New Manager

Bakovnetski

23 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Have to say, I would love this guy.

This is who i wanted, instead we got Jones. We dont need someone with premiership experience, we need someone who players can look up to and improve their game. Poch and Koeman had no prem experience, just what they have achieved as a player and was good enough for our players to give them a chance to help them improve and improve they did. If this guy took over instead of Jones, I'm pretty sure he would of got us playing a lot better and made better use of the WC break. SR needs to step up and do the right thing, not another "cheap" option. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Athletic now reporting we're considering Marsch. 

Ankersen out. 

Rasmus is a car crash, lurching from one disaster to the next. Constant changes, no plan, no serious footballing thinking. Marsch isn't the worst, but he's not keeping us up and he has nothing that will get the fans onboard or excited. Offers nothing that is required for the role right now, and if that's what we're looking for / the best rasmus can manage then we should just wait and make a seriously well thought through appointment. 

Just screams of no plan and no ambition. 

Edited by Saint86

6 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

The days of Adkins, Potchettino & Koeman seem a lifetime ago.

Now we are being seriously linked with Leeds failed manager. The one manager this season who is even worse at using his subs than a broken Ralph was.

The days of Adkins we were in League One and the days of Pochettino no one had ever heard of him and there was uproar.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

The days of Adkins, Potchettino & Koeman seem a lifetime ago.

Now we are being seriously linked with Leeds failed manager. The one manager this season who is even worse at using his subs than a broken Ralph was.

Ralph was a good appointment for us. A manager with a distinct and stand out style and a good reputation in Europe. Some of the stuff he had us playing was superb, but he was let down by years of under investment in an ever weakening team relative to the league. We need to be going out and getting another exciting and promising manager (like galardo).

Marsch is absolutely not that man, although he'd be a massive improvement over Jones - but can you imagine if we get Leeds' unwanted mananger and they go and get gallardo (as is rumoured). 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

The days of Adkins we were in League One and the days of Pochettino no one had ever heard of him and there was uproar.

Adkins - WTF have they done sacking Pardew! I seem to remember a few moaning about us appointing a new physio as head coach

Pochetino wide spread anger that Nige had been sacked and we’d appointed someone who’d been sacked by Espanyol and didn’t speak English!

The rewriting of history about these glorious ambitious appointments is fabulous 

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, DrunkenSaint said:

This is who i wanted, instead we got Jones. We dont need someone with premiership experience, we need someone who players can look up to and improve their game. Poch and Koeman had no prem experience, just what they have achieved as a player and was good enough for our players to give them a chance to help them improve and improve they did. If this guy took over instead of Jones, I'm pretty sure he would of got us playing a lot better and made better use of the WC break. SR needs to step up and do the right thing, not another "cheap" option. 

The thing is Jones wasn’t a cheap option, someone correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t we shell out about £5m in compensation to Luton…….?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Adkins - WTF have they done sacking Pardew! I seem to remember a few moaning about us appointing a new physio as head coach

Pochetino wide spread anger that Nige had been sacked and we’d appointed someone who’d been sacked by Espanyol and didn’t speak English!

The rewriting of history about these glorious ambitious appointments is fabulous 

I'm not really talking about people's reactions to the appointments. I'm talking about the success of the appointments. Adkins (took us up 2 divisions and had us mid table in the prem), Potchettino took us further upwards and then was headhunted. Koeman took us into europe and then was headhunted.

Perhaps we should promote from within, Marianne Spacey seems to know how to grind out results, at least in the Championship.

Other thought was perhaps we should go for Lampard, Uncle 'Arry could come and help him out and bring the boy Jamie along too.

Poch would never come back, and certainly not while KL is still around (she is still around isn't she?). Gerrard is off to Leeds, and would jump ship the minute Klopp leaves Liverpool.

I honestly have no clue who we could get, but it is worrying that the same people and process who recruited Jones will be looking for his replacement. Did they have other names lower on their list than Jones? Who says they can't do any worse. The bloke from Havant & Waterlooville might be worth a shout.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SotonianWill said:

we could hire poch and people would moan as he snaked us for spurs.

you quite literally cannot hire anyone without someone moaning, like me going on to moan about anyone who moans about marschs use of the word “soccer” despite it being a term used to describe football in britain for many years, causing a multiplier effect of moaning and inevitable relegation. 

Agreed!

I always thought we invented the term soccer (association football) to distinguish it from rugger (rugby football). Quite why we then got annoyed at the rest of the world adopting it I’ve never understood.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, capitalsaint said:

Agreed!

I always thought we invented the term soccer (association football) to distinguish it from rugger (rugby football). Quite why we then got annoyed at the rest of the world adopting it I’ve never understood.

The modern term is soccerball pal

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Who would you go for Monk?

Short answer based on my assumptions that we’re going down; Michael Carrick

Strategically, if I’m Rasmus I’d be exploring the opportunity to have a conversation to ‘sell the role’ with any of Bosz, Tedesco, Kompany or Gallardo. However, all of them would require a number of assurances and a bloody large survival bonus.

I really don’t like the links with Gerrard, Nuno and especially Marsch (I think culturally American managers/coaches will struggle in the UK).

Intrigued by Bielsa, I reckon it’ll be caranage if he came in.

