Kamaldeen Sulemana

Sheaf Saint

18 minutes ago, Chez said:

only based on what I have seen so far - he can go past a player like they are not there and he has electric pace. Those two facets make him very dangerous and has at the very least changed how some opposing teams have played with fullbacks forced to give up on their attacking duties.

He has had an impact in some games. Maybe not a huge one, and he may not have changed a game so far, but I think given time he will be a match winner for us.

Have you given up on him then Turkish? He certainly has been poor in several games and overall has failed to live up to the price tag.

I’ve not given up on him but he’s done nothing to make me think he’s the man to turn to when we need to change the game. Frazer, Mara and even Brooks and Rothwell in the short time they’ve been here have been far more effective off the bench. He may have pace and a few tricks but so often no end product.  

• Like 2

The last player of his style of play (not needing to get speed up, ability to stop, wait for a defender to react than burst past) was Mane.

When we signed him there was a thread on here slating him as a waste of money.

In the summer Sulemana will be the age Mane was when we signed him.

I don't know how good he will be, but far too early to write him off

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

The last player of his style of play (not needing to get speed up, ability to stop, wait for a defender to react than burst past) was Mane.

Yep true but that doesn’t mean he’s a player we can rely on now to change a game when we need it. He’s not done it in the time he’s been here,  there our others who have. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

I’ve not given up on him but he’s done nothing to make me think he’s the man to turn to when we need to change the game. Frazer, Mara and even Brooks and Rothwell in the short time they’ve been here have been far more effective off the bench. He may have pace and a few tricks but so often no end product.  

He's not a super sub sort of player. He needs to get upto speed with the game and struggles when coming on late with no time 

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

He's such an unusal player. Lighting quick and could beat anyone in this leauge 1-1. Yet, he likes to slow the play down and get into areas where his pace and skill is nullified. 

With someone like Adams dropping in and holding the ball up - someone like Sulamana should be licking his lips at the space inbehind - he just doesn't make those runs. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, West end Saints said:

He could learn a lot from Mane. Maybe he needs to watch some clips of him in action because he has similar attributes in pace and upper body strength.

45 minutes ago, saintant said:

He could learn a lot from Mane. Maybe he needs to watch some clips of him in action because he has similar attributes in pace and upper body strength.

Not convinced he has the same mentality as Mane 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Pretty sure you said that Adam Armstrong - 30 starts in the Premier League - was "never given a chance".

I think we can confidently say that Sulemana will never ever be given a chance based on your expectation of what a chance is.

There is huge competition for places in his role right now, and he is way down the pecking order. He needs to actually do something when he gets his sub appearances. Just like Fraser did, just like Edozie has, just like Brooks has, just like Rothwell has.

My main point was that Armstrong never really got a decent run in the side going . He lost his place to Broja and after that was pretty much behind che or out of position- but let’s not get into that again :).

regarding sule off the bench .. what Fraser did this season is actually pretty rare I think.. when is the last time we had somebody that continuously delivered when coming off the bench like Fraser did?

it’s not easy to make impact in 20 mins or so at the end of games .. many squad players have failed. aribo has also done well from the bench this season actually but it is hard and fans tend expect miracles in the 20 minutes and if they don’t deliver they get even more criticised by fans 

Sulemana has been out for a while and he didn't seem to have adapted to Russball methods in early season, but he has some quality

and I think we need to see exactly where When he can be most effective.    Not sure that he's right as starting player, but like Mara and Edozie

he could be a big impact player after HT in games.  

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

it’s not easy to make impact in 20 mins or so at the end of games .. many squad players have failed. aribo has also done well from the bench this season actually but it is hard and fans tend expect miracles in the 20 minutes and if they don’t deliver they get even more criticised by fans 

Do you realise the manager watches them day in day out at training don’t you? 

The fact is, he has been a pony in the occasional game he’s started & pony when he comes on. He’s done absolutely fuck all to deserve a starting place, and based on performance he is  lucky to even sit on the bench. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Do you realise the manager watches them day in day out at training don’t you? 

The fact is, he has been a pony in the occasional game he’s started & pony when he comes on. He’s done absolutely fuck all to deserve a starting place, and based on performance he is  lucky to even sit on the bench. 

