New Manager

Bakovnetski

46 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think you give it to him in the back of this, keep the dynamic as it is. You don't want to commit to him after 1 win (no matter how impressive) and then lose out on another manager further down the line.

Nothing wrong with holding fire and keeping things as they are, re-asses them when we need to but no need to commit to him just yet.

Most likely Selles gets the short term gig till end of the season unless something odd happens. I'd hope they hold off doing anything official until after the Leeds game at the earliest.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Most likely Selles gets the short term gig till end of the season unless something odd happens. I'd hope they hold off doing anything official until after the Leeds game at the earliest.

I’m only going off the bbc interview, but his words were: “I’m here for the club, the fans, and if that’s my position until the end the season I’m happy to do it, if not then we’ll take some decisions”.

The ball is in SR’s court. If we’re going with Ruben then the caretaker tag needs to go. Give him to the end of the season as de facto manager, and give the option for the full time gig. Players want to see continuity, he could well be it.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Personally think if we beat Leeds we should give it to him until the end of the season. 

If we win two in a row there is absolutely zero doubt he should get it.

I agree in holding off until after the Leeds game but wouldn't be opposed to him getting it now whilst there's some feel good factor within the club off the back of today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Is MLG ever going to say anything ever again, or just stalk everyone's posts and put confused smileys on them? A really wimpy way to contribute to a forum, either be part of it or just sod off entirely.

It’s certainly getting to be very odd behaviour.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Is MLG ever going to say anything ever again, or just stalk everyone's posts and put confused smileys on them? A really wimpy way to contribute to a forum, either be part of it or just sod off entirely.

TBH he doesn’t offer anything remotely interesting or insightful either on here or on twitter.. just stalks around looking for anything he can be pedantic about

He is basically the Jeremy Vine of anything Saints.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Why do you care, seems a bit odd worrying what another poster is going to do.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 3

I’m also missing DT these last few hours. Hope he’s ok, unlike him to be silent when we’ve won a game.

Anyway, much as I’m delighted with yesterday I think we should wait a couple more games before committing to Selles. Even mad Nate got a couple of wins on the spin. I’d say if he can get to the end of the Leicester game unbeaten and - most critically- look to have the players organised and playing for him still, he will deserve it long-term. But one amazing result, pleasing as it is, is not enough to go on IMHO.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

When he posted here he was roundly abused, and still is even when not posting for some reason, and also couldn't seem to stop himself getting into the same tired arguments with the same tired posters.  Can't really blame him for not bothering anymore

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

When he posted here he was roundly abused, and still is even when not posting for some reason, and also couldn't seem to stop himself getting into the same tired arguments with the same tired posters.  Can't really blame him for not bothering anymore

I agree, the abuse he got at times was way over the top. 

But he doesn't help himself when he would be defending a player/the club on here and then you'd see him on twitter criticising a player/the club for the exact same thing. It comes across as just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.

• Like 1

I can't believe we are discussing MLG on this thread, at this time.

For possibly the first time this season we have had a match when the players were really responding to their manager, put themselves on the line time and time again, rode their luck but made their luck, and came away with three points.

Selles might lack experience, he might be slightly tarnished by working as number two to The Stale One and The Mad One, but he has seized his opportunity. He speaks well, inspires, brings confidence and got a result. Bring in someone new, be it Big Sam or Jurgen the German, and it would take weeks, and games, to even get to know the players, never mind work out how to get the best from them. We don't have that time.

So, let him earn his tripes, then, if it has gone well, give him a three year contract. If yesterday was a flash in the pan, well, he's still a better bet than Lampard!

• Like 8

13 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Currently posting as Bad Wolf and Saturday girl, no doubt a few others as well. Very weird behaviour though but then he is weird 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

I agree, the abuse he got at times was way over the top. 

But he doesn't help himself when he would be defending a player/the club on here and then you'd see him on twitter criticising a player/the club for the exact same thing. It comes across as just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.

Oh behave. He used to jump on peoples posts picking them up on the smallest little detail and bore them into submission. Funnily enough when he got pulled up on it and shown as wrong the arrogant refusal to admit he was ever wrong was hilarious 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Oh behave. He used to jump on peoples posts picking them up on the smallest little detail and bore them into submission. Funnily enough when he got pulled up on it and shown as wrong the arrogant refusal to admit he was ever wrong was hilarious 

No I didn't, and it's "people's", actually. 

• Haha 7

37 minutes ago, Paulwantsapint81 said:

Is it wrong for club to interview others while telling RS his interview is an unspecified trial period of performances?

Not really.

I imagine RS has got some nice bonuses for winning and an uptick in salary for taking on the top job. 

Interviewing others doesn't necessarily lead to hiring them, just look at Jesse! It also gives the club a much stronger hand for negotiating if the caretaker is going great guns as we can always walk away from a bad deal and let RS loose...

• Like 1

Personally I think the moment talks with Marsch collapsed it was Selles until the end of the season at least. They clearly wanted a move back towards Ralph’s style, and the ‘playbook’ that has been implemented throughout the club. They may have had doubts over whether Selles was quite ready yet, or perhaps wanted him to be Marsch’s successor at the end of his short term deal. I haven’t seen a single other name linked by anyone remotely reputable since Marsch was ruled out, I agree on no rush for Selles to be given the full time job officially but personally I don’t think we’re getting another manager in this season regardless of what happens. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I think the search now should be for a good assistant. Selles can't do it all.

