Saints Kits Season 2023/24

Master Bates

As for the alternative sponsor……think I’m right in saying that kids’ shirts aren’t allowed to have gambling ads on them (last season was utilita or something) so they’ll likely have the alternative too.

Should’ve got Draper Tools onboard for some proper retro. Gambling sponsors should be outlawed imo just like ciggies were decades ago. But that’s another whinge altogether.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

As someone said earlier it needed the Chevrons all the way down the sleeve. Looks a bit cheap without them somehow.

wondering how it will look with long sleeves without them. Weird probably.

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

wondering how it will look with long sleeves without them. Weird probably.

Do any players wear long sleeves these days?! They must be a rarity, they seem to go with short sleeves for the main shirt and a similarly coloured long-sleeved undershirt. Also no one seems to tuck themselves in these days……🙄

Edited by The Kraken

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

As for the alternative sponsor……think I’m right in saying that kids’ shirts aren’t allowed to have gambling ads on them (last season was utilita or something) so they’ll likely have the alternative too.

Should’ve got Draper Tools onboard for some proper retro. Gambling sponsors should be outlawed imo just like ciggies were decades ago. But that’s another whinge altogether.

Junior sizes can be bought with either Utilita or Starling, adult with Sportsnet or Starling

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

We’re basically having a second year in a row of “experimental” which seems to be your main problem. Prior to that in recent seasons we’ve alternated year by year. Seems like you’d have been happy with this kit if it was next year and there was a season of stripes in between? For me it doesn’t matter, the 80s we’re almost exclusively non stripes and as long as the kit is red and white, has a nod to our history (which stripes, sash, xerox, halves, quarters etc all do), and it’s not utterly shit, then it’s alright with me.

Bayern Munich are another huge side who have changed their home kit loads: plain red, red and blue stripes, red and white stripes amongst them. So Barca aren’t an exception, I’m sure there’s plenty who mix it up.

IMG-1590.jpg

Yes, exactly I would rather have alternate years - traditional vs experimental. As you point out though this isn’t the first time we’ve had back-to-back alternative kits. 

I am not actually against a bit of innovation as long as (a) the design is great and (b) they stick to the red/white/black colour palette. In fact the ‘Keegan kit’ and the L1 sash kit are two of my all-time favourites, but I definitely would like a more traditional r&w stripes design as the predominant approach. 

TBH I was actually more aggrieved at the Cortese era dissection - the whole ‘all red’ kit thing as it had no connection with Saints’ tradition. At least the last two have stuck to our recognised colour palette. 

The other thing with Hummel that I don’t like - as pointed out by someone else on here - is the the fit is terrible (on players I mean). They just look baggy and amateurish. 

One day maybe I’ll get my dream of someone delivering a smart, classic yet contemporary take on our kits of the 60s/70s - I think Atletico Madrid have done this before and it looks great. For me, that would be true innovation! 

Edited by SW11_Saint

Love it. As a nipper I bought the Danish national shirt,   then the next year Saints released practically the same shirt which I obviously got too (both still fit me😇). 
Haven’t bought a shirt in years, well tempted with this one..

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SW11_Saint said:

TBH I was actually more aggrieved at the Cortese era dissection - the whole ‘all red’ kit thing as it had no connection with Saints’ tradition. At least the last two have stuck to our recognised colour palette. 

The other thing with Hummel that I don’t like - as pointed out by someone else on here - is the the fit is terrible (on players I mean). They just look baggy and amateurish.

100% agree with the first para. The second, kind of agree though the shots released so far aren’t overly clear. But yes, they do seem a bit baggier than usual.

• Like 2

I loved the original 80s version .. this is still nice and I might still buy anyway but there is something a little bit not quite hitting the spot .. I think it may be that the sleeves don’t have the Umbro arrows stunning all the way down .. doesn’t the new Denmark still do that ?

3 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

No they have men’s version of Sterling Bank kit too 

I'm going to buy the Sportsbetio one for when I go to men's games and the Starling Bank one for when I go to watch the ladies. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ButtikonSaint said:

A bit too busy / pyjama looking for my liking, however I get the nod to the past...
Mind you, would have preferred if they'd taken inspiration from our 89/90 kit

ROD%2BWALLACE%2BSouthampton%2B1989-90.JPG

This is the greatest kit we ever had (white socks though)

Just perfect.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

This is the greatest kit we ever had (white socks though)

Just perfect.

Definitely the best kit ever. I love the black socks though, while not the “traditional” saints thing it just absolutely worked here. Love love love that kit (and the Liverpool 4-1 that it oversaw).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

100% agree with the first para. The second, kind of agree though the shots released so far aren’t overly clear. But yes, they do seem a bit baggier than usual.

And I meant to type divergence - not sure how it ended up as dissection! 😂

3 hours ago, bpsaint said:

One thing that doesn’t help with the shirt is that the one used in the revealed are never tailored to the player and they look baggy and a bit crap, especially on someone as slight as Prowsey. Looks better on the store mannequins.

The store mannequins are fucking massive though. They are not regular human size.

6 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Horrible horrible horrible. Guaranteed a second successive relegation to league one with a kit like that. Since when was red and pink part of our brand design language?

1987-1989.

IMG-1592.jpg

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Who's that on the front row sat next to Graham Baker? (not Mark Wright)

There’s a list of all the names in there 🤣 (It’s Graham’s brother Steve).

