Southampton 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread

coalman

There's so much intrigue between now and Saturday. Whether Jones gets sacked before tonight as rumoured, the forum tonight and what they are possibly going to say to defend themselves, the press conference on Thursday and if Jones is going to be there and what he will say, the next B team game and who will play in it and finally the lineup just before the game, what formation his u shackled team is going to be in and who is in and out. Its fascinating and never dull being a saints fan. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

There's so much intrigue between now and Saturday. Whether Jones gets sacked before tonight as rumoured, the forum tonight and what they are possibly going to say to defend themselves, the press conference on Thursday and if Jones is going to be there and what he will say, the next B team game and who will play in it and finally the lineup just before the game, what formation his u shackled team is going to be in and who is in and out. Its fascinating and never dull being a saints fan. 

I'm not sure why SR would sack Jones today - haven't they already confirmed he is still in charge and will be or the Wolves game at least?

7 minutes ago, saintant said:

I'm not sure why SR would sack Jones today - haven't they already confirmed he is still in charge and will be or the Wolves game at least?

I very much doubt he's going today but I haven't seen confirmation from anywhere that he's definitely in charge for Wolves. I expect we will know more tonight but certainly the fact he hasn't gone already strongly hints that's the case. 

Edited by hypochondriac

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

There's so much intrigue between now and Saturday. Whether Jones gets sacked before tonight as rumoured, the forum tonight and what they are possibly going to say to defend themselves, the press conference on Thursday and if Jones is going to be there and what he will say, the next B team game and who will play in it and finally the lineup just before the game, what formation his u shackled team is going to be in and who is in and out. Its fascinating and never dull being a saints fan

I’ve been using that phrase a lot just lately gassing with friends about Saints…..

So I've finally cracked the thing that's been puzzling me - where did that performance against Man City come from? It's the one anomaly in the otherwise predictable Jones clueless shit-show. Then the answer came to me.

The players weren't playing for Jones - they were playing for Pep. A chance to impress in front of a true manager.

What is concerning me now is Ankerson's lack of courage to admit he made a horrendous mistake in hiring this angry little man. I really cannot believe they gave him that sort of contract without doing their homework. Did they talk to anyone at Stoke?

Oh, and the Wolves game. I'm so tired of wanting us to win but also to lose heavily so we can rectify this mistake and, hopefully, begin the turnaround.

Crazy thought or lateral thinking? - Bring back Ralph as interim manager until the end of the season (if we can persuade him). He's rested after his sabbatical. Knows the team and the players. Still has the respect of most of the fans. Has some new material to work with. Could be one of the very few that could hit the ground running and pull off one of those remarkable string of performances we know he has in his locker.

(Oh, and I was in the 'time to go now Ralph' crowd too, so no need to play the hypocrite card).

Edited by Vancouver Saint
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Crazy thought or lateral thinking? - Bring back Ralph as interim manager until the end of the season (if we can persuade him). He's rested after his sabbatical. Knows the team and the players. Still has the respect of most of the fans. Has some new material to work with. Could be one of the very few that could hit the ground running and pull off one of those remarkable string of performances we know he has in his locker.

(Oh, and I was in the 'time to go now Ralph' crowd too, so no need to play the hypocrite card).

Ralph's not coming back. That bridge is burnt imo.

Personally I'd take bielsa managing the u23 option ahead of next season (What he wanted to do at everton).

Otherwise I'm pretty much what's the point in dredging the barrel for an interim (pretty much guaranteeing relegation) and maximising Jones payout. Wait to the summer and clean house(assuming we don't see a sudden upturn)

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Personally I'd take bielsa managing the u23 option ahead of next season (What he wanted to do at everton).

Otherwise I'm pretty much what's the point in dredging the barrel for an interim (pretty much guaranteeing relegation) and maximising Jones payout. Wait to the summer and clean house(assuming we don't see a sudden upturn)

The crazy thing is that I wanted Ralph out as his time here was clearly spent with odd formations and ideas BUT conversely I would definitely say he would have got better results than Jones has so far. Sometimes it really is better the devil you know although, of course, none of us knew we'd be saddled with Jones when Ralph went.

• Like 2

As he was in the training photo today it would be highly unlikely he will be gone before the Wolves game.

Brace yourselves for 5-3-2 hoof ball, Lyanco, Janny B and Salisu as our centre halves. Bree and Perraud as wing backs unless KWP is fit.

JWP, Lavia and Diallo with Che and tall Paul up top.

