another season of painfully slow football with Martin at the helm and slightly lower grade players trying to piss about with the ball at the back.

So will the new man back RM next season If we fail to gain promotion?

I see it’s finally out then. It’s been over a week since it was confirmed strange that it’s finally broken today on our Biggest game of the season.

personally I think we are best with him gone and we can come up with a workable plan to get us out of this league

• Like 1

He is obviously very good at what he does hence being valued by clubs who could pretty mu h go and get anybody.

Understand some fans just focus on specific recent results but a lot of the scope of a role like this is not so well defined and in many ways the benefits of the work are in the future e.g scouting networks, academy restructure etc.

He has effectively set the SR football vision, brought in lots of new people and doubtless done a lot behind the scenes that we will never know of. 

So reducing it to he sanctioned Ross Stewart so he is shit etc is pretty laughable. He is clearly very good at his job, it was a coup to get him in the first place and his departure leaves us short of senior off field footballing expertise at a critical time of planning and when we could really use some consistency and long term planning. A significant blow, surely?

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

I see it’s finally out then. It’s been over a week since it was confirmed strange that it’s finally broken today on our Biggest game of the season.

personally I think we are best with him gone and we can come up with a workable plan to get us out of this league

Staplewood’s pavillion building is a small space and the manager’s office is pretty much next to where Wilcox would’ve been, and the management and players eating area is also where the leadership eats. The idea that there be a close working relationship between manager, coaches and JW isn’t far fetched, and that Wilcox would have been around the players too and they are feeling the potential loss isn’t hard to imagine. Players are paid well but they are human and they’ll know that change is coming and that’s unsettling. It’s a big shame. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Nope, couldn't give a flying fuck.  He's another bullshit merchant who will bang on about alignment and long term projects to deflect from results.  His job was to get us promoted and admittedly we could still do it but pretty unlikely.  He'll suit Man United - they want results and instead he'll give them a project and tell them to be patient.  As you say, he's got the big calls wrong.

On a personal level he's obviously got no integrity (that's assuming he has resigned), he must have spent the summer trying to persuade players like KWP to stay and the moment he gets a sniff of a decent job he can't even be arsed to stay till the end of the season.  Yeah, he can do one.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Dusic said:

He is obviously very good at what he does hence being valued by clubs who could pretty mu h go and get anybody.

Understand some fans just focus on specific recent results but a lot of the scope of a role like this is not so well defined and in many ways the benefits of the work are in the future e.g scouting networks, academy restructure etc.

He has effectively set the SR football vision, brought in lots of new people and doubtless done a lot behind the scenes that we will never know of. 

So reducing it to he sanctioned Ross Stewart so he is shit etc is pretty laughable. He is clearly very good at his job, it was a coup to get him in the first place and his departure leaves us short of senior off field footballing expertise at a critical time of planning and when we could really use some consistency and long term planning. A significant blow, surely?

100%.

People downplaying the importance of this don’t understand what he has done and what the role involves. This leaves us massively behind the 8ball going into next season.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Yep, exactly this. Like you say the people who believe he was just involved in Stewart and Charles are daft, anything Wilcox was going to do would be felt over a longer term period. It's daft to say that as we signed an injured striker he's failed.

'If' we fail to go up then the coming summer will be a greater upheaval than the last, we will lose an entire 11. I'd have hoped a DoF in place for the last 12 months would have had plans in place to navigate that, but now we potentially go into this massive summer of change with zero football leadership at the top. Players leaving from all doors and zero football structure in place to support any sort of evolution.

It's a recipe for disaster really. Rudderless springs to mind.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Yep, exactly this. Like you say the people who believe he was just involved in Stewart and Charles are daft, anything Wilcox was going to do would be felt over a longer term period. It's daft to say that as we signed an injured striker he's failed.

'If' we fail to go up then the coming summer will be a greater upheaval than the last, we will lose an entire 11. I'd have hoped a DoF in place for the last 12 months would have had plans in place to navigate that, but now we potentially go into this massive summer of change with zero football leadership at the top.

It's a recipe for disaster really. Rudderless springs to mind.

It's pretty simple, first and foremost his job was to get us promoted - that was his remit and let's not forget SR wanted to win the league, not just get promoted.  We're a decent club with parachute payments, a decent squad for this level and better resources than most.  He masterminded the transfer policies, he picked the manager and with something like 8 or 9 games left we're pretty much out of the automatic promotion picture.  That's a big fat failure.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

100%.

People downplaying the importance of this don’t understand what he has done and what the role involves. This leaves us massively behind the 8ball going into next season.

