Saints 2-0 Man City - The Treble is STILL on!

Lighthouse

MotM  

131 members have voted

1. 1. MotM

• Bazunu
    • KWP
    • DCC
    • Lyanco
    • Salisu
    • Lavia
    • JWP
    • Diallo
    • Mara
    • Armstrong
    • Djenepo
    • Orsic
    • Moi
    • Adams
    • Perraud

A real shame we got City at this stage. Like most of our fans I was born after '76 so have never seen us lift a major trophy. I just want one in my life then I can be happy. Controversially I'd take a League Cup or FA Cup if it meant relegation. Anyway, stranger things have happened in football than us winning on Wednesday, its just a shame Pep played a 'weaker' team yesterday instead of our game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tunit said:

A real shame we got City at this stage. Like most of our fans I was born after '76 so have never seen us lift a major trophy. I just want one in my life then I can be happy. Controversially I'd take a League Cup or FA Cup if it meant relegation. Anyway, stranger things have happened in football than us winning on Wednesday, its just a shame Pep played a 'weaker' team yesterday instead of our game.

We're more likely to beat City now than in the final, that's the way I look at it. 

• Like 6

Team will be interesting. Specifically, will Lavia be risked ahead of Saturday?

Imagine it will be:

----------------Baz-----------------

----Lyanco----DCC----Salisu-----

KWP------------------------Perraud

----JWP---Lavia or AMN-----Moi---

---------Che------Arma---------

On 08/01/2023 at 09:21, egg said:

We should be competitive with all those players...I'd lose Edozie to make it 11. I really don't get the fuss about the kid. He has skill galore, but no vision or end product and was poor yesterday. I'd also prefer Djenepo over Aribo.  

We need edozie yes he's far from the finished article but one of the only players we have that will at least run at the defence and try to get behind them. Djepeno did absolutely nothing Saturday to warrant a starting place! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tunit said:

Well I'm old enough to remember listening to radio commentary live as we won the Cup in 1976! A special day indeed (and the only time the Queen presented the FA Cup I learnt later - one for the Southampton record books). 

But honestly, I'd take staying in the Premier League any day over the League Cup (especially) or the FA Cup.

Play the youngsters and reserves. No injuries. Don't start unfit new signings and risk injuring before they're ready for nothing.

Would I like us to win - of course! 

• Like 1

Saints used to be able to raise their game a lot against the bigger teams and really give them a game and a scare or two, but not sure we can do it against any team anymore. We will either suprise everyone or the scoreline could approach our last great mauling, unfortunately long ball is possibly the worst tactic ever against city  

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Saints used to be able to raise their game a lot against the bigger teams and really give them a game and a scare or two, but not sure we can do it against any team anymore. We will either suprise everyone or the scoreline could approach our last great mauling, unfortunately long ball is possibly the worst tactic ever against city  

We managed to raise our game enough to take two points off them last season. Feels like a lifetime ago.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, way down south said:

I think orsic could make a cameo appearance in this one. And if we are losing by half time as is likely throw in the likes of JJ Morgan and the like no better game to blood these I think.

Depends on the game for me, if by some miracle we are winning he doesn't get near the pitch as no manager is going to risk someone who isn't up to speed, if we are getting stuffed he doesn't need to be exposed to us at our worst but if we are a goal down with 10 minutes to go he might just be worth a gamble

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Well I'm old enough to remember listening to radio commentary live as we won the Cup in 1976! A special day indeed (and the only time the Queen presented the FA Cup I learnt later - one for the Southampton record books). 

But honestly, I'd take staying in the Premier League any day over the League Cup (especially) or the FA Cup.

Play the youngsters and reserves. No injuries. Don't start unfit new signings and risk injuring before they're ready for nothing.

So you’d rather see us struggle to achieve a 4th from  Bottom place every season than be at Wembley and see us win the FA Cup? 
Never really got that. Goes against the whole principle if the game. 
I don’t understand the fixation with this league, it must be more about the opposition I guess. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

So you’d rather see us struggle to achieve a 4th from  Bottom place every season than be at Wembley and see us win the FA Cup? 
Never really got that. Goes against the whole principle if the game. 
I don’t understand the fixation with this league, it must be more about the opposition I guess. 