There is no room for wingers in this system so Orsic, Kamaldeen will be on after half time when we are 2-0 down, after he brings on Moi.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, northam soul said:

As he was in the training photo today it would be highly unlikely he will be gone before the Wolves game.

Brace yourselves for 5-3-2 hoof ball, Lyanco, Janny B and Salisu as our centre halves. Bree and Perraud as wing backs unless KWP is fit.

There is no room for wingers in this system so Orsic, Kamaldeen will be on after half time when we are 2-0 down, after he brings on Moi.

Not far off I reckon, but I can see him dropping Lavia for Elmo. At which point I’ll cry.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

The crazy thing is that I wanted Ralph out as his time here was clearly spent with odd formations and ideas BUT conversely I would definitely say he would have got better results than Jones has so far. Sometimes it really is better the devil you know although, of course, none of us knew we'd be saddled with Jones when Ralph went.

But the whole point is Ralph was done. Results had spiralled downwards so we got rid. At that point SR and, in particular Ankersen, made a monumental feck up by appointing Mad Nate. Why SR did that needs to be explained in detail by Ankersen. He should be held to account for a ridiculous decision which has only made a bad situation ten times worse.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saint 1952 said:

Where is Mcarthy - think Bazunu needs taking out of the firing line for a week or two

Have to agree McCarthy for all his faults is till our best keeper .

Not sorting out the keepers position is Just one of many Fuck ups Sport republic have made the last year . 

KWP not in any of the pics. Jones said he was subbed as a precaution but it looked like a hamstring injury to me.

He also said it was only cramp when Lavia went off at Anfield and it was a 2 month long cramp so hard to really trust what he says on injuries. Its as if he is so sensitive that he thinks people are going to have a go at him for a player being injured so goes into this defence mechanism mode saying there is no injury when it would just be better to say the player will be assessed and leave it at that.

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

Read today that Ralph is going to Hoffenheim.

I always said when sacking Ralph

Becareful what you wish for ... ?

He never had us in the relegation postions and some Saints fans have some very short memories of what a shit side we were before he arrived

Just games after Ralph was gone you got the shite and panic ...

Really dissapointed the fans helped gte rid of Ralph ..

Could he return , would you in his postion , he`s probably still laughing at the complete incompetance of the club that probably tried to stiffle his team selections as well

£10M pay off and sat on the  side lines must be a great view from where the club is now ....

8 minutes ago, Spitz said:

Why Sharp? Bring Tella back, scored twice tonight!

Still infuriates me that we refused to recall him and instead brought back garbage bednarek. It is really going to annoy me that we’re going to end up selling him this summer if he ends up thriving in premier league. Meanwhile our mega bucks Buy will likely run off back to France on loan because we’re now in the championship.

45 minutes ago, SaturdayGirl said:

He never had us in the relegation postions and some Saints fans have some very short memories of what a shit side we were before he arrived

Could he return , would you in his postion , he`s probably still laughing at the complete incompetance of the club that probably tried to stiffle his team selections as well

£10M pay off and sat on the  side lines must be a great view from where the club is now ....

What you "always said" in the lead up to Ralph being sacked was wrong then, and wrong now.   It wasn't a case of being careful what you wish for - more a matter of recruiting a better replacement.   A manager with some pedigree - proven strategic, technical and tactical abilities and  importantly, a measured temperament able to deal with a range of people and personalities without too much rancour, defensiveness and blame shifting.    That's Ankersen's mistake, not getting rid of a clapped out Ralph.   Compounded now by delaying the inevitable need to get Jones out.

• Like 3

Now we know for definite that Nathan is here for Saturday, I'm kind of intrigued to see what happens. I do wonder if the formation or the players will be radically different now he's supposedly going to cast off the shackles imposed by others onto him. Almost certainly there will be little change or something mad like 5 at the back and defensive but it's interesting nonetheless. 

Edited by hypochondriac

Know what?? I'm gonna give him Saturday. He's claimed to be the best manager in Europe - Fine. Back it up

Wolves are a few places above us. Maybe they've got a very very very very slightly better squad but to the best manager in Europe, that shouldn't be much of a hurdle. 

Win 4-0 on Saturday, Keep us up, get to the FA Cup Semi final and then maybe we'll have to eat humble pie. But it starts Saturday, by Jones' logic, we should comfortably win.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SaturdayGirl said:

"Be careful what you wish for?" 🤣 Blaming the fans for our current predicament is extremely naive of you.
I don't understand your love in for Ralph. The club have spent record numbers since the summer on new players, but decided to go bargain basement for a manager. This wasn't the predicted outcome.

The replacement for Ralph, and it needed to be made, should have been much much better than what we got. What makes you think keeping Ralph would have seen us safe? We were a shit side for a couple of seasons.

please drop the all seeing soothsayer act, you really are on your own with it.

• Like 2

So we are going back to Jones ball on Saturday then whatever that is.

Oh wait a minute didn’t he have 5 weeks with them when he first arrived to implement Jones ball ( I am sure he said on many occasions that the players bought into it).

So it will be another Forest Mk2.

He could always use our 5 centre half’s as we struggle from crosses as Janny B has played right back with ABK, DCC and Lyanco in the middle with Salisu at left back.

Add tall Paul into the mix and the sky is the limit, we should be able to get on the end of one of JWP crosses for a change.

Then you’ll have Moi and Diallo running the midfield so what can possibly go wrong.

• Haha 2

So our spineless board have decided that we're stuck with Jones for a bit longer and have backed us for relegation... There's not a lot of fun on the horizon now other than to look forward to seeing what the self proclaimed best manager in Europe attributes to himself in his Thursday press conference. Has he discovered the cure for the common cold? Was he the first man on the moon? Did he invent aggression in football? Is he the 2nd coming (or God willing the first going)?

One thing for sure is that we won't be seeing a dose of humility or an apology for blaming everyone else anytime soon.

I suppose it's never dull being a Saints fan.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Still infuriates me that we refused to recall him and instead brought back garbage bednarek. It is really going to annoy me that we’re going to end up selling him this summer if he ends up thriving in premier league. Meanwhile our mega bucks Buy will likely run off back to France on loan because we’re now in the championship.

There can be only one Nathan.

49 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

All I know more people will be watching this game than before Jones had his meltdown.

Will be fascinating:

How will we play

What is the team 

What about the body language

If we lose what will the post match interview be like

If we win what will his post match interview be like?

19 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

So our spineless board have decided that we're stuck with Jones for a bit longer and have backed us for relegation... There's not a lot of fun on the horizon now other than to look forward to seeing what the self proclaimed best manager in Europe attributes to himself in his Thursday press conference. Has he discovered the cure for the common cold? Was he the first man on the moon? Did he invent aggression in football? Is he the 2nd coming (or God willing the first going)?

One thing for sure is that we won't be seeing a dose of humility or an apology for blaming everyone else anytime soon.

You say spineless board, but could be argued they are the opposite , they choose their man and have the backbone to stick with him despite the tsunami of descent from our fans, they came out and fronted the forum yesterday I would say that deserves some respect 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, northam soul said:

This is exactly what I expect the shape and personnel to be on Saturday.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

You can say a lot of things about the board, I wouldn't say spineless is one of them, they've pretty much faced down the fans and backed the manager, for now anyway.  It would have been far easier and more spineless to sack Jones but you can't do that every time the fans don't like a manager.

Whether or not we agree with that decision doesn't matter, they've made the decision, hopefully they'll realise the error of their ways and he'll be binned off after the inevitable dross, confusion and loss served up on Saturday, but I'd say it was a pretty ballsy move by the board to keep him on

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

All I know more people will be watching this game than before Jones had his meltdown.

Will be fascinating:

How will we play

What is the team 

What about the body language

If we lose what will the post match interview be like

Perhaps they have offered him one final noose, while they do the necessary (ie laborious/Sinclair Spectrum-bashing) due diligence on some other schmuck to take over

11 hours ago, SaturdayGirl said:

yawn he was shit, as is jones. any half decent manager would have produced an up turn in results and shut up any comment such as this.

• Like 1

i’m going 2-1 wolves. I think we’ll play quite a lot of hoofball and they’re coming off a good result against liverpool. I hope the atmosphere is supportive of the team and not just anti jones chants throughout. save it for FT or if we go 3 down… take notes from everton’s sit in protest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

We didn't. You cannot recall from a season long loan without the agreement of the loanee club and the player. From what I understand neither Burnley or Tella wanted him to leave Burnley, so nothing we could do. Tella would have been a mug to come back, playing in a successful team, doing well with a manager and club that appreciates him. I seriously doubt we will ever see him in a Saints shirt again.

Does the DJ at St Mary's still do his amusing mix at half-time ?  Missed it at my last home game against West Ham as I was in the concourse. 

If so, I have a few requests . 

Joy Division - A New Dawn Fades

Kaiser Chiefs - I Predict a Riot

The Damned - Smash it Up

Fun Boy 3 - The Lunatics have taken over the Asylum 

• Haha 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic