Saints Kits Season 2023/24

Master Bates

I mean I won’t be buying it, but then again I’m in my thirties and haven’t bought a football shirt for maybe twenty years. 😂

I think it’s just too busy as a shirt. It’s not particularly attractive. The only thing that’ll make it more bearable is if the socks are read so the whole kit blends a lot better, but I bet even that is wrong.

Hummel have been pretty dire these past couple of seasons. Looking forward to the contract ending. Equally looking forward to the hideous betting sponsor being sacked off.

• Like 2

Nearly 10 years ago I was told that the standard stripes were the worst seller in the club shop.

It was part of the reason that Cortese plumped for the all red AAP³ shirt.

In a year when retail sales are going to be a larger proportion of our turnover, this shirt is a winner.

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 6

No... .not immediate promotion, but the idea that our " relatively-new " ownership, and our soon-to-be new manager (and his staff) might

want to look back into Saints' long history and learn / remember / that many fans.... and old fogey's like me (first game January 1959 )

have long memories and recall that .....we used to play in red and white striped shirts .... (albeit with / without adverts) .

I'm sort of OK with a " change kit"  in different patterns..  (after all we won the FA Cup in blue and gold..) but it would be a nice gesture

to get a supplier who has some feeling for a little sentiment, and turn the clock back and pay homage to the club's history and give us  

a decent version of the " red and white ", that many past generations still lovingly remember.

One can only hope that those " now-departed director's " didn't approve some form of multi-coloured harlequin patterned kit for next season

before they  finally left office .   To my mind,  our tradition doesn't lay in those few trophies we have collected over several decades, or the

occasional promotion,  but in the hearts of the fans - young and old - who have shown some appreciation for our heritage. 

So......to whoever the new " responsible person " at Sports Republic is .. please give us back " our Red and White ". 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Nearly 10 years ago I was told that the standard stripes were the worst seller in the club shop.

It was part of the reason that Course plumped for the all red AAP³ shirt.

In a year when retail sales are going to be a larger proportion of our turnover, this shirt is a winner.

I simply don’t believe that (not disputing you were told it btw), fans who buy kits will generally buy whatever is on offer. I think most fans are happy to see us in traditional r&w stripes. I can tolerate the odd experimental year but  going two back-to-back smacks of a move away from that. 

4 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

It’s really nice. People will honestly moan about anything. 

I love that saints mix the shirts up. It’s more interesting than Stoke etc who do the same thing every year. 

That’s the point, if they alternated between experimental and traditional kits no one would mind. But they’re not doing that now - just a jumble of poor designs dreamt up by some ponytailed Marketing Exec…

I can’t imagine Celtic or Liverpool fans being so delighted at ditching their traditions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Hummel have been pretty dire these past couple of seasons. Looking forward to the contract ending. Equally looking forward to the hideous betting sponsor being sacked off.

Hummel seem to come up with some pretty decent designs for other clubs, and I prefer them to some of the 'templates' that the larger manufacturers come up with.

12 minutes ago, SW11_Saint said:

That’s the point, if they alternated between experimental and traditional kits no one would mind. But they’re not doing that now - just a jumble of poor designs dreamt up by some ponytailed Marketing Exec…

I can’t imagine Celtic or Liverpool fans being so delighted at ditching their traditions. 

Fault rests with the dickheads at SFC agreeing the design rather than with the designers.

Commercial managers at Celtic or Liverpool wouldn't sanction a ridiculous change, it wouldn't get to the fan stage. 

• Like 1

Obviously there are many that have saved their ‘proper’ red & white striped shirts of years gone by, hence any new shirt that is like that will sell worse than something a bit different or indeed radical. Arguably the most radical design but also the best quality shirt was the promotion run red sash shirt which I believe was the best seller ever. Quality wins every time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Hummel seem to come up with some pretty decent designs for other clubs, and I prefer them to some of the 'templates' that the larger manufacturers come up with.

Fault rests with the dickheads at SFC agreeing the design rather than with the designers.

Commercial managers at Celtic or Liverpool wouldn't sanction a ridiculous change, it wouldn't get to the fan stage. 

Liverpool are just as guilty. They have messed around with shade of red in recent seasons, making it far too dark and in 2021 added orange trim. This season they have at least adopted a traditional design that is just a copy of their kit from the 60s and 70s.

37 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Surely you can keep the basic red and white stripes but come up with a new slant? 

It was tongue in cheek, but not sure there is a new slant.

Any shirt that is created will "look like" one we've had before. There are a finite number of ways stripes can be presented.

Somebody, somewhere will have the same complaint that it's "boring and has been done before".

