Kamaldeen Sulemana

Sheaf Saint

11 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

And just look at the results!

Whereas Sulemana would have made a huge difference if he'd played more, with his total lack of ability to either set up or score goals.

I think people are being a bit blinded by the fact that Sulemana scored two goals in a dead rubber at the end of the season, against a Liverpool team that had clearly checked out for their summer holidays and were literally passing the ball to us at times. Even Adam Armstrong scored against them!

It's a bit like Aribo's wonder goal in pre season really

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 3

He was given a fair crack of the whip at the start. There were some flashes of skill and his pace was obvious to see, but he didn't really deliver much in the first seven games.
Jones
Brentford 45
Wolves 90

Selles
Chelsea 59
Leeds 63 
Leicester 80 
Man U 76 
Brentford 90

He looked a little lost playing off the striker, but seeing as he had only played 17, 10, 17, 19, 60, 45, 45, 29, 0 2, 0, 13, 0, 0, 0, 0, 7, 6, 0, 1 and 45 minutes in the Rennes side prior to joining us, perhaps it was not surprising he wasn't fully up to speed. Selles obviously lost faith in him, but it became a selection salad thereafter as we all know.
Spurs 20
West Ham 36
Man City 69
Palace 80
Arsenal 13
Bournemouth 14
Newcastle 70
Forrest 29
Fulham 28
Brighton 19
Liverpool 86

Ely same period

Brentford 45
Wolves 0

Chelsea 87
Leeds 82
Leicester 40
Man U 0
Brentford 58

Spurs 70
West Ham 54
Man City 61
Palace 0
Arsenal 90
Bournemouth 61
Newcastle 19
Forrest 0
Fulham 17
Brighton 71
Liverpool 64

Just now, Chez said:

He was given a fair crack of the whip at the start. There were some flashes of skill and his pace was obvious to see, but he didn't really deliver much in the first seven games.
Jones
Brentford 45
Wolves 90

Selles
Chelsea 59
Leeds 63 
Leicester 80 
Man U 76 
Brentford 90

He looked a little lost playing off the striker, but seeing as he had only played 17, 10, 17, 19, 60, 45, 45, 29, 0 2, 0, 13, 0, 0, 0, 0, 7, 6, 0, 1 and 45 minutes in the Rennes side prior to joining us, perhaps it was not surprising he wasn't fully up to speed. Selles obviously lost faith in him, but it became a selection salad thereafter as we all know.
Spurs 20
West Ham 36
Man City 69
Palace 80
Arsenal 13
Bournemouth 14
Newcastle 70
Forrest 29
Fulham 28
Brighton 19
Liverpool 86

Interesting that he played his most minutes in the last game.    I see him as a star in the making and I would not have put him in the "shop window" against Liverpool.    If he remains to play the Championship with the likes of Edozie, Tella, Mara, a new striker, even Adams.....I see a quick return to the Prem as possible.    That's assuming midfield and CB vacancies are filled well.

19 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Whereas Sulemana would have made a huge difference if he'd played more, with his total lack of ability to either set up or score goals.

I think people are being a bit blinded by the fact that Sulemana scored two goals in a dead rubber at the end of the season, against a Liverpool team that had clearly checked out for their summer holidays and were literally passing the ball to us at times. Even Adam Armstrong scored against them!

It's a bit like Aribo's wonder goal in pre season really

Yeah, when he produces the goods on a cold and windy Tuesday night in Hull then fair enough.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I'd suggest it's more about positional sense, keeping the shape and making life difficult for the opposition without actually making tackles or anything that can be measured in stats.