Don’t think this has much to do with training mate .. it’s to do with Fraser grabbing his opportunity with both hands when sulemana got injured .. Fraser deserves his spot and  I’m not arguing against that 

in fact Fraser has shown himself to be the absolute model pro when he’s been out of the team or got dropped he hasn’t  sulked and has just been a pillar of reliability from the start or from the bench 

Comments like this are so refreshing “

“I’ve said it before, if I don’t play - I don’t play.” Fraser told the Daily Echo. “I’m not going to complain about it, I’m just going to be trying to help the lads as much as possible.“If that’s shouting on from the sideline, giving them encouragement or celebrating when they score - that’s the kind of player I want to be. Obviously, I want to play and start every game, but that’s really hard to do in the Championship and at a big club like Southampton. 

• Like 2

We need to ditch players like sulemana that are all style no substance he hasn't done anything to deserve a start and when he has come on he's been poor.... Huge potential yes but much like dejenepo we have hardly seen it and I doubt we ever will. 

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

We need to ditch players like sulemana that are all style no substance he hasn't done anything to deserve a start and when he has come on he's been poor.... Huge potential yes but much like dejenepo we have hardly seen it and I doubt we ever will. 

Djenepo was far more effective.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Possibly, but he's only been here a year. He's 22 and still learning his game. Maybe just give him a little more time before binning him? 

• Like 3

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

If we were mid table, yes. If we are desperate for promotion, no.

We have the luxury of not needing to rely on him. So, using him as and when RM sees fit is a great situation for us. Hopefully he can continue to develop his game and blossom into a star. 

• Like 1

I like Suelemana I cant help it, he's the only X factor player with speed to destroy people we have.

He's can do things other players wish they could, I know everyone expects him to dribble around the opposition team but since injury he seems to be coming on when teams are sitting deep or we never release him quick enough.

I would love to see him on the counter from a corner, think he could be deadly, the open play running is where he can create the most, just needs minutes to find the rhythm like every other player.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Possibly, but he's only been here a year. He's 22 and still learning his game. Maybe just give him a little more time before binning him? 

Happy to give him another year but he needs to show a drastic improvement I guess that will come with more game time 

5 hours ago, Mr X said:

..thinking back the same might be said of Edozie in his early days, but he has improved although not to the extent that he can be an automatic starter.

There are few people on this site ...who voiced similar opinions, and worse... about Sadio Mane before he got established in the side. 

Its a real shame  about the Fraser injury and he’s been a model pro, but still feel kinda excited that this may open the door for  sule to shine now 

All the talk of no end product but he absolute destroyed the millwall defender and put in a beautiful cross for the Arma header 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 3

On 24/02/2024 at 13:26, Convict Colony said:

I like Suelemana I cant help it, he's the only X factor player with speed to destroy people we have.

He's can do things other players wish they could, ...

I would love to see him on the counter from a corner, think he could be deadly, ...

I can see it now: Sulemana in the Sims role, Arma in the Schlong role. Titanic music plays, Anfield silenced and tears on the touchline. Bring it on! 😇 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 24/02/2024 at 15:14, david in sweden said:

..thinking back the same might be said of Edozie in his early days, but he has improved although not to the extent that he can be an automatic starter.

There are few people on this site ...who voiced similar opinions, and worse... about Sadio Mane before he got established in the side. 

I don't think Edozie has improved much or his game has developed a great deal since last season. Opposition has just got worse. 

On 24/02/2024 at 14:26, Convict Colony said:

He's can do things other players wish they could, I know everyone expects him to dribble around the opposition team but since injury he seems to be coming on when teams are sitting deep or we never release him quick enough.

I would love to see him on the counter from a corner, think he could be deadly, the open play running is where he can create the most, just needs minutes to find the rhythm like every other player.

This is how I feel. I keep hearing "no end product" but beating his man and getting a cross in, is end product. If the cross is cut out or the striker doesn't take the chance that's not always on him.

Don't get me wrong, he's been crap in quite a few games, but not all. If he is happy here, and that is not certain, we should stick with him.

• Like 4

Thought I'd bump this on the back of his performance tonight.

I thought we used him well, he kept wide and stretched their team - the spaces in their team in the first half were massive, and we were exploiting that and his pace was adding genuine threat and danger every time we got forward.