Edited by Monk
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, capitalsaint said:

Agreed!

Seen this said a lot the past few months, like some kind of justification for the states' continuing to use soccer (it's weird that this is needed). 

However... When looking into the history of football and the English football league in particular. 

"The first meeting was held at Anderton's Hotel in London on 23 March 1888 on the eve of the FA Cup Final. The Football League was formally created and named in Manchester at a further meeting on 17 April at the Royal Hotel. The name "Association Football Union" was proposed by McGregor but this was felt too close to "Rugby Football Union". Instead, "The Football League" was proposed by Major William Sudell, representing Preston, and quickly agreed upon."

And does the rest of the world use soccer? Or basically just the USA? 

Edited by Saint86

4 minutes ago, Monk said:

Short answer based on my assumptions that we’re going down; Michael Carrick

Strategically, if I’m Rasmus I’d be exploring the opportunity to have a conversation to ‘sell the role’ with any of Bosz, Tedesco, Kompany or Gallardo. However, all of them would require a number or assurances and a bloody large survival bonus.

I really don’t like the links with Gerrard, Nuno and especially Marsch (I think culturally American managers/coaches will struggle in the UK).

Intrigued by Bielsa. 

Cheers 

28 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

The thing is Jones wasn’t a cheap option, someone correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t we shell out about £5m in compensation to Luton…….?

All part of his devious cunning plan to get enough cash to buy a new team when he goes back there next season 😂

• Haha 1

Bruno Lage or Nuno I think could/should be solid options that fit and have prem experience 

Poch obviously but we have no chance

Bielsa BUT I don’t think he’ll have a quick enough impact to save us

Gallardo Im not convinced about, another with tactics that just don’t fit the current set up at the club and there must be a reason why he hasn’t taken a role in Europe yet

Marsch… bottom of the list but like I explained previously I think the fit is largely a good one

Gerrard is a heavy no from me, is a relatively big name from his playing days but I don’t see a particularly impressive manager there

Carrick is far too early in his managerial career but its an interesting name and I think is/will be a good manager

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Seen this said a lot the past few months. 

However... 

"The first meeting was held at Anderton's Hotel in London on 23 March 1888 on the eve of the FA Cup Final. The Football League was formally created and named in Manchester at a further meeting on 17 April at the Royal Hotel. The name "Association Football Union" was proposed by McGregor but this was felt too close to "Rugby Football Union". Instead, "The Football League" was proposed by Major William Sudell, representing Preston, and quickly agreed upon."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Football_Association

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrunkenSaint said:

So they are now going for the bloke who they wanted to replace Ralph when things were not going our way but ended up at leeds after failing really badly at Leipzig, our board are a joke if this is even true let alone he gets appointed.

Essentially the footballing love child of Ralph Kruger and Nathan Jones.  If this happens SFC is essentially trolling its fans whilst skipping into the void.  

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Bruno Lage or Nuno I think could/should be solid options that fit and have prem experience 

Gallardo Im not convinced about, another with tactics that just don’t fit the current set up at the club and there must be a reason why he hasn’t taken a role in Europe yet

Marsch… bottom of the list but like I explained previously I think the fit is largely a good one

Gerrard is a heavy no from me, is a relatively big name from his playing days but I don’t see a particularly impressive manager there

Carrick is far too early in his managerial career but its an interesting name and I think is/will be a good manager

Agree about Carrick. He's really turned Boro around this season.

45 minutes ago, saint77 said:

At a guess no inside info but would imagine it will be someone on this forum as 90% of them know so much about management be stupid to look elsewhere 

Well 90% and possibly more knew Jones would be a disaster and have been proved right so let's not reinvent the wheel and suggest that Ankersen and SR know best because they clearly don't.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

Well 90% and possibly more knew Jones would be a disaster and have been proved right so let's not reinvent the wheel and suggest that Ankersen and SR know best because they clearly don't.

They do have the advantage of owning the Club.

2 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Shall we give it to Sol Campbell? If we don’t, he might kick off in the media that he was overlooked again.

Irrespective, any managers out there with nice hair we can get?

campbell and jones have got to be the most egotistical narcissistic management pair in the history of anything.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Good summary.

Nuno would be a superb choice but likely too late in the season for him to come now - November arrival he would have had us mid table.  Lage I think is realistic and would set us up properly, an intelligent young coach.  So personally my first and second choices.

Bielsa would be great to see, but he is crackers and would have wanted longer with this squad plus demand a helicopter and a Yorkshire terrier in the office or somesuch.  Pochettino no chance.  Gallardo a roll of the dice but an exciting and credible roll.

Marsch - frying pan into the furnace, less irritating than Jones but that's a very low bar.  Ramus and Marty should be sectioned if they go near this.

Gerrard, big name but I don't think would fit Saints and a dour bastard.  Carrick is the manager than Ankersen thought he was getting in Jones, he'll stay where he is for now I would imagine as no major financial impetus to up sticks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Shall we give it to Sol Campbell? If we don’t, he might kick off in the media that he was overlooked again.

Irrespective, any managers out there with nice hair we can get?

Well we’ve had the fittest man alive, why not give it to one of the greatest minds alive?

https://www.football365.com/news/sol-campbell-im-one-of-the-greatest-minds-in-football

• Haha 3