I'm not saying Ely is an amazing player but this is why he was in the team

Sounds like very easy money to me. I'd expect a little more from someone paid millions for his so-called footballing ability.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chez said:

Jones
Brentford 45
Wolves 90

Selles
Chelsea 59
Leeds 63 
Leicester 80 
Man U 76 
Brentford 90

Spurs 20
West Ham 36
Man City 69
Palace 80
Arsenal 13
Bournemouth 14
Newcastle 70
Forrest 29
Fulham 28
Brighton 19
Liverpool 86

People seem to miss the fact that most players take time to settle but need games to do it. Gakpo at Liverpool is a good example as he looked pretty ordinary in his early games.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, saintwbu said:

I wonder if he has the confidence to score that second goal if he didn’t score the first, had he got off the mark a bit earlier in his time here maybe we’d have seen a different player. Clearly has all the ingredients to be very good, lack of end product thus far is why he plays for us, but you could see what he could do once the confidence was flowing after that first goal. It would be very exciting if him and Alcaraz were still here next season. 

Agreed. Genuinely, him dropping down to the championship for a season would be the best thing he could ever do for his career, imo. 

The only thing is, he'd need to drop down and have the desire to play at that level and prove himself. I don't think he's that sort of character, but we'll see! 

Alcaraz is a gem. One of the most exciting players we've had for a really long time. One of maybe 2 or 3 who actually deserve a move off the back of this season. Agreed he'd rip up the championship and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. 

35 minutes ago, saintant said:

People seem to miss the fact that most players take time to settle but need games to do it. Gakpo at Liverpool is a good example as he looked pretty ordinary in his early games.

Indeed. Mané being another more closer to home example?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I'd suggest it's more about positional sense, keeping the shape and making life difficult for the opposition without actually making tackles or anything that can be measured in stats.

I'm not saying Ely is an amazing player but this is why he was in the team

I'm not having a go at you mate, but jesus christ, if that's the reason for anyone to be in any team week in week out, let alone a Premier League one, then that team deserves everything it gets. 

Manager: "OK, I don't need you to receive the ball, keep the ball, pass effectively, go past people, win headers, tackle anyone or contribute anything going forward. I just need you to sort of stand in vaguely the right place while the game goes on around you. Here's sixty grand a week".

Fucking hell 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Agreed. Genuinely, him dropping down to the championship for a season would be the best thing he could ever do for his career, imo. 

The only thing is, he'd need to drop down and have the desire to play at that level and prove himself. I don't think he's that sort of character, but we'll see! 

Alcaraz is a gem. One of the most exciting players we've had for a really long time. One of maybe 2 or 3 who actually deserve a move off the back of this season. Agreed he'd rip up the championship and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. 

Based on what?

43 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Based on what?

Lets start with the obvious.. "“My future is not in my hands, we don’t know what the future holds. "

I mean the future couldn't be anymore in his hands. He obviously wants to go, if he can.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

Lets start with the obvious.. "“My future is not in my hands, we don’t know what the future holds. "

I mean the future couldn't be anymore in his hands. He obviously wants to go, if he can.  

I agree. He doesn't see himself as a Championship player and it's just a matter if anyone else agrees with him and makes a suitable offer. Shame. He is exciting and there is a possibility of him becoming a great player in time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

I'm not having a go at you mate, but jesus christ, if that's the reason for anyone to be in any team week in week out, let alone a Premiere League one, then that team deserves everything it gets. 

Manager: "OK, I don't need you to receive the ball, keep the ball, pass effectively, go past people, win headers, tackle anyone or contribute anything going forward. I just need you to sort of stand in vaguely the right place while the game goes on around you. Here's sixty grand a week".

Fucking hell 

We are crap, not disputing that! Just think Sulemana has offered even less, despite showing the odd flash of skill

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Feels like perhaps he just needs a run of games with a bit more back room stability. Plus of course playing tactics/formation that suit his game. Thought he was very positive against Liverpool which was half the battle with Saints this season, to often there was no positive movement forwards. which seemed to make the defence nervous and too easy to be caught out. 

• 5 months later...
48 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

He's withdrawn from the Ghana squad.  Hopefully precautionary rather than a more serious injury

Any idea if he travelled over or withdrew before? Hopefully stayed here for recovery rather than faffing around in Heathrow departures queues 

2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Still underperforming for me at the moment.

Exciting to watch when trying to take on that last man but needs more IMHO.

I'm glad we kept him and that he has knuckled down this season (Che I'm looking at you) but if there's one thing this season has shown it's that he still has a lot to learn. A full season at this level will do wonders for him going forwards. Personally I hope we keep him in January as I think his pace will be an asset against tired legs as the season goes on but I understand if Everton or someone wave enough money at us, we'd probably sell.

• Like 1

His final ball could be better and shooting needs some work but I definitely prefer him to Edozie , you can see opposition defenders out of position trying to cover for the full back that Sulemana keeps beating 

Agree with the comment, but our strongest advantage a.t.m. is having Stuart A. and KWP attacking on the right hand side

and therefore less passes going to the left, but I agree that he ought to "have a go " when chances come his way.

25 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I'm glad we kept him and that he has knuckled down this season (Che I'm looking at you) but if there's one thing this season has shown it's that he still has a lot to learn. A full season at this level will do wonders for him going forwards. Personally I hope we keep him in January as I think his pace will be an asset against tired legs as the season goes on but I understand if Everton or someone wave enough money at us, we'd probably sell.

I can't see anyone paying the £30M we supposedly want, and we won't sell him at a loss

Ryan Fraser, Sam Edozie and KS are amongst the most talented one on one players in this league. 

One of them has found the magic key to turning that talent and pace into goals.

It’s the one with the older head on his shoulders. His experience has helped turn our possession advantage into goals. 

One view of why Sam and KS have not destroyed this league ( yet) is that, yes both try hard to comply with instructions and yes both are given a certain amount of latitude on the ball one on one yet both are still something of a question mark out of possession. Both guilty of switching off mentally a couple of times for split seconds has led to goals conceded. 

When attacking it’s apparent to me they are sometimes less instinctual more instruction based. And for players who clearly have pace, flair and rely on split second reflexes, that slight element of having to compute what it is they been told to do in a given position versus what their instincts tell them to do is just slightly losing them that edge over the FB’s of this league. 

It’s an age old problem for coaches of young talents. The solution is generally (unless they are truly exceptional) is yes massively encourage the instinct BUT not just to let them do what instincts say but to try to encourage good habits into that talent such that they too become instinct also - like for example knowing exactly what to do & where to be OUT of position at any given moment.
Talents like KS and Sam often know what to do with the ball at their feet up front but switch off when it’s not near them. Ralph used to call it  “ automatism” ie to do the right thing automatically on instinct without thinking. Top players always seem to be in the right place. 

Fraser has the experience already so he is in the right place more often even if his future potential ceiling is not at the same level as the other two. 

IF KS / SE can improve positional concentration, keep positive (but remain humble enough to be willing and able to improve)then imo they will both be superstars.

The current coaching and squad composition set up is ideal for them this season. Especially with players like RF near them. Patience and coolness under pressure to take the chance when they get it is the next step. 

IMO Both can be £50m players if they listen and learn and we are EPL season. 

Edited by gio1saints

Not going to pretend that KS is the finished article but I think having strikers that have decent instincts and good movement would help him when it comes to the final ball.  There's loads of instances where he's put really dangerous crosses in but no one there, or no one gambling near post and getting in front of the defender.  I'm hoping Ross Stewart helps in that respect.

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Not going to pretend that KS is the finished article but I think having strikers that have decent instincts and good movement would help him when it comes to the final ball.  There's loads of instances where he's put really dangerous crosses in but no one there, or no one gambling near post and getting in front of the defender.  I'm hoping Ross Stewart helps in that respect.

I’m trying not to get too carried away here  but I do think the Loch Ness Drogba is the missing piece of our attacking jigsaw, if he can stay fit. Kameldeen and KWP dominate their wings, we just need that proper clinical CF. 

At times, when we have taken KS off, it has emboldened opposing teams slightly, with them able to push up more and the right back being able to attack more. 

I want to see him starting and I also want to see him finishing a few games too. Sure, Fraser has got a couple of well taken goals, so offers a nice change of pace/qualities, but if we get KS really firing, we can go places this season. 

• Like 1

His potential is ridiculous at this level. We need attackers to get on his wavelength and start tapping in the fifa crosses. But the guy is so fast and has so much control that he's basically dribbling around players in our box and then carries the ball up the field as opposed to clearing it. He wins his own knock ons countless times per match basically. Ridiculous pace and ability. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

Not sure if it's me, but he comes across a bit arrogant there. 