Does the role involve appointing a fucking nothing manager who has never achieved anything anywhere except a couple of sputtering mid table finishes in L1 and the Championship?

Does the role involve employing a manager with a clear track record of dreadful defensive performances, and of teams conceding shitloads of goals?

Does the role involve spunking millions on a crocked centre forward and spunking even more millions on a young midfielder who hardly ever plays?

Does the role involve pompously lecturing the fans forum about how our brilliant goalkeeper is and how he will be in the team of the season by the end of it?

Yeah, it's looking like we will be "behind the eight ball" next summer because of the shit this Wilcox has left us in. We're a play off fluke away from redemption but it doesn't feel likely.

Off you go back up north Jason and thanks for pretty much nothing.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Does the role involve appointing a fucking nothing manager who has never achieved anything anywhere except a couple of sputtering mid table finishes in L1 and the Championship?

Does the role involve employing a manager with a clear track record of dreadful defensive performances, and of teams conceding shitloads of goals?

Does the role involve spunking millions on a crocked centre forward and spunking even more millions on a young midfielder who hardly ever plays?

Does the role involve pompously lecturing the fans forum about how our brilliant goalkeeper is and how he will be in the team of the season by the end of it?

Yeah, it's looking like we will be "behind the eight ball" next summer because of the shit this Wilcox has left us in. We're a play off fluke away from redemption but it doesn't feel likely.

Off you go back up north Jason and thanks for pretty much nothing.

Wow, you're grumpy tonight Mr Fry.  But at the same time, hard to disagree with what you have said!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dusic said:

His job was to create a football structure that gets us out of this league and put us on a sustainable footing to be able to survive and thrive when we get there.

Here is what we he has achieved in his time here-

1. Failed to recruit a manager that is capable of delivering automatic promotion (IMO of course). Martin allegedly wasnt his first choice so didn’t manage to sell his ideas to his first choice.

2. ignored the need for a striker and sanctioning the purchase of a striker who had 2 serious injuries in the previous 9 months.

3. Wasting  £10m on a kid who had barely played any first team football.

4. Implementing a style of football not suited to the league without the required investment in suitable players.

5. failed to address the obvious gaps in the squad in January and then recruiting players not particularly needed.

6. Wasted transfer money in January on players (as good as Brooks is) who weren’t particularly needed. Armstrong played his football as a wide forward this season. Rothwell having nothing when don’t have the ball.

So what specifically has he done behind the scenes other than seemingly ignoring the key short term requirements of the job? 

Clearly long term planning doesn’t include his own integrity as part of his skill set.

no it’s not ideal that we are left with out someone with off field planning expertise a month away from the end of the season. The only thing I agree with in your post. 

I don’t even need to harp on about his finals choice of manager who has built a team that has delivered the same result as every single other team that he has built. Easy on the eye but soft as fucking shyte. 

If he fails in the playoffs then as predicted next season we will likely see more of the same with worse players as the remaining talent exits the club and the others return to their parent clubs.

Edited by wild-saint
Additional rants need to be added
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

His job was to create a football structure that gets us out of this league and put us on a sustainable footing to be able to survive and thrive when we get there.

Here is what we he has achieved in his time here-

1. Failed to recruit a manager that is capable of delivering automatic promotion (IMO of course). Martin allegedly wasnt his first choice so didn’t manage to sell his ideas to his first choice.

2. ignored the need for a striker and sanctioning the purchase of a striker who had 2 serious injuries in the previous 9 months.

3. Wasting  £10m on a kid who had barely played any first team football.

4. Implementing a style of football not suited to the league without the required investment in suitable players.

5. failed to address the obvious gaps in the squad in January and then recruiting players not particularly needed.

So what specifically has he done behind the scenes other than seemingly ignoring the key short term requirements of the job? 

Clearly long term planning doesn’t include his own integrity as part of his skill set.

no it’s not ideal that we are left with out someone with off field planning expertise a month away from the end of the season. The only thing I agree with in your post. 

Gave us two 10 out of 10 transfer windows.  Apparently.

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Shields was wank. Has made two good signings at both clubs worked for amongst a load of shite in Lavia and Palmer and both he knew from City.

Wilcox? Said all the right things in the media, but was Martin the best managerial appointment we could have made in the summer? Why did all of our transfer budget for the season go on a crocked striker from Sunderland and youngster from City, neither of which have contributed anything to the first team this season? Certainly question marks over him as well.

Lets now hope it's third time lucky and lets hope we don't try the Rasmus Ankersen experiment again.

Arsehole made us wait while he left Manchester City amicably while wanting to shoot off as soon as United comes calling. Twerks for the Manchester clubs. 

I am astonished that anyone has been looking at what Wilcox hasn't achieved at Saints and thinks "we'll have some of that..."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I am astonished that anyone has been looking at what Wilcox hasn't achieved at Saints and thinks "we'll have some of that..."

It's Man Utd who are an omnishambles. For me the only surprise is they've waited so long.

Chelsea already jumped in to steal our success with the fella that preceded Wilcox too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenilworthy said:

Maybe someone at United already fancied him when at City. No way that he could have just skipped across Manchester to take the role, could we have been used as a stepping stone?

Am I right in thinking Shields had already been linked to Chelsea before coming to us, pattern developing?

• Like 1

The fact that a club like Man United want him proves what a success he’s been. We have an identity and a philosophy we might not achieve the clubs aim of automatic promotion but not all failure is bad you sad fucks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The fact it hit the main stream media during half time of a really important match for us is a fucking disgrace. Whoever is at fault for this, suspect it’s a manc, has shown zero class and respect to us. Fuck off, good luck in that disgrace of a club. Cunts. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

The fact that a club like Man United want him proves what a success he’s been. We have an identity and a philosophy we might not achieve the clubs aim of automatic promotion but not all failure is bad you sad fucks.

All that failures is not failz?

14 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Exactly. When you have a football staff that no one at a higher level is interested in, that is not a good sign.

3 hours ago, coalman said:

It's Man Utd who are an omnishambles. For me the only surprise is they've waited so long.

Chelsea already jumped in to steal our success with the fella that preceded Wilcox too.

Man United are only prepared to pay a year’s worth of his salary as compensation, seems like they are happy to wait like Saints did over RM!

16 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Obviously they will be offering more money but it's a strange move all round. Wilcox has hardly pulled up any trees, we'll cope fine. Hope we stand our ground RE compensation like Newcastle are doing.

If he's resigned I'm pretty sure they don't have to pay anything as its his own choice to leave.  I'm pretty sure we won't need to pay his contract up for a resignation either.

Man U are being completely tin pot for the supposed richest club in the world.

Cheapskates with Ashworth and with Wilcox, they dont seem to think they should pay a premium to steal someone else's employee.

Hope they continue to be shit for another 10 yrs

• Like 4

Our Manchester City YTS lite experiment with Shields and Wilcox on the tiller, instigated you'd imagine by Ankersen, has on balance probably cost us (Dragan) in excess of £10 million to date.  That's notwithstanding the primary financial impact of contributing to our relegation last year and the high possibility of missing out on promotion this year.  The core of the former Shields / Wilcox youth team - Lavia, Bazunu, Edozie, Larios and Charles which cost around £50m in fees, was balanced by the transfer of Lavia to Chelsea, but you'd imagine that this would be in considerable deficit once you factor in wages / contract lengths for mostly bit part players.  No wonder Saints appear to be shitting bricks in terms of Wilcox's compensation. Arguably the club did better in terms of youth talent spotting in the Gao doldrums in the months before Sport Republic took over, with Livramento and Broja joining in August 2021.  Whoever they appoint next it would be nice to have integrity, commitment and Championship nous high on the desired attribute list, plus Ankersen strategically placed in Turkey.     

16 hours ago, Dusic said:

I can’t see ‘clearly’ that he is any good to be fair.

2 hours ago, RedWillie said:

If he's resigned I'm pretty sure they don't have to pay anything as its his own choice to leave.  I'm pretty sure we won't need to pay his contract up for a resignation either.

Apparently his contract specifies a 12-month notice period. 

Could SFC enforce this? More likely to use it as a bargaining tool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedWillie said:

If he's resigned he'll be liable to the notice period terms of his contract.  I imagine he's on a pretty long notice period otherwise Man United wouldn't have just offered a year's salary.  United seem to think they're abiding by the terms of the contract, Saints seem to disagree.  

It's all speculation of course.  But I can see the club dragging it's heels over this and having him "work" his full notice period.

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

If he's resigned he'll be liable to the notice period terms of his contract.  I imagine he's on a pretty long notice period otherwise Man United wouldn't have just offered a year's salary.  United seem to think they're abiding by the terms of the contract, Saints seem to disagree.  

It's all speculation of course.  But I can see the club dragging it's heels over this and having him "work" his full notice period.

I'm expecting fucking dazzling toilets for the next year whilst he works his notice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1