Jason Wilcox

SuperSAINT

2 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I'll take issue with it being in Leeds hands - it's not, it's in ours.  Win all our games (or exactly the same number as Leeds and or Ipswich) and we're promoted.

It's actually in both of our hands, as it would come down to the last game of the season if we match each other's results between now and then...

1 minute ago, trousers said:

It's actually in both of our hands, as it would come down to the last game of the season if we match each other's results between now and then...

Nice try at being a pedant but if we match Leeds points over the rest of the season, regardless of the result against them, then we go up.  Your point only exists if it comes down to the final game and if that's the case and we lose then we won't have matched their points tally will we?

3 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

I hope we tell them where to go. 

We won't because if it's what JW wants it'll happen - assuming there is any truth in it. Surely there will be more highly qualified options than JW for a club the size of Man Utd - and that's not disrespecting him but there will be those out there with far more comprehensive CVs.

• Like 1

I see Utd appointed Omar Berrada from Man City in late January and he'll be their new Chief Exec but not until the end of the season. The suggestion is that he's the guy who recommended JW to Utd having known him at City.

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

Nice try at being a pedant but if we match Leeds points over the rest of the season, regardless of the result against them, then we go up.  Your point only exists if it comes down to the final game and if that's the case and we lose then we won't have matched their points tally will we?

Ok, you win :)

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

If Leeds win every game they will finish above us. Trousers was right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, kitch said:

Does anyone else see teams interested in our players or staff and think "Just fuck off!?"

Sick of getting raided everytime we become even moderately better than abjectly shite.

I am afraid we are just a little tadpole in a stinking great pond,just the way of the world.

14 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Not like he can do anything between now and the end of the season.

He might not fancy being Ashworth’s teaboy anyway.

Exactly. We either go up and look for someone else or we fail to go up and we've got enough notice to get someone else decent in. 

• Like 1

Brightons Sam Jewell has been approached by United now. I reckon from all the rumours going around nothing is sorted. I’m sure some will like to see me proved wrong but I can’t see Wilcox shafting us. 
Watched all his interviews when he joined. He’s in charge. RM has admitted Wilcox makes all the decisions. Then it’s down to the finance chap to sign it off, He will be on a fair wedge here which will definitely go up if we are promoted. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, manji said:

Brightons Sam Jewell has been approached by United now. I reckon from all the rumours going around nothing is sorted. I’m sure some will like to see me proved wrong but I can’t see Wilcox shafting us. 
Watched all his interviews when he joined. He’s in charge. RM has admitted Wilcox makes all the decisions. Then it’s down to the finance chap to sign it off, He will be on a fair wedge here which will definitely go up if we are promoted. 

I’d like to share your optimism but Wilcox has already spoken with United. I don’t think this story would come out if JW wasn’t interested or already making moves to go.

I doubt money comes into it. It’s whether he wants to be part of the team that has a chance to turn united around and if reporting to a SD can give him an important role to be able to do what he wants. If it works it’ll elevate his status no end. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, manji said:

Yes but it's united. It's not about shafting us, he'd be mad not to take the opportunity. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

I doubt money comes into it. It’s whether he wants to be part of the team that has a chance to turn united around and if reporting to a SD can give him an important role to be able to do what he wants. If it works it’ll elevate his status no end. 

If it works he could walk into any vacancy of that type in world football. 

• Like 1

If JW wants to return to his Northern roots,we are totally stuffed on this. I have lived in Cornwall for 27 months and would move back to Hampshire tomorrow if my wife would agree,unfortunately she does not.Maybe JW and family have the same feeling about wanting to move back up North.

• Confused 1

If there's an open door into Man United then he's walking through it. Nobody in their right mind could blame him, despite his Man City background, what an opportunity.

He's also probably realised that if we don't go up, or if we do and then struggle (which I fear we will, trying to play this way at that level without big upgrades for a number of positions) fans will go hunting for scapegoats again and, as back in September, there'll be plenty blaming recruitment and willing to "drive him up there".

I'd go as far as to say he'd be mad not to take it if offered.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Everyone grizzling about Wilcox shafting us or walking out for the money were definitely all disgusted with Russell Martin for walking out on Swansea, right?

I don't think many are actually reacting like that, just expressing disappointment that it would be so soon into a successful tenure.

Its obviously a no brainer decision for him and one he is perfectly entitled to make.

• Like 1

I forget sometimes that we're just little old Southampton, of the 'lucky to be here' ilk.

When have we ever had a truly sustained period of prosperity?

I guess we should just keep on repeating old Semmens's mantra. We're just a small fish in a big old ocean, after all.

16 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

I forget sometimes that we're just little old Southampton, of the 'lucky to be here' ilk.

When have we ever had a truly sustained period of prosperity?

I guess we should just keep on repeating old Semmens's mantra. We're just a small fish in a big old ocean, after all.

…and nobody’s saying that - we’re a decent size club but Jason Wilcox or whoever would more than likely jump at an opportunity like this at just about all clubs (other than the obvious half dozen or so) in this country.

FFS, he walked out on Man City to come to us.

19 hours ago, Dman said:

If the club weren't aware, how do you expect anyone else to be? Not the brigest bulb are you, always. 

Just trying to get hold of my contact now.  

Brigest... 🤣 

Admit it you know nothing, just another ITK wannabe:poundit:

We are all still waiting for you to "get hold of your contact"  :mcinnes:

Guess you are waiting for others to speak out and then try and claim you found out, utterly hilarious

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Everyone grizzling about Wilcox shafting us or walking out for the money were definitely all disgusted with Russell Martin for walking out on Swansea, right?

Indeed, plus the way Natty J shafted Luton for SFC the moment Rasmus wooed him at Nandos in Watford. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

…and nobody’s saying that - we’re a decent size club but Jason Wilcox or whoever would more than likely jump at an opportunity like this at just about all clubs (other than the obvious half dozen or so) in this country.

FFS, he walked out on Man City to come to us.

He was academy Director at Man City, he joined us as Director of Football Operations. Quite clearly that is a step up Man City or not. I'm still not sure he would want to be back down the hierarchy at Man U, effectively reporting to Ashworth? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

He was academy Director at Man City, he joined us as Director of Football Operations. Quite clearly that is a step up Man City or not. I'm still not sure he would want to be back down the hierarchy at Man U, effectively reporting to Ashworth? 

It’s one of the biggest clubs in the world.

17 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

We are obviously appointing the right people, first shields to chelsea and now wilcox linked to man u.

Someone is doing a good job.

we aren't. We need someone a little bit too good for us bit a little bit too shite for any bigger club so no one else wants them. As for Shields im not sure he's all he's cracked up to be. Spunked 10s of millions of players not up to it at the time (Lavia aside) now Chelsea seem to be doing the same.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Isn't this what they used to call 'tapping up'? You know, the thing that the sainted Lord Klopp did illegally to get Van Dijk and set Liverpool off on their road to success. Or doesn't it apply to staff as it (used to, at least) to players? All seems a bit tawdry to just chuck it out into the press and hope everybody just accepts it (as they appear to be doing) because Man U are really big.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, trousers said:

Source?

Wilcox hasn’t been approached. Ratcliffe only got the green light to takeover on Wednesday. I keep a close eye on Twitter when this sort of thing happens , not for sources but punters reaction. It was was full of  constantly reports rehashes of the same story. United fans were posting lists of the “new” set up Answorth, Wilcox, Brightons Sam Jewel , Sir Dave Brailsford, Omar Berrada is new CEO ( that ones true ) They were already predicting who they were going to sign even Mbappe 🙄bearing a week ago they were predicting the Ratcliffe takeover was off.                                                                     I don’t doubt United have there lists. United not being helped by Chelsea trying to restructure their set up.