I think most would like us to keep away from the relegation spots while trying our luck with the cups. Winning a cup wouldn't gloss over the feeling of getting relegated IMO. It's a really shitty feeling.

• Like 3

On 10/01/2023 at 02:58, Vancouver Saint said:

The Queen presented the Cup many times but the 1976 presentation to us was her last time

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

How close to the ground did you get before you realised.

Fortunately not close I'm in europe but was 5 beers in.

Today gives me another excuse to get more beer tho so good news.

Ok lets do these overhyped losers again.

Edited by Convict Colony

23 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Sounds from Pep's presser that Phillips will start for them ahead of Rodri and that Haaland and De Bruyne will be rested tonight - wants to keep them fresh for the Manchester derby at the weekend. 

So that's something at least

Strange that Haaland and De Bruyne were rested at the weekend too then. If they are on the bench then I hope we get to see them on the pitch, as that will mean we have scored first and they are struggling to break us down, so Pep had no choice but to make changes.........sorry, I started to day dream then. It will be all over after about 20 minutes, most likely and I will wonder why I got a ticket.

16 minutes ago, Chocolate Box said:

Precisely why I haven't bothered

I'm of the opinion that you need to experience the lows to truly enjoy the highs. After the Forest game, I didn't think we could get much lower, but I have a feeling we might do so tonight and that `pain' will set me up for a brilliant experience sometime in the years ahead. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

No point watching it now you've spoiled the match 🤣 although a Mahrez header is a collectors item!

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm of the opinion that you need to experience the lows to truly enjoy the highs. After the Forest game, I didn't think we could get much lower, but I have a feeling we might do so tonight and that `pain' will set me up for a brilliant experience sometime in the years ahead. 

Having been going to games home and away for 56 years, I have experienced many lows and a few highs. I feel I have earned the right to be selective to protect my fragile health 😄

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Chocolate Box said:

Having been going to games home and away for 56 years, I have experienced many lows and a few highs. I feel I have earned the right to be selective to protect my fragile health 😄

only done 39 years hard labour, so I might just survive, although seeing my 9 year old man city supporting nephew's smug face immediately after the game (he's in the away end) might kill me.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Chocolate Box said:

Reading your post I realised I've been going to home games for about 56 years myself, although only going away for about 48  I'm going tonight, expecting the worst , hoping for a minor miracle or at least a spirited (if ultimately unsuccessful) performance  🤞

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

From the comments:

"great bit of fun but these simulations are never remotely close to the real thing! For a start, Southampton are so bad, its quite likely City will score in first ten minutes as Pep will want the game won by half time!"

It's gonna be ugly isn't it

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, 100%Red&White said:

From the comments:

"great bit of fun but these simulations are never remotely close to the real thing! For a start, Southampton are so bad, its quite likely City will score in first ten minutes as Pep will want the game won by half time!"

It's gonna be ugly isn't it

Wouldn't be the first time.  

Liverpool at home was bad 2015 I think (1-6) and recall Chelsea at home in FA Cup when we lost 1-5 

Hopefully we keep it respectful 

6 minutes ago, JRM said:

Liverpool at home was bad 2015 I think (1-6) and recall Chelsea at home in FA Cup when we lost 1-5 

And Arsenal 0-5 FA Cup live on Sky 5 or 6 years ago, not forgetting 2-6 to Spurs on TV back at the Dell. Unfortunately been there for them all and too many other heavy losses all the way back to the start of the 70s. Yep, keep it respectful Saints.

31 minutes ago, JRM said:

Yep, remember being at both of those. J-Rod gave us the lead against Chelsea, didn't last! Think Mane scored first against Liverpool as well very early on

Edited by Viking Saint

56 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Yep, remember being at both of those. J-Rod gave us the lead against Chelsea, didn't last! Think Mane scored first against Liverpool as well very early on

As bad as those were they still weren't as bad as the pain of Andy Richie scoring deep into stoppage time in the 1/4 final 1989/90 season,  should have won it that year 

Did everyone else get the text from the club letting us know tickets are available? Never known that before, seems pretty desperate.

Photos in twitter suggest all the big names are in town so it’ll certainly be an arse whipping tonight, although I fully expect Pep to tell the team to back off once they get to 0-4.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-0 Man City - The Treble is STILL on!
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic