Jason Wilcox

SuperSAINT

25 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

So we’ve had the bloke credited for recruiting City’s youngsters, now the bloke credited for developing them… any chance we could get someone in to manage them?

Maybe Pep would come to us for a bigger challenge!! He must be bored of such a lot of success.

• Like 1

I would probably look at this appointment as more of an SR one, rather than a dedicated Southampton one. Sure, he'll have most influence on us as of today but they'll use him across their club portfolio when that builds.

It does seem as if SR have an odd fetish with City it has to be said, but I think they're looking at their multi-club model and trying to put in similar foundations by recruiting people who are schooled in that environment. 

The elephant in the room in all of this is Jones though, it just doesn't line up with anything else they're doing.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

The elephant in the room in all of this is Jones though, it just doesn't line up with anything else they're doing.

This is the part I'm most confused about. 

We sign Man City kids, various staff from City and then we employ Nathan Jones in the most important job for the first team - the figurehead for the club doing interviews before and after each match, the most direct influence on tactics, training, formation and substitutions, etc. -  someone that they wouldn't even trust to hand out the bibs 😕

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Green said:

We sign Man City kids, various staff from City and then we employ Nathan Jones in the most important job for the first team - the figurehead for the club doing interviews before and after each match, the most direct influence on tactics, training, formation and substitutions, etc. -  someone that they wouldn't even trust to hand out the bibs 😕

Yeah, couldn’t agree more, it seems like madness

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dangerspoon said:

Great article in the Athletic today regarding our backroom set up. Gives insight into why we’d approach Wilcox and the role changes.  Worth a read if a subscriber.

I've not read that, but would like to. I'm always interested to understand these roles that are above the football manager/coach. As with Shields, Wilcox is obviously coming from the top club in England. Whether that makes him the top guy at his existing job is hard to say. Again, as with Shields, he's getting a promotion, so it means he hasn't actually done this specific job before. Hopefully it works out

3 hours ago, Green said:

And our two new signings are 5ft 10 wide players when Jesus Jones plays 5-3-2 long hoof ball. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, manji said:

If you want Paywalled articles put the URL of the beginning of the article be patient this loads up full article. No catches bugs or anything

B4A4DC93-9C60-4FAC-B700-1260BE1C327E.png

Also Athletic doing a 12 month trial for £1.99 a month

Edited by manji
  • Like 1

Jason Wilcox tendered his resignation as Man City’s academy director yesterday and is working his notice before joining Southampton as director of football. (According to a source on Twitter) 

It’s weird as he’s already met the players for a team bonding chat :)

Edited by Pilchards
  • Like 1

Flowers, Kenna, Le Saux, Ian Pearce, Slater, Shearer, Ripley, Wilcox...

We've had a close link to Blackburn's title winning team over the years. Tim Sherwood as manager next...

Edited by SNSUN

22 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Your post will get a confused emoji very soon.

But of course 😁. I just think it would have been nice if he had just credited SuperSAINT and the broader SaintsWeb community for his content 🤷‍♂️😊

An immediate confused reaction to this. I guess I should be flattered by the close attention! 🥰

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

But of course 😁. I just think it would have been nice if he had just credited SuperSAINT and the broader SaintsWeb community for his content 🤷‍♂️😊

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Maggie May said:

It will be interesting to see Wilcox in his role next season. It’ll likely be in the Championship but could he be the figure we need to bring stability back to the club?

Can’t help but feel he won’t be around for long.
He’ll probably be dictated to by Ankersen.

9 hours ago, Maggie May said:

It will be interesting to see Wilcox in his role next season. It’ll likely be in the Championship but could he be the figure we need to bring stability back to the club?

He has an almighty job on his hands 

• Like 2

Good luck to Wilcox because he has a huge job on his hands.

- New manager

- High profile sales

- Deadwood clearance (Lyanco, DCC, Orsic etc)

- Key signings to add leadership and Championship knowledge

- Taking advantage of the PL loan market

- Cultural shift

- Updating the Playbook PDF

Lets hope he is a.) still joining b.) fully aware of what he is walking into c.) given the space to do his job

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dusic said:

Good luck to Wilcox because he has a huge job on his hands.

- New manager

- High profile sales

- Deadwood clearance (Lyanco, DCC, Orsic etc)

- Key signings to add leadership and Championship knowledge

- Taking advantage of the PL loan market

- Cultural shift

- Updating the Playbook PDF

Lets hope he is a.) still joining b.) fully aware of what he is walking into c.) given the space to do his job

He could see all of the above as a great opportunity to make his mark.

They always say its better to take over a shit show than a well run ship as people can see the difference you make.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There have been rumours that JW has already unofficially begun work. 

He looks to have been really effective at City, so hopefully he is the real deal.

However, there is now a lot of pressure for this appointment to work. He (should) now carry a lot of responsibility for significant decisions regarding a new manager and likely overhaul of the playing squad…

I wouldn’t mind tapping in to any knowledge of youth team football he might have, if this can be supported by signing some experienced leaders.

The managerial appointment is probably the biggest worry. There seem to be a number of significant problems within the team that need to be solved. In the short term, we should be in a better financial position than many in the Championship, but we can’t afford to waste this with another ineffective appointment.

Does anyone, with more knowledge than me, have any idea what to expect?

• Like 3