Might be trying to convince myself but I’m not sure Wilcox will go . He’s aware we have a robust plan in place if we get promoted and also if we don’t get promoted. 
Don’t doubt this will make some on here hope Wilcox go even more. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DT said:

Isn't this what they used to call 'tapping up'? You know, the thing that the sainted Lord Klopp did illegally to get Van Dijk and set Liverpool off on their road to success. Or doesn't it apply to staff as it (used to, at least) to players? All seems a bit tawdry to just chuck it out into the press and hope everybody just accepts it (as they appear to be doing) because Man U are really big.

It worked United fans were wetting themselves in preparation for their new dawn. See my other recent post.

1 hour ago, tdmickey3 said:

Brigest... 🤣 

Admit it you know nothing, just another ITK wannabe:poundit:

We are all still waiting for you to "get hold of your contact"  :mcinnes:

Guess you are waiting for others to speak out and then try and claim you found out, utterly hilarious

Those in the CoT were updated with my findings yesterday. Very interesting. All I can say for now. 

Edited by Dman
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, manji said:

Wilcox hasn’t been approached. Ratcliffe only got the green light to takeover on Wednesday. I keep a close eye on Twitter when this sort of thing happens , not for sources but punters reaction. It was was full of  constantly reports rehashes of the same story. United fans were posting lists of the “new” set up Answorth, Wilcox, Brightons Sam Jewel , Sir Dave Brailsford, Omar Berrada is new CEO ( that ones true ) They were already predicting who they were going to sign even Mbappe 🙄bearing a week ago they were predicting the Ratcliffe takeover was off.                                                                     I don’t doubt United have there lists. United not being helped by Chelsea trying to restructure their set up.

Might be trying to convince myself but I’m not sure Wilcox will go . He’s aware we have a robust plan in place if we get promoted and also if we don’t get promoted. 
Don’t doubt this will make some on here hope Wilcox go even more. 

And he wont have control either just reporting into someone up the chain and following their strategy. People in his position are generally workaholic control freaks and a step backwards in terms of responsibility to work for a bigger club isnt necessarily a great move.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dusic said:

I don't think many are actually reacting like that, just expressing disappointment that it would be so soon into a successful tenure.

Its obviously a no brainer decision for him and one he is perfectly entitled to make.

Has it been sucessful though? Sucess will be defined on if we gain promotion. 

Had Wilcox been able to attract his number 1 target (Enzo), we may well be sitting top of the table and I'd agree. He didn't though and we'll never know how it would have (or indeed may continue to) pan out. 

For me, I'd be judging him next season if we fail to go up - what can he produce or if we do go up, can he keep us up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

we aren't. We need someone a little bit too good for us bit a little bit too shite for any bigger club so no one else wants them. As for Shields im not sure he's all he's cracked up to be. Spunked 10s of millions of players not up to it at the time (Lavia aside) now Chelsea seem to be doing the same.

The perfect southampton way 

14 minutes ago, Dman said:

Had Wilcox been able to attract his number 1 target (Enzo), we may well be sitting top of the table and I'd agree. He didn't though and we'll never know how it would have (or indeed may continue to) pan out. 

For me, I'd be judging him next season if we fail to go up - what can he produce or if we do go up, can he keep us up. 

What i find interesting is that when Danny Rohl left you heard shedload of noise from inside the club about how the wrong person was going. When Paul Mitchell left the noises from the club were of massive panic. When Joe Shields started talking to Chelsea there was real anger behind the scenes, but with Wilcox the noises seem to mostly be a case of "we haven't heard about this and a shrug".

That reaction alone makes me not as worried as other people about him going.

• Like 1

Just now, franniesTache said:

That reaction alone makes me not as worried as other people about him going.

You've obviously been conditioned by one of our earlier Maestro's and are now in full "Les is relaxed mode"...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dman said:

I understand the question you raise re Willcox, although as a minimum I think it's accepted that things have been more positive with him at the helm.

Second time on this thread though that you've raised the name Enzo, whether he was or wasn't our first choice we'll never really know, but personally I'm not sure we've missed out or things would have been different had he come here. The fact his team are top of the league probably has more to do with a better squad he inherited at Leicester to begin with, and them not wasting money on a crocked CF. There were mumblings of discontent among Leicester fans a few weeks ago with his style of play.

• Like 2