Jason Wilcox

SuperSAINT

Using the media like Man United have done needs action from PL FA, Newcastle now screwed up and we’re in an unknown boat. 

Newcastle clearly fuming and they might well leave Ashworth to rot on gardening leave for 12 months.

20 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Not too worried myself unless he was to target russ as well ..

we have still been going for a lot of ex city under him(understandable) but we where doing this pre Wilcox anyway 

martin gets all the credit for me 

Rest assured, United wont be looking to appoint Russel Martin as manager. 

1 minute ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Using the media like Man United have done needs action from PL FA, Newcastle now screwed up and we’re in an unknown boat. 

Newcastle clearly fuming and they might well leave Ashworth to rot on gardening leave for 12 months.

Niave to think he wont be working on bits behind the scenes at United, whilst on gardening leave. He'll be doing the job in all but having his feet under the desk. 

The only reason Newcastle wont want him around, is because they wouldn't want him close to the day to day running of the club before shooting off to a rival. 

My only ( mild) concern In the game of possible consequences though is that it’s not impossible Newcastle consider JW if they lose Ashworth? Can’t really say no to that spending power? 
Only job I see RM being offered soon is the Scotland one post euros- but think he’d probably reject it if we were in EPL. Not sure replacing De Zerbi at Brighton is actually such a good gig for him as I previously thought and he’s not going to a top six team anytime soon. Has won nothing to date and that needs to change -starting with promotion to EPL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

My only ( mild) concern In the game of possible consequences though is that it’s not impossible Newcastle consider JW if they lose Ashworth? Can’t really say no to that spending power? 
Only job I see RM being offered soon is the Scotland one post euros- but think he’d probably reject it if we were in EPL. Not sure replacing De Zerbi at Brighton is actually such a good gig for him as I previously thought and he’s not going to a top six team anytime soon. Has won nothing to date and that needs to change -starting with promotion to EPL. 

Presumably Wilcox also has a 'notice period' in his Saints contract. After all he has to serve notice (6 months) before joining us. Might put United off if he can't join up (officially) for 6-12 months. I would have thought if there was much/anything in it that Saints would have put Wilcox on GL as well, they haven't which makes me think he is not going.

• Like 1

Couple of hours ago Ashworths gardening leave is now until 2026. Newcastle wanting £20m ! Whatever happens United have handled the whole situation really badly. From all the leaked stories involving Ashworth, Wilcox, Mbappe, and Brightons Sam Jewell to the current situation .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, manji said:

Couple of hours ago Ashworths gardening leave is now until 2026. Newcastle wanting £20m ! Whatever happens United have handled the whole situation really badly. From all the leaked stories involving Ashworth, Wilcox, Mbappe, and Brightons Sam Jewell to the current situation .

Add to that, That Parsons and Wilcox have both told Russell that they have no clue about it either.

Or whatever was said Friday.

It smacks of Man United being underhand and Completely unprofessional. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, manji said:

I don’t know why anyone would want to get at the centre of such a huge shit show. Yeah, huge £££ too at a huge club but these guys are already on ££ compared to most industries anyway. Tapping on goes on all of the time, including plenty of people on here in their industries, but this is so cack-handed from Utd.

Ashworth would be advised to wait until the Glazers have gone wholesale, although you’d expect a bit more savvy from Ratcliffe and Brailsford. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
Spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, manji said:

You have got to assume Ashworth has signed a contract already with united to put in his notice, no one is giving up a job without a defo back up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

You have got to assume Ashworth has signed a contract already with united to put in his notice, no one is giving up a job without a defo back up.

Don't think he has - it just needs the compo & timelines sorted (Which I'm sure will get done when ££s' are agreed).

3 minutes ago, manji said:

Again I might be kidding myself but the more I read United are just thrasing around. Sure they have the money but it’s just smacks of desperation and unprofessionalism.

Jim Ratcliffe largely has the Midas touch with Ineos acquisitions but hasn’t seemed to translated yet to his sporting ventures.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, manji said:

Again I might be kidding myself but the more I read United are just thrasing around. Sure they have the money but it’s just smacks of desperation and unprofessionalism.