But...the biggest criticism I will continue to lay at his door is his lack of any footballing brain. He's quick, decent skill, good technical ability...but all of that means sod all if you don't play the pass at the right time, see the opportunity to cross, know when to shoot or know when to hold off etc. Exactly the same has to be said of Edozie and Mara as well, they're young but they need to start developing a deeper understanding of football. It's not just about speed and skill.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought we used him well, he kept wide and stretched their team - the spaces in their team in the first half were massive, and we were exploiting that and his pace was adding genuine threat and danger every time we got forward.

But...the biggest criticism I will continue to lay at his door is his lack of any footballing brain. He's quick, decent skill, good technical ability...but all of that means sod all if you don't play the pass at the right time, see the opportunity to cross, know when to shoot or know when to hold off etc. Exactly the same has to be said of Edozie and Mara as well, they're young but they need to start developing a deeper understanding of football. It's not just about speed and skill.

Does he have good techincal ability though? He can barely dribble every time I watch him

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Does he have good techincal ability though? He can barely dribble every time I watch him

Yeah I think he does have technical ability, he has some skill in his locker - he just doesn't seem to know what to do with it half the time, that's his biggest issue imo and why he'll never really amount to much at the top level.

Used to make me laugh when people couldn't understand us having Shane Long with his weakness in finishing, without clicking that with his pace and work rate, if he was a lethal finisher he would be Suarez and not playing for us.

All our players will have some weaknesses compared with the top top players.

And remember, think I put it earlier in this thread, that the criticism of Mane was worse in his first season, waste of money, shouldn't have signed him, just a sprinter, runs and stops, headless chicken etc.....

Sulemana is the closest in playing style I've seen for us...

In the summer he will be the age Mane was when he first signed for us. Pace is something that doesn't improve - decision making and end product does, he just could end up pretty decent.....

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

And remember, think I put it earlier in this thread, that the criticism of Mane was worse in his first season, waste of money, shouldn't have signed him, just a sprinter, runs and stops, headless chicken etc.....

Think you might be mixing up Mane's first game with Mane's first season.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Its not just playing the pass at the right time, its accelerating and using his pace at the right time, so often he is in a position to take on a defender and yet he slows down or turns inside or back. Did it last night, had an opportunity to burst past Konate, but turned back. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, West end Saints said:

Used to make me laugh when people couldn't understand us having Shane Long with his weakness in finishing, without clicking that with his pace and work rate, if he was a lethal finisher he would be Suarez and not playing for us.

In the summer he will be the age Mane was when he first signed for us. Pace is something that doesn't improve - decision making and end product does, he just could end up pretty decent.....

None of that means that he could turn out like Mane.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, West end Saints said:

Yes, criticism of Mane was relentless 'anyone want him, I'll drive him there' and comments like that. Fans expect every new player to be the finished article. We are all 'work in progress' 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

Yes, criticism of Mane was relentless 'anyone want him, I'll drive him there' and comments like that. Fans expect every new player to be the finished article. We are all 'work in progress' 

But that doesn’t guarantee that there will be ‘progress’.

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

Its not just playing the pass at the right time, its accelerating and using his pace at the right time, so often he is in a position to take on a defender and yet he slows down or turns inside or back. Did it last night, had an opportunity to burst past Konate, but turned back. 

Konate "you will  not pass me " you mean , no wonder 😄

4 hours ago, Toussaint said:

yep, very much that as well. He doesn't seem to know how to use his 'tools', so it's all pretty ineffective really.

Like Usain Bolt trying to be a footballer because he's quick.

• Like 2

One thing I’d say that’s really positive for him at the moment is that he seems to work very well with our passing out of defence tactics .. especially against teams like Liverpool last night, a few passes and we break the press by hitting it down the line to him ..it turned defence into attack very fast ..

he was a constant threat but also frustrating .. seems to always like slowing down  instead of just using his pace  . Also doesn’t look quite as confident as edozie imo ..  still think there’s a lot to work with here and we can maybe drill some of these things into him 

• Like 1

I can see why Martin played him in this game - he clearly thinks he's better than he is, should be in a 'top' league and therefore will be wanting to turn it on against Liverpool as he did last season. And to be fair to him, he caused Liverpool a lot of problems early on being given the space he doesn't get in the Championship until the familiar failings of not knowing what to do with the ball, not being able to shoot and then the sulky body language when it's not working out. So frustrating as I was really looking forward to seeing him this season. Seems to have gone backwards.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Mr X said:

It's clear he's going to be some player 

It’s all well and good having pace and tricks, but if you don’t have a football brain it doesn’t really matter. 

• Like 1