5 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Obviously there are many that have saved their ‘proper’ red & white striped shirts of years gone by, hence any new shirt that is like that will sell worse than something a bit different or indeed radical. Arguably the most radical design but also the best quality shirt was the promotion run red sash shirt which I believe was the best seller ever. Quality wins every time.

Not having a sponsor on it added to the attraction. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Its just a shirt, I care more about the results on the pitch.

They could play in blue for all I care if we went through the season undefeated.

Agreed.

The worry is that if the club can't get a simple thing like a kit right (again) then what chance is there of them putting out a winning side.

I guess time will tell... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SW11_Saint said:

I simply don’t believe that (not disputing you were told it btw), fans who buy kits will generally buy whatever is on offer. I think most fans are happy to see us in traditional r&w stripes. I can tolerate the odd experimental year but  going two back-to-back smacks of a move away from that. 

Not neccessarily. Fans who buy kits will buy regardless, but in the instance the home kit is gash (e.g. the season just gone), they might go for one of the other options. Personally I liked the green 3rd kit, so got that instead. Season before, it was the black 3rd kit, so still buying, just not buying the home shirt, which would affect sales of it if enough people thought the same.

• Like 1

A shirt often will succeed or fail because of the performance of the team that plays in it. The Pony shirt from 1993-95 will always be remembered because of Le Tissier - but it was a horrible design.

Equally the 2009/2010 and 2011 shirts are often looked backed favourably because we played good football, won a trophy and got promotions. The Sash kit was very different and with no sponsors became an instant classic.

The Keegan shirt from 2018 was popular on here, but we were dog awful that season so I have mixed feelings about it. 

Personally I like the Denmark version, it looks good (although slightly ruined by the gambling sponsor). 

If the rumours about the Away and 3rd kits are true it could be an expensive couple of months for me (my daughter likes the 3rd kit)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

It was part of the reason that Course plumped for the all red AAP³ shirt.

Makes a lot of sense, although at the time of your conversation, wasn't the sash the only non-standard stripes kit since the first Friends Provident kit? 

I'm not defending the stripes, although they have their place in our tradition. Just observing that sash kits are always likely to be best sellers. Otherwise we would surely see a lot more away kit and training kit sales.

2 minutes ago, edprice1984 said:

A shirt often will succeed or fail because of the performance of the team that plays in it. The Pony shirt from 1993-95 will always be remembered because of Le Tissier - but it was a horrible design.

Equally the 2009/2010 and 2011 shirts are often looked backed favourably because we played good football, won a trophy and got promotions. The Sash kit was very different and with no sponsors became an instant classic.

The Keegan shirt from 2018 was popular on here, but we were dog awful that season so I have mixed feelings about it. 

Personally I like the Denmark version, it looks good (although slightly ruined by the gambling sponsor). 

If the rumours about the Away and 3rd kits are true it could be an expensive couple of months for me (my daughter likes the 3rd kit)

Agree, great seasons/players can be associated with shit kits, terrible seasons/players can be associated with great kits. When good kits/players/performances coalesce it’s wonderful. 

My main point isn’t about the kit itself - that’s always going to be subjective - it’s more about moving away from the alternation of stripes and something more disruptive each season. Think most can live with that.

Let’s hope we return to the PL.. wearing r&w stripes. 

13 minutes ago, edprice1984 said:

This. That awful sash kit is my least favourite and my favourite is the 2005 one. But the seasons we had in them were contrast to my opinion of the kits 

I like the new shirt, but then i liked the original. Only thing for me is the sponsor looks awful, not a dan of betting companies anyway, but its the colour that makes it look really bad, think it should have been black

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kitch said:

The shirt's beautiful, but once again the sponsor is horrdendous. Haven't had a good sponsor logo since Veho.

Agree that it's very unfortunate to have a betting company as a sponsor, but at least they've done it nicely this time by making it red and not surrounded by a huge ugly block. It's as good as it can be I think.

This shirt is going to sell so bloody well. Phwoar.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JSUK said:

I like the new shirt, but then i liked the original. Only thing for me is the sponsor looks awful, not a dan of betting companies anyway, but its the colour that makes it look really bad, think it should have been black

And make it stand out more? Nah, they're blended it well, finally. 

40 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Agreed.

The worry is that if the club can't get a simple thing like a kit right (again) then what chance is there of them putting out a winning side.

I guess time will tell... 

are the coaches kit designers and commercial manager now?

pillock.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, JSUK said:

If it wasn't a crappy sponsor then yeah, it should stand out more

We can certainly agree on the sponsor being crap. Hope it peels off like the aap3 ones all have. The Championship promotion kit (Lambert, Fonte, Billy Sharp memories) is my favourite and now looks even better with no sponsor.