That’s why you’d get people like Wilcox and Ashworth in, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Will be interesting to see who we target to replace Wilcox when the inevitable happens. Lots of clubs seem to replace from within but it doesnt seem like there are any obvious candidates within our structure.

This stuff seems like Rasmus' bag so sure he will already have an idea of who he wants and probably had conversations.

Clearly not got everything right, but a lot of the offield appointments seem to have been decent so far, indicated by the fact Chelsea and Utd who could pretty much get anyone they want have moved for Shields and Wilcox after such short tenures.

• 4 weeks later...

So with Wilcox on his way to United I have to ask the question why do they want him? 

He sanctioned the signing of a crocked striker and failed to deliver a replacement in January when it was clear that we needed a decent number 9 to push on for auto's. That's a major cock up. 

He is clearly the man behind the implementation of possession football and is understandably backing Martin to the hilt. Not sure i want to watch another season of painfully slow football with Martin at the helm and slightly lower grade players trying to piss about with the ball at the back.

So will the new man back RM next season If we fail to gain promotion?

• Like 7

4 hours ago, wild-saint said:

So with Wilcox on his way to United I have to ask the question why do they want him? 

He sanctioned the signing of a crocked striker and failed to deliver a replacement in January when it was clear that we needed a decent number 9 to push on for auto's. That's a major cock up. 

He is clearly the man behind the implementation of possession football and is understandably backing Martin to the hilt. Not sure i want to watch another season of painfully slow football with Martin at the helm and slightly lower grade players trying to piss about with the ball at the back.

Because he did well and was popular at Manchester City and the new Manchester United CEO was the head of football at Manchester City?

I don't even think he's really done a bad job here tbh. But you're not allowed to drop points without everyone and everything being sh!te anymore.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 4

On 30/03/2024 at 22:21, wild-saint said:

Where is the news that he's on his way?

The main benefit of a director of football role at a club is to keep a consistent strategy in terms of play style and signing targets regardless of who the manager is. Kind of defeats the point of we're going through them quicker than we're going through managers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He wasn’t at the game on Friday and has not been seen at Staplewood for a while. Seems he is on gardening leave. 

15 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Just had an SSN app update that Man U have approached formally.

From Long Shot’s posting, doesn’t seem too much of a surprise and yes, may explain the drop off in form and Martin feeling comfortable returning to strange tactical decisions. Mixed views - got some good fees in eg Tella, Lavia, but the Stewart debacle has cost the club promotion via the automatics and probably play offs. 

On 30/03/2024 at 22:21, wild-saint said:

So is Martin doing well with the tools he's given, or should we be promoted automatically anyway considering that Wilcox has made a major cock-up this season in putting together a team?

8 hours ago, Long Shot said:

He wasn’t at the game on Friday and has not been seen at Staplewood for a while. Seems he is on gardening leave. 

Why would he be on gardening leave? Cos United are a big rival? 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Why would he be on gardening leave? Cos United are a big rival? 

If true, perhaps because Saints are pissed off that another new recruit has been tempted away within months so just playing hardball and making him see out his terms.

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

If true, perhaps because Saints are pissed off that another new recruit has been tempted away within months so just playing hardball and making him see out his terms.

But you'd make him see it out actually doing his job, wouldn't you? Otherwise he's just being paid for doing nothing. That's not a punishment. 

6 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

But you'd make him see it out actually doing his job, wouldn't you? Otherwise he's just being paid for doing nothing. That's not a punishment. 

I believe it’s exactly what the club did with Shields, and they were definitely pissed off with him.

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I believe it’s exactly what the club did with Shields, and they were definitely pissed off with him.

I wish my companies were that pissed off with me. 

Tbf, it does show that actual football recruitment at the club is extremely strong under SR - perhaps too good. 

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Another one bites the dust (or the pay cheque).

If we have refused a fee, does that mean it will go to a tribunal?

Doubt it, if he’s serving his notice. I imagine the fee was to release him from his terms, sounds like he’ll just do gardening leave and join Man U when that’s done.

34 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

I'd be making him do "some" job, not necessarily his. I'm sure the bog brass needs a good clean.

• Like 1