I don’t disagree, but Selles was very engaged with Carl Martin on the sideline yesterday, so he’s not on his own. But yes, if Selles is to be the man he deserves a chance to shape his own team around him.

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

I don’t disagree, but Selles was very engaged with Carl Martin on the sideline yesterday, so he’s not on his own. But yes, if Selles is to be the man he deserves a chance to shape his own team around him.

True, but if Martin was to be Assistant then who does what Martin did before. We are currently 3 bodies down on where we were.

• Like 1

I think Ralph was just burnt out and had lost a lot of the players probably due to his persona and maybe because he gave them some home truths. They weren't good enough for him after that FA cup win v West Ham for a huge number of games. Would have been interesting the see how he got on if he had this money we have spent recently from the start of his rein.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Saint IQ said:

I think Ralph was just burnt out and had lost a lot of the players probably due to his persona and maybe because he gave them some home truths. They weren't good enough for him after that FA cup win v West Ham for a huge number of games. Would have been interesting the see how he got on if he had this money we have spent recently from the start of his rein.

Ralph seemed burnt out at the end of last season. Then, in pre-season, the club made a number of transfers that looked like Ralph had minimal input with, and they forced him to recruit a coach that they had to approve. There was also the disaster of switching to 3 CBs during pre-season, who knows where that came from. It was fairly clear that Ralph was dialling it in from then onwards, he likely knew he was a dead man walking and probably didn’t mind the idea of walking away with a decent pay off.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Ralph seemed burnt out at the end of last season. Then, in pre-season, the club made a number of transfers that looked like Ralph had minimal input with, and they forced him to recruit a coach that they had to approve. There was also the disaster of switching to 3 CBs during pre-season, who knows where that came from. It was fairly clear that Ralph was dialling it in from then onwards, he likely knew he was a dead man walking and probably didn’t mind the idea of walking away with a decent pay off.

It's a shame really, as there were definitely periods under Ralph that we looked a decent outfit and were in the upper parts of the league.

Like the poster above says, it would have been interesting to see what Ralph's reign would have looked like with this-January-level investment from the outset.

As for Selles, I really do hope he's the real deal and we've got ourselves a strong manager. Even if we were relegated (still a likely prospect) but played well and picked up some wins and draws, I'd like to see how he would get on in the Championship.

• Like 2

On 20/02/2023 at 19:03, Saint IQ said:

I think it started to go down hill the moment he came out and  postulated a retirement date. I think we have all had it at one job or another where you were bossing it but then the moment it’s gets in your head it might be time to go but you can’t leave for 6 months or so, your love and passion for the job dwindles, even if you don’t intend it to.

so you are right about burn out and I wander if in Ralph’s head the balance of Saints vs spending more time with the wife and family was changing every passing day.. I just think his passion had gone and he had lost the fight a little. 

Neil Warnock on the other hand lives for this!! He can’t let go.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, saint in Den Haag said:

I think it started to go down hill the moment he came out and  postulated a retirement date. I think we have all had it at one job or another where you were bossing it but then the moment it’s gets in your head it might be time to go but you can’t leave for 6 months or so, your love and passion for the job dwindles, even if you don’t intend it to.

so you are right about burn out and I wander if in Ralph’s head the balance of Saints vs spending more time with the wife and family was changing every passing day.. I just think his passion had gone and he had lost the fight a little. 

Neil Warnock on the other hand lives for this!! He can’t let go.

I think Ralph has a different outlook on life after battling hantavirus and he is a big family man.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8975827/Ralph-Hasenhuttl-opens-ravaged-deadly-virus-eight-years-ago-ahead-Wolves-trip.html

• Like 1

On 19/02/2023 at 10:32, Turkish said:

Currently posting as Bad Wolf and Saturday girl, no doubt a few others as well. Very weird behaviour though but then he is weird 

That's so disappointing, I was starting to develop "feelings" for Saturday Girl, and I'm not one of those modern "fluid" types, so  I will have to think again.

Edited by Toussaint
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

That's so disappointing, I was starting to develop "feelings" for Saturday Girl, and I'm not one of those modern "fluid" types, so  I will have to think again.

IN saintsweb tradition why dont you arrange a meet at Turnstyle A?

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I didn't realise SaturdayGirl and Bad Wolf were the same person until it was far, far too late 😪

Has anyone got any hemorrhoid cream?

it was a moment of hilarity when they both posted exactly the same thing, word for word within a few minutes of each other #wronglogin

• Haha 5

On 19/02/2023 at 08:27, Chewy said:

I’m also missing DT these last few hours. Hope he’s ok, unlike him to be silent when we’ve won a game.

Anyway, much as I’m delighted with yesterday I think we should wait a couple more games before committing to Selles. Even mad Nate got a couple of wins on the spin. I’d say if he can get to the end of the Leicester game unbeaten and - most critically- look to have the players organised and playing for him still, he will deserve it long-term. But one amazing result, pleasing as it is, is not enough to go on IMHO.

I think I agree. One win doesn't guarantee he is the manager for us or what we want but I am quietly hopefully as there was a change in the team.

Ahhh. Knowing SR they've probably been waiting for Potter or someone like that anyway.