“I think I will get more assists if the boys catch up and come in the box - more than goals this season if they catch up”

It sounds like he's saying he's too good for the team and the other players either aren't on his level or aren't on the same wavelength. 

Or it might be one of those that doesn't come across well in print. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SaintNewForest said:

“I think I will get more assists if the boys catch up and come in the box - more than goals this season if they catch up”

It sounds like he's saying he's too good for the team and the other players either aren't on his level or aren't on the same wavelength. 

It's the sort of thing I can imagine he said with a smile on his face, a bit of a joke really.

Good to hear he's happy. Makes it less likely he'll try and force a move in January although if a Premier League team panic and offer us or him a load of cash he'll probably go.

1 hour ago, SaintNewForest said:

Its a bit of fun, its banter,|I guess he's laughing as he says it!

There's been improvements in some of the other areas in his game recently. Opponents know about his pace. So they've been giving him extra attention, which helps us on the other flank, quite often with AA popping up.

RM's system is getting better, allowing him some opportunities to use pace, but often teams have reset, as we pass or have compacted to deny us passing space. So RM is getting him to bring others into the game more, and to work on getting into his own shooting chances, as Edozie has been encouraged to do.

Little changes so far, but he'll end up a better rounded player, with more to his game. And when teams do let him use his pace/ play a high line we know how talented he is there already.

I have great hopes for Sully and keep reminding myself of Sadio Mane when he first came to the club. I think everyone can see Sully has bags of potential and now and again he has shown flashes of the player we believe we bought. Right now i am a little disappointed in him BUT am quietly optimistic he will develop into a very exciting player who will destroy defences at this level.

15 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

It only comes across like that if you read it with a serious face!

He's clearly having a bit of a joke as he says it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

Dont think its arrogant, he is expecting to be a top player and I like it, he expects to have 10 assists, he wants more runners in the box, he wants to be aggressive, we've been crying out for this type of winger for years instead of the turn around and pass back type we've had. 

• Like 1

On 16/11/2023 at 22:12, The Cat said:

It's the sort of thing I can imagine he said with a smile on his face, a bit of a joke really.

Good to hear he's happy. Makes it less likely he'll try and force a move in January although if a Premier League team panic and offer us or him a load of cash he'll probably go.

He's no irreplaceable and we do have quite a lot of options on the wing. I'd certainly like to see Amo Ameyew get more of a chance. 

• Confused 1

On 16/11/2023 at 12:37, SaintNewForest said:

Err, I think he's literally just joking about being the fastest player at the club by a mile.

On 22/11/2023 at 00:23, verlaine1979 said:

Err, I think he's literally just joking about being the fastest player at the club by a mile.

I think anecdotally he must be quite easily the fastest over 10 yards. Have we any actual data though?

Who would you have in your top five over 10 yards in our current squad? 

4 hours ago, gio1saints said:

I think anecdotally he must be quite easily the fastest over 10 yards. Have we any actual data though?

Who would you have in your top five over 10 yards in our current squad? 

From the world cup at least data wise and i would suggest in our squad the Scottish players would be up there speed wise whenever there is a bill to pay.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1351058/fastest-players-qatar-world-cup/#:~:text=Ghana's Kamaldeen Sulemana was the,side Stade Rennais in 2021.

Edited by Convict Colony

On 16/11/2023 at 20:37, SaintNewForest said:

Good, we need more arrogant players on the pitch, rather than the ones we've had recently feeling sorry for themselves after another defeat.

I liked the comment about us as a club getting back to where we belong.

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I have come to realise that he can’t use his left foot. I watched him more closely last night and he never tried to go past his defender and cross with his left. Can anyone remember him making a pass with it?

As opposed to KWP who seems equally comfortable with either.

Absolutely. KWP and AA, especially last Night, didn’t look to shift the ball onto their right foot and just shot. Nothing I’ve seen of KS justifies his fee so far

• Like 3