MLG edit. Yes, I know they’re not related……

Edited by The Kraken

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

1987-1989.

IMG-1592.jpg

Although they’ve released that black and yellow ‘loud’ one, I do hope there’s a simple green GK top to wear along side this new home shirt to complete the classic look…

Would be missing a trick otherwise surely 

52 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

There’s a list of all the names in there 🤣 (It’s Graham’s brother Steve).

MLG edit. Yes, I know they’re not related……

🤣 Honestly spent too long zooming into the picture I completely missed the names at the bottom. Idiot 🤡

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

I do like the way Hummel add some bespoke touches to the kits which hark back to our history like ... the stained glass window of St Marys church in the goalie kit.

Great. Like we needed something else on Bazunu that a ball could smash through. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Juneau said:

Although they’ve released that black and yellow ‘loud’ one, I do hope there’s a simple green GK top to wear along side this new home shirt to complete the classic look…

Would be missing a trick otherwise surely 

I am surprised no one has mention the flaming blue away kit. The only away shirt I have ever purchased (manly because of the zenith data system cup final day out)

Edited by Yorkshire Saint

10 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Horrible horrible horrible. Guaranteed a second successive relegation to league one with a kit like that. Since when was red and pink part of our brand design language?

Is people's eye focus really such an issue that these obvious stripes are blurring for them?

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

I am surprised no one has mention the flaming blue away kit. The only away shirt I have ever purchased (manly because of the zenith dats system cup final day out)

This shirt was presented to me in the club shop by Jimmy Case on release day!

I filled in a feedback form a few weeks earlier regarding my shopping experience in the shop. A week or two later I was invited to the shop on release day. I was star struck when Jimmy turned up in the shop (my favourite player at the time). My mates were all outside queuing and jealous as hell haha. 

I recall Jimmy said he wasn't sure about the blue flame kit as it might contrast with the crowd too much, or words to that effect. He was very genuine and could see I was nervous to meet him.

A memorable day for sure and why I too hold great affection for that particular kit. 

• Like 3

I am surprised no one has mention the flaming blue away kit. The only away shirt I have ever purchased (manly because of the zenith dats system cup final day out)

I've tried to find the yellow version of that shirt but had zero joy. Everywhere that sells it is out of stock.

Edited by Mr Nimbus

8 minutes ago, jasonb said:

This shirt was presented to me in the club shop by Jimmy Case on release day!

I filled in a feedback form a few weeks earlier regarding my shopping experience in the shop. A week or two later I was invited to the shop on release day. I was star struck when Jimmy turned up in the shop (my favourite player at the time). My mates were all outside queuing and jealous as hell haha. 

I recall Jimmy said he wasn't sure about the blue flame kit as it might contrast with the crowd too much, or words to that effect. He was very genuine and could see I was nervous to meet him.

A memorable day for sure and why I too hold great affection for that particular kit. 

Great story, thanks for sharing.

7 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

I've tried to find the yellow version of that shirt but had zero joy. Everywhere that sells it is out of stock.

Id forgotten about that... didnt we only wear it once ? Might of been when Paul Davis smacked Glenn at Highbury and broke his jaw. 9 game ban was never enough !!

On 19/06/2023 at 08:15, david in sweden said:

No... .not immediate promotion, but the idea that our " relatively-new " ownership, and our soon-to-be new manager (and his staff) might

want to look back into Saints' long history and learn / remember / that many fans.... and old fogey's like me (first game January 1959 )

have long memories and recall that .....we used to play in red and white striped shirts .... (albeit with / without adverts) .

I'm sort of OK with a " change kit"  in different patterns..  (after all we won the FA Cup in blue and gold..) but it would be a nice gesture

to get a supplier who has some feeling for a little sentiment, and turn the clock back and pay homage to the club's history and give us  

a decent version of the " red and white ", that many past generations still lovingly remember.

One can only hope that those " now-departed director's " didn't approve some form of multi-coloured harlequin patterned kit for next season

before they  finally left office .   To my mind,  our tradition doesn't lay in those few trophies we have collected over several decades, or the

occasional promotion,  but in the hearts of the fans - young and old - who have shown some appreciation for our heritage. 

So......to whoever the new " responsible person " at Sports Republic is .. please give us back " our Red and White ". 

Whilst I agree wholeheartedly, unfortunately I think it's all about the money.  The stripes just don't go well with a sponsors logo.

Edited by RedWillie

2 hours ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

My favourite away kit ever (even allowing for the similarities to our near neighbours)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Id forgotten about that... didnt we only wear it once ? Might of been when Paul Davis smacked Glenn at Highbury and broke his jaw. 9 game ban was never enough !!

The Highbury assault was in September 88 when we were wearing Hummel. The Admiral flame yellow was worn rarely. It made its debut at Sheffield Wednesday early in the 91-92 season. And I recall us wearing it when winning at Crystal Palace in the 92-93 season. Strangely, it was used with white shorts rather then the blue shorts it was intended to be used with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Nimbus said:

We definitely wore it away to Palace in September 1992, when Iain Dowie scored a brace (after being on one of his barren spells) and he ripped the shirt around the neck in celebration, in true WWF/Hulk stylee in front of the Saints fans! I had a poster of it on my wall as a kid 😆

https://www.11v11.com/matches/crystal-palace-v-southampton-26-september-1992-20888/

Video (not very HD!) - 

Edited by St Louis
  • Like 1